• Published 10th Feb 2023
  • 953 Views, 19 Comments

Princess Luna’s Anthology of Final Wishes - Drunk Luna



Princess Luna has the most difficult, most sacred duty imaginable. These are the stories of the ponies she has guided and comforted when they needed her most.

  • ...
3
 19
 953

Pink Champagne

As one could probably guess, Canterlot Retirement Community was always in need of Luna's services. The princess of the night glided effortlessly to the ground and trotted to the skilled nursing facility, where the nurses in the hallway curtsied to Luna as she made her way to her destination, giving them kind smiles but never stopping. In Luna's line of work, time was of the essence. Luna came to the upscale nursing home every single night, and the lives that naturally met their peaceful closes there provided her with a small respite from the tragic, horrific deaths with which she was so often required to assist. Canterlot's nursing home was occupied by the city's wealthiest elderly ponies, many of whom were aristocrats, so Luna knew many of them, but not the pony she was going to see tonight.

Even before she opened the door to Room 328, Luna could hear the familiar "death rattle" coming from the pony in the bed. No matter how many times she heard the sound, Luna was always affected by the loud, labored gurgling that often preceded a pony's last breath. As she looked at the framed pictures that adorned the walls of the spacious room, Luna felt herself smiling in spite of the death rattle. This pony had clearly lived a long, full, happy life. A black and white wedding photo was situated on the mare's nightstand, in which a glowing young bride stood next to a handsome young stallion in his army dress uniform. Family portraits, pictures of family members holding foals, photos of smiling little ones that gradually turned into photos of smiling adults, and precious little trinkets had been lovingly placed on every available surface. Luna sighed with relief and entered the dream realm.

Pink Champagne, who was now young and beautiful once again, stood in the center of the dreamscape, searching frantically. When she saw Luna, the mare galloped over, clearly distraught even though her dementia had been instantly vanquished from her mind and body.

"Princess Luna," she said, bobbing a curtsy, "where is he? Where is my darling Black Tie? I need to see him. We haven't been apart for this long since he went away to Germany to fight back in forty-one. Please let me see him."

"Fret not, dear one," Luna soothed the mare, placing a comforting hoof on Pink Champagne's shoulder. "I'm sure you already know that three of your most fervent wishes will be granted, do you not? Is there anything else you would like?"

"No," Pink Champagne said firmly. "Just make sure my children and grandchildren will be taken care of, and take me home to my Black Tie. We were childhood sweethearts, grew up across the street from each other, went to school together all the way through college, we were married for seventy-four years, had five wonderful children together, followed by ten grandchildren, fourteen great-grandchildren, and two great-great-grandchildren. We have already been blessed beyond measure. I'm ready to go, Princess. Please, just take me home to my dear husband. I've been waiting for this day for two years. I have no regrets about this life; I have lived it to the fullest, and I'm ready to join my darling Black Tie." Luna gave the mare an understanding smile, knowing that no more words were necessary. She lit her horn and revealed Heaven's gates, then looked down at Pink Champagne, who was prancing with excitement. When she looked back at the gates, Luna saw the same handsome young stallion from the mare's pictures, waiting for Pink Champagne with open hooves. The pink unicorn took off and leapt into her husband's embrace, eternally reunited with the love of her life. Luna's throat tightened. Though she witnessed such long-anticipated reunions on a daily basis, the sheer purity and sweetness of such reunions always brought tears to her eyes. Smiling through her tears, the princess of the night turned and left to assist more transitioning souls.