• Published 3rd Feb 2023
  • 7,007 Views, 745 Comments

Words of Power - Starscribe



Eric wasn't supposed to hit an alien with his pickup. Now he's one of them, caught up in a desperate bid to keep an ancient Kirin sorceress from conquering the world. Eric might be the only hope for both worlds, if he doesn't burn them first.

  • ...
25
 745
 7,007

Chapter 12

Another few days passed. Lotus spent them as productively as she could, running endlessly over the practice exercises a princess in another world had sent. At least she was making some small amount of progress—she could hold objects in the air now, so long as they weren't too heavy. That meant she didn't have to stick her face into food to eat it anymore.

If only she had trusted her entire savings to invest in meme stocks, maybe she could've bought a cabin in the woods somewhere, and wouldn't be trapped indoors to study. With a few months and plenty of space, Lotus could probably figure out how those more advanced spells worked without much risk.

She had no such time. Everyday Iron Feather reminded her of the growing danger—that “Luna wasn't telling them” how things were doing in Equestria, no matter how often he asked. That could only mean that things were grim. They needed to bring the book back, and seal away the dangerous sorceress it contained.

It wasn't that Lotus didn't care about the disaster happening in another world—but it was hard to invest the same energy in it that Iron did, when she had so many of her own problems.

He could say as many nice things as he wanted, she wasn't cut out to be an academic. She needed to be doing something. But Gus wouldn't even let her out back to help toss camping gear into her pickup. Even at night, he insisted the risk of discovery was too great. "Someone might be watching. Once you're on YouTube, it's all over."

He was probably right—someone would notice. But what was she supposed to do?

She would take any opportunity to escape, even if that was just into Gus's room for a few minutes with a camera in her face.

It could only happen when Iron had gone to sleep, or else the pegasus would just remind her to study some more. But like a bird, he rose at sunrise every day, and rarely lasted long past sunset. Much as Eric had always lived, albeit not by choice. But since she’d been fired, she saw no reason to suffer.

Gus sat her down on a cushion, with a sheet of green behind her and a GoPro sitting on a tripod just in front of her.

"Just a few questions," he said, rolling his computer chair over to the other side of the tripod. "I know it sucks, but this whole thing is kinda—incredible. So far as we know, you're the first human being to become something else. You're the first human being to be exposed to what we're calling 'magic'. You're becoming the first person to ever learn it, as well. We have to document this."

"You say first like there will be others," she muttered. Lotus set the heavy book down beside her on the cushion, careful to keep her rump firmly down. With all her time studying, there just wasn't time to worry about things like “making clothes.” "I'm hoping no one else ever goes through this. If you want to, you could go ahead and take a second turn with this."

She levitated the book up into the air beside her, turning it towards him. Despite her words, she didn't open the cover. The last thing she wanted was to blast Gus with a kirin-shaped transformation.

Her friend pushed the book away with one hand. "I'm content with the digital images you've been recording from its pages. I got lucky once, I'm not going to gamble a second time. Now why don't you tell me about how you feel. And... the future.

"Look, I know you can be nervous. I was nervous sometimes when I started streaming too." He reached up to his desk, then set something down on top of the camera—a little wooden bird. She wasn't sure what kind, but from the beak, maybe a woodpecker? "Just look at my friend here. Pretend you're talking to him, not the camera."

She rolled her eyes. "I'm not a kid, Gus. I can do an interview. What do you want to know?"

He asked a half-dozen different questions—pretty much what she'd been expecting. How well was she adjusting to walking on four legs, did she feel dumber now that her head was smaller, what was it like to float things with her mind? He stayed away from the questions she really didn't want to answer, and the stuff she didn't want to think about.

But either he thought “what is it like to be a girl?” wasn't newsworthy, or maybe he realized that half the population already knew perfectly well. Gus's attitude towards the whole thing might annoy her, but at least he was respecting her wishes. He was still her best friend, Eric or Lotus.

"I'd like to see a little magic for the camera," he finally said. "More than floating things. I thought there were other kinds in that book. Maybe you could go over the one you've been practicing."

"I..." She settled the book onto the ground in front of her, then flipped through to page 358—the spell she'd been memorizing, that would help her find places worlds were thin. If she really put the effort in, she was sure she could get it to work.

"There wouldn't be anything to see with this one," she said, looking up again. "If it works, it will let me feel things I wouldn't normally see. Future audiences won't see anything."

Gus set his clipboard down. "Have you been practicing anything else? It wouldn't have to be very big, I'd just like to make sure the documentary has it clear: that magic can do more than just float things. Anything at all?"

She hesitated, flicking through the book ahead of her. There were all kinds of incredible spells in here—or they would be incredible to someone who knew how to make them work. She didn't, so they were just a list of promises.

Except for another familiar page, the only other one she'd been studying. The transformation magic.

Lotus had kept her word—she hadn't tried to cast this. But she couldn't study the same few pages day after day. "That depends. Did you still plan on dying your hair black?"

Gus gestured vaguely into a corner of the room, where a shiny box sat half-buried by dirty laundry.

There were some advantages to levitation. For one, Lotus would never have braved touching anything in that pile with actual hands. But magic was different. Distance was also a far more flexible quantity. Halfway across the room? No problem! It was the weight that mattered most, as well as trying to hold two things at once.

"Every winter. So what?"

She set the box down. "Well, you've been interviewing me about what it's like to be transformed. I've spent lots of it trying to find a way to reverse what happened. This spell right here is for transformation, maybe even the same one that happened to me."

Gus stiffened in his seat. He rolled it a little ways from her, eyes going wide. "I'm not so curious about your condition that I want to go through it too, Lotus. We need me to help hide you, to keep the house supplied. I don't want to be a horse."

"I know!" She lifted the box up again. "The spell doesn't force me to make you into another species. I can change little things too, like your hair-color. You'd never have to dye it again."

Gus relaxed. "Really? Damn, that would be awesome. Can you get the eyebrows too? It always looks weird when you don't, but the kit says not to. I think you go blind if you get that stuff in your eyes."

His tone made it obvious—Lotus had him then. Her first volunteer for a spell that actually mattered. The first steps to changing back.

Gus tilted the camera to the side, then sat down beside her on the ground, clearly in view. "Hair color seems like a great test. If it goes wrong, I can always dye it for a bit, until you're ready to try again. It won't hurt, will it?"

"Of course not." Lotus propped up the book in front of her, using the dye kit that Gus soon wouldn't need. "It didn't hurt when my things got all changed into horse things. You're going from brown hair to black, that's way easier."

She spoke with confidence. "Just sit still while I read this. Once the spell starts, don't move—I have no idea what that would do. So stay still no matter how bad your hair-day becomes."

Gus grinned back at her, then looked into the camera. "Consider this the first brave new day. When this is over, when we've returned the explorer to his homeworld, know that Lotus and I were the first. We will be the first to experience this new power. We do so bravely, like every explorer who came before us."

Lotus rolled her eyes. "I'm not teleporting you to the Moon, Gus. I'm just changing a color."

Gus shrugged. "You say that like this power won't change the world. Even when you're back to normal, when Iron Feather is gone, humans aren't going to forget about this stuff. Imagine what kind of problems that magic will solve, how much things will change. You may not be going to the Moon, but you're still a little like Armstrong. Which makes me Buzz Aldrin, I guess. I think I'd punch someone who said it was a soundstage like he did."

Lotus took another moment to collect herself for the spell. If she retreated and took the time to think about what she was about to do, she probably shouldn't be trying something so difficult for her very first spell. But if she slowed down now, Iron Feather might wake up. He would only be more upset with her for trying.

"Alright, ready," she said. "It only took a few seconds when it happened to me, I'm sure yours will go quick too—" Granted, the magic had knocked her unconscious when it hit her...

Then she started reading. They weren't words exactly, not in any language she spoke. But taken together, the sounds formed an important foundation for the magic she was casting. Her horn started to glow, just as when she was moving things around. It only took a few seconds for the light to grow, from a violet to brighter than the camera a few seconds later.

All she had to do now was focus on black hair. Just like the black box of dye in front of her. The pattern of the spell was incredibly complex. She had to hold it in her mind while she read, and do more than just speak.

"Did anything change?" Gus asked. He reached up, running one hand through his hair. "I feel... something, I dunno what. It's not exactly on my head."

She wanted to scream at him to shut up, let her concentrate. But if she stopped reading, she would just be inviting something much worse.

Picture black hair, not the little bird perched on the camera in front of them, not her own horse-shaped reflection in the lens, not Gus going on and on wondering when the magic was going to start.

Finally she finished. Her horn flashed. As it did, the bulbs overhead swelled with light, then vanished, plunging them into darkness. Only the dim blue glow of a computer display remained to light the space. Somehow, that was more than enough for her. Kirin eyes worked well in the dark.

"Woah, I think it worked!" Gus reached up, running one hand through his hair. "It feels different, anyway. I guess this is magic."

She watched as light brown hair turned dark before her eyes. It looked almost perfect, except that it wasn't even hair anymore. Were those feathers?

"Hmm... slight problem." His voice changed, becoming higher, narrower somehow. "I think there may be... a slight side-effect."

Lotus stared, frozen in shock and horror as his mouth lengthened and stretched out into a long, pointed beak. That would've been bad enough, if the spell had actually ended. It had not.

"Shit, Eric! I think it's still going!"

Author's Note:

This great art is by Pridark!