• Published 3rd Feb 2023
  • 7,004 Views, 745 Comments

Words of Power - Starscribe



Eric wasn't supposed to hit an alien with his pickup. Now he's one of them, caught up in a desperate bid to keep an ancient Kirin sorceress from conquering the world. Eric might be the only hope for both worlds, if he doesn't burn them first.

  • ...
25
 745
 7,004

Chapter 36

Lotus waited by the cliff as the pegasi descended, backing only far enough away that she wouldn't be so close to the precarious edge. Not that she was afraid of heights exactly, but... she didn't have wings. The last thing she needed was a fatal fall only a few minutes before her rescue!

She took a few seconds to straighten her mane as best she could, settle her saddlebags onto her shoulders.

Then they arrived. Two of the three remained in the air, about twenty feet up. They circled slowly around, as though keeping watch. That might just mean they were afraid of her, and didn't want to get within range of her flames.

Iron Feather had no such qualms. He landed in front of her, and looked like he might pull her into an embrace—then he stopped, glancing once over his shoulder to the others in his flight.

He stiffened then, offering a single hoof to shake. "Miss Lotus. I'm... relieved to see that you're alive. With what happened when we left you..."

Iron Feather had fresh armor, a complete set of the same stuff he wore when Eric hit him with the truck. This was polished to a shine, undented and unscratched. It might have come fresh from the blacksmith's table for all she knew. He did look sharp wearing all that. Maybe she could understand what people said about uniforms...

She took his offered hoof. "We're not strangers, Iron. You don't have to talk to me like that."

He flushed, tail folding slightly backward. "That's true. But I've been told... not to repeat anything that might be useful to our enemies while down here. The princess would like to bring you aboard, and take you to the bridge. Will we be in danger if we bring you?"

She shook her head once. "No. But I would turn around. You don't want to be over here. Get as far away from this mountain as possible."

"You can tell her that!" one of the pegasi shouted from overhead, voice sharp with suspicion. "Don't try anything, Kirin! If we feel the heat, we can drop you!"

She settled onto her haunches, looking away from the shouting mare. "What does she mean, drop me? I assume the princess is going to... send a boat?"

In answer, Iron approached, wrapping one foreleg around hers at the shoulder. "No time. Even less than we thought, apparently. We'll carry you."

As he said it, another soldier landed on her other side, another stallion. This one was stockier than Iron, with larger wings. A different breed, maybe? She knew so little about ponies. But maybe that was going to change.

"I don't want to drop you," he said. "Corporal Feather here says you're the hero who saved his life, got him to Equestria, and protected an important relic."

"I'm not the evil sorceress. I only do my magic on purpose."

She held still, letting him reach sideways for her and take her other foreleg. The stranger's grip wasn't as gentle as Iron's—but she knew what he felt like. Now all they needed was somewhere private to talk.

Then they jerked upward, lifted in a sharp vertical line towards the airship. They moved with surprising speed for three animals that should've been walking around on hooves, and all of which had armor.

Her back legs dangled beneath her, all her weight now hanging precariously from only her front legs.

Okay, so maybe she was a little afraid of heights. This wasn't the smooth ascent of a jet, or even the steady vibration of a helicopter. They ascended in jerks and twitches, a little faster with each flap. Worse, the engines seemed to be actively slowing with every second they rose. The two ponies might be muscular stallions, but they also had finite endurance. What if they dropped her?

One glance down was more than she wanted—they'd left the cliff, leaving a steep drop of hundreds of feet extending below them to broken rocks.

Not even with the spell book could Lotus cast herself out of that one. If they let go...

She whimpered, leaning to one side to cling tighter to Iron Feather—or she tried, anyway. That only tilted them sideways, and slowed their ascent even further. Now they were out of balance.

"We have you," Iron said, glancing sideways long enough to meet her eyes. "I'm not going to drop you. Don't you trust me?"

Considering everything else they'd done together, how couldn't she? Her heart still raced, her breathing was still shallow and ragged—but she stopped struggling. Enough that they were actually making upward progress again, along the side of the polished silver vessel. A distant glance really wasn't enough to see the scale of this thing—it must be the size of a battleship! Though the guns were much smaller, and it lacked anything like a sensor suite—only the fins for navigation, and the huge engines on its underside.

Finally they touched down on a balcony, surrounded by the roar of wind and the rumble of machinery far below. The stallion on her right released her quickly, backing away as though he'd just discovered she might be infected with a deadly disease.

Not Iron. He held on for a few seconds, running his other hoof through her mane. "It's okay. We wouldn't normally carry a ground pony up like that, but... it's an emergency. There's an evil sorceress on the loose, and you have the only way to fight her."

"I—" Suddenly she was avoiding his eyes. "You said the princess was waiting for me? I can't wait to meet my magic teacher. After all those weeks reading her letters..."

Iron Feather let go. "Of course. Welcome aboard the Svalinn. By Princess Luna's orders, you're her royal guest."

"But don't get any ideas," snapped the same mare as before. She landed behind them, about the same distance away as she had flown. Yet there were more shiny silver bits on her armor—was she Iron's superior? "My marines will have their eyes on you at all times. If you're a friend to Equestria, you'll cause no harm on this ship."

Lotus nodded quickly. "I think that's a given. I wouldn't want to ignite your lift gas. Unless... do you use helium? Is that enough lift for a ship so big?"

They shared a look. All three seemed confused. But it was Iron who spoke. "What is a lift... gas?"

"Then how—" She stopped short, a dozen different questions dying on her tongue. How did it fly? Why make it so large if it wasn't to hold lift gasses in the middle? Why such a similar shape? But asking them now might very well seem like an enemy agent trying to extract military secrets from Equestria. "Nevermind. We need to see the princess, right?"

"Right." Iron gestured towards the doorway behind them, melded into the aerodynamics of the deck. Even so, her mane whipped about in front of her, totally wild. At least she wasn't light enough to get pushed right off the side. "This way. The bridge is one deck below."

"Is Gus there?"

He chuckled. "Not yet, no. The princess is interested in meeting visitors from another world, but he doesn't have any tactical information on the sorceress."

They walked together—past several checkpoints packed with guards. At each one, Lotus felt sharp eyes on her, filled with suspicion and outright hostility. Yet whatever these ponies thought of her, none actually tried to hurt her. Just a few scowls, and they were through, out of a metal corridor into one lined with fine, polished wood. Windows stretched along three sides, offering a commanding view of the landscape all around.

They were all the way out, the nose of the strange equestrian vessel. So either they had another bridge to use during battles, or they didn't expect this ship to do much fighting.

It was a round space about fifty feet across, with stations packed near the middle and the windows all clear for observation. A dozen or so ponies were scattered about, some at stations, others passing messages or standing watch as guards.

Her eyes darted instantly to one pony in particular, drawn there as though by gravity. Because of course, there was a princess aboard.

Lotus had heard the Princess of the Night described more than once—Iron Feather had worked in her service! But hearing about her was one thing—standing in her presence was quite another.

"We brought the kirin aboard, ma'am. She appears cooperative, but I would take care to remain alert with her. There's no telling what hostility she might be hiding."

The princess turned away from her view of the outside, leaving a cascading trail of deep blue afterimages where her mane moved. The flicker of stars appeared in those dark patches, then faded again just as quickly.

Beside her, Iron Feather saluted. One of her hooves twitched, and she very nearly did the same—instead, she lowered her head into a bow to the princess. Whether deep enough or merely perfunctory, she couldn't say. But maybe it didn't matter.

Then the princess was standing over her, looming with a regal bearing and confidence. But strangely, not the completely overwhelming blast of magic she expected. Searing Gale had radiated so much power that standing beside her felt like it might sweep Lotus right off the world. But maybe the princess was just better about hiding it.

"I wouldn't worry. This is Lotus Cinder, Corporal Feather? Is that correct?"

"Yes, ma'am." He lowered one hoof to the ground. "I believe you already know her with some familiarity—her weaknesses and considerable strengths. You will find her in every way as I described."

"Rise, Lotus," the princess said. She felt the brush of something against her cheek—a feather. Not strong enough to force her of course. The pony was just encouraging her. If she wanted to force anything from Lotus, there was very little she could do to stop it. Much as with Searing Gale, she was now meddling in the affairs of beings vastly beyond herself.

There was another difference. Looking up, these eyes didn’t burn her away. The princess was definitely the largest creature in the room, but not much taller than the stallions. Despite her visible youth, her expression was so... tired. This princess was old, leaving wisdom in her eyes Lotus had only seen before in her grandfather before he passed.

But her Grandpa had nothing on this princess.

"It's an honor, princess. Thanks for all your magic lessons."

The Alicorn chuckled, then waved her wing at the watching soldiers. "Thank you, sergeant. Your squad may return to your station."

They saluted again, including Iron. Before Lotus could open her mouth, the stallion departed out the way he'd come.

"We will speak in my office," the princess continued. "But before we do, you were just on the ground. Iron and the griffon suggested that Searing Gale was here. Should we confront her?"

"No!" Lotus said quickly. Not just because the village was that way, and the airship would surely see it already if it wasn't for all the smoke. The closer they got, the more likely someone would have eyes sharp enough to pierce it all. And if they did—would the ponies take out their anger against the town? Hono had already suffered enough.

"She's not here, princess. And I don't think sailing out to meet her is very... strategic. For reasons."

"Reasons," repeated a pony behind her. He was an older stallion, sitting in the fanciest chair on deck. That cap probably made him captain. "Not a forthright tribe, are they? So that part of the legend is true."

"She was always forthright with me," Luna countered. "Reverse course, captain. Sail for Canterlot at the best possible speed. Take us above the clouds."

"Aye, ma'am." He started shouting orders, and the ponies at their stations rushed to obey. But as fascinating as it would be to watch, Lotus wasn’t in a place to study aerial navigation right now. Maybe later, if she stayed in Equestria long enough. But that would never happen...

Luna turned, inclining her head to a side door Lotus hadn't noticed before. Not the one she'd entered, though it was in the same direction. Through it was a smaller room, an office.

The princess shut the door behind them, then gestured for Lotus to take a seat. "Before we go further—I need to know what happened. My officer and your friend were in considerable shock when they arrived. This is typical of exposure to powerful magic—those creatures inexperienced with spellcasting often find themselves unable to articulate specific details. Magic blurs the perceptions, warps memory. They are not the only ones to suffer thus."

The princess settled into a sitting position opposite Lotus. This office might be hers now, but it clearly wasn't built for her. The table was just a little too low, and her horn came precariously close to scraping against the ceiling when she was on her haunches. Searing Gale wouldn't have fit. Lotus had no problem, fortunately.

Even so, Lotus had a hard time believing her friends had their memories scrambled. They're protecting the village because they know I care. Even Iron.

"My journal... suffered considerable damage." The princess lifted something from the floor—a dustbin, filled with ash and bits of charred wood. Only the metal clasps remained, and even they were warped out of shape. "I admit, I was not optimistic for your survival. Iron did know Searing had arrived. I assume she kept you captive for these last few weeks?"

Lotus shook her head once. "I'll tell you everything, princess. But I ask—please—keep the innocent from harm. Creatures who don't deserve it may suffer more if this information escapes this room."

The princess tilted her head slightly, along with a smile. Her horn glowed, and suddenly the sound of conversation and ponies outside fell silent. Lotus had seen that spell before of course—Rain Shine used the same one.

"Protecting the innocent is a particular passion of mine. Perhaps to a fault, as you will discover if you explore our history. I assume the account you will give me also includes information about why the phylactery is not in your presence?"

Lotus flushed, tail whipping painfully against the floor involuntarily. "I—yeah. That was part of the story. How did you know?"

"Based on our past conversations, I'm certain you would be eager to have it out of your possession as quickly as possible. As you did not offer it to me, I conclude you do not have it. Am I wrong?"

"No. But the innocent have nothing to do with that. How much did Iron and Gus tell you?"

"Very little. They insisted on a rescue, and I obliged. I know nothing more than your last message, when you successfully arrived in our world. Congratulations for that casting, by the way. Few of Equestria's most skillful unicorns could attempt such a feat. Forgive the lack of a formal welcome—we'll make sure it's appropriately grand, once the immediate danger is resolved. But please, tell me."

She did. Lotus concealed almost nothing about the exchange—not the discovery and capture by kirins, not the existence of their village, not the confiscation of their books and preventing their escape. Only when it came to Iron Feather did she withhold any details. The princess didn't need to know how close they had become, or what they did with their spare time.

The princess was now among only three people who might know what Eric used to be.

But then came Searing Gale's dramatic arrival, and she had much less to hide. The fall of the village defenses, her friends’ escape, then the Nirik's awful attack. She described the conflict, and the villagers’ refusal to join Searing. That part was important—the princess had to know the other kirin weren't complicit in this. They were victims as surely as any of the Equestrians.

Finally, she recounted that last confrontation under the ruined castle. Her own futile resistance, Searing's discovery of the vault, and what she did to its contents.

Lotus sat back in her chair, tail curled around her leg and ears pressed flat. Or maybe it was utter exhaustion, making the situation seem even more grim than the details suggested.

Either way, she couldn't make eye contact with the princess as she finished. "I'm so sorry, princess. In the end, we failed. Searing Gale... got her book. I couldn't stop her. I'm not the hero Equestria needed."

Princess Luna's face remained entirely inscrutable. She watched Lotus, but what she was searching for, the kirin couldn't read. Maybe she wondered if she was a spy? Or whether she was worth the risk to keep around at all. Whatever happened, there was obviously very little for Lotus Cinder to offer Equestria now. She was just one member of a very dangerous species, with less discipline than some of the foals in Hono.

"This is... disturbing news. My sister will wish to hear this account—she has an ear for detail that I do not. She destroyed one of her phylacteries—utterly confounding."

Lotus should probably just keep her mouth shut. She'd failed the princess, and was already at her mercy. Working at a long series of dead-end jobs had taught her that much—the best way not to get the boot was to keep her head down.

But if she wasn't curious, she probably wouldn't have stopped when she hit Iron on the side of the road. "What does it mean, exactly? Destroying the book."

The princess didn't react with anger. She didn't even seem surprised by the question. "Kirin are a... strange tribe. Your souls are divided—either you have two, or one soul is split into two essences. Whichever theory you believe, what matters is that Searing Gale split herself in two. That was not Equestria's doing, but her own. She gave us the idea of trapping her in a book, when she sealed away her kirin half. I believe you came to know it intimately."

Lotus nodded nervously. She knew the words—and more importantly, she knew its whispers, prying little gaps into her soul, urging her to burn the ones she loved for power. "Y-yeah. I do."

"With one half gone, that part of her soul should be... gone with it. If she wanted to take it back, she would have consumed the phylactery. Burning it is something else."

"Searing Gale doesn't want to be a kirin ever again," Lotus said. She wasn't sure where the words came from exactly, but she spoke with sudden confidence. "She thinks it makes us weak—we feel sadness and loneliness and compassion. But Nirik don't. It's all fire then, and fuel."

For an instant, those words almost brought the whispers back. Lotus twitched, scratching the back of her head with one hoof. There was something there, almost close enough to reach—and it was gone again.

More dark memories. Who knew how long she would need to heal?

Princess Luna rose to her hooves. "I need to compose several messages to our generals. But know this, Lotus Cinder. You may have failed to retrieve the phylactery—but that does not make you a failure. What you have learned about our enemy may preserve many lives. I know from your letters you have done so several times already. You sent Iron Feather and the griffon to safety, instead of fleeing yourself. You are no failure."

Lotus stood up too. Water welled up from one eye, and she might've cried right there—if Luna hadn't levitated the door open. "Commander Sunspot. Are you there?"

"Here, ma'am." A unicorn stepped around the corner. She wore a different uniform than the soldiers, or even the crew at their stations. It was closest to the captain, though the patches weren't quite right. Her eyes settled briefly on Lotus, but moved off her just as quickly. She wasn't afraid.

"Take our guest to her quarters with the griffon. Or—" She sniffed, turning up her nose slightly. "Take her to the showers first. Then see she's properly fed. Then take her to her quarters." She turned, voice softening. "If you need anything during your stay, ask Ensign Moire. She will see it done."

"Thank you, princess." With that, she left the Night Princess behind.

Author's Note:

Today's awesome art was Klara! Another one for the wallpapers folder (at least mine, anyway)