• Published 28th Jan 2023
  • 2,277 Views, 83 Comments

Puss in Boots: The Philosopher's Stone - Child of Stars



Puss staved off Death, his relationship with Kitty has never been better, and he's got a new friend in Perrito! Nothing should have gone wrong, but an old enemy and a few new ones have come seeking power. Power that threatens Puss and those he loves.

  • ...
7
 83
 2,277

Prologue: Not Quite Dead

Twilight Sparkle was scared.

Now outwardly she didn’t show it. On the outside she seemed determined, self-assured, and confident. Like she was the valiant leader about to lead her soldiers into battle with a vicious beast. But on the inside, she was terrified.

She was just a unicorn from Canterlot with suspicions of a real mare in the moon. Now she was face to face with an alicorn as black as the midnight sky, Nightmare Moon herself. Sure, she had other ponies on her side who she had gotten to know a bit and even started to trust over the course of their small journey, but she couldn’t really call them true friends. She only knew bits and pieces about who they really were. She supposed she really did consider them friends if only barely. Hopefully if they all got out of this situation unscathed they could get to know one another even better.

Her adventure through the Everfree had caused her to grow at least close enough to each one of these ponies that the mysterious Elements of Harmony reacted to the spark of their fledgling friendship. Each element activated and found their respective wielder, including her after a small speech she had given to the dark alicorn of the night before them.

Fluttershy, a butter yellow pegasus with a soft pink mane, was the element of kindness.

Rainbow Dash, a cerulean pegasus with a technicolor mane, was the element of loyalty.

Pinkie Pie, a pink party pony with a curly bubblegum mane, was the element of laughter.

Applejack, a marmalade farm pony with a cowpony’s hat, was the element of honesty.

Rarity, a snow-white fashionista unicorn with an amethyst mane, was the element of generosity.

And with all of these mares acquiring their respective elements it was no surprise when upon her proclamation that Twilight Sparkle, a violet unicorn with an indigo mane that had one purple and one pink stripe in it, was made the embodiment of the element of magic.

From there everything should have been simple for the six intrepid mares. They should have been able to harness the powers of the elements. They should have been able to defeat the wicked Nightmare Moon. They should have rescued Celestia. And they should have celebrated in their victory. Everything should have been fine; yet it wasn’t.

The Elements of Harmony did indeed activate, and their magic did begin to flow. It was just in a way nopony could have expected. There were no rainbow lasers, no petrifications, and even no harmonic reformations. All that shot from the elements were some white electrical sparks and ripples through the air. The six mares were trapped, left hovering above the ground in their own elements’ magical aura.

“W-what the hay is going on!” Rainbow Dash let out in surprise. She looked at the rest of her new friends who were also stuck in the same predicament as her.

“I don’t know what’s goin’ on, but I can tell you it sure ain’t right!” yelled Applejack who struggled to even make the slightest of movements.

“Um, Twilight dear?” Rarity asked in a panic, “You’re the most knowledgeable on magic out of any of us here. Can you perhaps explain what is exactly happening right now?” The white mare tried to keep a level voice while struggling to right herself from the upside-down position she found herself in. “And rather soon if you could darling, I'm starting to get a bit dizzy.”

Twilight looked around lamely as she sought for an answer, yet none revealed themselves. Her determined mask started to slip as panic took over. What if she did something wrong? Did her magic cause this? Was she wrong about the elements? Could this be her fault somehow? Had she doomed Equestria? All were questions that swam around in her head till it hurt. Out of the corners of her eyes she could see the only two members of the group who hadn't spoken. Fluttershy was shaking like a leaf off to her left and Pinkie Pie was laughing off to her right, seeming to be the only pony who was enjoying this situation.

“I-I d-don’t,” Twilight stuttered as she failed to come up with a solution, “I don’t know what’s happening! The reference book never said anything about the elements doing something like this!”

“I know!” Rainbow suddenly shouted, startling the nearby Fluttershy even more, “This must be her fault!” She pointed an accusatory hoof at the dark alicorn in front of the group. The other five glance towards the night-themed alicorn only to see her staring back at them with immense confusion. It was clear to all that whatever was happening with the elements was not of Nightmare Moon’s doing.

“Okay, well, there has to be a ration-” Twilight started to say before being cut off as the elements started to glow brighter and hum. Then before anypony could even react to this new development the elements ripped themselves from their wielders and the air around them rippled wildly. Then in a flash, the elements released a beam of pure white energy that struck the six friends. It didn’t hurt, but the suddenness of it all caused five sets of screams and one of laughter to ring out around the ruins of the old Castle of the Two Sisters.

Then all at once a bright flash of light exploded from where the six mares were, causing a dumbstruck Nightmare Moon to shield her cat-like eyes with a black wing. When she lowered the appendage the smell of ozone was in the air, and a massive scorch mark was now in place of where six ponies once stood. It smoldered for a short time, but soon even that smoke was gone and the room was silent once more. The elements, which were still floating in the air, seemed to let out one last spark before they fell back to the floor in a clatter. Nightmare Moon flinched back at the noise before staring at the now stationary gems in front of her with apprehension.

She had done it. She had won. Now the night could last forever and everypony could relish in her beautiful night. They would all look upon the tapestry of stars she had woven with glee, and they would thank her for bringing everlasting darkness. They would never think about her sister or the sun again. They would all bow down and praise the new queen of Equestria, Queen Nightmare Moon. She would finally be happy and ponies would finally recognize her, see her. They would appreciate her and love her as they had her wretched sister. She would finally get what she so rightfully deserved after all her hard work. She would be loved.

That is what should have been going through the lunar pony’s head. Those were the thoughts she should have been having. Yet, she could not. She could not tear her eyes from The Elements of Harmony, nor could she think about anything else besides what had just transpired in front of her.

Slowly she broke out of her stupor as her lips twitched, clearly wanting to say something. If not to break the dead air, then at least to confirm that she was really there and what just happened actually happened. She parted her muzzle and hesitated, nothing came to her mind of what she should say. Millions of questions danced through her head at lightning speeds. None of them seemed to encapsulate all of her queries in one though, so none were spoken. That is until one question was pushed to the forefront of her mind, and she realized that in one simple word she could get across all her feelings. And so, with a herculean effort she forced herself to regain some semblance of control over her numb body and spoke the question that contained a million questions.

“What?”


Jack Horner was dead.

And he was a very mad boy because of it. He had it, right there in his giant hands! The power of the wish was almost his. He almost had all of the magic in the world to do what he pleased with it. But no, those cats and their stupid dog just had to go and ruin it all! This was his big moment! He was finally going to get what he was searching for-for so long! He was finally going to get what would’ve made him happy.

“This is ridiculous!” Jack said in annoyance, “Spanish splinter? Team friendship? Those are awful names! How was I beaten by stupid fairytale animals that used those kinds of names? What did I even specifically do to deserve like any of that? I should have won, end of story. The end. Put a nice little bow on it. It was my wish, the rest of them didn’t even want it! Why couldn’t they just have left me alone!” Jack was fuming as he ranted and waved his hands around wildly. Soon, however, his rant came to an end, and it dawned on him that he was supposed to be dead.

He looked down at his purple-suited body and examined every inch. It all looked to be there. He even tried pinching his skin, but nothing out of the ordinary seemed to occur. It was only at that moment did Jack take stock of his surroundings. He looked around quizzically at the infinite black void around him. A glance downwards revealed him to be standing on a black floor that appeared to have a thin layer of water residing upon its surface. Walking forward slightly caused the liquid to ripple in response.

“Huh,” Mr. Horner spoke, “Well if I’m actually dead and this is the afterlife this is going to get old quick. Because this is boring!” With his temper flaring the pie kingpin decided to take a walk to cool off, seeming as it was apparently the only thing to do.

It only took about a minute for the very small amount of novelty to wear off, “Okay, I am so totally over this whole endless void thing. Am I even actually dead or am I just unconscious or something?” he asked aloud as his voice echoed slightly in the expanse. Soon enough Jack found his answer in the form of an ominous whistle.

“Oh, don’t you worry ser humano, I can confirm your death myself,” a deep voice rang out across the void following the conclusion of the whistled tune.

“Wha?” Jack spun in a circle trying to locate who the voice belonged to, but couldn’t find anyone, “Show yourself, now!”

The ominous voice chuckled darkly, “Someone is eager to face death. And who am I to keep them waiting?” Suddenly a ring of red fire erupted from the ground around Jack forming a wide circle. With the new light Jack could just make out a silhouetted figure standing up close to the flames. He was wearing a cloak that seemed to billow in the same invisible wind as the fire.

“And who might you be?” Jack asked cautiously. He might have been quick to anger and rash, but he wasn’t stupid by any means. He knew what a bad predicament looked like when he was in one, and this situation’s flags were as red as the flames around him.

“Who am I?” the figure asked, inching closer to the baker’s boy, “I am the end of the road, the final stop before the finish line.” Swiftly and without warning the cloaked creature lunged forward and was in Jack’s face. Startled, plum thumb fell backwards onto his hands as he looked up into the face of a wolf. “I am Death.”

The edges of Death’s lips curled up in a slight smile at seeing the dumbfounded look upon Horner’s face, but they swiftly fell as a growl rose from the back of his throat. The wolf was a stark bone white with a gray mask-like marking across his face and down his snout. His beady eyes were a bright sinister red while his pupils were a pure black. The menacing predator loomed over Jack in a bipedal stance, adorned in a black cloak and brown trousers.

Quickly the crime boss regained his footing and stood back up to his full height. He was only slightly taller than the wolf, but still he tried to emphasize just how much he needed to look down at him. “You’re Death? Then why are you a wolf?! Aren’t you supposed to be a skeleton in a bathrobe or something? And where’s your scythe?” Jack questioned rapidly. He wasn’t going to be played a fool by some edgy big bad wolf. He was Big Jack Horner; he was the scariest thing in the room at all times.

The self-proclaimed death wolf only growled harder in response as red flames circled around and then engulfed his body. Jack staggered backwards in response and was horrified when from out of the flames stepped The Grim Reaper, with skeleton, scythe, and all. Said scythe was rapidly swung down inches from Jack’s face as he let out a little whimper of fear.

“Here I am, Jack,” the ghoul said hauntingly, “Death comes in many forms. What you saw was the appearance I took during my last hunt.”

Jack nervously pulled at his undershirt’s collar as sweat dripped down his face, “You know upon reflection I think I may have judged you a bit harshly. I liked your other appearance much better.”

The reaper’s appearance was engulfed by an inferno once more before the familiar white wolf reappeared, “Lucky for you, so do I.”

“Okay, okay I get it. You’re Death and you’re here to collect my soul. But where is here exactly?” the big man questioned as the wolf’s growl returned.

“First of all, this is purgatory, and second of all I’m not just here to collect your soul,” Death broke off with a huff, “If I was then we wouldn’t even be speaking right now.”

“Why?” Jack questioned.

“Because you’d be dead!” Death’s voice rattled limbo as it echoed loudly causing Jack to cover his ears. Death’s growl exploded into a harsh bark as he rushed forward with twin sickles drawn. He pounced on Jack and kicked him to the ground. With masterful control he carried his momentum downwards to land on the kingpin’s chest and bring the razor-sharp blades to his throat, pinning him to the watery floor. A small trickle of blood ran down Horner’s neck from a threatening cut carved out by Death’s tools.

“You and I are both here because you are special, Jack!” the wolf barked in his prey’s face as Jack withered under his glare. His squirming soon ceased when he realized that somehow, he was unable to move the wolf. “You are one of the most vile and cruel creatures I have ever had the misfortune to reap!” the irate wolf shouted in fury, “The way you treated your Baker’s Dozen, those closest to you, your family! The blatant disrespect for life was disgusting! You deserve some type of extra punishment before your hideous soul is dragged into the darkest pits of Hell.”

Jack was only stunned for a moment before firing back, “Well it’s not my fault if they were all so useless and constantly got in the way! And how do you even know that stuff anyway? Were you stalking me!?”

The two glared at each other for a second before Death spoke again, “Death is always watching, and no I wasn’t stalking you. My prey was actually the one who claimed to laugh in the face of death; the ‘legendary’ Puss in Boots. I just happened to notice your evil escapades while I was tracking that gato.”

“The cat is the reason I’m in this situation? What a horrible kitty! When I get my hands on him-”

“You won’t be getting your hands on him because you’re dead! I will be the last face you ever see before you take a long dip in the lake of fire, you villain.”

“Guilty as charged, but really don’t you think you’re being a bit excessive?” Jack said with a laugh, “Anyone I’ve murdered has deserved it, so I don’t think you’re being too fair here honestly.”

Death’s eyes burned with a cold rage as he spoke, “Nothing is fairer than death. It all comes for us in the end.”

“Yeah yeah I get the whole death is good angle or whatever, but I think you’re missing the point here. Just tell me one thing I specifically did to catch your ire and I’ll relent.” Jack smiled confidently as he thought the conversation was going his way. Death on the other paw had-had enough of Horner’s games.

“Your punishment has been decreed. May this reaping not be complete till every last inch of your body has been torn to shreds by my blades. Only then will you find the embrace of death to enrapture you,” Death spoke calmly before springing to life and raising his dual sickles.

“What no! Stop!” Jack cried out in a panic as the big bad wolf brought his blades down on him, intending to pierce his flesh. But Death’s blades did not connect with their target. They cut easily through thin air before striking the watery floor hard enough to crack it.

“What?!” Death raged aloud as he stood up and looked at the empty spot where Jack Horner just was. He stomped on the ground as he swung his head wildly around trying to locate his target, but to no avail. That’s when a strange yet familiar stench reached Death’s nose. It was the smell of something he loathed.

Even above a cat wasting his nine lives, above a human not caring about others’ lives, and those who try and pompously challenge Death himself. Even all of those could not compare to the hatred he bore for the foul thing he smelled. It left him unable to claim a soul that was rightfully his, and it stopped him from going after the caster of the accursed spell unless they themselves cast it upon themselves.

Death had only experienced the wicked spell a pawful of times, but every time he did it always turned into an infuriating mess. The spell he despised, it was the dreadful spell of, “Necromancy.”


Jack awoke with a shout. He was panting heavily trying to catch his breath. He couldn’t exactly remember what he had just experienced, it was like a dream. It was fleeting as only bits of it remained in his mind.

Perhaps it was a dream, but it all felt too real to just be his brain’s work of fiction. After the shock wore off Jack’s attention was quickly shifted from his frightening experience to his current surroundings. He seemed to be in an old, dilapidated castle throne room. The windows that lined the room told him that it was nighttime outside.

He surveyed his surroundings some more before questioning aloud with a confused tone, “And where exactly am I now?” A dark chuckle split the air as a surprised Jack quickly spun to face the one who dared mock him. His wild search ended as his gaze was drawn to shadows shifting upon an old throne. The throne was at the top of a balcony overlooking the rest of the throne room and where Jack currently resided.

The dark figure that sat upon the throne was cast in shadow, making it impossible to make them out. Jack still tried, squinting. The only detail he could make out were a pair of slitted eyes as the creature’s voice boomed to life.

“Welcome, Jack Horner! We have much to discuss.”