• Published 6th Jan 2023
  • 10,907 Views, 1,434 Comments

An Alternative Ending - ultrapoknee



When you discard something, it's easy to forget the wrongs you committed. But, more times than not, the past always comes back to remind you of your fallibility.

  • ...
42
 1,434
 10,907

The Element of Laughter

Author's Note:

Hey, if anyone knows any other things Pinkie did, let me know. It's hard shifting through all these episodes.:twilightblush: Enjoy.

[Canterlot Memorial Park.]


"Creatures for Equestria?" Twilight asks.

"Yeah, it's a new movement to help the non-ponies in Equestria. Did you know that all these creatures behind me are not considered equal? Most, if not all, the creatures behind me are seen as pets, disposable workers, and downright enslaved beings in everything but name. You are a Princess. Did you not see the concern of your subjects?"

"O-Oh, I never-- I mean, the issue never came up..." Twilight said weakly. Even she could tell that was not a sufficient answer.

"But, you are The Princess of Friendship," Cozy reinforced. "That title should me you have everyone's best interests in mind,"

"Yeah!" The crowd said.

"I-I do. I did not know about the current state of affairs--"

"We don't want your excuses! You've been a Princess for four years before all this, and you haven't done a thing! A new Princess but the same status quo!" Cranky Doodle said.

Twilight recoils as she shrinks away. It was all true. As the newly christened Princess of Friendship, she never tackled issues such as equal rights. She always wanted more responsibility, yet she never thought to ask. 'Was I so content with the little bubble that I failed to see outside the fog?'

"Spike. Why are you here?" Rarity asks tentatively.

"What? It's not obvious?" Spike said in a bitter tone.

"W-Well, we were looking all over for you--"

"I'm fine!" Spike said sharply, cutting Rarity off.

"Yes, we can see that. Say, why don't we go somewhere to eat and talk about things?"

"Why? You miss your pet that bad?"

A flash of hurt hits all the element's faces. "Spike, you're not a pet!"

"The paper signed by Princess Celestia and your parents says differently. But you are right. I am not a pet. I am something lower than that. Ponies at least say I love you to their pets. I never heard it once from your parents!"

"Spike..." Twilight said in a hurt tone.

"See? Stuff-like creatures seen as pets need to stop. What's to stop somepony from spaying and neutering Spike? Or, worse, euthanizing him," Cozy said.

"That would never happen!" Twilight asserted.

"Are you sure it hasn't happened already?"

"...I don't know,"

"Spike, come on! You know that we care about you!" Rainbow said.

"That's right. Nothing said inside that courtroom can drive a wedge between us!" Rarity said.

"Says the mare that laughs at me for not being a real dragon and pranking me all the time!"

"Spike, please, we can work this out," Rarity said as she moved closer. However, a wing bars her path. "Excuse me! I am talking to my-- Gabby?"

Spike's pen pal and mail griffin brings the drake closer while glaring at the elements, but Rarity especially. "I think Spike has clarified where he wants to be right now!"

"Gabby, why are you here?"

"I am here supporting my friends' future. All of our futures here in Equestria. And I am making sure my friend isn't hurt by you anymore!"

"But, I never--"

"Yes, you did! You've been doing it since before we met and after. I thought you were sincere when you wanted to apologize to Spike. But, all you wanted was your favorite poster dragon back to order around. Spike is not even allowed to make friends of his own! He always told me in his letters that he was exhausted from cleaning that big castle alone. And how his back sometimes hurt from carrying all your bags. But he always thought it was helping his friends. So, he never said anything against it! Real friends don't do that. Real friends, don't wait until some other horrible abused creature comes along and stand up against all the unfairness!"

"Now, now. We can't be too hard on them. It's not like Princess Twilight was the one that made the laws. They are more like enablers, if nothing else. We need to go right to the source so that our voices are heard through Canterlot and beyond. Let's march to Judical Hall!"

"Yeah!" The crowd supports.

"W-Wait! You can't just march into court while a trial is in session. You can't even hold an unauthorized protest without a permit!" Twilight stated.

Cozy produces a piece of paper and hands it to Twilight. "Here you go. Signed. Dated. And, official,"

"Mayor Mare signed this?!"

"What?!" The elements exclaimed.

"Yes, she realized it's essential to have the right mindset and back the good creatures in these types of things,"

"It sure sounds like she is trying to save her hide," Applejack said sourly.

Twilight frowns as she looks back at Cozy. "Well, I am sorry to inform you all, but since I reside over Ponyville, my authority supersedes Mayor Mare regarding an assembly such as this,"

"Golly, I guess that does make sense, but I thought you didn't have any authority during the trial,"

"Court was adjourned today. My princess status is reinstated after the courtroom door closes,"

"You see? She is trying to silence us even now! Tyrants!" Cranky Doodle yells as the group voices their displeasure.

"What?! No! I was just--"

"What's going on here!?" A new voice cuts Twilight off. Twilight turns to see a gathering of royal guards. A guard steps forward with a stern look on his face. "We received several noise complaints coming from the park. It's making ponies restless,"

"Oh no. There's no noise here, Mister Guard. My friends and I were about to leave. We were only talking with the Princess here. So, we got a little delayed," Cozy Glow said sweetly.

The guard spies the group suspiciously. "What are you doing that requires such a large group of creatures, and where are you going?"

"We're holding an assembly for the Creatures of Equestria movement. We are showing our support of Jason Wright to bring equal rights to every creature in Equestria," Cozy Glow stated.

At the mention of the human, the guard narrows his eyes. "Litte miss, I will have you know that unlawful assembly is not tolerated, and it is punishable by confinement to the dungeon!"

"Golly, you would lock up innocent creatures for gathering and speaking peacefully? Would you even lock up a filly? That's not very nice. It's a good thing that Princess Twilight signed my permission slip,"

The attention was back on Twilight. The guards were looking at her for confirmation. Twilight looks between the two groups, looking at her sternly for different reasons before she sighs. "Spike, take a letter," Twilight winces again when she says that. It was done out of instinct but is highly inappropriate now. And the deep frown on her number one assistant made it worse. "...Right..." Twilight produces a feather and signs the paper. "Here you go. I now give full permission for the Creatures for the Equestria assembly. There is no issue here. This group was going to attend the court proceedings. Would you guards spreading the word, so there are no misunderstandings?"

"Yes, your highness. Disperse," The guard said.

Cozy Glow smiled broadly as she took the newly signed documents from Twilight. "Thank you so much, Princess Twilight. I knew you would be on our side," Cozy starts to fly ahead as the group follows her.

"Hmph, it's about time she did something right," Cranky said.

"Spike?" Pinkie asks softly. "Are you coming back with us?"

"No, probably not for a while either. It's time for creatures like me to have a voice and are no longer considered pets," Spike said with a frown as he looked toward Twilight. "Don't expect a thank you..."

"Come on, Spike. We don't want to lag," Gabby said, ushering Spike back with the group.

"How did things get like this?" Twilight asks.

"What the hay, Twilight? After all that time we spent finding him, you're just going to leave Spike with a bunch of strangers?" Rainbow asks. "And why didn't you get the guards to break that group up? There's no way Mayor Mare would sign up for this!"

"Because Spike would never come back to us if I didn't. Besides, he's with Gabby,"

"Gabby, who is not particularly fond of us at the moment," Rarity said.

"And letting him go off with this group will lead him back around to us?" Applejack said incredulously.

"Saying no would've driven the wedge further between Spike and us!"

"Yeah, but how do we know Jason didn't send out his goons? I mean, they show up right when this kangaroo trial starts?" Rainbow suggests.

"It's hardly anything suspicious. Other creatures are tired of the way things are for them. Jason is just the only one that's been brave enough to speak his mind," Fluttershy said.

"Not this again. Fluttershy! How can you defend somepony that stole your cutie mark?"

"It would not have happened if I didn't use the stare, Rainbow. No matter what my reasoning was, it wasn't the right thing to do,"

"Urgh! Whatever, I'm going back to my room," Rainbow said, zooming off into the distance.

"Yeah, turning would do us all some good," Applejack said.

"I don't know how we can get any sleep," Rarity mutters.

"Coming, Pinkie?" Twilight asks, receiving no answer. She looks around to see Pinkie Pie gone. "Pinkie?"


[Jason's room.]


Jason and Chrysalis were walking back to their room after today's trial. Chrysalis had a little more swagger as yet another element's credibility was shot down in flames. "Oh, this is the best week of my life. Did you see the look on that prissy unicorn's face when the dragon left? Haha. Her type could never handle rejection well,"

"I guess not. But Spike might be in the same camp,"

"You care for the dragon?"

"As I said, he's innocent in all this,"

"Hmm, do you feel the same about all the foals in Ponyville? I am sure their lives will change once we're done here,"

"If anything, they will be better than their parents,"

"Or, they could grow to resent you as the parents no doubt are now,"

Jason stops at the door and looks back at Chrysalis. "They brought this on themselves!"

"Oh, relax, it is just food for thought. Speaking of food, we should call for room service. You are looking a bit hungry," Chrysalis opens the door as the pair enter.

"As if I would eat anything made by ponies..."

Jason stops as a large present sits in the middle of the room. It was shaking and trembling before it burst open in an explosion of confetti. Pinkie launches out of the gift with several noise makers, a silly whistle, and a cake in her hooves. "Oh! Welcome, welcome, welcome. Welcome to your room. Welcome, welcome, welcome, I'm saving you from the gloom. The party's right here. There's no need to fear. Pinkie's going to spread some cheer!"

The party mare slides to the pair with her head back with a broad smile while presenting the cake. "What?" Chrysalis asks. Chrysalis looks to Jason to notice his attention is on the ceiling. A fact Pinkie missed.

"Hey, there, Chryssi and Jason. I'm glad you finally made it back. I was in that present for almost an hour. It gets cramped after a while. I wonder if they make present lining?"

"And you are here because?"

"For your party, of course. Did you miss the song? I can sing it again!"

Pinkie takes a massive intake of air before Chrysalis magic closes her mouth. "No more of that!"

Giggle, Pinkie looks to Jason, only to catch him entering the bathroom. "Chrysalis, tell the guards there's a noise outside,"

Pinkie's smile wavers a bit, but she approaches the door. "Oh, yeah. Good idea. You want to make some room for all this cake we got. I figured we could start with some cupcakes, move on to pound cakes, and finish with strawberry shortcake!"

"..."

"Oh, that's right. I don't know what kind of cake you like. Not to worry..." Pinkie pulls out another cake from her mane. "I have dozens of cakes ready to go in case of emergencies,"

"You pulled that cake from your mane," Chrysalis deadpans. She spies the pound cake and takes a bite. A look of surprise adorns her features as she eats it.

"W-well, the cake might not be your thing. Don't worry. I have pies. Rainbow doesn't care for them, but I bet you will!"

"..."

"A-and there's also candy and ice cream to consider. We could do the Pinkie bonanza sweetie treats festival! It's a working title, but basically, we eat all the sweet treats we can in one sitting,"

"That sound like a buffet of health issues," Chrysalis comments.

Pinkie ignores her as she moves closer. "We have all the time in the world to figure it out. We'll make up for those three years faster than you can blink. Please come out,"

"..." Jason, again, says nothing. He was so quiet that if Pinkie didn't see him go into the bathroom, her first thought would be that it was empty.

Getting desperate now, Pinkie knocks on the door. "Please! Can you at least say something to me? Please tell me what I can do to make it better. I'm sorry!"

"Alright, come here," Chrysalis said, pulling Pinkie away from the door using her aura. "As much as I like begging, this display is pathetic! What are you doing here? Really?"

"...I wanted to apologize..."

"Is this an attempt to throw out the trial through assaulting a witness? I can feel the anger he's admitting. It's particularly a sauna in there,"

"No! But, if it makes you feel better--"

Chrysalis's loud sigh cuts the party mare off. "You don't get it, do you? Nothing you say or do will stop this trial from happening. Shining Armor and his pet dragon have tried this already. You can ask them how that turned out,"

"No, this isn't about the trial. Since you two came here, my Pinkie sense has been acting all wonky. I feel like I did some stuff, but I can't remember!"

"Ah. Then, you are not sorry. Even if you can't remember your part in his suffering, you can hazard a good guess from all you've seen already. I know that you know that you and your friends are guilty. But does that changes anything? Does apologizing help him or bring you closure? Why should Jason give that satisfaction? You have no idea the kind of pain you have wrought. You don't deserve forgiveness. Now, you have to live with that knowledge. The idea that all your parties and smiles could not fix anything. Honestly, you should feel grateful you are not a target,"

Pinkie looks back at Chrysalis in shock. "W-What? But I am a defendant!"

"Yes. But, we are going from most minor offenders to worst. I would put you right after Twilight and before Fluttershy from your actions. But Jason is content with ignoring you, as you are experiencing now," Chrysalis finishes the cake and wipes her mouth. "I can't fathom Jason's mind on these things. Although I can't argue with the results," Pinkie's smile finally left as she started trembling. She looked back at the bathroom and thought of breaking through the door. However, her eyes fell on the Gjallarhorn as she took several steps to it. "Oh, the Gjallarhorn? Go ahead. You are free to use it. Answer all your burning questions. Fair warning, though; you might not like what you see. Can you confront your sins, Element of Laughter?"

"Chrysalis? Are you doing your monologues in the mirror again?" Jason asks, deliberately disregarding Pinkie's presence now.

That was it. Pinkie touches the Gjallarhorn and asks a question. "Show me what I did. Show me how I took his smile away," Pinkie's eyes went white from the Gjallarhorn's power. Magic bursts out of her as it did with her friends. Her mouth was open in a wordless scream before she stumbled back on her haunches. Her body shuddered as her mane and tail lost their usually poofy volume. Even her vibrant pink colors were not duller than when discord corrupted her. Tears formed around her eyes as they fell off her cheeks.

"So, now you know. Are you going to make excuses like your friends? Say things like 'that wasn't me' or 'I would never be that pony!' Which is it?"

Instead of answering, Pinkie slowly cleans up the confetti and throws away all the treats. Chrysalis arches a brow at the change before Pinkie speaks again. "...I'm sorry for disturbing you two..." Without another word, Pinkie leaves the room.

"Well, she is gone now with all the color drained. Out of all those ponies, I might feel a little bad for her," Chrysalis said as Jason said nothing. "But, as I said before, I like your methods better,"


[Canterlot Judicial Hall - Fourth Day of the Trial.]


The judges sat in awe of the courtroom. Where most of Canterlot's nobles were sitting, now were non-ponies. They were waiting by the entrance as everyone came inside. There was a standing ovation for Jason as he and Chrysalis. The changeling queen soaks up the praise while Jason remains somewhat indifferent. Nobles naturally were against allowing common folk in their fair city. Non-ponies are even more so until Cozy Glow explains the situation.

"Golly, I don't see why so many ponies are upset. Creatures for Equestria don't want much. We want to be treated the same as everypony. How can Equestria be a place of harmony if that harmony doesn't extend to everyone," Cozy moves to Spike next. "Why, Spike here is seen as a pet, despite having the same feelings as the rest of us. Do you know what that means? At any time, if somepony wanted to do anything to him, it would only be animal abuse. He could've even been put down at a vet! How is that okay? Then, there is Cranky Doodle's wife, Matilda. She could not get the treatment that would've saved her life because of her status. We're here because we believe in what Jason is doing. Rights for him. Rights for us!"

The defendants all gasp out in shock. "Matilda is gone? We never--"

But a noble speaks up before them. "But, you're a pony. What do you gain from helping non-ponies?" A noble said.

"All I get from this is what I always thought Equestria had. Friendship and harmony for all,"

"Great, this brat," Jason mutters. He had no idea what Cozy was planning. But he didn't like that she was associating his justice with her movement. He would have to tell Chrysalis about her soon. For now, their goals align. "The Plaintiff has no issue with the group and offers our sympathies. The existence of their movement is but further proof of the basis and institutionalized speciesism in this country,"

"The defense has no qualms about the group as well. We, too, offer our sympathies," Celestia stated. She glances over to the elements to ensure there are no objections. When none is given, Celestia nods to her sister.

"Very well. The fourth day of trial shall commence. The floor is yours, Mister Wright,"

Jason gets in position in front of the defendant's bench. Jason stares down each mare, starting from the left and moving to the right. Celestia tries to hold a stoic visage, but her mask now has more cracks. He can hints of weariness and shame. Twilight was more trepidation upon his appraisal of her. It was almost like she was afraid of what Jason had in store. Moving to the next mare, Fluttershy looks away from him. It was not out of fear but disgust with herself. Rarity was next, and she was more cautious with he gaze. Pinkie watched the whole thing and waited for her turn. She did not know how she could convey in words how sorry she was, but she would try when their eye met. However, that never happens as Jason skips her by without a sideways glance. He stops in front of Applejack as the cow pony tenses. Like Rainbow next to her, they were the only two still openly defiant against their just scrutiny. But, before Jason could start on Applejack, Pinkie raises her hoof.

"Yes, Miss Pie?" Judge Luna asks,

"...I would like to confess," Pinkie said solemnly. There was no joy or any of her usual vibrance in her tone. Now that Pinkie spoke up, everyone got a good look at her dull coat and straight mane. Her friends looked the most worried at this sudden change in demeanor.

"Confess to what?" Judge Novo asks.

"To my part in abusing Jason Wright. For the pain and anguish, I caused him by going against my element. When I stop and think about everything I did leading up to Jason, I can see that I never deserved to be the element of laughter..."

"Pinkie, what are you doing?" Rarity asks.

"Yeah, sugarcube. That's a bunch of nonsense," Applejack said.

"Yeah, you're just as awesome as the rest of us,"

Pinkie merely shakes her head. She gets up and walks over to the Gjallarhorn. "I'm not suited because I let silly things like my friends being busy lead to a nervous breakdown,"

The image displays Pinkie Pie hosting a party for her pet alligator. She sent invitations to all her friends, but none of them came. Pinkie was growing irritated as all her friends avoided her the whole day. She decides to disguise herself in a haystack. Rainbow Dash comes by, and a chase ensues. Pinkie is shown to be relentless in her pursuit, matching Rainbow's speed on her hooves before she flies into Applejack's barn. After Applejack rebukes Pinkie, Pinkie brings Spike in for integration. Another growl escapes Ember's maw as Pinkie clamps Spike's tail with Gummy's mouth. After Spike misses Pinkie Pie's intent on what she wants from him, Pinkie guides him to what she wants to hear from him, causing her to have a psychotic break. The memory shifts to Pinkie holding her party with many inanimate objects.

"Thank you all so much for coming. It means so much to Gummy," Pinkie said at the head of the table.

"Could I have some more punch?" Pinkie puppeted the pale of turnips.

"Of course, you can have more punch, Mister Turnips,"

Pinkie's eyes twitch as she moves to the pile of rocks. "This is a great party, Pinkie. You have outdone yourself,"

"Why thank you, rocky," Another twitch before Pinkie moves to the lint ball.

"I'm having a delightful time as well,"

"Why, thank you, Sire Lintcelot,"

"Might I trouble for another slice of cake?" Pinkie said with shaking the bag of flour.

"Anything for you, Madame Flour,"

"I'm just glad none of those ponies showed up," Pinkie said in a deep voice for the rocks. "Oh, they're not so bad," The memory ends with a crossed-eyed smile from Pinkie.

"Are you telling the court you have psychosis?" Judge Shifting Sands asks slowly.

"No, she doesn't. It's just that we were planning a surprise party for Pinkie and--"

Twilight went to defend her friend, but Pinkie cut her off. "And I took things the wrong way and had a breakdown instead of waiting as a normal pony would,"

"That's not even the first time I went assuming..." Pinkie looks at Cranky Doodle as he glares at her. "When Cranky came to town, he wasn't looking for a big welcome. He was trying to settle in, and I kept bugging him about being friends and getting him to smile. All I ended up doing was making him a laughingstock,"

Another memory shows Cranky pulling a cart. As many who live in Ponyville would expect, Pinkie greeted him with over-the-top hyperactive antics. However, Pinkie did not seem to have an understanding of boundaries. Her antics led to Cranky's toupee getting ruined by her. Then, Pinkie made the mistake of drawing the attention of the citizens to them.

"Hey! Does anypony know where we can find a wig? This donkey is super bald!" The ponies laughed as Crank went red with embarrassment. "Come on, ponies. This is no laughing matter. Cranky needs the wig to hide his glaringly bald head!"

Pinkie looks down from the memory as Cranky runs away. "I don't know why I thought that was a good idea. I sometimes found a group of ponies standing in front of Cranky's home wearing wigs. They laughed, and I would join in because I thought it was a fun wig party. Little did I know that they were making fun of him..."

"That's right! Your little stunt brought all those cruel ponies to my home! They would bother me every other week. And you made it worse by joining them!" Cranky hollers. "The only time there was peace was when those ponies had better things to do. But that only lasted a few days at most!"

"But Pinkie made up for it by finding Matilda. And Pinkie can't control how others act!" Twilight stated.

"We already covered this with you, Twilight," Chrysalis said, stepping up to the center. "Pinkie should've seen how her actions affect others. She is not a foal whose actions we can excuse; she is a grown mare and an element bearer,"

"Besides, the stress only added for matilda when she finally passed!" Cranky hollers. "I wanted a private funeral. After getting rejected aid from the hospital and paying off the bills for renting that building for the wedding - which our sponsor refused to help - I wanted nothing to do with any ponies,"

"There's more. When we went to Applelosoa, the buffalo tribe, and the Applelosians were feuding," Pinkie said, showing the memory of the stand-off between the town and the buffalo tribe. Chief Thunderhooves were standing on the cliff with his tribe flanking him. The Applelosians stood behind their defenses as the clock tower rang at noon. However, Little Strong Heart laid a hoof on the buffalo's head, and the chief relents. All the ponies sign in relief until Pinkie Pie begins singing her song about sharing and caring. The chief and sheriff already shared their displeasure toward the performance. Thus, Pinkie's actions spurred Chief Thunderhooves into going through with his plan to stampede through the town. "I started a big fight between the buffalos and the Appleolsians because I thought a silly song that no one liked would stop the fighting. It was by dumb luck that the war stopped because a pie flew into the chief's mouth, and he liked it. I didn't take any of it seriously..."

"I cannot lie and say singing was helpful. It escalated the situation for no apparent reason. Still, I have to ask why wasn't an official deal broker sent there to settle this dispute?" Cadance asks.

"The Appleosian is as prideful and stubborn as the buffalo. Neither side sent any correspondence to the crown," Celestia said. "I believe it is worth stating that Twilight and her friends' presence help deescalate the issue without serious harm,"

"It still doesn't change the fact that I made everything worse. Like the time you came to visit Ponyville during Nightmare Night..."

The scene changes to Ponyville as Luna descends from the sky with her bat pony guards pulling her chariot. Luna announces her arrival and intends to join in the festivities. However, Pinkie suddenly shouts and misinterprets her words. "Did you hear that everypony? Nightmare Moon said she's going to feast on us all!"

"Fluttershy, you got to hide us! Nightmare moon is here and is going to-- Aah! Nightmare stole Fluttershy's voice so she can't scream when she gobbles you up!!!"

"Hey, girls. have you seen Pipsqueak-- AH! Nightmare moon is gobbling Pipsqueak! Everypony Run!!!"

Each memory ends with the foals running away on Pinkie's fear-mongering as she sadly speaks. "I always said you make sure the pony your pranking is okay with it. But, I didn't bother to see that you were upset everypony kept running away from you, Princess Luna..."

"You speak too harshly n yourself. I was just off my recent isolation and misinterpreted the holiday's intent. I learned this thanks you and Twilight later," Luna said, but it did not take with Pinkie.

"I didn't consider anyone's feelings. Just like with Jason Wright," Pinkie said, showing what the Gjallarhorn showed her last night.

The memory starts with Pinkie busing the tables in Sugarcube Corner. Now and then, her body would twitch awkwardly. "Hmm, there it is again. I never had these combos before, but I can never find out what they mean. Oh, well, I guess even my Pinkie sense can have an off day,"

"Urgh, that freak was picking trash again!" Flitter said.

"Disgusting. Why does it do that?" Cloud Chaser adds.

The conservation of the two mares caught Pinkie's attention. Pinkie sees that it is the twin pegasi sisters, Flitter and Cloud Chaser. "Oh, there's a new pony in town? That's weird. I didn't feel that there was a new pony. Unless they are not a pony. We're still working on a combo for other creatures and non-ponies. Did you say something about trash?"

"Uh, this thing isn't a pony or any other creature out there. It's like something the Everfree forest spat out on us!" Flitter said.

"Yeah, it goes around picking at our trash and being a nuisance!" Cloud Chaser said.

Pinkie adopts a thoughtful expression. "It came from the Everfree, and it picks through the trash. Oh! It might be trying to find personal effects!"

The two mares looked deeply concerned now. "F-For what?"

"Well, it could be trying to get the scent of ponies to gobble them up later,". The mares shivered as Pinkie continued. "Or, maybe, it's probably to put some curse on us, like some voodoo witch doctor!"

"Y-You mean like the evil enchantress?" The mare said fearfully.

"No, silly. That was Zecora. She's a shaman, not a voodoo witch doctor, totally different. We won't want to make that mistake again. But, this time might be accurate because no pony or creature would be this thing. Wait, what does this thing look like?"

"It's as tall as Celestia!" Flittter said, standing on her hindlegs.

"It wears an ugly black cloak or robe and stinks to high heaven," Cloud Chaser said, using the tablecloth as a cloak.

"Yep. A voodoo witch doctor," Pinkie said as the memory shifted.

Pinkie was walking in front of the flower shop. "Hey, Roseluck, you there? I need some parsley for a recipe. Hello?"

"Shush! Pinkie. Come inside quick!" Lilly voice calls out.

Pinkie hurries behind the counter to see the flower girls huddle against the wall—a look of fear was present on each of their faces. "What are you doing? Are we playing hide and seek?" Pinkie whispers.

Roseluck points a shaky hoof to the backdoor screen. Pinkie looks in that direction and immediately huddles next to the flower sisters as a tall silhouette moves past the door. "I-It's the creature. The creature of the Everfree. It's here! It wants to harvest and eat us up!"

"I heard it looks for ponies to steal their coats, tricking everypony into that it is one of us!" Daisy said.

"I heard if you look at its face, it steals your soul," Lilly added.

"Oh. Those sound way scarier than my voodoo witch doctor theory. I bet it does all those things, but instead of wearing the coats, it uses them to build a pony mannequin," Pinkie whispers along with them. "Since it's incapable of making friends, it goes out to build a friend for itself!"

Pinkie's words only serve to heighten the flower girl's fears. On the outside, Jason manages to open the door. In a panic, Roseluck picks up one of the flower pots and hurls it at the doorway as Jason steps inside. "Hello-- Argh!!!" The pot hits Jason square in the head while knocking him down. He quickly scampers away as Pinkie goes out the back and sees him running toward the forest.

"And that's what I did. Even though I never got a good look or got to know him, I kept adding to the awful rumors and gossip about Jason. I helped feed the town's fear of him. The cramps and combos I had were all telling me that somepony - someone - was hurting. But I never tried to help. At the end of it all, I made the same mistake with Zecora, only a thousand times worse..." Pinkie said with tears in her eyes. She looks toward Jason to see his eyes glued on his papers as he sorts them out. He never once looks in her direction. "I deserve punishment,"

The judges were once again at a loss. No one said anything at Pinkie's tale until Chrysalis spoke up. "A very compelling and heartfelt confession. But, one that is ultimately unnecessary,"

"Why is that?" Judge Cadance asks.

"The prosecution has no plan to charge Miss Pie at the time. As we saw, Miss Pie never came face to face with Jason Wright, believing him to be a creature of the Everfree. Whereas all the other acts against Jason, ponies had a clear view of him and still chose to act abhorrently. Given Miss Pie's playful nature, it is possible that she was under the notion that the town was playing a prank. Tell us, Miss Pie, has the town engaged in a prank involving everyone?"

"Y-Yes. The time we pranked Rainbow Dash into thinking the ponies turned into cookie-craving zombies," Pinkie said.

"And, after hearing more outlandish rumors, did you believe another prank was going on?"

"W-Well, some of the things the ponies said were unbelievable. I thought it was like a competition to see who could create the craziest story," Pinkie shakes her head as she pleads with the judges. "But, it still hurt him in the end. I was still careless with my words and didn't spread laughter like I was supposed to!"

"There are charges to label against you, but I am afraid you do not fit the criteria of slander and deformation as you never said anything against Jason Wright as you did not know him. And, you never acted maliciously as others have. So, as I said, we don't seek to charge you with anything,"

"If the prosecution does not wish to file charges, then you may leave the defendant bench, Miss Pie," Judge Luna said.

"B-But, I am guilty!" Pinkie shrieks.

"I respect your loyalty to your friends, Miss Pie. But, if they were your true friends, none of them would expect you to go down for their behavior," Chrysalis said. Her smile was everpresent at Pinkie's increasingly spiraling mental state. Looking back to the Creatures for Equestria group, an idea forms. "Not that we could charge you under normal circumstances,"

"What do you mean?" Ember asks.

"All the charges we listed against the defendants are authentic. But Jason is not a citizen of Equestria. The law is applied to ponies and ponies only. If that were not the case, this group would not be here. We fully expect the Equestrian crown to gloss over the week's event once the tribunal has concluded,"

"That does seem like the case!" Ember said with a snarl.

"It is somewhat concerning the actual state of affairs in Equestria. At least for non-ponies," Queen Novo said with a sneer.

All the judges shared the same sentiments as Cadance felt small, and Luna grits her teeth at Chrysalis. "The Equestrian crown gives our word that there will be revisions to our standing laws so that these events are not repeated!" Luna said begrudgingly. She cast a harsh glare at Chrysalis for putting her character into question.

"Do you, Pinkie promise?" Pinkie mutters.

"I beg your pardon?"

"You have to Pinkie Promise! No breaks a Pinkie Promise. It's the only way to ensure we are serious about change!"

"I have already given my word, Miss Pie. This court isn't the place for foolish notions--"

"NO! You have to make the motions! Cross my heart and hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye!" Pinkies go through an elaborate motion with her hooves.

"Miss Pie! Settle down! The court must continue--"

"Fine, I'll do it. And you better not break it!" Pinkie leaves a slackjawed Luna as she turns to Jason. However, a barrier appeared around Jason before she took a single step. Undeterred, Pinkie rests her hoof on it. "See? I Pinkie Promise things are going to be different. You know that no one breaks a Pinkie Promise, right? We can be friends when this is over, right?"

"..." Jason says nothing. His focus was squarely on his documents as he shifted through them.

Pinkie shudders and starts banging against the shield. "PLEASE SAY SOMETHING! PLEASE DON'T IGNORE ME!!!"

"Order! Order in the court! Miss Pie, you will cease these actions!" Luna commands.

"Pinkie! You have to calm down!" Cadance said.

Pinkie only redoubles her efforts as she starts bucking at the shield to get to Jason. "Guards! Escort Miss Pie out of the court and place her in confinement!" Lunad orders as she swings her gavel.

Several guard ponies came and pulled Pinkie from Chrysalis' barrier. However, she fought and struggled against their grip. Tears fell from her eyes as the guards moved the distraught mare to the courtroom doors. "NO! I CAN'T BREAK MY PROMISE! NOPONY BREAKS A PINKIE PROMISE!!!"

As the door slams shut, the barrier fades as Jason returns to his previous position. A hateful scowl from Applejack met Jason's indifferent eyes. "Yeah, I remember that glare. You wore it well when I came to visit your farm that day. Now that there are no more distractions, let's talk about you, Applejack,"

"Indeed we shall," A new pair of voices said. The doors open again as two cream-coated red-maned unicorn stallions walk to the center of the courtroom.

"Who are you two?" Cadanece asks.

"Why, we are witnesses," The stallion on the left said.

"And we're here to regale the court of our awful treatment at the hands of this rotten apple, Applejack," The other stallion said, curling his mustache.

"Flim and Flam?!?!" Applejack shrieks.