• Published 1st Nov 2022
  • 5,657 Views, 1,244 Comments

My Little Pony: Nine Elements Book 1 - BlueBioWolf



My version of Friendship is Magic that has nine Elements of Harmony and Spike being treated with more respect.

  • ...
11
 1,244
 5,657

Chapter 4: Applebuck Season (S1:E4)

My Little Pony: Nine Elements

Written by Brandon Nell and Blake Hawkins

Additional suggestions by Rachel Ravens

Chapter 4: Applebuck Season

One week had passed since the invitation to the Grand Galloping Gala. In that time, Applejack’s older brother, Big McIntosh had injured himself using the rusty plow used on Sweet Apple Acres. He and Applejack looked over the fields and the apples that were ready to be picked.

“Whoo-wee!” Applejack said overlooking the field. “We sure got one heck o’ a successful apple crop this year! N' it’ll be a big job gettin’ ‘em all bucked down.”

“Eeyup,” observed the red stallion. “Too big fer y’all ta handle alone.”

“Don’t ya fret none, Big Mac,” Applejack smiled while accidentally touching the stallion’s injury. “Ya just rest up and get yerself healed up. Nurse Redheart says ya’ll feel better in no time.”

Big McIntosh winced and glared at Applejack and Applejack stopped touching his wound. “Oh… sorry ‘bout that.”

Big McIntosh wasn’t convinced her sister had everything under control. “Ya know, sis,” he said. “Ya don’t have ta do this alone. Ya ain’t invincible, ya know. If’n ah could get hurt towin’ that plow, ya could definitely hurt yerself workin’ those there fields. It wouldn’t hurt ta ask fer back up just this once.”

Applejack protested. “Ah can’t ask Apple Bloom. She’s too young fer applebuckin’. Ah can’t ask Granny Smith, neither. Her hip can’t handle applebuckin’ no more.”

“What about Caramel?” Big Mac asked.

“Ah love that stallion,” Applejack admitted. “But, we all know he’d forget his head if’n it weren’t attached.”

“Well, ya better ask someone else ya can trust.” Big Mac said with a gentle nod of his head. “Last thing we need is y’all bitin’ off more n’ ya can chew.”

“Are ya sayin’ mah mouth is makin’ promises mah legs can’t keep?” Applejack said, glaring a stink eye at Big McIntosh.

Big McIntosh’s reply was brief and blunt. “Eeyup. Last time ya tried bitin’ off more n’ ya can chew, it got us in hot water with Granny Smith at the hospital.”

Applejack knew Big Mac had a point, but, she still had a stubborn streak in her. “That was before ah understood things better. Besides, this is yer sister Applejack, remember? An honest pony n’ a dependable friend ta other ponies?!”

“But, yer still ONE pony,” Big McIntosh sheepishly replied. “Even when we work tagether at Applebuckin’, the harvest lasts fer weeks. If’n ya try it alone, it’ll take–”

“Don’t you use yer fancy mathematics to muddy the issue!” Snapped Applejack. “Ah’ll show ya! Ah’ll prove ta ya that ah can do this. As Celestia is mah witness, ah’ll harvest these apples all Applebuck Season all by myself before the month is done!”

Big McIntosh could see that his sister wasn’t going to be reasoned with. Rather than continue the obviously pointless argument, he sighed and admitted defeat. “Fine, AJ. Yer on yer own. Ah’ll be keepin’ an eye on ya since that’s the best work ah can do right now. But, when that there stubbornness o’ yers starts causin’ y’all n’ the rest o’ Ponyville problems, don’t come cryin’ ta me. Ah’ll just say, ‘ah told ya so.’”

Applejack heard her brother’s words, but, took no notice. However, as she looked over the fields again, she suddenly began to feel uneasy. She knew from years of experience how difficult harvesting her family’s crops could be even WITH Big McIntosh’s help. But, she felt it was too soon to go back on her word now. What’ve ah gotten mahself into? She mentally chastised herself.


She knew that if she had to get the job done, she had to get a start on it. So, she readied an empty basket to collect apples into. She was about to buck the bark of the tree, when suddenly, she felt the ground shaking. “Uh oh,” she said. “Sounds like them cows’re spooked again.”

A short distance away, the rest of Ponyville was slowly becoming aware of the tremors. Rainbow Dash, who was flying up ahead, could see what was happening.

“STAMPEDE!” She shouted, alerting the Ponyville citizens. Sure enough, a herd of cows were rushing towards the town. Countless ponies went into a state of panic.

However, Pinkie let the vibrations shake her about. “This makes my voice sound silly!” Pinkie said in a distorted voice.

“Pinkie, what are you doing?!” Twilight shouted. “Run for your life!”

“Why don’t you just use a force field spell around the town?” asked Spike, who was on Twilight’s back.

“You know I’m not as good with combative magic as Shining Armor!” the lavender unicorn cried. “The biggest one I can manage right now can only cover myself in one direction!”

The cows continued to stampede towards Ponyville. However, a short way behind them was Applejack and her dog, Winona. They were running after the cows, trying to corral them away from the ponies. “Put ‘em up, Winona!”

Winona barked a response and she went to work, herding the cows. Applejack made her way onto one of the cows.

“Yee-haw!” Applejack hollered. “Ride ‘em, cowpony!” She lassoed the cow at the front.


It did take a lot of effort, but, Applejack and Winona were able to calm down the herd of cattle after diverting them from Ponyville. “Now, what in tarnation happened, gals?” Applejack inquired, speaking in a subtly deeper tone of voice than normal. She was speaking in a rather bovine dialect of Ponish known as Bovinian. Speaking in this dialect required the one speaking to sound almost as if they were mooing.

“Moo~” One cow mooed, before clearing her throat. “Oh, powerful sorry, dearie. It’s just that Mooriel saw a rattlesnake and it gave us the jitters.”

“Ah understand,” Applejack soothed. “Ah don’t care fer snakes, neither. Just steer clear o’ Ponyville next time.”

“Mmm, we will, dearie.” The cow, whose name was Daisy Jo, said. “Sorry if we caused you any trouble.”

“Don’t fret none,” Applejack replied. “Winona needed some exercise, anyhow.”

Winona barked happily and wagged her tail. Applejack and the dog led the cows away while the citizens of Ponyville cheered.

“Applejack was awesome!” Spike exclaimed.

“Yes,” Twilight said with a smile. “She and Winona were very brave, too.”

“We should throw a celebration for her,” suggested Pinkie. “She deserves it.”

“Why, that’s a splendid idea, Pinkie Pie.” Mayor Mare smiled. “We can host a ceremony in front of Town Hall. This is hardly the first time Applejack’s come through for the town. It’s time she gets the recognition she deserves.”

Spike nodded feverishly. He wasn’t always recognized for his own hard work, so, he, more than most ponies, knew the importance of recognition. “Can I help plan it out?” he offered.

“Of course you may, Spike,” Mayor Mare smiled. “From your time here, it’s clear that you’re smarter than your age would suggest. Additionally, your youth gives you a fresh perspective compared to the older members of the Ponyville Party Planning Committee.”

“Who are the other members?” Twilight asked.

“I’m the founder,” Pinkie replied.

“I’m a member.” Rarity smiled.

“There’s also Lemony Gem,” Pinkie said, pointing to a yellow unicorn mare with an aqua mane and tail with a streak of darker aqua, cerulean eyes, and a cutie mark of three brilliant-cut diamonds.

“Oh, I know her!” cried Twilight. “She’s Lemon Hearts’ big sister. She moved to Ponyville with her husband Buck Withers a few months after they got married.”

“Great,” said Pinkie. “You’ll get along with her no problem.”

“Maybe you can join, Twilight,” Spike suggested. “You’re great at organizing things.”

“Thanks, Spike,” Twilight said. “Though, I’m not sure how well I could juggle the meetings and my other responsibilities.”

“Tell you what,” Pinkie offered. “You help us out at the meetings and we’ll help you out with whatever you’ve got.”

“I don’t see why not,” Twilight said. “Alright, I’ll do it.”


It took a week to organize the party, but, it was soon in the decorating stage. Pegasi had flown up to place a banner on the top balcony of Town Hall. Rarity was securing a ribbon to a post when Twilight stepped up. She had a speech written down on flash cards and she organized them by tapping them on the top base of the podium. “Are we all ready, Rarity?”

“Just a second, please.” Rarity said, focusing on a ribbon tied to the podium. She then adjusted it slightly. “And finished. Everything’s ready.”

“Great!” Twilight said. “Is Applejack ready for her big moment?”

“I don’t know, to be honest.” admitted Rainbow Dash. “I haven’t seen her yet today. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen her all week. Nopony has.”

“They haven’t?” Asked Twilight, noticeable concern in her voice. “I hope she’s alright.”

“Don’t worry,” Rainbow reassured her. “Applejack’s never late. She’ll show up.”

“I hope so,” Twilight said. She then trotted up to the podium. She had made a speech on a series of note cards and brought them close to her with her magic as she declared. "Welcome, everypony! Today we are here to honor a pony we can always count on to help in matters great and small. A pony whose contributions to-"

“Did you see how fast Applejack herded those cows?!” Interrupted Rainbow Dash. “She’s one of the most athletic ponies in Ponyville, next to me. I asked her to help me with a stunt I’ve been working on and it’ll be so Awesome!”

“First off, you said you hadn’t seen her all week,” the disgruntled unicorn said. “Second, YOU INTERRUPTED MY SPEECH!”

“Hehe,” Rainbow chuckled sheepishly. “Sorry. I was excited about that. I asked her to help me shortly after the rescue.”

“Is that all you had to say?” Twilight asked, still clearly annoyed by the rude interruption.

Seeing this, Rainbow Dash sheepishly chuckled and flew out of the way. “Thank you,” Twilight said. “Now, as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupt–”

“Oh! Twilight!” Pinkie squeaked excitedly.

Twilight’s eye twitched. “Yes, Pinkie?” she said, trying to keep her temper under control. “What is it?”

“Applejack’s also one of the best bakers in all of Ponyville, next to Mr. and Mrs. Cake,” the pink pony chirped. “That’s why a few days before the Stampede, I asked Applejack to help me with baking some muffins while the Cakes are away on their honeymoon. Free samples for everypony!”

The ponies in the crowd cheered at the announcement. The impatient lavender unicorn pushed Pinkie aside. “That’s good news to hear, Pinkie. Now, if I could continue making my speech without being inter–”

“Um, Twilight?” Fluttershy asked timidly.

Twilight forced herself to sigh as she stepped aside yet again. "-rupted. Go ahead, Fluttershy."

“I’m sorry to interrupt, Twilight,” she said. “But, I wanted to say that Applejack will be helping me as well. She’ll be helping me with the baby bunny census. With her and Winona’s herding skills, we’ll be able to gently round up all of the baby bunnies that have been born this year.”

She then stepped down from the podium. Twilight glared at the rest of the audience. “Does anypony else want to say something or will I have to wait to be cut off again?”
No one in the audience responded. “Rarity?” Twilight eyed the unicorn fashionista. “Anything Applejack’s helping you with?” Rarity quietly shook her head no. Twilight then turned her attention to Spike. “And you, Spike? Is there anything you asked Applejack to help you with that you conveniently forgot to tell me about?” Spike simply shook his head no. In the audience, Caramel was about to raise a hoof before Spike silently told him not to. “Nopony else has anything to say?”
Outside of an awkward cough from the crowd, there was absolute silence. Twilight started sighing in relief. “Thank you. Now, as I was trying to–”

But, Mayor Mare was staring intently at Twilight, with a huge excited smile on her face. This was the last straw for Twilight. She scattered her flashcards in frustration. “THREE DAYS OF WORK WASTED! THREE DAYS!”

“Thank you, Twilight.” Mayor Mare said. “And now, to present the award for Pony of the Year. Today, we celebrate a pony of extraordinary trustworthiness, reliability, and integrity. Ponyville’s most capable friend… Applejack!”

Spike and the ponies cheered. However, the ponies stopped once they saw Applejack wasn’t behind the curtain. Spike hadn’t registered this yet and still cheered. "Cool! Way to go Applejack, that was awesome!" When he opened his eyes and saw that he was the only one cheering and the one he was cheering for wasn’t even there, Spike subsided and blushed bright pink while scratching the ground with his spade-like tail tip, a little tic he had for when he was embarrassed.

Suddenly, a voice from the crowd caught their attention. “Here ah am, y’all.” yawned the voice. “Sorry ah’m late, everyone.” It was Applejack, though her voice sounded deflated as if she had a lot of wind knocked out of her. Her mane and tail had a few loose ends sticking out, she had faintly visible bags underneath her eyes and she appeared to have two little sacks holding apples on either side of her that were spilling apples as she walked. She was able to make her way to the Town Hall and walked rather clumsily up to her trophy. “Thanks kindly, everypony, fer the fancy award. It’s all bright and shiny, n’-” She was suddenly caught off-guard by her rather warped looking reflection in the trophy. “Hehe… ah sure do look funny.” She started making funny noises at it.

“Okay, I can’t be the only one who thinks Applejack’s acting a bit off today,” Spike whispered to Twilight as Pinkie joined in Applejack’s noises.

“No, I’ve noticed too,” Twilight whispered back to Spike. She then spoke to Applejack directly. “Are you okay, Applejack? You’re acting a bit off today.”

Applejack yawned yet again. "It ain't anythin' ya need ta worry yerself about, sugarcube. Just a bit tired from workin' hard, that's all. Ya know me. Ah like helpin' all the ponyfolks n’ stuff," she yawned again and then began to snore before quickly shaking herself awake. "Huh, what?!" She quickly seemed to regain her composure as the earth pony smiled, taking her trophy with her. "Oh, uh, yeah. Uh, Thanks. See ya around." And her exit was accompanied by the sounds of the trophy being dragged across the ground. Twilight, Spike, and the other friends gathered around each other to discuss this.

Spike found his voice first. “Something’s definitely going on here. Applejack looks so… Let me see if I got this…”

“Tired?” Rainbow Dash said.

“Dizzy?” put in Fluttershy.

“A little messy?” Rarity added. The others just looked at her. “You saw the state of her mane. She might not worry too much about appearance, but, she takes better care of herself than THAT. I speak from experience.”

“I see.” Twilight said. “Spike, I think you and I should go talk to Applejack and see what’s going on.”

“Way ahead of you, Twilight,” said the young dragon as he climbed onto Twilight’s back.

Pinkie Pie, however, just declared with a smile. "Applejack sure seemed fine to me. She's made of tough stuff, I'm sure she'll bounce back in no time. Besides, she was clearly having fun," And she imitated the funny sounds Applejack had been making earlier. "Woo! Woo!"

Twilight, however, still wasn’t sure.


Later, she and Spike were seen walking up to Sweet Apple Acres. There, they saw the farm mare hard at work bucking apples into baskets below their trees. She was stumbling rather clumsily. “I don’t like the looks of this, Twilight,” Spike said.

“Neither do I, Spike.” Twilight said. She then walked up to Applejack. “Applejack, can we talk?” Twilight’s question fell on deaf ears as the farm mare fell asleep standing up. ”Applejack?!” said Twilight, a bit louder than before. Though, just like before, Applejack didn’t answer. “Okay, this obviously isn’t working. Spike, remember that toy trumpet Shining Armor got you for your birthday last year?”

“The one you told me not to play when you’re around?” Spike asked.

“Well,” Twilight said. “I’m going to need you to play a loud note this time.”

“Slight problem there,” Spike sheepishly confessed. “I… kind of gave it back to Shining Armor a month after I got it. I figured since you’d be around me most of the time anyway, there’s no point in keeping it.”

“Oh, I see.” Twilight said, beginning to regret her decision since it got rid of a potentially useful item. “It’s alright, I’ve got this. You may want to cover your ears.” Spike obediently did so. So, Twilight shouted at the top of her lungs to Applejack. “APPLEJACK, WAKE UP!”

The farm mare woke with a start.

“Huh, what?” Applejack stammered. “Oh, hi, Twilight. Howdy, Spike. What can ah do fer ya?”

“I just said,” Twilight continued. “Can we talk?”

“Some other time, Twilight. It’s Applebuck Season,” the farm mare replied.

“Uh, we don’t know what that is,” Spike commented.

“It’s when we Apples have ta harvest the apples from the trees before the end o’ the summer,” the farm mare explained.

“Didn’t you already finish harvesting like two weeks ago?” asked a confused Spike.

“Not even close,” Applejack said. “We’ve got so many trees, harvest time can last fer WEEKS.”

“Weeks?” Twilight asked in surprise. “Why isn't anypony helping you?”

“Big Mac injured himself pullin’ the plow, Granny Smith’s too old, n’ Apple Bloom ain’t old ENOUGH,” Applejack exclaimed.

“And what about all the family members we met on our first day here?” Spike asked.

“They were just here fer the Apple family reunion,” Applejack explained. “They left after the Summer Sun Celebration.”

“That was a massive bit of discussion among the others when we met them,” Twilight sighed. “Rainbow even said that the ones that came wasn’t even the whole Apple family.”

“Nope,” confirmed Applejack. “They live all over Equestria. Well, there’s one member who moved ta Saddle Arabia, but, we don’t really talk about him.”

“I see,” Twilight said. “Still, with all of the trees that need their apples kicked down, it’s a lot of work for just you. You need help!”

“Help? No way, no how. Everythin's under control," the farm mare protested.

“I wouldn’t be too sure about that, Applejack,” commented Spike. “You look pretty overworked. I lived with Twilight for my whole life, so, I know what that looks like.”

Twilight could only blush with embarrassment, remembering her all-nighers and overzealous studying. She cleared her throat. “That comment aside, I can clearly see that you can’t possibly do all this on your own.”

“Well,” Applejack snorted. “Ya focus on the things y’all know n’ I’ll focus on the things ah know!” She then trotted off.

Twilight and Spike exchanged worried looks before walking off themselves. “I hope we’re not making a mistake here, Spike,” Twilight said.

“I hope so, too,” Spike agreed. “She looks like she’s in way over her head. Geez, am I that bad?”

“Well…” Twilight said with slight hesitation. “You at least accept help when it’s offered?” She gave a nervous smile. That was all Spike needed to answer his question.

“I guess I could stand to work on that,” conceded Spike. “I don’t want to turn out like that.”

“As for Applejack,” Twilight said. “We have to trust her, but, we can’t let her carry on and exhaust herself. She’s going to have to learn to accept help at some point.”


About a day or two later, Rainbow Dash was waiting impatiently for Applejack on the outskirts of town. She was even perched atop a fence not unlike a bird until Applejack showed up. "There you are. You sure took your sweet time." She rudely remarked, not appearing to notice how exhausted and sleep deprived her friend seemed to be.

“S-sorry ah’m late, Rainbow,” Applejack panted. “So, what’s yer plan fer this here stunt?”

Rainbow led Applejack over to a catapult that had been set up underneath what looked like a high dive platform you might see at a swimming pool. "See this contraption?" Rainbow inquired.

Applejack, whose vision was getting blurry, had to focus deeply to see it. “Uh… barely. Is it behind that big wooden paddle?”

Rainbow looked confused. “Paddle? It’s a catapult.”

“Oh,” Applejack said with a sheepish chuckle. “So, what are ya plannin’ ta do with it?”

Rainbow explained. "Well, I'm going to stand on one end, then you're going to jump down from that platform up there, launching me into the air faster than I can take off on my own. Then once I'm in the air, I'm going to do some amazing flips and spins that are sure to impress the Wonderbolts. No way will they miss it!"

“Well,” Applejack said. “That sounds mighty dandy. But, ain’t that dangerous?”

“Yeah~” Rainbow chuckled. “That’s what makes it a stunt! Besides, I can fly, remember?”

“Oh, heh.” Applejack chuckled. “Right.”

Rainbow set herself on the down end of the catapult. “There’s a ladder leading to the high platform. Climb it and wait on the platform for my signal.”

“Okie dokie,” Applejack smiled, stumbling up the ladder. When she got to the top, she had trouble seeing the other end. “Uhhh…”

Rainbow called out. "Ready? One... two... THREE!"

Applejack jumped from the tall platform, but, instead of landing on the opposite side of the catapult, she landed on the ground next to it face-first. Luckily, she wasn't hurt. But, Rainbow Dash was more than a little annoyed by her friend's mistake. "Umm... maybe I wasn't clear. You're supposed to land on the other end. Now get back up there and try it again!" The brash speedster commanded.

“Got it!” Applejack wearily responded, her eyes losing focus. She tried a second attempt and she landed on her bottom. A third attempt, she landed on her back. And a fourth attempt, she lands on her face again. None of the landings sent Rainbow Dash flying.

It didn't take long for Rainbow Dash to lose what little patience she hadn't already lost from waiting for her friend earlier. "Applejack, what the Tartarus is going on? I mean, I thought I was working with Ponyville's best athlete! Or should I just take back that title now?"

Applejack shook her head rapidly, snapping herself out of her dizzy spell. “No, that won't be necessary!” She said. “Ah’m okay, really! Ah got an idea.” She pulled down the other end completely, which prompted Rainbow to scowl.

“Okay, that was just pathetic,” Rainbow scolded. “You’re not even trying!”

“O-okay,” Applejack said sheepishly. “We’ll try one more time, n’ this time Ah’ll get it.” She let go of the catapult. As she did, Rainbow finally noticed the sleep deprived look in the farm mare’s eyes. Unfortunately, this split-second distraction meant she couldn’t open her wings in time for her end to come down, slamming her into the ground.

“Oof!” Rainbow Dash grunted.

Applejack made it to the high platform and focused her eyes intensely, finally able to accurately judge where the catapult was.

“Hehe,” Applejack said softly before calling out. “Here ah go!” She then backed up and made a splendid leap off of the platform.

A horrified Rainbow screamed. "Wait..." But, her warning came too late to stop what was coming. Before she had a chance to react, she was launched into the air from her grounded position, not in the take off ready form she'd had earlier. "Applejaaaaack!" She cried at the top of her lungs before disappearing in a twinkle.

“Yer welcome!” Applejack called out with a smile on her face.

Meanwhile, Spike was cleaning the balcony of the Golden Oaks Library with Twilight when suddenly, Rainbow crashed into it.

“Rainbow!” Twilight gasped in alarm. “Are you alright? Do you need any help?”

“I think somepony else needs your help more,” Rainbow replied. “Three guesses who and the first two don’t count.”

“Applejack…” Twilight said, knowing too well.

“Looks like we SHOULDN’T have left her after all,” Spike said. “This problem’s getting worse.”

“You’re right, Spike,” Twilight nodded. “We better go back and see her.”

“You go ahead,” Spike offered. “I’ll help Rainbow get unstuck.”

“Alright, Spike,” Twilight said. “But, be careful, okay?”

“Yes, ‘mom,’” Spike sarcastically quipped before feeling a bit odd. “Did that feel weird to anypony else?” Neither Twilight nor Rainbow answered. “Just me then? Okay.”


So, while Spike was helping Rainbow Dash, Twilight made her way back to Sweet Apple Acres. Applejack bucked a few apples down, but, none landed in baskets.

“Applejack?” Twilight asked. Taken by surprise by Twilight’s voice, Applejack hit her head on a branch, making her ears ring. The farm mare turned her head to look at Twilight. “Can we talk?”

Applejack completely misunderstood as she shouted back. "Can bees squawk? Ah don't think so! Why do ya ask?"

“No,” the confused Twilight said, a bit louder. “I said, ‘can we talk?!’”

Once again, Applejack misheard. "Twenty stalks? Bean er celery? Take yer pick."

“No,” Twilight said, even louder as her patience wore thin. “I need to talk to you!”

"Ya need ta walk ta the zoo?" Applejack asked as she was still unable to understand what Twilight was saying. "Well, what's stoppin' ya? Somepony givin' ya trouble?"

“NO!” Twilight shouted. “I NEED TO TALK TO YOU!”

This time Applejack managed to hear correctly. "Oh, well why didn't ya just say so?" But, her voice was still at shouting level, probably because in her sleep deprived state she didn't realize how loud she sounded. "What did y’all plan ta talk about? Make it quick, ah need ta get back ta work."

“That’s what I came to talk to you about,” Twilight said, trying to calm down. “Rainbow Dash just dropped in for a visit. Quite literally, in fact.”

“That’s mighty neighborly,” Applejack said. “But, what’s that got ta do with me?”

“Well,” Twilight said. “Didn’t you agree to help her with flying tricks today?”

“Yeah?” said Applejack, still not making the connection.

“Well, when Rainbow literally dropped by,” Twilight explained. “She crashed into my balcony. It wasn't hard to put two and two together and find out that it was because of you. You sent her hurling through the air."

The farm mare blushed upon realizing this. "Oh, ah did? Gosh, ah am so sorry, Twilight. Really. Ah'm just not feelin' like mahself today, that's all."

“It’s because you've been working too hard all by yourself,” Twilight said. “You need help!”

"Kelp?! What's this about kelp?!" Applejack questioned as she blinked in confusion. "Ah don't even like seaweed, Twilight. Yer not makin' a lick o’ sense."

“HELP!” Twilight shouted. “YOU NEED HELP!”

"Come now, Twilight, Rainbow'll be just fine. It was an honest mistake," Applejack stubbornly insisted. "Ah appreciate yer concern, but, ah don't need help! Not from y’all n’ not from anypony!" She trotted away, only to bang her head on yet another tree branch. "Thanks fer stoppin' by, but, if ya don't mind ah'd like ta get a few more trees bucked before ah have ta go n’ help Fluttershy. Maybe ah'll even have time for a quick nap."

Twilight could only groan in frustration as she walked off, passing Apple Bloom and Granny Smith, who were cleaning apples. “Looks like Twilight couldn’t get through ta big sis, Granny,” said Apple Bloom.

“That mare’s as stubborn as a mule,” Granny Smith commented before addressing a mule walking by. “No offense, Marty.”

“None taken,” noted Marty the mule.

As Marty continued on, Granny Smith continued. “She’s definitely mah granddaughter. Why, ah used ta be just as stubborn as she was. Nearly cost mah son his happiness, too. All ‘cause o’ that dadgum feud.”

“Wait, what was that, Granny?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Never y’all mind, young’n,” Granny Smith said. “Let’s just finish cleanin’ these here apples.”

“Ya got it, Granny,” smiled Apple Bloom, eager to help.


Later that same day, Applejack had joined Fluttershy to help with the bunny census as promised. The bags under her eyes had now gotten so noticeable that they seemed like they could drag down her entire face. But, she still insisted it was nothing and Fluttershy wasn't anywhere near as willing to press on the subject like Twilight was.

“Thank you so much for helping me, Applejack,” Fluttershy said. “I know you and Winona will do a wonderful job helping me with all of these adorable little bunnies.”

An exhausted Applejack just yawned and groaned while trotting along. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. But, uh, remind me again why it is we're doin' this?"

“Oh,” Fluttershy said. “We need to take a census in order to keep track of all of the bunnies that have been born. This way, we can figure out how much food to give them.”

Applejack nodded and then groaned. "Alright, sounds easy enough. Can we get on with it, please? Ah'm still nowhere close to bein' done with all mah applebuckin'. It's weird, though. Ah've never had a problem buckin' trees on mah own before. Don't why ah'm havin' so much trouble this time."

“We can try to be quick,” noted Fluttershy. “But, we also have to be careful. Baby bunnies tend to be much more timid than cattle. We don’t need another veggie-flower shortage.”

At this, Applejack snapped. “Oh, ya had ta bring that up! Ah may not be a critter whisperer like y’all, Fluttershy, but, ah do NOT need no direction fer corrallin’ critters!” Applejack then saw a slightly frightened Fluttershy and realized her mistake. "Sorry, Fluttershy. Didn't mean ta yell at ya just then. Don't know what came over me."

“That’s alright,” Fluttershy said politely. “Now, I think we should start over-”

But, Applejack and Winona were off with a shot trying to corral the baby bunnies. "That's right! Let's go, bunnies. In the center, now! Hop to it," But, the bunnies naturally resented being ordered about so roughly when they were used to Fluttershy's gentle coaxing. This only served to make the farm mare even more impatient and annoyed. "Swell, just swell," She sarcastically commented. "Ah've seen pigs durin’ bathin' time put up less o' a fight," And she whistled. "Put 'em up, Winona!"

“Oh!” Fluttershy squeaked meekly. “Applejack, Winona, please, calm down! You’re wrangling too many at a time and scaring them!”

Applejack refused to listen, her lack of sleep made it impossible for her to think clearly. "We know what we're doin'. Now get along, little bunnies." Unfortunately, doing this caused the bunnies to panic. Eventually, they broke free from their huddle and started running away. Applejack and Winona chased after them, which only served to frighten the bunnies even more. And poor Fluttershy couldn't keep up with the two as the bunnies were driven right into town.


In Ponyville, Spike had managed to get Rainbow free. “There you go, Rainbow.”

“Thanks, Spike.” Rainbow said. “I needed that.”

“No problem,” Spike said. “I hope Twilight managed to get through to Applejack.”

“So do I,” Rainbow agreed. “If Applejack tries helping Fluttershy the way she is now, it’ll be the veggie-flower shortage all over again.”

“Veggie-flower shortage?” Spike asked.

“Right, you’re still new here,” Rainbow remembered. “Well, last time Applejack tried helping Fluttershy with bunnies, she only got like an hour of sleep the night before. Long story short, Sweet Apple Acres had to replant every single flower and vegetable the bunnies ate.”

“Whoa!” Spike gasped. “That does sound like a disaster.”

“You don’t know the half of it,” Rainbow said. Then, she noticed something out of the corner of her eye. “Huh? What’s going on?”

Spike tried to look where Rainbow was looking. “What?” he gasped. “Where?”

Rainbow looked at Spike. “I saw something with my pegasus vision,” she explained. “My eyes can’t pick up on smaller details like Rarity’s, but, they can see pretty far. I’ve trained my eyes and ears to pick up on things on the ground or in the sky to keep me safe when flying.”

“If that’s the case,” Spike asked innocently. “Why do you still crash so much?”

“It’s still a work in progress,” Rainbow admitted.

“So,” Spike said, regaining seriousness. “What do you see?”

“It’s still a bit blurry from here,” Rainbow squinted. “Hop on my back, little guy.”

Spike did so. “Why exactly?”

“Partly because I don’t want an earful from Twilight leaving you alone,” Rainbow admitted. “But, it’s mostly because you need to get out more. You’re not in Canterlot anymore, so, you don’t have to stay inside all day anymore.”

“Gee, thanks,” Spike said with a smile.

“Hold on tight, Spike,” said the brash pegasus.

Spike does so, but, not too tightly as to hurt Rainbow Dash. The pegasus took off and looked again. “What do you see now?” asked the dragon.

“I see…” Rainbow began, before gasping. “STAMPEDE!”

Just like the cow stampede from over a weak ago, the ponies began panicking. “Does everypony always panic when stampedes start?” Spike asked.

“Yeah,” Rainbow Dash said bluntly. “They’re dangerous. And remember when I told you about the veggie-flower shortage?”

“Oh, yeah.” Spike said.

“You’re about to live it,” Rainbow said. “And this time, it looks like it’ll be even bigger.”

“Well, you know what they say,” said Spike, “They breed like… well, rabbits.”

All throughout Ponyville, the rabbits stampeded. They ate all sorts of flowers and vegetables they came across. They even charged their way to a flower shop run by three Earth ponies whose names were Daisy, Lily, and Rose. Lily, a pink mare with an auburn mane and tail, wasn’t able to find shelter in time and fainted. The bunnies bounced around her fainted body.


Later, Twilight was trotting down the road. She gasped as she saw the destruction to the plants in town.

“What happened here?!” Twilight gasped in shock.

“It’s the veggie-flower shortage all over again!” Lily cried as she stirred.

“The what?” Twilight asked, confusion in her voice.

“Rainbow Dash told me about that earlier.” Spike said as Rainbow landed near Twilight. “Basically, their vegetables and flowers got eaten and it took them a long time to regrow them.”

“And it’s even worse this time,” Rainbow said. “But, I have a hunch the same pony that caused it last time is responsible for this.”

“Applejack…” Twilight and Spike said together, rather bluntly.

“Come on, Spike,” Twilight said. “We’re putting a stop to this before it gets worse.”

“I’m with you, Twilight.” Spike said as he climbed onto her back. “If my hunch is right, Applejack’s working herself to the bone at Sweet Apple Acres.”


Sure enough, an exhausted Applejack was at work in the fields once again. She was constantly drifting in and out of sleep, to the point where she ended up tipping a cart full of apples over, and falling asleep right on the spot with her body suspended upside down. Spike and Twilight ran up to her.

“This has gone far enough, Applejack!” Spike called.

“Nothing ta it, Spike,” Applejack said, very sleepily. “Ah know what the both o’ y’all are fixin’ ta say, but, the answer’s still no.”

“Just look at yourself, Applejack!” Spike snapped. “You’re hanging upside down after causing an even worse veggie-flower shortage!”

“Spike’s right,” Twilight said. “You need help.”

Applejack just groaned. "How many times do ah have ta tell ya, Twilight? Ah don't need yer help! Watch, ah'll get this here cart back to how it should be all by mahself," With a series of grunts she managed to eventually right herself, even as Twilight could only put a hoof to her face at how beyond stubborn her friend was being. "There!" The farm mare said at last as she finally had her hooves on solid ground. "See? All by mahself, just like always. And ah ain't in the mood fer a lecture. Ah'm sorry about the bunnies, but, it's their own fault fer not cooperatin'."

“Do you even hear yourself?!” Spike and Twilight shouted in unison.

“I know this is rich coming from me,” Spike continued. “But, the way you’re carrying on is destroying yourself and your reputation!”

The stetson wearing earth pony just snorted and turned her back to the duo, she wasn't willing to listen to this conversation any longer. "Ah'll prove that this here Apple can handle these apples. Ah ain't a liar and ah ain't a quitter," She proceeded to trot over to a nearby tree and started kicking it, quickly losing her patience when the apples didn't drop from the tree like they should. "Come on, apples! Fall off already! What are ya waitin' for?!" She complained as she started kicking the tree over and over again.

“Um, Applejack?” Twilight began. “I think you’re bucking a dead… tree.”

Applejack looked and sure enough, the tree she was kicking didn’t even have leaves. She tried to save face. “Ah knew that.” She then looked from side to side.

“That’s a bold-faced lie and you know it, Applejack,” Spike said. “There’s no way that trying to harvest this many apples alone has anything to do with lying.”

“It has everythin’ ta do with it!” Applejack snapped. “Ah told Big Mac that ah’d do it all by mahself before the month is through! If ah go back on that now, ah’d be lyin’!”

“And you think that’ll matter if you’re so tired, you can barely keep your eyes open?!” Spike snapped back. “Just look at yourself! Your mane looks like a bird’s nest!”

“If mah mane’s tidy,” Applejack said. “It means ah ain’t been working hard!”

Twilight stepped up. “Please, Applejack,” she begged. “You’re clearly in over your head! Just let us help–”

But, Applejack defensively and stubbornly bellowed. "No, no, NO, Twilight! If ah've said it once, ah've said it a thousand times already! Ah don't need help n’ ah don't want help! Now please leave me alone! All this talk is makin' me late ta help Pinkie Pie with bakin'. Don't try ta stop me!" She promptly shoved her friends aside, storming off with steam still billowing out of her nostrils.

“Whoa…” Spike gasped. “And I thought I had fire.”

“I read that Earth ponies were stubborn,” said Twilight. “But, this is just asinine!”

“What do we do now, Twilight?” Spike asked, beginning to lose hope.

“It doesn’t look like there’s much else that can be done,” a voice said. Twilight and Spike looked for the owner and found Caramel hiding in a bush.

“Caramel?” Twilight said in surprise. “What are you doing here?”

“I’ve been helping Big Mac keep an eye on Applejack,” Caramel admitted. “I try to help her out without her knowing it. My memory’s nothing spectacular, but, I care about Applejack too much to not at least put in the effort.”

“That is so sweet, Caramel,” Twilight said with a smile. “As you saw, we’re trying our best to help, too.”

“I’m too scared of Applejack snapping at me to even try helping directly anymore,” Caramel said. “She means everything to me and her snapping at me would just break my heart.”

Twilight and Spike comfort Caramel in a platonic manner. “Applejack’s lucky to have such a caring coltfriend like you, Caramel,” Twilight said.

“I’m glad to have her as my marefriend, too,” Caramel said. “My short term memory loss causes most ponies to drive me away, but, not Applejack. She’s different. Even after all the times my forgetfulness got on her nerves, she still had the patience to put up with me that nopony else has.”

“That sounds like Applejack, alright.” Spike smiled. But, his smile quickly turned to a frown. “Though with her being so tired, she’s not acting like her true self.”

“I know,” Caramel said. “I hate seeing her work herself so hard. Being around her helps me remember things.”

“We’ll figure something out,” Spike said, comforting Caramel. “Even if it seems hopeless, we’re not going to give up on our friend.”

Caramel smiled. “There should be more dragons like you, Spike.”

Spike couldn’t help but smile modestly at Caramel’s remark. “We should probably go check on her.”

“No!” Caramel cried. “If you do that, she’ll think you don’t trust her and think she’s a liar, which’ll make things worse! Things are bad enough as it is! Do you really want Applejack thinking you think she’s a liar?”

Twilight and Spike had to concede. It wasn’t an easy decision, but, they knew he was right. “You’re more patient than we are, Caramel,” Twilight said.

“I’ll take care of the apples Applejack spilled,” said Caramel. “While she’s away, I can do some of her work for her without her knowing.”

“Alright.” Twilight said. “Spike and I are going to head back to the library. Need anything before we go?”

“Just promise me that you’ll be ready to help Applejack whether she likes it or not,” Caramel said. “If worse comes to worse.”

“We promise.” Twilight and Spike said together.


Applejack had fortunately managed to cool down a little by the time she made it to Sugarcube Corner. The Cakes were getting ready to step out and leave Pinkie Pie in charge for the first time.

"Now Pinkie Pie, are you absolutely sure you're up for baking the muffins and running the store this afternoon all by yourself?" Mrs. Cake asked her pink coated charge. Mrs. Cake was a plump earth pony mare with a lovely very light blue coat, brilliant rose eyes, and a pinkish mane and tail styled up to look like frosting on a cupcake. Fittingly, her cutie mark depicted three cupcakes.

“Not just by myself, Mrs. Cake.” Pinkie said with a smile. “I also have Applejack helping me bake the muffins. She’s one of the best bakers outside of the Cake family. Isn’t that right, Applejack?”

But, Applejack was too tired to think clearly and ended up shaking her head.

"Wait, no? You mean you're not the best baker ever?" Mr. Cake asked. He was a lanky earth pony stallion with a light brilliant amber coat, moderate green eyes, and a light brilliant orange mane and tail. His cutie mark was three cut carrot cakes.

“Whu-” Applejack said. “Ah mean, no need ta fret. Ah can bake anythin’ from fritters ta pies in the blink of an eye!”

"You two enjoy yourselves," Pinkie said to the Cakes. "Everything will be a-okay here. I remember everything you've taught me."

“Okay, Pinkie,” smiled Mrs. Cake. “Thank you and Applejack both!”

"Better get started on the muffins right away," Mr. Cake added as he and his wife headed out the door. "Customers are already starting to line up for those free samples."

Once the Cakes had left Applejack began to shake violently from side to side. Pinkie quickly put a stop to it by putting her hooves to either side of Applejack's face. "Hey! Stop with the shakin', it's time to get bakin'. I'll get started on the recipe and you bring me the ingredients when I ask for them. Deal?"

“Sounds simple ‘nough.” Applejack said with a slight nod. But, she was already finding it hard to stay awake and even harder to hear just what was being said to her. She didn't want to say anything though because she knew Pinkie would probably say the same thing Twilight, Spike, and Fluttershy had said to her earlier.

So, Pinkie and Applejack were in the kitchen of Sugarcube Corner. They were at a kitchen counter and Pinkie was looking through a cookbook that was open on a stand. “Okay,” said the party mare. “Think you can get some chocolate chips?”

Applejack had nodded off, but, once she heard Pinkie talking, she snapped back to her senses… as best she could. “Uh…” she said. “What was that, Pinkie?”

“Chocolate chips,” Pinkie repeated, though, to Applejack, only the “chips” part registered.

“Chips…” she said quietly to herself. “Oh, ya got it!” She then walked over to a pantry and looked at bags of potato chips. “Tater chips… a little salty and dry… okie dokie.”

She grabs a bag of potato chips and empties the contents into the mixing bowl. “Okay,” said the oblivious party pony. “Now for baking soda.” Applejack only heard “soda.”

“Soda…” she said quietly. “Perfect! That’ll get the tater chips nice n’ wet.”

She then walked over to the opened fridge and pulled out a bottle of cola. She emptied the contents of the bottle into the bowl so the previously dry potato chips were dampened. Pinkie was again too preoccupied with the recipe. “Now, for a cup of flour.”

Again, Applejack misheard. “A cup o’ sour?” she questioned to herself. “Well, lemons are sure sour. One cup o’ sour comin’ up.”

She managed to squeeze out enough lemon juice to fill a one cup sized measuring cup. She then poured the lemon juice into the mixing bowl. “Alright,” Pinkie said again. “Now for wheat germ.”

Applejack reacted with disgust at that. “Wheat worms?” she said with disgust. “Oh! That must be fancy talk fer earthworms!” She stepped outside and dug up some earthworm, which she then added to the bowl. Pinkie saw none of this and got to mixing.

“That’s going to be delicious!” Pinkie said happily.

However, once the batch was done, Pinkie looked at the picture in the cook book and compared it to what was made.

“Hmm,” Pinkie said. “Doesn’t really look like the picture in the book. Oh well, I’m sure it’s just an illustration thing. Still, I better taste test it to make sure.”

Pinkie grabbed a muffin from the tin and took a bite of it. Suddenly, her face went green and she fell to the floor. Applejack woke with a start.

“Huh- wuzzat?” Applejack said in a mutter. Her eyes widened as she saw Pinkie laying on the floor, her face a sickly green. A look at the bitten muffin was enough for the farm mare to comprehend what happened.

“Uh, oh…” said Applejack to herself. “This looks bad. Ah need ta get Pinkie ta the hospital.” She quickly lifted Pinkie onto her back and disposed of the muffins before exiting the kitchen. “Medical emergency!” the farm mare cried.

Applejack made her way to the hospital, with a sick Pinkie Pie on her back. A nurse with a very white coat and pale pink mane and tail saw this. This was Nurse Redheart of the Ponyville General Hospital. “Nurse Redheart!” Applejack cried. “Pinkie’s sick!”

“Oh dear!” Nurse Redheart said with a gasp. “Don’t worry! We’ll take care of her right away.”


Sometime later, Twilight happened to be trotting through town with Spike on her back when the Cakes came rushing up to her. "Twilight, have you heard?!" Mrs. Cake frantically exclaimed as her eyes appeared to have widened and her husband looked about ready to faint.

“H-heard what?!” Twilight gasped. “What’s going on?!”

"It's Pinkie Pie!" Mr. Cake explained in a rapid paced tone of voice. "She's sick, really sick! The kind of sick that sends you to the hospital!"

Twilight and Spike gasped. They followed the Cakes to the hospital. "When did this happen?!" Twilight frantically asked.

“More importantly, how could this have happened?” Spike gasped.

"We just found out for ourselves a minute ago, Applejack rushed her over to Ponyville General Hospital and then took off to get back to applebucking!" Mrs. Cake answered. "My husband and I were just on our way to the hospital ourselves, we haven't told anypony else yet."

Twilight and Spike looked at each other as if to say, “It figures Applejack was involved.” Soon, the four reached the hospital and were greeted by Nurse Redheart.

“Thank goodness you’re here.” Nurse Redheart said in a worried tone.

"Nurse, do you know where Pinkie Pie is?!" Mr. Cake questioned the nurse pony. "My wife and I are the ones who provide her room and board in return for her working with us."

Nurse Redheart replied, “Don't worry, Pinkie Pie is already in recovery. Applejack got her over here in a hurry, and we don't believe Pinkie ate anything truly harmful. She should be okay once she gets it all out of her system. I'll lead you to her."

So, Nurse Redheart led the ponies and Spike to the room where Pinkie was resting. She was noticeably green in the face and sweat beaded her forehead. "Mr. Cake, Mrs. Cake," Pinkie weakly called to the both of them. "There was... a mishap."

“With the baked goods?” Mrs. Cake asked softly.

Pinkie retorted with a shake of her head. "No, not baked goods. Baked bads." Then she turned her head as she groaned, feeling sick to her stomach.

“What was the last thing she ate?” Twilight asked Nurse Redheart.

The nurse rolled out a tray with one of the muffins baked at Sugarcube Corner that day. “One of these,” she said.

Spike looked at the muffin and didn’t see anything wrong with it. “It looks fine to me,” he said. He then sampled it himself by eating it in one bite. “Hmm… tastes like potato chips, cola, lemon juice, and… Huh. That’s a weird texture. Never tasted that before.” The ponies all looked at him in disbelief. “What?”

“We ran some tests on those muffins,” explained Nurse Redheart. “We found worms in them.”

Spike wasn’t sure he heard right. “Uh, come again?”

“I said, ‘we found worms in them,’” Nurse Redheart repeated. “Quite remarkable that you’re not sick from eating that muffin.”

Spike’s face shifted from confusion to abject horror. “You’re telling me that I just ate innocent creatures?”

“Spike,” Twilight comforted. “You didn’t know.”

The little dragon made a dash to a nearby sink, trying to wash his tongue with soap. Nurse Redheart quickly pulled him back before the soap touched his tongue.

“I must advise you not to do that.” Nurse Redheart said. “This soap may be non-toxic, but, it’s still ill-advised to be applied to the tongue.”

“I have to clean my mouth of my crime!” Spike protested.

“What crime?” Twilight asked.

“Killing innocent creatures and betraying the ponies I respect so much,” Spike explained. “I swore I’d never eat meat as long as I lived out of respect for ponies and here I am doing just that.”

“Ponies have plenty of meat-eating animals as pets,” Nurse Redheart explained. “So, you haven’t actually done anything wrong.”

“I still feel like a monster,” Spike said.

Twilight levitated him to face her. “Spike, look at me,” she gently commanded. Spike timidly faces Twilight, tears present in his eyes. “Do you feel guilty about eating those worms?”

“Of course I do.” Spike sniffled. “If somepony had told me before that there were worms in the muffins, I wouldn't have eaten them.”

“That proves you’re not a monster, Spike,” Twilight comforted. “A monster wouldn’t feel guilty and would continue eating those muffins despite knowing what’s in them.”

“R-really?” Spike sniffled.

“Really, really,” Twilight assured the young dragon. “Now, as we’ve seen, Applejack’s sleep deprivation has poisoned Pinkie Pie. This has gone too far. You have two options. Continue to wallow in your guilt or help me confront Applejack so we can finally get it through her head.”

Spike took a deep cleansing breath. “I’m coming with you,” Spike finally said. “And from this moment on, I’m never going to eat those baked bads ever again.”

“Good boy,” Twilight commended. “If you still feel guilty after confronting Applejack, I’ll get the rest of the girls to give you a group hug. Deal?”

“Deal.” Spike smiled. “I should be okay, but, thanks.”

With that, Twilight dashed off with Spike on her back. “That seemed oddly like a mother comforting her son,” commented Mrs. Cake.

“You’ll be like that soon, sugar plum,” Mr. Cake smiled.

“Carrot!” Mrs. Cake blushed. “Not in public!”

“Sorry I ruined your honeymoon,” said the sick Pinkie.

“None of that, Pinkie,” Mrs. Cake soothed. “Your health takes top priority.”

“Yes,” Mr. Cake smiled gently. “Rest well and you’ll be back to it in no time.”


Twilight and Spike rallied Caramel before they once again found Applejack hard at work in the orchards of Sweet Apple Acres and it was truly a miracle that the farm mare hadn't collapsed completely from exhaustion already. It looked like it was a struggle for her just to stay awake.

“Must…” Applejack said, in the midst of kicking. “Finish… buckin'… apples… before…”

“Applejack!” said Caramel, a serious look on his face.

“Not now, Caramel,” panted Applejack. “Ah’m almost done, then, Ah can rest.”

“No, AJ,” Caramel stood firm. “I’ve been quiet for too long now. In the last few days, you over-propelled a pegasus, terrorized bushels of bouncing baby bunnies, which caused a worse veggie-flower shortage than last time, nearly poisoned plenty of ponies, and that’s not even the worst part of it! Spike feels like a monster after he ate one of the muffins you helped Pinkie make!”

This caught Applejack’s attention immediately.

“Wha?” Applejack gasped. “Well, shucks. Ah never meant fer Spike ta feel like a monster.” She then noticed that Spike didn’t seem sick. “Wait, how come Spike ain’t sick?”

“That’s not the point, Applejack,” Twilight said. “This has gone too far. Our mistake was leaving you to your own devices the first time. We don’t care what you say anymore.”

“You. Need. Help.” The trio said in unison.

However, with one final kick, Applejack saw and felt apples fall into her baskets. And she smiled as she realized what these apples meant. "Ha! No, ah don't," Then she boasted. "Look around ya, Twilight. Ah harvested every single apple from every single tree here on Sweet Apple Acres and ah did it without anypony or any dragon’s help at all. So, how d'ya like them apples?"

“So, I guess those trees aren’t on Sweet Apple Acres,” Spike commented while pointing in one direction. In the direction he pointed revealed several apple trees that still had yet to be harvested.

Applejack stared out at the unbucked trees in disbelief. How could she have overlooked them for so long? "What?! But... how did... where did... s-so many... ah mean..." And just like that the last of her strength left her as the farm mare collapsed to the ground.


Some time later, Applejack came to her senses. Twilight, Spike, and Caramel were looking at her with worried looks present on their faces. “Oh, good, you’re okay,” Twilight sighed in relief.

“Now look, Applejack,” started Caramel. “You know that I love you to bits and that I respect you and your family. It's great that you're always there to help anypony in need, so, maybe you could put a little bit of that stubborn pride of yours aside and finally allow your friends to help you. I’m asking you as your coltfriend to please consider. I don’t want you putting yourself through that again."

Applejack knew he was right. Hearing what had happened and seeing all she went through, she lost any will to fight. “Okay. Y’all win. Ah can’t do this on mah own.”

"We are not taking 'no' for an answer," Twilight went on, briefly unaware of her friend's response. "Wait, what? You mean you agree?"

“Yes, ah agree,” Applejack said, exhaustion clearly evident in her voice. “Mah body’s just about ready ta give out. Ah couldn’t buck another tree even if ah wanted ta. So, please, help me~!”

"I sure can," Twilight smiled in satisfaction. "In fact, I think all our friends can, even Pinkie Pie. Once she gets out of the hospital anyway."

“Until she gets out,” Caramel asserted. “You’re taking time off so your body can recover.”

“Gladly.” Applejack panted. “Ah can’t thank y’all enough.”

Caramel helped Applejack get up. “You’re a bit lighter than usual,” he noted. “When’s the last time you ate?” As if to answer his question, Applejack’s stomach let out a deep, loud rumble. “That’s what I thought,” the stallion said. “Twilight, levitate Applejack onto my back.”

Twilight nodded and carefully obliged, making sure Applejack didn’t get hurt further. Caramel then carried the tired and hungry farm mare to the farm house.


A few days later, Pinkie and Applejack were both feeling much better. They and the other ponies in the friend group, Spike, and Caramel were helping to collect the other apples in the orchard. Spike helped out by putting any apples that missed the baskets into them. With so many ponies and Spike pitching in, the work was done in under a day. When the work was just about done, Twilight asked Spike to dictate a letter to Princess Celestia.

“You got it, Twilight,” Spike eagerly agreed. “It’s about time I got to write one of these.”

“Thank you, Spike.” Twilight smiled. Once Spike got a paper and quill ready, Twilight began.

Dear Princess Celestia,

My friend Applejack is one of the best friends a pony could ever ask for. She’s so willing to help anyone at the drop of the hat. The trouble is whenever she needs help, it’s hard for her to accept it. But, today, Applejack learned that sometimes it’s okay to ask for help, especially if it’s needed. While we realize the importance of offering help to those who need it, we must also give of ourselves and accept what others have to offer. Preferably before things get out of hoof.

Your faithful student,
Twilight Sparkle.

“Okay, I got it,” Spike said. He then set the scroll ablaze and the ashes flew off to the Princesses. Caramel witnessed this.

“Did you just send a letter with your fire breath?” he asked in amazement.

“I sure did,” Spike said.

“Come on, y’all,” Applejack smiled. “After all yer hard work, y’all deserve a nice, cold drink o’ apple juice.”

Spike, Caramel, and the mares all gathered at the table with Applejack, Big Mac, Granny Smith, and Apple Bloom.

“Ah’m not normally the mushy type,” Applejack said. “But, ah wanted ta thank y’all for yer hard work. Ah also wanted ta apologize for mah harshness. Ah’m sorry fer also messin’ things up by trying ta help. Ah was a bit stubborn.”

“A bit?” Twilight playfully ribbed.

“Okay,” Applejack chuckled. “A mite stubborn. Ah’m mighty sorry, everypony.” She then faced Spike. “Ah’m especially sorry fer makin’ ya feel like a monster, Spike. That’s the last thing ah’d ever want.” The mares (barring Twilight and Pinkie) grew confused by what she meant.

“What’s this about Spike and feeling like a monster?” Rarity asked in confusion.

Spike looked down in shame. “Remember when Pinkie was in the hospital a few days ago?”

“Oh, yeah,” Rainbow Dash said. “I had heard of that.”

Spike sighed. “It was because she taste-tested a muffin with worms in it,” he admitted. “I ate one whole without knowing there were worms in it.”

“Aww, Spike,” Fluttershy said sympathetically. “Just because you ate something like that doesn’t make you a monster. Though, by the look on your face, you look like you feel bad about it.”

Spike nodded. “I do,” he confessed. “I swore I’d never eat meat as long as I lived out of respect for ponies. When I ate those worms, I felt like I betrayed not only the ponies I respect, but, myself, too.”

“I’m surprised he didn’t get sick eating that muffin,” Pinkie chimed in. “I got sick from the first bite.”

“Well, if ya think about it,” Apple Bloom observed. “It kind o’ makes sense. We ponies ain’t exactly meant ta digest meat. Spike’s got a stronger stomach n’ any pony’s.” She gave Spike’s stomach a few gentle pokes. “Ah mean, if Spike’s stomach can digest some sparklin’ rocks, it’d make short work out o’ a few worms.” A few stern glares from the other ponies and Spike himself clued the little filly in that she wasn’t helping the situation. “Ah’ll simmer down now.”

“Not to worry, darling.” Rarity said. “We love you all the same and we know you aren’t a monster. You’re a gentle and polite little drake and even if you ate a few worms, the fact that you still show guilt and remorse shows that you are indeed not a monster.”

“C’mere, young’n,” Granny Smith beckoned to Spike.

Spike politely walked up to Granny Smith. “Yes?”

“Now, ah’ve seen a fair number o’ critters most ponies see as monsters in mah time,” Granny Smith said before rubbing Spike’s head. “But, y’all ain’t one of ‘em. Ya ain’t got a mean bone in yer li’l body. Ah can spot a bad apple from miles away. Don’t need no Mystic Eyes ta do it, neither.”

Twilight then whispered to her mare friends, whispering her plan to give a group hug to Spike. The mares all agree. “Granny,” asked Applejack. “Could we borrow Spike fer somethin’?”

“A’ course.” Granny Smith said with a smile.

Spike walked over and suddenly found himself being embraced by the six mares. Spike smiled happily and he felt his worries being put to rest. The positive feelings doubled when Twilight placed a hoof on his left face cheek. The other mares grew curious.

“What are you doing?” Rainbow asked.

“Spike likes when his left face cheek is touched,” Twilight explained. “It makes him feel better.”

I’ll have to make a note of that, Rarity thought. Celestia knows he needs it after what he’s endured at such a young age.

The mares continued to hug and comfort Spike.

The end.

Author's Note:

Another successful chapter. Points for anyone who caught the Transformers Animated reference.

Like SuperPinkBrony12, I shuffled the order Pinkie and Fluttershy are helped. I also included the bit where the muffins are made and altered the aftermath.

I also used SuperPinkBrony12's reasons for not having Apple Bloom and Granny Smith help. I also decided to give the mule in the episode a name.

While Spike eats baked bads here as per the original, he wasn't aware of the worms and feels guilty after learning about it. I came up with this idea for the purpose of showing Spike some love.

If you're enjoying the story so far, contact me via private messages if you'd like to help make future chapters.