• Published 1st Nov 2022
  • 5,656 Views, 1,244 Comments

My Little Pony: Nine Elements Book 1 - BlueBioWolf



My version of Friendship is Magic that has nine Elements of Harmony and Spike being treated with more respect.

  • ...
11
 1,244
 5,656

Chapter 21: Over a Barrel (S1:E21)

My Little Pony: Nine Elements

Written by Brandon Nell and Blake Hawkins

Additional suggestions by Rachel Ravens

Chapter 21: Over a Barrel

It had been three days since Fluttershy resigned as Photo Finish’s model. On that particular day, Spike, Twilight, and their friends were loading a potted apple tree into the last car of a train.

“I never thought I would be taking a train to Appleloosa,” Twilight said. “I had heard a lot about it, but, this will be my first time going there.”

“Mah cousin, Braeburn, moved there a couple years back,” Applejack said.

“I can’t wait to meet him,” Pinkie smiled. “It’ll be nice to meet the members of your family I haven't met yet.”

“Where did he live originally?” Spike asked.

“In Manehattan,” Applejack said. “With mah Aunt Citrus Orange n’ mah Uncle Mostly Orange.*”

“Manehattan?” Rarity gasped. “That place is home to the longest row of fashion shops; Saddle Row. But, if your cousin moved to Appleloosa, there must be something there that appealed more to his personal choices.”

Applejack nodded. “Much like me n’ mah siblin’s, he had the love o’ farmin’ crops. His two sisters, Sunflower n‘ Babs Seed, preferred Manehattan.”

“How long will it take for us to get there by train?” Spike asked.

“At least overnight,” Applejack said. “That’s why ah went ahead n’ ordered access ta the sleeper cars fer y’all.”

Twilight knew that all of them sleeping in one car meant potential for Spike to be rudely awoken, something she knew he took exception to. While her friends knew this as well, she knew that Pinkie and Rainbow could be a bit loud even when trying to be quiet.

“As well as havin’ a private bunk fer Spike in Bloomberg’s sleeper car,**” Applejack added.

“Why am I stuck with the tree?” Spike asked.

“Would ya rather risk Rainbow er Pinkie chattin’ n’ wakin’ ya up in the dead o’ night?” Applejack asked.

“Good point,” Spike said. “It’ll be good to get some extra oxygen while I sleep.”


So, the seven friends boarded the train. Spike seemed particularly excited.

“Ya excited ta check out Appleloosa, too, Spike?” Applejack asked with a smile.

“Actually,” Spike said. “I’m mostly excited about the train.”

“Yeah?” Applejack asked.

“For as long as I can remember,” Spike said. “I’ve had a keen interest in trains.***”

“That’s mighty nice,” Applejack smiled. “Guess it is a good thing ah asked ya ta come along.”

“That and Twilight refused to go without me,” Spike quipped.

“That’s true,” Applejack smiled, giving him an affectionate head rub. “Can’t leave ya all alone.”

Rarity gave Spike a bag full of emeralds. “In case you get hungry,” she said.

“Thanks, Rarity,” Spike smiled.

The engine’s whistle blew loudly, signaling that it’s time to go.

“All aboard~!” the conductor called.

“We better take our seats,” Twilight said.

“Good idea, Twilight,” Fluttershy smiled. “Safety first.”


Soon, night fell as the train continued its journey. Spike was asleep in the private sleeper car where Bloomberg and Applejack were. In a separate sleeper car, most of the mares were chatting amongst themselves. Rarity, however, was trying to get her beauty sleep. This was extremely difficult.

“Darlings,” Rarity said. “Not to be a stick in the mud, but, would you mind keeping it down? I’m trying to get my beauty sleep.” She applied a mud mask to her face.

“Sorry, Rarity,” Fluttershy said softly. “We’ll be quiet.”

The lights went out and the mares went to sleep. After a few minutes, though, a hushed voice breaks the silence. It was Rainbow.

“Psst,” she whispered. “Pinkie, you asleep yet?”

“No,” Pinkie whispered. “Are you?”

“If I was sleeping,” Rainbow asked Pinkie in an annoyed whisper. She was using one of her wings to hold a lit candle. “How could I have asked you if you were asleep?”

Pinkie considered this. “Good point,” Pinkie whispered. “So, what’s up?”

“When we get to Appleloosa, you think we'll have to carry that heavy tree all the way from the train to the orchard?” Rainbow whispered.

“You mean Bloomberg?” Pinkie asked.

“No, I mean Fluttershy,” Rainbow whispered sarcastically.

Pinkie didn’t pick up on the sarcasm. “Fluttershy’s not a tree, silly.”

“That’s because I was being sarcastic,” Rainbow whispered before stage whispering. “Of course I meant Bloomberg!”

“I’d like to be a tree,” giggled Fluttershy.

“…Why?” Rainbow asked in confusion.

Twilight was half awake at that point. “You know Pinkie has trouble identifying sarcasm, right?”

“I realize that now,” Rainbow whispered.

“Well, I'm sure the folks meeting us at the train station will probably have plenty of able bodies to help us get Bloomberg to the orchard,” Twilight whispered.

“I hope so,” Rainbow whispered. “I’m more super speed than super strength. I’m sure there are other ways I can help, though.****”

Rarity had just about enough. “Would you all be quiet NOW?!” Rarity shouted, cucumber slices on her eyes and curlers in her mane. The light of the candle gave Rarity a somewhat menacing look, and this surprised the other mares. So, they blew out the candle and went to bed.


Meanwhile, Spike was looking out the window to see the countryside pass by. It’s strangely relaxing, Spike thought to himself. Given that it’s night, he didn’t want to speak out loud and disturb anyone despite the only other living thing in the car with him being the tree. The speed of the train is pretty smooth and seeing the desert at night is nice. He then began to feel sleep take hold. He nuzzled up in his bunk and drifted off to dreamland.

Suddenly, the engine broke down in the middle of the night, stopping with a jerk. The passengers woke up with a start.

“What’s going on?!” Rainbow demanded before the conductor entered.

“Terribly sorry,” he said. “The engine has broken down and the crew of the train will have to pull it the rest of the way as we have no means of contacting nearby emergency services.*****”

“An iron horse pulled by actual horses?” Pinkie said. “What are the chances?”

Spike suddenly busted into the sleeper car. “Okay, who’s the donkey’s behind that made the train jerk?!” he asked in a grumpy mood.

“The engine itself, Spike,” Twilight explained. “It broke down.”

“Well,” Spike said. “I’d like to see the pony that forgot to check the engine and punch their lights out!”

“Spike,” Twilight said. “Remember what I taught you. Show me a dragon that tries correcting mistakes with violence, I’ll show you a dragon that’s run out of good ideas.******”

Spike heard Twilight’s words and he took a deep, cleansing breath. “You’re right, Twilight,” he said. “Sorry. You know that I get grumpy when I don’t get my sleep.”

“Well, I know an easy way to fix that,” Twilight said before she levitated a thermos of hot chocolate to him.

“Wow, Twilight,” Rainbow said with an impressed smile as Spike drank from the thermos while heading back to his car. “You really are like a mom to him.”

“I can’t bring myself to physically harm him,” Twilight said. “That’d just make me continue the cycle of abuse and make him think hurting others is okay. I want him to be better than that.”

Soon, Spike finished his hot chocolate. He felt much more relaxed and his eyelids began to grow heavy.


The sun was rising as the train continued its journey. Spike was able to get the sleep that he needed and he felt much better. Suddenly, the ponies were woken up by being jerked out of their beds.

“Now what?” Rainbow said. “There can’t be more engine problems.”

Pinkie looked out the window.

“Ooh!” Pinkie exclaimed. “Looks like we’re getting a greeting from the locals!”

The others looked out and saw a buffalo stampede.

“I don’t think I’ve read anything in my books about a buffalo show,” Twilight said. “It’s a stampede!”

“They have fascinating accessories,” Rarity said. “Though, their proximity to the train has me concerned.”

Rarity was right to be concerned. One fully grown buffalo rammed against one of the coaches, causing the train to wobble on the tracks.

“I know this is rich coming from me,” Rainbow said. “But, that was reckless and stupid!”

“Hang on, everypony!” Fluttershy called.

“Look!” Pinkie said. “They’re doing tricks!”

“What do you mean, Pinkie?” Twilight said. “I don’t think they’re here to entertain us!”

One buffalo jumped on top of another.

“What do you think is going to happen?” Rarity asked as another, smaller buffalo came running.

“Aww, it looks like a younger one,” Pinkie smiled. “She’s so cute.”

The smaller one jumped on top of the stacked buffalo.

“I don’t know what’s about to happen,” Fluttershy said nervously. “But, we better brace for impact.”

To their surprise, the small buffalo jumped on top of the car they were in.

“Can somepony please explain what’s going on here?!” Rainbow shouted impatiently.

“Why don’t you just ask the one on top of the train?” Pinkie asked.

“I’m goin’ up!” Rainbow said. She opened the skylight window and flew out to the top of the train car. She called out to the young buffalo. “Hey! What are you doing?!”

The young buffalo didn’t respond.

“Hey, I’m talking to you!” Rainbow called.

The young buffalo ignored her and made her way to the back of the train.

“Hey!” Rainbow called, following her. The buffalo continued to ignore her while picking up speed. “I just want to know what’s going on!”


Meanwhile, Spike was sound asleep, unaware that the bed was sliding around. Applejack was making sure Bloomberg was in place, but, she had to make sure Spike was safe. However, she remembered that she kept a watering can in her car and quickly left to get it.

There can’t be too much trouble between now n’ when ah get back, Applejack said internally.

However, outside, Rainbow was still trying to speak to the buffalo.

“Stop, please!” Rainbow called. “Why won’t you stop?!” In her frustration, she didn’t realize that she was on a collision course with a railroad sign. “Just stop so we can–!”

The loud metallic clang from when Rainbow hit the railroad sign interrupted her. She felt like she was seeing stars. The buffalo then uncoupled the car from the rest of the train. A few of her buffalo brethren helped to push the car away from the train after she whistled a signal.


Inside the car, Spike began to stir. “Boy, that was a great sleep,” Spike said. “Glad things got better after the engine broke down. Especially with Twilight to help keep my head on straight.” He then looked out a window and saw the buffalo moving the car he was in. “Huh, that’s weird. It’s like those buffalo are supposed to be moving, but, it looks like they’re not going anyway. Wait a minute!” He climbed to the car’s upper level and saw that it was being pushed away from the train. He tried to talk to one of the buffalo. “Uh, excuse me? Is there a particular reason why you’re pushing this car away from the train?”

Spike’s question fell on deaf ears as the windows couldn’t be opened, which prevented the buffalo from hearing him. Spike groaned to himself and hunched himself in his bed. “What am I going to do?”

With Twilight and her other friends, they saw the buffalo take the last car away.

“They’ve got Spike!” Twilight said.

“Ah’m powerful sorry, everypony,” Applejack said dismally. “If ah hadn’t left ta get Bloomberg’s waterin’ can, Spike wouldn’ta got himself dragonnapped.”

“I’m going after them!” Twilight declared. “Spike’s my responsibility and I’m not going to let them take him away from me!”

“I’m going with you, Twilight,” Rarity said. “Spike means a lot to me as well.”

“As much as I appreciate that,” Twilight said. “Rainbow and I should be enough to get Spike back.”

Twilight jumped off the train and ran to Rainbow, who had just come to.

“Ugh, what happened?” Rainbow groaned.

“Those buffalo took Spike,” Twilight said.

“What?!” Rainbow exclaimed. “We have to get him back!” She was about to fly when a migraine occurred. “Ow! Uh, I think we can get him back by walking the way they went, could we?”

“You’ll need to take it easy with those migraines,” Twilight said. “We’ll follow their hoofprints.”


Meanwhile, Rarity was pacing in concern over Spike.

“It’s going to be okay, Rarity,” Fluttershy said gently. “If anypony can help Spike, it’s Twilight. And Rainbow is the Element of Loyalty. They’ll make sure Spike is back safe and sound.”

“I can’t help but worry all the same,” Rarity said. “He has a very sheltered upbringing and he’s much younger than we are.”

“Hey,” Pinkie said. “Just because Spike’s a little guy, it doesn't mean he doesn’t have moxie. After all, didn’t you and him use your wits to get out of the Diamond Dog situation with help from Bluu?”

“Yes,” Rarity admitted. “But, I still worry. Those buffalo nearly knocking the train off the tracks didn’t help matters. Do you even realize how many ponies could’ve been hurt or worse if they succeeded?”

“Uh,” Pinkie said. “Considering the only ponies on the train were us, the conductor, the waiter, the chef, the bartender, the firepony, the baggage car attendant, the mail car attendant, and the engineer, only 14 ponies and a dragon. Honestly, it makes me wonder why this train has so many cars if we’re the only passengers.*******”

“Regardless,” Rarity said. “That is still quite a number of ponies and dragon that could potentially be hurt. Spike’s scales are durable, but, they still have a limit.”

“Ah may not know the intentions on the buffalo,” Applejack said. “But, ah can promise ya that Spike will be okay. Twilight n’ Rainbow’ll be safe, too. We’ll just have ta trust ‘em.”

Applejack, Rarity, and Fluttershy all took a deep breath before realizing that Pinkie was nowhere in sight.


Meanwhile, the buffalo brought the car to their campsite. Once Spike felt the car coming to a complete stop, he opened the door. He saw the buffalo being praised by what appeared to be their chief. None of the buffalo had noticed him yet.

“Well done,” the chief said to the other buffalo. “That should keep the ponies from sending trains through our land.”

“Hey, what’s going on here?!” Spike demanded. This caught the attention of the buffalo, who all gasped upon seeing him and immediately began bowing in reverence. “Uh, did I miss something here?”

“Pardon my tribe’s insolence, mighty dragon,” the chief said. “They were unaware of your blessed presence.”

“This is just raising more questions,” Spike said. “You’re acting like I’m a god or something.”

“We buffalo revere dragons as guardians in our culture,” the chief explained. “They protect us and we thank them with offerings of gemstones.”

“But, I’m only ten years old,” Spike said.

“Yes, we can tell you are a youngling,” the chief said. “But, we respect them as much as we respect the full-grown dragons. We help nourish the young ones so they can grow. Which reminds me, you must be hungry.”

Some bowls of turquoise are brought to him.

“Well,” Spike said. “I haven’t had breakfast yet. So, thanks.” He began sampling the turquoise. “So, can you please tell me what’s going on?”

“We are the Buffalo Tribe,” the chief explained. “We have lived in this part of Equestria for several generations. However, over time, ponies have come to our land, building their structures.”

“Why’s that a problem?” Spike asked. “You have plenty of land to spare.”

“The problem was,” the chief said sternly. “When we tried to ask them what was going on, they chased us away and they went on carrying on without talking to us.”

“Okay, I can see where you’re coming from,” Spike admitted. “I sure wouldn’t like being given the boot without a say in the matter. But, are they actually attacking any of you?”

“No,” the chief said. “But, during their building, they planted many trees in an apple orchard. The land they chose is stampeding grounds for our traditional ceremonies.”

“You can’t just stampede somewhere else?” Spike asked.

“It is not a matter of stampeding whenever we want wherever we want,” the chief said. “It is a matter of upholding our tribe’s legacy.”

“You know,” Spike said. “Maybe the settler ponies have their own reasons for using the land. From what Applejack told me, the ground they planted their orchards in are the only fertile ground for miles. Those trees grow food for them to survive on. Do you genuinely think they deserve to starve to death just trying to find a new place to live?”

“I see your point,” the chief said. “But, I do not know the answer.”

At that moment, the young buffalo from before made it back to the buffalo tribe’s campsite. Hidden behind her by a rock were Rainbow and Twilight.********


Meanwhile, the train arrived at Appleloosa. Applejack, Rarity, and Fluttershy, still trying to find Pinkie, exited the train. At the platform, they met up with an Earth pony stallion. He had a golden yellow coat, a brownish-honey colored mane and tail, bright green eyes, a large red apple for his Cutie Mark, and he wore typical western garb of a stetson hat and matching vest. This was Applejack’s cousin, Braeburn.

“Hey there,” the stallion said in a southern accent. “Welcome ta A-A-ppleloosa!”

“Braeburn, listen-” Applejack tried to explain the situation, but, she was promptly interrupted.

“Cousin Applejack,” Braeburn said. “Mind yer manners. Ya didn’t introduce me ta yer compadres.”

“Listen,” Applejack tried to say again. “Somethin’ terrible’s happened, n’--”

“Ah’ll say somethin’ terrible happened,” Braeburn said. “Yer train’s seven minutes late, seven minutes less ta enjoy the sights o’ A-A-ppleloosa!”

“No time ta enjoy the pleasantries!” Applejack shouted. “Our dragon friend n’ the new tree were captured by a herd o’ buffalo!”

Braeburn’s exuberant attitude was quickly dashed upon hearing “buffalo.”

“D-did ya say, ‘buffalo?’” Braeburn asked with a nervous twinge in his eye.

“Is there a problem?” Fluttershy asked.

“Ah’ll say it’s a problem!” Braeburn shouted in alarm. “They’ve been tryin’ ta make us move our apple trees ever since we started plantin’ ‘em! When we were startin’ ta make the town, they came along n’ tried ta stop us. If we hadn’t made ‘em leave, who knows what they would’a done?”

“Did they explain why they wanted you to move the trees?” Fluttershy asked.

“Well…” Braeburn said in consideration. “Ta be honest, ah can’t rightly say why. Soon as they said ta move ‘em, we done pelted rotten apples at ‘em.”

“Well, that’s not very nice,” Fluttershy said.

“Yes,” Rarity said. “Yes, it is important to have a good supply of food, but, if these buffalo are asking you to move the trees, there must be a good reason why.”

“Even if they did,” Braeburn said. “Plantin’ our trees weren’t easy. We’re a strictly earth pony town. We ain’t got magic ta lighten the load. Heck, we ain’t even finished our hospital yet.”

“Perhaps it would be better if we talked to the buffalo properly,” Fluttershy said. “They might be able to help.”

“After tryin’ ta cut off our supply o’ food n’ git in the way o’ buildin’ this here town,” Braeburn said. “We ain’t exactly in a chattin’ mood with ‘em.”

“There has to be something we can do, Applejack,” Fluttershy said softly. “If everyone gets along not trusting each other, this could lead to a lot of trouble.”

“Far as ah’m concerned,” Applejack said. “It don’t matter why them buffalo want the settler ponies ta leave. Y’all two don’t live on no farm, so, ah wouldn’t expect ya ta understand how rump-bustin’ it can be settin’ a town up.”

“Applejack,” Rarity said. “I do understand that it’s a lot of work on building a town such as this. It does take time and effort to make the dresses and ensembles that I sell. So, I do understand where they’re coming from.”

“These here buildin’s were all made in the past year,” Braeburn said. “N’ the town still ain’t finished. Plenty o’ the ponies workin’ on the hospital break their backs workin’ on it n’ have ta go out o’ town just ta get treatment since our hospital ain’t done yet.”

“I don’t mean to criticize,” Fluttershy said. “But, maybe the hospital should’ve been one of the first buildings constructed for the town.*********”

“Sheriff Silverstar insisted on his office bein’ made first since he protects us from lawbreakers,” Braeburn said. “But, ah do see where yer comin’ from.”

“Pardon my ignorance,” Rarity said. “But, I’m fairly certain that sheriffs don’t have the authority to run a town. I believe that responsibility lies with the mayor.”

“Sheriff Silverstar IS the mayor here,” Braeburn said. “He’s also the town’s judge, construction forepony, banker, blacksmith, n’ hat maker. That last one’s more o’ a hobby fer him.”

“So,” Fluttershy said. “Everyone’s just going to carry on arguing with each other instead of coming up with a solution that works for everyone?”

“Personally,” Braeburn said. “Ah’m plum sick o’ all this back n’ forth.”

“So, do something about it,” Rarity said.

“Ah don’t rightly see what ah CAN do,” Braeburn said. “Ah’m only a farmer, carpenter, repairstallion, stationmaster, tour guide, n’ buckball champion. Them last two’re hobbies fer me.”

“Somepony may have to explain to me what buckball is some other time,” Fluttershy said. “For now, I think the answer is pretty clear on what you should do.”


Back at the buffalo camp, Rainbow and Twilight were looking from behind a rock.

“If I learn that the buffalo hurt Spike,” Rainbow whispered angrily. “They are going to get the ol’ one-two!”

“Calm down, Rainbow,” Twilight said. “We’re in their territory. Fighting could spark an interregional conflict.”

“So, what can we do?” Rainbow said. “What if they hurt Spike?”

“What if they didn’t hurt Spike?” Twilight said in response. “We need to understand their motives and why they did this.”

“Twilight has a point,” Pinkie’s voice rang out.

“Thank you, Pinkie,” Twilight said. At that, she turned to face the pink cotton candy-maned mare herself. “Pinkie?! What are you doing here?! How did you even get here without us noticing?!”

“I have my ways,” Pinkie said with a wink. “I came to rescue Spike just as you and Rainbow did.”

Rainbow held a hoof to Pinkie’s mouth.

“Well, keep it down,” Rainbow said with a whisper. “The more of us out here, the more chances there are of us getting caught.”

They suddenly heard the thundering gallop of buffalo hooves.

“I think it’s a bit late for that,” Twilight said.

The mares found themselves surrounded by buffalo.

“Uh…” Pinkie said with a timid grin. “Hi~”

“Hold it!” Spike’s voice called out.

The buffalo cleared a path and allowed Spike to meet up with the three mares.

“Spike!” Twilight happily exclaimed. She hugged him happily. “Oh, Spike, I’m so glad you’re okay!”

“Glad to see you, too, Twilight,” Spike said in a strained voice. “Some oxygen would be nice!”

Twilight heard the strain in Spike’s voice and let him go. “Sorry, I just missed seeing you.”

Spike let the air return to his lungs. “Okay, every buffalo,” Spike said. “Everything’s cool. These ponies are my friends.”

The buffalo nodded with comprehension and left.

“Twilight, you ever get the feeling you’re a few steps behind?” Rainbow asked.

“More like a full staircase in this circumstance,” Twilight said.

“Don’t worry, guys,” Spike said. “Chief Thunderhooves will explain everything as he did for me. I can’t promise he won’t badmouth ponies, though.”

“Oh, boy,” Rainbow said, feeling a slight twinge of nervousness.

“Just try not to do anything stupid, Rainbow,” Twilight said.

“Just don’t pull a Gilda,” Pinkie said.

That, I can promise,” Rainbow said.


That night, Spike and the three mares were sitting by a campfire.

“Thank you for keeping Spike safe,” Twilight said to the buffalo. Most of them simply snorted at her while the small one gave Spike another bowl of turquoise.

“How are the turquoise, Spike?” Pinkie asked with a smile.

“You know those blue cotton candy-flavored lollipops?” Spike asked.

“Yeah,” Pinkie smiled. “We sell those sometimes at Sugarcube Corner.”

“Turquoise tastes like that,” Spike said.

“Neato,” Pinkie smiled.

“We’ve been here for hours now and we’re no closer to learning the deal with the buffalo than when we started,” Rainbow said. She then looked at the little buffalo in recognition. “You!”

“I see you have met my daughter, Little Strongheart,” Chief Thunderhooves said.

“Please accept my apologies,” Little Strongheart said. “We never meant to harm anyone.”

“You deliberately bumped yourselves into the side of a train with ponies on it, which could’ve caused a derailment,” Rainbow countered. “How do you expect that to happen without ponies getting hurt?!**********”

“You can thank Molasses for that,” Little Strongheart said. “He used his softest bump. In any case, we were really doing this to make sure the tree on the train wouldn’t be planted on our land without our permission like the other trees were.”

“Your land?” Rainbow said. “And if that was a soft bump, I’d hate to see a hard one. I still have bruises from when the car we were in tilted.”

“Even so,” Chief Thunderhooves said. “I do understand the settlers’ need for a new home, but, they carried on building their town and planting their trees without our permission.”

“What, you don’t have enough land as it is?” Rainbow said. “You didn’t have any problems stampeding near the train.”

“Would you have difficulty flying near skyscrapers when they’re close to your home?” Little Strongheart asked.

“What, you don’t know how to go around them?” Rainbow challenged.

“Do you think we haven’t tried that?” Chief Thunderhooves bellowed. “Most of us can barely fit in the space between the trees.”

“I think I can understand where you’re coming from,” Twilight said. “I mean, I wouldn’t be too happy if someone did something with something that I didn’t give them permission to do, especially if they got hurt because of it. But, I see that you do understand that the settlers need the apple trees in order to survive. So, I think it would be better if we talked to them and worked out a solution that works best for everyone.”

“Yeah,” Pinkie smiled. “And then I can plan and throw a great big party to celebrate. A Pony Settlers and Buffalo Tribe Coming Together Party! Ooh, or maybe I should have it as a Buffalo Tribe and Pony Settlers Coming Together Party. Which do you guys like better?”

“We’re in no mood to negotiate with those settlers,” Chief Thunderhooves said. “The moment we suggested moving the trees, they pelted us with rotten apples.”

“There has to be some way to come to an understanding,” Twilight said.

“Can we figure it out in the morning?” Spike asked.

“Good idea, Spike,” Twilight said. “Some rest will help clear our heads a little bit.”


The next morning in Appleloosa, Applejack was waking Fluttershy and Rarity up.

“Up n’ at ‘em, gals,” Applejack said. “We got friends ta save!”

“Oh, dear,” Rarity gasped. “They’re not back yet.”

“We’ll find them,” Fluttershy said, gently rubbing the sleepies out of one of her eyes.

Rarity quickly magicked her saddlebag on. “Packed with food and water in case the trek takes a while and some emeralds in case Spike’s hungry once we find him.”

“Good call, Rare,” Applejack said. “Let’s get a move-on.”

“Ah’m goin’, too,” Braeburn said.

“We could always use the extra helping hooves,” Fluttershy said. “But, will things be okay in town?”

“No need ta fret,” Braeburn said. “Half the settler ponies’re on the town council.”

“That seems like too big of a council,” Rarity said.

“Either way,” Braeburn said. “Let’s find yer friends.”

The four ponies barely left the town’s borders when they saw Spike, Twilight, Pinkie, and Rainbow perfectly fine.

“Hi, guys,” Pinkie smiled.

The friends happily hugged each other.

“Thank goodness you’re safe,” Rarity said to Spike. “Do you need any emeralds?”

“Thanks anyway, Rarity,” Spike said. “I filled up on turquoise before we left.”

“Good ta know ya have a full belly, Spike,” Applejack smiled. She then focused her attention on the returning party. “Oh, before we continue, y’all, this here’s mah cousin, Braeburn.”

“Howdy-do,” Braeburn said. He then looked at Spike. “So yer that Spike feller mah cousin wrote ‘bout. Mighty pleased ta make yer acquaintance.”

“You mean you don’t have a problem with me being a dragon?” Spike asked.

“Shoot, ain’t no need ta fret, half-pint,” Braeburn said. “If’n Applejack says yer on the level, well, dadgumit, that’s good’nuff fer me.***********”

“Wow, thanks,” Spike smiled.

“It’s nice to meet you, too, Braeburn,” Twilight smiled before her smile lowered into a frown. “Now, we’ve come to understand that there’s a bit of a… conflict going on between the Appleloosa Settlers and the Buffalo Tribe.”

“And that the Appleloosans started it,” Rainbow said.

“Well, yes,” Fluttershy said. “We heard about this going on as well and I can agree with you on that, Rainbow.”

Applejack, however, had a different perspective. “Ah wouldn’t expect a lazy pegasus like y’all ta understand, Rainbow,” she said.

“Who are you calling lazy?” Rainbow snapped. “If Braeburn wasn’t your cousin, you would agree that this whole mess was the settler’s fault! You’re totally being biased towards your family! You’d side with them if they decided to jump off a cliff!”

“The settlers busted their rumps out here,” Applejack said. “Y’all mostly sleep the day away er put off yer job ta practice fer them show-off Wonderbolts!”

“Uh, cousin?” Braeburn said sheepishly, holding his hat up to his chest. “This whole situation really was our fault. We did throw rotten apple cores at the Buffalo tribe.”

“Because them Buffalo don’t know how hard ya worked on it!” Applejack said.

“There, see?!” Rainbow retorted. “You’re doing it again! You’re proving my point!”

“And we do know how hard you worked,” said a new voice (new to the ones who were in Appleloosa earlier anyway).

Little Strongheart revealed herself, which sent Applejack into a loud rant.

“Ya lowdown varmint!” Applejack said. “Bad enough ya nearly kill us, but, ya dragonnap Spike n’ try ta make settler ponies starve, too? Just stampede somewhere else!”

You plant the trees somewhere else!” Rainbow snapped.

“Where?!” Applejack challenged. “There ain’t any other plant land fer miles!”

“The Buffalo tribe had it first!” Rainbow huffed. “You have your family traditions, the Buffalo Tribe have theirs!”

“The settler ponies need it ta live!” Applejack shouted.

“ENOUGH!!!” Twilight yelled before briefly looking like she set her mane and tail on fire again. That instantly stopped the argument.

“Thank you, Twilight,” Fluttershy said, giving Twilight a canteen of water to cool her off.

Twilight drank from the canteen and began speaking calmly to Applejack and Rainbow. “Honestly, you two. This situation is bad enough already. You two helped defeat Nightmare Moon, yet, you’re acting like foals fighting over a cookie.”

“They started it,” Applejack said, pointing to Little Strongheart.

“You further prove my point,” Twilight said. “How can you be expected to represent Elements of Harmony if you waste time over petty arguments and adding to already precarious situations?************”

Applejack heard Twilight’s words and she realized she had a point. So, she took a deep breath. “Yer right, Twi. Powerful sorry. N’ Ah’m sorry to ya, too, li’l buffalo.”

“My name is Little Strongheart,” the buffalo said. “Daughter of Chief Thunderhooves.”

“Nice to meet you, Little Strongheart,” Twilight smiled.

"You met her last night," Spike pointed out.

"I was speaking on behalf of the others," Twilight said. “Now, both the Buffalo tribe and the Appleloosan settlers have perfectly good reasons to use the land. There must be something that can be done.” She then had an idea. “Braeburn, I think I have an idea. Can you rally the settlers so I can speak to the members of the town council?”

“Ya can count on me, Twi,” Braeburn said, smiling as he put his hat back on. “Ah won’t be long.”

With that, he set off to rally the settlers.


After the settlers were gathered, Twilight took up the stage.

“Okay,” she said. “Show of hooves, who’s on the town council?” Half the settlers raised a hoof. “Okay, first problem identified. Too many townsponies on the council.”

“We should arrange a meetin’ about that!” one council pony said. “N’ maybe we can talk ‘bout buildin’ the bowlin’ alley so ah can finally put mah bowlin’ alley attendant job ta use.”

“Now is not the time to discuss that!” Twilight said. She cleared her throat. “What we do need to discuss is how we can settle our differences between the Appleloosan Settlers and the Buffalo Tribe.”

The settlers began booing.

“Ah know it ain’t a topic we like ta discuss,” Braeburn said, trying to lighten the mood. “But, some friends o’ ours have been talkin’ ta the Buffalo n’ we ain’t exactly been kind ta them. So, ah think we should reconsider our treatment towards them, only in a more friendly-like way.”

“We busted our rumps out here!” one settler jeered. “We’re still bustin’ ‘em buildin’ the hospital!”

“If’n we talk ta the Buffalo,” Braeburn continued. “Maybe they can help us n’ we can help them.”

“If’n ah needed help learnin’ ta be a heartless varmint who didn’t give a hoot ‘bout back-breakin’ work,” another settler said. “Ah’d’ve stayed with mah ma!”

One could argue that that settler is being heartless right now by not giving the Buffalo a chance, Twilight thought to herself.

“That attitude right there’s addin’ ta the mess,” Braeburn pointed out. “Personally, ah’m tired o’ this back n’ forth with the buffalo. Face it, if we keep it up, ain’t nothin’ll be solved. Y’all really want ta spend the rest o’ yer lives stuck in an endless cycle o’ prejudice n’ stress?”

The townsponies heard Twilight and Braeburn’s words. For a while, none had said anything. They were giving this a deep thought. After a while, they came to understand their mistakes. Truthfully, a lot of them were equally tired of the squabbles with the buffalo.

“Ya know,” a voice from the crowd said. “These two ponies got a point. We should be more friendly-like.”

So, the settlers began to agree. Twilight and Braeburn smiled to themselves and each other.


With the Buffalo tribe, Little Strongheart and Spike were talking to the buffalo, basically giving them a similar rundown about being understanding. Chief Thunderhooves considered the words with deep thought.

“Perhaps we have been a tad too hasty on the settlers,” he said thoughtfully. “They were in need of a new place to live and flourish. So, we shall allow them to stay so they can at least have homes to go to. This young dragon speaks with wisdom greater than his age would suggest.”

Spike couldn’t help but blush modestly at Chief Thunderhooves’ words.


At noon, the buffalo were led calmly to Appleloosa. They were met with welcoming smiles from the Appleloosan settlers. Twilight’s friends, Spike, and Braeburn looked on happily as if peace had finally come. However, unforeseen circumstances would lead to bad consequences.

One Appleloosan was carrying a small crate on his back when he suddenly tripped and sent it flying on a collision course with a buffalo.

“Ouch!” the buffalo cried.

This angered the other buffalo.

“CHARGE!!!” Chief Thunderhooves bellowed.*************

The buffalo then began to stampede through the town. This frightened the Appleloosan settlers and they tried to avoid being flattened by the buffalo. Twilight, her friends, Spike, and Braeburn looked on worriedly.

“Maybe it’s too soon for me to wear this showmare costume,” Pinkie said.

“As fabulous as it is, Pinkie,” Rarity noted. “I’m afraid it is too late. Now, this land will succumb to ruin because of prejudice.”

Suddenly, Chief Thunderhooves was splattered in the face with an apple pie.

“Hmm~!” Chief Thunderhooves said, licking off the excess pie on his face. “Buffalo, stop!” At the sound of his command, the buffalo stopped charging. “I have a much better idea.”


Much later, a path for stampeding was made for the buffalo that allowed most of the trees to remain. In an area close by, some of the buffalo were treating injured and sick ponies with medicines that they made.

“This compromise is much better for all of us,” Chief Thunderhooves said kindly. “This path through the orchard will allow for us to run through while still retaining trees in good fertile soil.”

“Yeah,” Sheriff Silverstar said. “N’ yer tribe helpin’ us with yer medicines is mighty kind o’ ya. We got plenty o’ apple pies ta share with ya.”

“And we can put the uprooted trees to good use as building materials to help this community grow,” Chief Thunderhooves said.

The two leaders shook hooves in a friendly manner. Applejack then walked up to Little Strongheart.

“Hey, Little Strongheart?” Applejack said. “Ah’m powerful sorry ‘bout bein’ so biased with mah family n’ callin’ ya a varmint.”

“It’s alright,” Little Strongheart said warmly. “I know what it’s like to stick with the perspective of family, so, I understand. Thank you for apologizing.”

Twilight was pleased with the peaceful resolution. “Spike,” she said. “Take a note please.”

“You got it, Twilight,” Spike smiled after swallowing a mouthful of turquoise. He pulled out a scroll and quill from his loose scales. “Hit me with the message.”

Dear Princess Celestia,

Friendship is a wonderful and powerful thing. Even the worst of enemies can become friends. You need understanding and compromise. You’ve got to share, you’ve got to care, and like the path cut through the orchard, there will always be a way through.

Your faithful student,
Twilight Sparkle

Spike then sent the letter. “If you’ll excuse me, Pinkie needs me for the musical number she planned. Let’s hope those piano lessons she gave me paid off.”

“Okay,” Twilight smiled. “Break a leg.”


Spike, now wearing a black bowler hat, went over to the piano and took a deep breath. He started by playing a warm-up tune. Purple curtains opened on a stage and there was a large prop clamshell. It opens revealing Pinkie in her aforementioned purple and black showmare outfit. Her mane was even done up and a purple feather added a contrast of color. She then began her song.

We may be divided
But of you all, I beg
To remember we’re all hooved
At the end of each leg~

Just then, the tempo picked up.

No matter what the issue
Come from wherever you please
All that fighting got you nothing
But hoof in mouth disease

Arguing’s not the way
Hey, come out and play
It’s a shiny new day
So, what do you say?

You gotta share~
You gotta care~
It’s the right thing to do

You gotta share~
You gotta care~
And there’ll always be a way through~

Both our diets, I should mention
Are completely vegetarian
We all eat hay and oats
Why be at each others’ throats

You gotta share~
You gotta care~
It’s the right thing to do
And there’ll always be a way through~~~~~~~~!

The ponies and buffalo were at pause for a moment before applauding the song. Pinkie and Spike smiled and they took a bow.

Twilight and the others saw the performance from within the audience with Twilight being careful to stay hidden so as not to make Spike nervous.

“Pinkie’s taught Spike well,” Rarity said.

“She really did,” Fluttershy smiled. “Spike took her lessons to heart.”

Twilight felt a little guilty not nurturing Spike’s musical talents all that time. Fluttershy saw this and gave Twilight a comforting pat on the shoulder.

“Not that you wouldn’t have been a good teacher, Twilight,” Fluttershy said. “You can still see that he has the eagerness to learn and that’s something he picked up from you.”

“I haven’t been a teacher at all,” Twilight said. “I was too focused on my grades and saw his music talents as a meaningless distraction.” She looked sadly at the stage. “Hearing him play the piano so beautifully made me realize I was wrong.”

“Well,” Fluttershy said. “It’s never too late to be the teacher to his student. After all, you’ve taught him other things in his life, so, I don’t see how this is any different.”

“The problem is I don’t know how to play any musical instruments,” Twilight said. “How can I teach him when I’m less skilled in music than him?”

“Ya can encourage other ponies ta teach him,” Applejack said. “If’n he’s keen on learnin’. N’ it ain’t too late fer ya ta learn how ta play somethin’ if ya wanted ta. This whole venture taught us that we can do anythin’, even settle our differences.”

“You can count on us helping nurture his talent,” Rarity said.

“Yeah,” Rainbow smiled. “We all care about Spike as much as you do, Twilight, even if we haven’t known him as long as you did. Besides, we can’t let Pinkie be the only one giving him music lessons.”

Hearing her friends talk to her about helping Spike did make Twilight’s heart feel full and tears of joy welled in her eyes. They then shared a group hug. “Thank you, everypony.”

“Ooh!” Pinkie said after she came off the stage changing out of her showgirl outfit. “A group hug?! Can we get in on it?!” She then proceeded to hug Spike and her friends before they could give a response.

“That’s Pinkie for ya,” Applejack wheezed from the tightness of the hug.

End of chapter.

Author's Note:

Here's the next chapter.

*Idea courtesy of Rach.

**Idea by Comickook.

***Idea courtesy of me.

****Another Comickook idea.

*****Explanation for why the train was being pulled in the episode.

******Twilight being a good mother. Also, bonus points if you can correctly guess what this is a reference to.

*******Like, really? Why so many cars when there's only 7 passengers?

********First interaction between Spike and the buffalo courtesy of The Background Conquerer.

*********An excellent point.

**********Another excellent point.

***********Shows how well Braeburn knows his cousin.

************Truth bomb.

*************Little idea of mine.

Shoutouts to Comickook and The Background Conquerer for additional ideas.

If you liked this chapter, feel free to contact me via private messages if you'd like to help make future chapters.