• Published 1st Nov 2022
  • 5,655 Views, 1,244 Comments

My Little Pony: Nine Elements Book 1 - BlueBioWolf



My version of Friendship is Magic that has nine Elements of Harmony and Spike being treated with more respect.

  • ...
11
 1,244
 5,655

Chapter 19: A Dog and Pony Show (S1:E19)

My Little Pony: Nine Elements

Written by Brandon Nell and Blake Hawkins

Chapter 19: A Dog and Pony Show

It had been two days since the talent show. On that particular day, Rarity was putting gems on a garment she was making.

“There we go,” Rarity smiled. “Coming along just nicely, I would say.” She suddenly heard the bell at her door ring. “Ah, sounds like I’ve got a customer.” Rarity waltzed out of her workroom to greet the newcomer. “Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where our looks are chic, unique, and magnifique. How may I help you today?”

But, when the unicorn saw who her newest customer was, she gasped and nearly fainted right on the spot. Standing before her was an earth pony mare of medium build that sported a pale, light grayish gold coat. She had a light brilliant cobalt blue-colored mane and tail with light brilliant azure stripes to compliment it. Her eyes were a light brilliant amber that shone like gold. She had pale, light grayish blue violet eye shadow and wore a white dress with purple, blue, and yellow decorating various parts of it (said dress obscuring her Cutie Mark depicting a sapphired seashell below three stars in the process).

“Y-you’re Sapphire Shores~!” Rarity gasped with amazement. It was clear that she was a fan of Sapphire Shores’ music. “I-I can’t believe it! The Sapphire Shores in my boutique!”

The earth mare nodded in confirmation. “That’s me, alright,” she said. “Good afternoon, Miss Rarity. How are we today?”

Rarity almost squealed with delight from the excitement. “Y-you know my name?!” Rarity asked.

Sapphire Shores happily nodded. "Why of course I do, darling. I make it a point to know all of the up-and-coming designers and Clothes Horse magazine simply raved about you. Besides, anypony who could get Hoity Toity to feature their works in his boutiques has to be worth checking out."

Rarity couldn’t help but feel gleeful with Sapphire’s compliments, but, she cleared her throat and regained her composure. “So, how may I help you today, Miss Shores?”

“Please,” the earth mare said. “Call me Sapphire.”

Rarity squeaked to herself eagerly, but, she regained her composure again. “Well… Sapphire, how may I help you today?”

The pop star quickly explained to Rarity. "I guess you haven't heard yet, then again, it was just recently announced: I'm going to be touring all of Equestria to promote my newest album. The concerts are going by the name of: Sapphire Shores' Ziegfilly Follies, so, that means I need to look absolutely sensational!"

“If you’re looking to be sensational,” Rarity said. “Perhaps my newest creation can help you with that.” She then used her magic to reveal said creation. "Behold: The pièce de résistance de la haute couture! I haven't even given it a proper name yet. But, I used every last gem I had on me to complete it."

To say Sapphire was impressed would be a gross understatement. “Why, Miss Rarity~! This is absolutely perfect! I’ll take it!”

“Really?!” Rarity said in hopeful excitement.

“Why, yes~” Sapphire smiled. “And five more, please, each done up in a different jewel.”

Rarity blinked nervously, unsure if she heard correctly. “Beg pardon?”

“It’ll be for the costume changes, of course,” Sapphire explained. “I apologize if that sounds like a lot of work, but, I can tell that you’re a capable seamstress. My tour is going to be starting at some point this week, but, I’m putting my faith in you, Miss Rarity.”

"But... but..." Rarity stuttered and feeling light headed she suddenly fainted right on the spot.

“Oh, dear!” Sapphire gasped. “I think it was too much trouble for her.” She then noticed an empty open chest labeled “gem storage,” as Rarity came to.

“I’ll have to go on a gem hunt,” the unicorn said. “Are there any particular gems you’re looking for in your ensembles?”

“Tell you what,” the earth mare offered. “At least one has to have sapphires. You can pick the rest. Surprise me.”

“You can count on me, Sapphire,” Rarity smiled. “Well, myself and a dear friend of mine.”

“Oh?” Sapphire asked curiously. “Who’s this friend?”

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” Rarity said, deciding not to mention the friend she had in mind. “I’ll go get him. I’ll try to have your order done before long.”

“Thank you very much, Rarity,” Sapphire smiled. “We’ll meet up another time and discuss the payment.”


At the Golden Oak Library, Spike and Twilight are playing a game of Go Fish with both down to one card each.

“Do you have any twos?” Spike asked.

“Go Fish,” Twilight said. Spike drew a card, which wasn’t what he was looking for. “Any queens?”

Spike sighed reluctantly and gave her the card he drew. “You win…” he said.

“It was a good game, Spike,” Twilight said comfortingly. “Want to play a different game?”

Before Spike could answer, there was a knock at the door. “I’ll get it.” He got up and went to answer the door. To his surprise, it was Rarity. “Rarity? What brings you here?”

“I need to speak to Twilight,” Rarity said.

“Oh, sure,” Spike said as he stepped aside. “Please, come in.”

Rarity stepped into the library. “Twilight, are you here?”

“Yes, I’m here,” Twilight said. “This is a surprise. What’s up?”

“Are either of you familiar with Sapphire Shores?” Rarity asked.

“Sapphire Shores?!” Spike gasped excitedly.

“The Pony of Pop?!” Twilight gasped excitedly as well.

“The very same,” Rarity confirmed. “She was in my boutique earlier and commissioned me to make five dresses like the one I finished this morning.”

“Wow,” Twilight said. “That is exciting! And with her upcoming tour through all of Equestria, all sorts of ponies can see your work!”

“Yes, well, unfortunately, I have a slight problem,” Rarity said.

“What’s that?” Twilight asked.

“The dresses are all to be encrusted in gems,” Rarity explained. “And I used up the last of the ones I had making the one from this morning.”

“Ah, I see,” Twilight said. She then had a thought. “Did you come to ask me permission to take Spike gem-collecting with you for the other ensembles?”

“If it’s alright with you,” Rarity said. “Rest assured, I have every intention of compensating him for his work.”

“Well,” Twilight said. “We didn’t really have many plans today since we were just playing some games before you came here. So, I don’t have any objections if you took Spike with you. What do you think, Spike?”

Spike was about to answer when his stomach growled. “Well,” he said in embarrassment. “I did run out of gems to eat this morning.”

“It seems I had perfect timing, then,” Rarity said.

“Alright,” Twilight smiled. “Make sure to have Spike back home before sunset please.”

“Of course,” Rarity said. “This shouldn’t take more than an hour or two.”

“Thank you,” Twilight smiled. “Have fun, you two. And be safe.”


Spike got his wagon and Rarity led him to a field out of town. They were soon at a rocky part of the field close to a mountain range. They weren’t high enough up the mountain for Spike to feel cold. Rarity’s horn was alight. Spike recalled that that was how Rarity finds gems.

“It must be a real honor to be commissioned by Sapphire Shores,” Spike said. “She’s part of the reason sapphires are my second favorite gem.”

“I admit it did feel exciting to see her enter my boutique,” Rarity smiled. “But, I’m mostly glad that you and I are spending time together here.”

“Same,” Spike said. “Have I mentioned that when Twilight and I first came to Ponyville, I was intimidated by you?”

“I do recall you mentioning that,” Rarity said. “Care to explain why?”

“Well,” Spike said. “I was afraid you’d be just like those elitists in Canterlot who looked down on me just because I’m a dragon.”

“You certainly don’t have to worry about that with me,” Rarity said. “Just because you’re a dragon, it doesn’t mean you don’t have feelings as I or any pony does. I was born and raised in Ponyville and while I like things on the fancier side, that certainly doesn’t make me any better than anyone else. Personally, from your description, I find those ponies of such predilections repulsive.” Rarity meant that, but, a part of her suspected they were exaggerations. Though, she wisely decided to keep her suspicions to herself.

Spike smiled at this. “Thanks, Rarity,” he said. “I needed to hear that.”

“I’ll mark areas for you to dig, Spike,” Rarity said.

“Sounds good,” Spike nodded. Rarity marked an x in the dirt with her hoof. Spike saw the x and he dug at that spot. He found assorted gems inside. His mouth started watering. “Wow~ they look like they would be so good~!” He scooped up the gems and sniffed them individually. Rarity had seen him doing that on previous gem hunts, but, never understood why.

“Spike,” Rarity asked. “I’m curious, what do you do that for?”

“Do what?” Spike asked innocently.

“You're sniffing the gems individually,” Rarity clarified. “I was wondering why you do that.”

“Oh,” Spike said. “Well, I’m sniffing them to see if they’re magically active. None of these are.”

Rarity assumed that magically active gems had a better taste to him and decided to leave it at that. “Thank you for telling me,” Rarity smiled. “Now, just put them in the wagon. We’ll need more for the dresses.

“You got it,” Spike smiled. He put the gems in the wagon. Rarity’s horn lit up again.

So the two friends continued to look for various gems. Unbeknownst to them, however, was that some creatures were watching them work.

Soon, they’d amassed a veritable pile of gems that Spike drooled over.

“Thank you so much for your help, Spike,” Rarity smiled as she patted his head. “These are certain to add some sparkle to Sapphire Shores’ costume changes.” Spike’s stomach growled again. “Well, you’ve been very patient, Spike. For that, you get the finest reward.”

“What’s that?” Spike asked eagerly. Rarity levitated a blue gem from the pile.

“I know it’s not an emerald,” Rarity said. “But, it is the biggest sapphire we collected. I hope you appreciate it.”

Spike’s eyes seemed to sparkle with amazement. It was truly a gem unlike any he had seen before. He felt touched that Rarity was giving it to him. Just as he was about to taste it, he suddenly stopped himself. Rarity noticed this.

“Is something the matter, Spike?” she asked. “You seemed rather hungry moments ago.”

“I don’t know why,” Spike said. “But, for some reason, I don’t feel that hungry right now. It feels like I just ate a jewel salad.”

“Ah, alright, if you’re certain,” Rarity said. “Well, we’ll have to get you back to Twilight. We still have plenty of time before sunset, but, I can’t let her worry about you.” Suddenly, her horn lit up again. “Oh!”

“More?” Spike said.

“There must be, Spike,” Rarity said. “We do have a choice here. Should we either find this patch of gems or should we leave it and get you home?”

“Well,” Spike said. “How about we find the patch so you’ll have extra? Like you said, we have plenty of time.”

“Alright,” Rarity said. “Follow me, please.”

Spike obediently followed with the wagon in tow. As they walked towards this patch, the ones who had been observing them were still keeping close yet creepy vigil on them.

“All those gems,” one voice said.

“Precious gems indeed,” a second voice said. “And that little dragon is one of the gem hunters.”

“The unicorn finds them,” a third voice said. “And the dragon digs them up. We should take both.”

The three chuckled wickedly to themselves.


Spike added the new gems to the pile.

“Well done, Spike,” Rarity smiled. “Now that that’s sorted out, I’ll see you home.” She turned around and saw something shining in the tree. “Hmm? That’s peculiar. Somepony must have left a Hearth’s Warming decoration in that tree.” She went to investigate.

But, it wasn’t a Hearth’s Warming decoration. In fact, what had glimmered was actually a gem hanging on the collar of a canine-like creature. He jumped down from the tree and landed on his hind legs before her. He was a gray-furred creature with piercing green eyes and a red vest. This was one of the creatures that was spying on Rarity and Spike. Rarity was startled. While she was afraid, she did her best to be somewhat polite to the creature.

“Erm,” Rarity stammered. “H-hello there, mister… canine… I am Rarity and this is my friend Spike.”

Spike waved nervously. “Hi?”

“And,” Rarity continued, nervousness still present in her voice. “Who might you be?”

“Name’s Rover,” the creature said. “I’m a Diamond Dog.”

“A-ah~” Rarity said. “That would explain your taste in jewelry. I-I see you’re out hunting for gems like Spike and I were?”

“Yes,” Rover said. “We hunt.”

“‘We?’” Spike asked reluctantly.

His grin growing wider by the second, Rover explained. "Other Diamond Dogs, you'll meet them very soon. For although we hunt for gems, you are a better hunter. So now we hunt... for you!"

Rarity could see where this was going. “Spike, run!” She exclaimed.

Before Spike had a chance to react, he was tackled by another Diamond Dog. This one wore a gray jacket.

“Gotcha!” said the second Diamond Dog.

“Excellent, Fido!” Rover said. “Now, that little runt won’t be a problem!”

“You leave him alone, you ruffian!” Rarity said.

“It is useless to resist~” Rover said intimidatingly. “If you just cooperate, we won’t have to get violent. Show him, Fido!” Fido held Spike by the neck and the little dragon struggled to free himself. “We’ve heard that a dragon’s weak spot is its soft underbelly.” He punctuated the last three words by poking Spike’s stomach. “Want to find out, Fido?”

“Yes, Rover~” Fido sneered deviously as he unsheathed his claws. “These claws can leave marks in solid stone. Let’s see if dragon scales are any different.”

“No, please!” Rarity called. She then sighed heavily and said. “I will comply only if you spare my friend.”

“Alright, Fido,” Rover said. “Muzzle the runt!”

Fido nodded and muzzled Spike with rope. “Another prisoner,” he gloated.

“Spot!” called Rover. “Show our new gem hunters inside!” A smaller Diamond Dog began forcing Rarity forward. Rarity was scared, but, to insure Spike’s safety, she had to keep her word and allowed Spot to show her the way. She looked at Spike and saw he was scared, too.

I can only hope we can find a way out of this unscathed, Rarity thought to herself. Twilight will be so cross at me if Spike isn’t home as I promised he would be. She and Spike were put in a cell.

“Oh, Spike,” Rarity said gloomily. “I am so sorry. If I had known that we would be captured by the Diamond Dogs, I would have never put you in this situation.” Spike made a muffled reply. “I’m sorry, what did you say?” She used her magic to unmuzzle his mouth.

“How will we get out of this, Rarity?” Spike asked.

“I’m afraid I don’t know,” Rarity said sadly. “Hopefully we can figure something out without you getting hurt by the Diamond Dogs. Though, if I had to make a guess, I’d say ‘by the skin of our teeth, dear.’”

“I didn’t know pony teeth had skin,” Spike said.

“Spike,” Rarity responded. “While that was adorable, this is neither the time nor the place to make a cute quip.”

“Sorry,” Spike said. “I was trying to be like Pinkie and lighten the situation.”

“I appreciate that,” Rarity said. She then held onto Spike warmly. “I promise that I’ll get you out of here.”


Back in Ponyville, Twilight was growing increasingly worried. Two hours had passed since Rarity took Spike gem-collecting and they still weren’t back. She was pacing the floor nervously.

“They should have been back by now,” Twilight said to herself. “Something must not be right.” A knock at the door stirred her from her anxiety. “Oh! Coming!”

She opened the door to see Fluttershy. “Hello, Twilight,” she said. “Is it alright if I invite Spike over for tea?”

Hearing Fluttershy say Spike’s name was enough to fill Twilight’s eyes with tears. “I wish I could, Fluttershy, but, Spike isn’t home right now!”

“Is something wrong, Twilight?” the pegasus asked after noticing the tears.

“Rarity had invited Spike to go gem collecting with her hours ago,” Twilight said, trying to dry her eyes. “But, they haven’t come back yet.”

“Oh, my…” Fluttershy said. “I hope they’re okay.”

“So do I, Fluttershy,” Twilight sniffled. She then gained a look of determination. “We’ll have to see for ourselves if they are. Let’s gather up our friends. Rarity and Spike might need our help!”


Back with Spike and Rarity, the unicorn was using her spell to find gems with Spot holding a claw to Spike’s stomach for leverage.

“There are pockets of gemstones here, here, and here,” Rarity explained. She used a stick to draw x’s where the pockets of gemstones are. Spot let Spike go to dig at the x’s. “How long exactly are we going to keep this up?”

“Until we find all the gems!” Rover said.

“So somewhere between not very long,” Spike said, figuring the size of the caverns and caves. “And forever?”

Spot grabbed Spike by the neck. “Who said you could talk, runt?”

“Let him go, please,” Rarity said firmly. “And he is not a runt. His name is Spike.”

“Get back to finding gems!” Rover demanded.

“Only,” Rarity said. “If you give me your word that you will not harm my friend.” She flared up her horn to show she meant business. This caught the Diamond Dogs by surprise. They never expected this sophisticated looking mare to have such a fire in her eyes. So, in order to have their greedy horde filled, they had no choice but to give her their word. “And you’re not to muzzle him,” Rarity asserted.

“Y-yes-” Rover stammered. “Er, no, er. We shall not muzzle him.”

Spike had the rope removed. “Thank you,” Spike said. He then went over to Rarity. “This is a scary situation,” he whispered to her.

“Yes, I know,” Rarity whispered back. “Just stay calm and don’t try to escalate things.”

Spike nodded quietly to her. “I’m guessing my sword is out of the question?” he whispered.

“Absolutely,” Rarity whispered back. “The situation is precarious enough as it is.”

“That’s fair,” Spike whispered. “So, if one or both of us comes up with a plan, we’ll work through it together.”

Spot and Fido pulled out a rusty harness chained to a cart.

“The jewels will be put in here,” Rover said. “The pony will pull the wagon.”

Rarity wasn’t pleased with that arrangement. “I beg your pardon?!”

“Just do what they say, Rarity,” Spike whispered. “We’re in enough trouble already.”

Rarity knew that Spike was right, though, she still didn’t like the idea. “Alright, I’ll do it,” she said at last. “But, I won’t like it.”

The harness was secured tightly to her. She winced and shivered from the cold metal against her body.

“Just go with it,” Spike whispered. “Complaining or whining won’t help our situation.”

Rarity nodded. She took a deep breath, albeit with a slight cough from the disgust of the stench around her and she began to travel slowly while looking for more gems.


After filling a cart, she and Spike were put in another cell.

“Very good,” Fido said with a devious grin. “You are the best gem hunters that we have ever known.” He closed the cell door. “Our buyers will pay handsomely.”

“Buyers?” Rarity asked. “You mean you aren’t keeping these gems for yourselves?”

“What do you think we’d do with them?” Rover said. “Eat them? We’re not dragons.”

“So, if you’re not going to use them,” Spike asked. “Then who is?”

“That’s on a need to know basis,” Rover said. “And you don’t need to know.”

He then left Spike and Rarity alone. The two sighed sadly. Suddenly, a patch of ground started to turn up behind them. “What’s happening, Rarity?” Spike asked.

“I don’t know~!” Rarity answered nervously. “Though I have a feeling it means we’re getting uninvited company.”

From the ground emerged this Diamond Dog:

*

“Follow me,” the newcomer said.

“Who are you?” Rarity whispered to the stranger.

“That’s not important right now,” the creature said. “Rover will be back soon.”

Rarity and Spike still felt uneasy, but, given the alternative, they decided to follow this newcomer. He seemed more trustworthy than the other Diamond Dogs. They followed him into the tunnel he dug and saw his body in full. The Diamond Dog covered the hole with stones.

“Thank you,” Spike said softly to the Diamond Dog.

“The name’s Bluu,” the Diamond Dog said.

“Thank you, Bluu,” Spike said. “I’m Spike and this is Rarity.”

“I know Rover told you that the gems are for buyers,” Bluu said.

“That’s true,” Rarity said.

“Well,” Bluu said. “That’s one of his tactics for keeping slaves around.”

“So, he was lying?” Spike asked.

“Yep,” Bluu said. “He’s motivated by greed and he rallied like-minded Diamond Dogs. I may be a Diamond Dog, but, I’m not greedy like them.”

“So far,” Rarity said. “We can already tell that you’re not like them. You did help us after all, and we’re very grateful.”

“I have a zero tolerance policy for slave-drivers,” Bluu said. “Especially Rover. He makes slaves and sells them off.”

“That’s terrible,” Spike said.

“That’s why,” Bluu said. “If you see a list of Rover’s enemies, you’ll find my name at the top of the list.”

“I can understand why,” Rarity said.

“This way,” Bluu said.


Meanwhile, Rover came to the cell Rarity and Spike were put in.

“Alright, you two,” he began to say. “Back to-” Before he could finish his sentence, he saw that the cell was empty. “Bluu!” He pounded the ground, sending out tremors.


Underground, Bluu placed a hand against the wall.

“If you don’t mind me asking,” Spike asked. “What are you doing?”

“Rover’s sending a tremorgram,” Bluu said.

Spike and Rarity didn’t understand.

“A tremorgram?” Rarity asked.

“What’s that?” Spike asked.

“We Diamond Dogs are earth elemental creatures,” Bluu explained. “We can sense tremors in the ground most wouldn’t notice. We use this to send messages to each other.”**

“I don’t think I like the idea of what that message is going to translate as,” Rarity said.

“It says, ‘Bluu broke the pony and dragon out,’” Bluu said.

“That must mean,” Spike ventured to guess. “That he’s sending that message to other Diamond Dogs.”

“Then, we don’t have a lot of time,” Bluu said.

So, Bluu picked up the pace a bit, with Rarity and Spike following suit. The two were still uncertain exactly where they were going, but, any place would be better than where the Diamond Dogs had them work. They didn’t want to lose track of Bluu. However, they soon found Rover and his pack breaking through the tunnel roof.

“Look out!” Rarity exclaimed.

Bluu got into a defensive stance.

“I won’t allow you to use these two for your selfish gain!” Bluu growled.

“You’ve interfered one time too many, Bluu!” Rover growled back. “We’ll make sure you never interfere again!”

Bluu grit his teeth and his blue fur turned red and longer and his eyes turned green. An 8-pointed star materialized on his forehead. His hand paws began to glow and pulse with energy. Rarity and Spike saw Bluu’s transformation, captivated by the sight before them.

“Quick, boys!” Rover said. “Trounce him before he fires!”

Fido and Spot prepared to trounce onto Bluu. Bluu was faster, though, firing energy beams at the ground, creating a makeshift smokescreen of earth. Rarity and Spike held onto their muzzles to keep themselves from breathing in the dust. Bluu carried both to safety before the dust settled.

“Are you two alright?” Bluu asked as he reverted to normal.

“We’re fine,” Spike said. “But, what was that thing you did?”

“It’s just something that happens when I channel my anger,” Bluu explained. “I’m sorry if it was a bit unnerving.”

“Can all Diamond Dogs do that?” Rarity asked.

“No,” Bluu answered. “I gained that power from forced labor in an energy gem mine.”

“Oh, my,” Rarity gasped.

“It doesn’t last long,” Bluu explained. “So, I mainly rely on hit and run tactics with it.”

“I see,” Spike said. “Well, the situation you went through to get these powers wasn’t ideal, but, they certainly are beneficial.”

“Now, care to explain what you were doing here in the first place?” Bluu asked.

“Well,” Rarity explained. “Spike and I were out gem collecting. I’m a seamstress in Ponyville and I sometimes use gems in my couture. Since Spike eats gems, I invited him to join me. I was even prepared to let him eat any excess gems as payment for his help.”

Bluu stroked his chin as he listened to Rarity’s words.

“Believe me,” Spike said. “We never expected to meet any Diamond Dogs.”

“I think I might have a solution to your problem,” Bluu said.

“What’s that?” Rarity asked.

“I live in a gem cave not too far from here,” Bluu said. “You can help yourselves.”

“Thank you, Bluu,” Rarity smiled. “Is there anything we can do to repay you?”

“You don’t have to,” Bluu said. “We Diamond Dogs are at home surrounded by gems, but, I have more than I know what to do with.”

“Well, we’re still grateful,” Spike said. “Maybe we can try to come back and if you need our help, we’ll help you.”

Bluu’s ears pricked up. Rarity noticed this.

“What is it?” she asked.

“Rover’s coming,” Bluu said. This caused Rarity and Spike to have alerted looks on their faces.

“What can we do?” Spike asked.

“Follow me,” Bluu said. “I know these tunnels like the back of my paws!”

Bluu ran down the tunnels with Rarity and Spike following behind him. They soon reached a cave full of assorted gems.

“This must be your cave,” Rarity panted, catching her breath. Bluu nodded before moving a round boulder in the way they came in.

“That was too close,” Spike sighed. “Though, what good will that rock do?”

“On the other side is a rune that causes whoever makes contact with it to instantly forget whatever they were doing,***” Bluu explained.

“I see,” Spike smiled. “That’s really clever.”

“It’s how Rover’s pack hasn’t been able to find my cave this long,” Bluu said.

“Ingenious,” Rarity smiled. Then, something occurred to her. “How do you keep the rune from affecting yourself when moving the boulder?”

“I have special magic-proof talismans to protect me from it,” Bluu explained.

“Ah, I see,” Rarity said. “And because we haven’t seen the rune, let alone touched it, we weren’t affected either.” She then looked at all the gems. “Why, this should be more than enough to make six times the dresses Sapphire Shores commissioned!”

“This will fill in my gem pantry for a good long while,” Spike said, his eyes a glow with amazement. Then, something occurred to him. “I don’t think one cart will be enough to move all these.”

“Hold on,” Bluu said. “I still need some to feel at home. I can part with six cartfuls.”

“I understand,” Rarity said compassionately. “Still, thank you for everything.”

“Wait,” Spike said. “Where do we get six carts?”

“Rover’s pack has all the carts,” Bluu said.

“That’s going to be a challenge retrieving them,” Rarity said.

Spike reached into his loose scales and pulled out his sword, which made Bluu reel back.

“I know you said not to use this earlier, Rarity,” Spike said. “But, desperate times do call for desperate measures.”

“That’s a river serpent scale!” Bluu exclaimed.

“Yes,” Rarity said, sensing the nervousness in Bluu’s voice. “Is something the matter?”

“Diamond Dogs and river serpents are natural rivals,” Bluu said. “We’re earth elementals while they’re water elementals. But, river serpent scales can cut through rock, which relates to our element.****”

“Oh, dear,” Rarity gasped.

“Wait,” Spike said. “Does that mean Rover’s pack will have the same reaction to this sword?”

“It’s likely,” Bluu said. “They’re not very bright.”

“Oh, Spike,” Rarity said. “If I had allowed you to use your sword earlier, none of this would be happening.”

“Well, better late than never,” Spike shrugged.

“Now,” Rarity said. “To figure out a safe plan with this.”

“I have a plan,” Bluu said.

“Let’s hear it,” Spike said.

“Hold your sword out,” Bluu said. “You don’t have to attack with it, just make sure the other Diamond Dogs can see it.”

“Got it,” Spike smiled.


Bluu moved the boulder and barked, getting the attention of Rover’s pack.

“There he is!” Rover growled.

“I’m warning you,” Spike said as he held his sword out. “I have a sword made from a river serpent scale!”

At the mention of the last three words, Rover’s pack yelped with shock.

“A river serpent scale?!” Rover cried. “Fido, why didn’t you check to see if he had it?!”

“You didn’t tell me to,” Fido argued.

“Now,” Spike said. “You’re going to back off from us.”

“And give us six of your carts,” Rarity added.

“After that,” Bluu growled. “You must leave these two and myself alone.”

Spike held his sword out.

“If there are any objections to that,” Spike said. “I will use this.”

“Do what they say, boys,” Rover said.

Fido and Spot nodded and they hastened to grab six carts.


Meanwhile, Twilight and her other friends were following the wagon tracks Spike’s wagon left in the ground.

“This is where they typically go,” Twilight said aloud. “Stay close, girls, and keep your eyes open for anything unusual.”

To their surprise, they found Rarity and Spike unharmed. Twilight gasped with a mix of surprise and glee.

“Spike!” Twilight exclaimed. “Rarity! What happened and where have you two been?”

Bluu carried a few gems to one of the six carts.

“Let’s just say in brief,” Rarity said. “That we encountered some unique creatures on our gem-collecting quest.”

“That one’s Bluu,” Spike said.

“We can see that,” Rainbow said. “What’s his name?”

“Bluu is his name, Rainbow,” Spike clarified.

“It’s spelt B-L-U-U, by the way,” Bluu said.

“Oh,” Rainbow said. “Sorry about the confusion.”

“Are you,” Fluttershy asked. “A Diamond Dog?”

“Yes, I am,” Bluu responded. “And you’re a Critter Whisperer, right?”

“You can tell?” Fluttershy asked.

“I am, too,” Bluu said. “It’s part of being an earth elemental.”

“This is incredible,” Fluttershy said with a touch of excitement.

“Could you all be dears and help me transport these gems?” Rarity asked.

“Ya can count on us, Sugarcube,” Applejack smiled.

On the way back, Twilight struck up a conversation.

“If you don’t mind me asking,” she said. “How did you and Spike end up in that situation anyway?”

“We were minding our own business when three Diamond Dogs ambushed us,” Rarity said. “They threatened to cut Spike’s stomach open if I didn’t comply.”

Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow, Fluttershy, and Pinkie all gasped in shock.

“Well, let me at those dirty–” Rainbow started.

“Calm down, Rainbow,” Rarity said. “I managed to keep them in line.”

“Wow, Rarity,” Pinkie said. “You’re really clever.”

“We couldn’t’ve done it without Bluu,” Spike said.

“Spike,” Twilight said. “This adventure that you two went on with Bluu sounds like it would make a good letter to write to Princess Celestia. Do you two feel like you’ve learned something out of this?”

“Just because somepony’s ladylike doesn’t make her weak,” Spike said.

“It should also be worth noting to be grateful for those who help you through a scary situation,” Rarity said. She then had a nervous expression. “Will this experience affect my prospects for taking Spike on future gem hunts?”

“Well,” Twilight said. “I’ll admit that it wasn’t very responsible to keep Spike out longer than promised.” Rarity sighed sadly. “But,” Twilight continued. “What was responsible was promising that Spike would be returned unharmed and following through with it.”

“I would never let anything happen to Spike,” Rarity said.

“Ta Rarity’s credit,” Applejack said. “It ain’t like she was expectin’ them Diamond Dogs ta be out n’ about.”

“True,” Twilight said. “Taking these factors into consideration, I’ll give you another chance, Rarity.”

“Oh, thank you, Twilight,” Rarity smiled. “Truthfully, I’ve been using these gem hunts as a means of bonding with Spike over our mutual appreciation for gems.”

“That makes sense,” Twilight smiled. “And I’m glad you’re not just using him to get gems without getting dirty.”

“Spike never seems to eat the diamonds we collect,” Rarity said, quick to change the subject.

“That’s because I broke my teeth trying once,” Spike said. “All I could taste was blood.”

The ones who weren’t familiar with the story prior to this moment winced at this. That meant Rainbow, Pinkie, Applejack, and Rarity.

“Good thing the princess fixed that,” Twilight said.

“Yeah, it is,” Applejack smiled.

“Wait a minute,” Spike said. “We left my wagon behind!*****”

“Ah can go back n’ grab it right quick,” Applejack offered.

“Thanks, Applejack,” Spike said.

She unfastened herself from the cart she was hauling and went to grab Spike’s wagon. She returned with it and pulled it as well as the cart she was hauling.

“Are you sure it’s not too much trouble to haul both the cart and Spike’s wagon?” Fluttershy asked.

“We earth ponies’re known fer bein’ strong,” Applejack said. “‘Specially us in the Apple Family.”

“Alright,” Fluttershy smiled.

“Since these carts have more than I needed,” Rarity said. “Spike can have the ones in his wagon. Consider it compensation for what transpired.”

“Thanks, Rarity,” Spike smiled. He then looked at the gem she gave directly to him with fondness. I’m never going to eat this one, though, Spike thought to himself. It’s too precious to me.

End of chapter.

Author's Note:

Here's the next chapter.

*OC courtesy of

AstralFlare42

.

**Little lore expansion there.

***Fairly Odd Parents reference FTW.

****More of my own lore ideas.

*****I don't think that was ever addressed in the series.

I'd like to thank AstralFlare42 for permission to use his OC and Comickook for the story ideas.

If you liked this chapter, feel free to contact me via private messages if you'd like to help make future chapters.