• Published 12th Nov 2022
  • 2,847 Views, 355 Comments

A Dark Knight Over Canterlot - Battwell



Darkness personified. Vengeance incarnate. How does one who embodies such ideals work with those who embody Harmony and Friendship?

  • ...
5
 355
 2,847

Closing Curtains

Canterlot City

"And if you're just tuning in, the reported explosion in downtown Canterlot was due to an escape attempt made by the villain only known as 'The Joker' after an attempt on driving the citizens of our great city insane. The Joker was reportedly inside the helicopter when it exploded, but his body has not been found at this time."

As the news report reciting the events that played out with The Joker played on the television inside the hospital room, the Rainbooms gathered around Fluttershy's hospital bed, refusing to leave her side no matter the circumstances.

Fluttershy, despite the circumstances, smiled happily at the sight of all her friends gathered around her. Sure her arm was in a sling due to her injury, and sure it hurt like nothing before, but she was still grateful to have such great friends gathered around her wishing her nothing but the best.

"Hey, Fluttershy." The voice of Rainbow Dash cut her off from her thoughts. She turned to face her oldest friend so she could listen to what she has to say, "I-I'm sorry."

That caught her off guard, "W-Why are you sorry? You have nothing to apologize for."

RD shook her head in denial, "No, that's not true. I wasn't fast enough to catch that bullet, now you're in the hospital because I was too slow. Batman was right, I'm not cut out for being a hero."

"Maybe not." Fluttershy spoke suddenly, making Rainbow feel worse. That is until she added, "But you're definitely cut out for being my best friend."

Rainbow had small tears in her eyes before she wiped them away with the back of her hand.

Twilight cleared her throat, getting everyone's attention, "I would also like to apologize. They way I've been acting lately, especially towards you Twilight, was unacceptable. I hope you can all forgive me."

Applejack and the other girls smiled before said farm girl wrapped her arm around her Equestrian friend's shoulder, "Aw, don't worry about it, sugarcube. Ya'll were clearly going through somethin', Ah'm just glad that ya got through it."

"We all are." Sunset added.

Spike, who had been curled up on the foot of Fluttershy's bed, walked up to Twilight's hand and nuzzled it affectionately. The princess giggled before moving her hand to the top of Spike's head and rubbing it, causing the pup to wag his tail happily.

Rarity let out a breath, "Well darlings, I think I can safely say that this has been a long night."

"Yeah, I mean, we did stop two psycho's in one night. It's bound to take a lot out of us." Rainbow added, boasting about their accomplishments.

Sci-Twi giggled before adjusting her glasses, "Well we did have help."

"I wish I got to throw him a 'Thank You for Saving Our Home and Stopping Two Crazy Meanies' Party. But we all know how that would turn out." Pinkie said, a little bummed out that Batman wouldn't attend one of her parties.

Sunset placed a comforting hand on the party girl's shoulder, "I'm sure he knows how grateful we are for his help already Pinkie."

A sudden knock at the door caught everyone's attention. They all turned to see The Dazzlings standing there looking nervous as all hell. In each of their hands were a set of presents, wrapped neatly in Christmas wrapping paper.

All was silent in the hospital room before Sonata waved nervously, "H-Hey."

"Hi..." The Rainbooms responded together.

Adagio rubbed the back of her head, "Listen, we just came by to say t-t-thank you for saving us from The Joker. As a token of our appreciation, we all pitched in and got you all Christmas presents."

Aria nodded in agreement before looking away, she wasn't any good at this emotional stuff.

"Look, we know that this isn't enough to make up for everything that we did. But we hope that it's a start, if you'll have us of course." Sonata spoke in a tone sad yet hopeful.

Sunset looked back at her friends, each of them looking at one another before turning to her and nodding in confirmation. Sunset turned to The Dazzlings and gestured for them to come in, "Come on in, it's Christmas after all. It may not be the ideal setting, but we can make it work."

The Dazzlings' faces all lit up almost instantaneously as they all walked in, placing their presents on the table full of 'Get Well' cards.

As Adagio and her siblings walked over to join the Rainbooms, Sunset noticed a shadow zoom up past their hospital window.

Specifically a Bat shaped shadow.

She smirked before making her way towards the door.

"Where're you going, Sunset?" Twilight asked, causing her to turn around and smile at the group.

"To see off a new friend."


Once the door to the hospital roof opened up, Sunset was hit with a chilling breeze that shook her to the core. She wrapped her arms around herself before moving towards the edge of the roof where Batman was waiting for her. She walked up and stood beside The Dark Knight as the snow started to pick up.

"How's your friend?" Batman asked, breaking the moment of silence between them.

"Doctors say that she's going to be fine." Sunset responds before sighing, she was waiting for the lecture to start. Waiting to hear how stupid it was to go after Joker alone.

But it never came.

Confused, Sunset looked up at Batman with an arched eyebrow, "Aren't you going to lecture me on how stupid I was?"

Batman didn't look at her, he just stared forward, his cape flapping with the wind. "What would be the point? I know you'd do it again in a heartbeat. When it comes to your friends you'd do anything for them, even risk your own life."

"Yeah I would."

"Now you know why you got your second chance. Why you're worthy of it. Don't squander it, Shimmer, there won't be another chance."

Sunset giggled, "Yeah, cause I wouldn't want you to come after me, right?" She said in a tone that indicated that she was joking.

Batman didn't respond.

Unnerved, Sunset shied away from the dark protector slightly.

"Soooo," Sunset started, hoping to move on from the awkwardness from before, "What happened to Riddler and Harley?"

"They're on their way back to Arkham Asylum as we speak."

Now it was time for the big question on everyone's minds, "...And The Joker?"

"They never found his body."

"Okay that's not creepy at all." Sunset blurted out.

"Sir, there's been an incident back in Gotham. Two-Face is currently robbing Gotham National Bank. Batgirl and Robin are headed there now, but you might want to be there for back up." Alfred said over the Comms as the Batwing uncloaked, revealing that it was hovering over the hospital.

Batman then took out his Grappling Hook and aimed it at the Batwing, "Duty calls." He said to the girl, but just as he was about to fire, Sunset caught his attention once more.

"Hey Bruce," Batman looked at the girl, who offered him a smile, "Take care of yourself, and thanks for everything."

Batman nodded before replying, "Stay out of trouble, Shimmer." He then fired his Grappling Gun and zipped up into the Batwing. Once inside, the aircraft took off into the night and soared into the clouds.

Sunset smirked and waved at the retreating vehicle before turning around and walking back inside to join her friends.


The Batwing soared through the skies. Canterlot was now safe, now it was time to return home. To Gotham. To his city. The criminals of Gotham had better be prepared, he was coming home. They had reason to fear, after all...

He is vengeance.

He is the night!

HE IS BATMAN!

THE END!