• Published 12th Nov 2022
  • 2,847 Views, 355 Comments

A Dark Knight Over Canterlot - Battwell



Darkness personified. Vengeance incarnate. How does one who embodies such ideals work with those who embody Harmony and Friendship?

  • ...
5
 355
 2,847

The Last Laugh

Canterlot City

"Are ya sure that they're here, sugarcube?" Applejack whispered to Pinkie Pie, wanting to keep it quiet as to not alert any possible guards to their presence. The movie set was quiet, like it had been abandoned ever since they finished filming Daring Do. "'Cause we don't have a lot of time."

Pinkie, who was uncharacteristically quiet, looked to her friend and gave her a small smile, "Trust me, Jackie. This is the place, I mean, it makes the most sense." Pinkie responded as she and the rest of the girls snuck past an old temple set.

But all of a sudden, Princess Twilight let out a small cry of pain before collapsing to her knees. Alarmed, the rest of the Rainbooms rushed over as the Alicorn Princess grasped her head in pain. Sunset knelt down and held Twilight's shoulders as tears fell down her face.

"What's happening to her?!" Rainbow asked in alarm, clearly worried for the wellbeing of her friend.

Sunset looked away from Twilight and stared at the rest of her friends with worry all over her features, "Her Equestrian magic. Since she doesn't have a pendant like the rest of us, Twilight's built up magic is protecting her from The Dazzlings' voices." She surmised before looking back to Twilight, who was starting to calm down, "It must be wearing off. If we don't put a stop to this, Twilight will be driven mad."

Princess Twilight was hyperventilating, her head was pounding like it was about to explode. She heard faint laughter in her head. Horrid, sinister laughter. It terrified her to the core, she didn't want this. All she wanted was to hang out with her friends for the weekend, now she was being driven insane.

When Sci-Twi saw the look of despair on her counterparts face, she knelt down next to Sunset and gave the Princess of Friendship a stern look. "Twilight, you have to fight it." She said sternly.

"I-I can't!" Twilight cried in response. The laughter was getting louder.

"Yes you can, I know you can! If you're anything like me you know that we used to be afraid, scared to even let anyone get close to us. But ever since we made friends we have grown, you have grown. We've both done some things that we had never thought possible! With the friendships we've made, the bonds we've forged, there's nothing that we can't overcome. But I'm just a human, you Twilight, are the Princess of Friendship! Show the world what it means by beating this thing!"

Sci-Twi's encouraging words seemed to really connect with Twilight, seeing as the Princess' breathing was beginning to slow down.

"In and out, just like Cadance taught you." Twilight thought to herself as the laughter inside her head began to recede, allowing her to collect her thoughts once more. She opened her eyes to see the smiling faces of Sunset, Sci-Twi, and the other members of the Rainbooms. Twilight collected herself before looking at her counterpart with a kind and gentle smile, "Thank you, Twilight."

Sci-Twi nodded before standing up and offering her a helping hand. It was at this moment that the Princess of Friendship had finally realized that her counterpart hadn't been out to replace her. She just so happened to make friends with the same group she had made friends with.

She had really misjudged her. Twilight smiled and took Sci-Twi's hand, accepting this new blossoming friendship. Once the Princess was back on her feet, Sunset suddenly heard the unmistakable sound of Joker's laughter echoing from the room next to them.

"Wait, do you guys hear that?" Sunset whispered before elaborating, "That's the sound of laughter."

It was then that Pinkie became dead serious, glaring at the wall before her, "That's not laughter." She said in a scarily serious tone. Everyone turned to the pink girl with surprised looks on their faces, never in all of their lives had they ever heard Pinkie talk in that tone of voice.

It was eerie.

Rarity cleared her throat, gaining everyone's attention, "Well darlings, this is it. A-Anyone have any rousing speeches in their repertoire?"

Everyone looked at one another with fear evident on their faces. Heck, even Rainbow Dash was terrified to go in there. Nobody was up to say anything, how could they? They were about to go up against the most dangerous foe they have ever faced. It was pretty clear why they were so afraid.

When no one said anything, Sunset sighed before placing her hand on the door knob and twisting it open. The door creaked open, but the music drowned out the noise. Looking through the door, Sunset gasped involuntarily as she gazed at the sight of Batman being beaten senseless by Joker.

The girls all gasped before turning their gaze to The Dazzlings, who were swaying their hips and singing their tune of insanity. While Rainbow and Applejack glared hatefully at the trio of Sirens, Sunset and Twilight looked on in concern as they noticed the tears spilling down Sonata's face.

Even Adagio and Aria looked petrified, afraid to make one wrong move.

"They look terrified," Sunset noted in her head as she continued to stare at the Sirens. "What if they don't want to do this? Maybe their being forced to." With that thought in mind, she turned around to her friends and declared, "We have to help The Dazzlings."

"WHAT?!" Both AJ and Rainbow shouted simultaneously while the others looked skeptical.

"Why would we ever help them?!" Rainbow shrieked as she got right in Sunset's face, "They're working with The Joker of all people!!!"

While Rainbow looked like she was about to explode in a fit of anger, Sunset maintained a cool and steady look as she pointed a finger to The Dazzlings, "Look at them Rainbow and tell me that they're here of their own free will."

Rainbow did exactly that and looked at the three siblings, when she did, her face softened as did AJ's when they saw the state that Adagio and her siblings were in. It was hard to argue with the facts, they looked scared, something that they had never even thought of when The Dazzlings were brought up.

They both sighed and turned back to Sunset, "What's the plan, sugarcube?" Applejack asked her Equestrian friend, on board with what Shimmer had planned.

Sunset smiled, "Here's the plan."


"You wanna know what the best part about this is, Bats?" Joker asked his fallen adversary before kicking him in the ribs, "You try to struggle and resist the insanity, when the fact is that you are already crazy. Why else would you dress up like a flying rat, going around Gotham beating up crooks for fun? Face it Batman, you're just like me."

"Yeah right!" A sudden shout caught Joker's attention before he was suddenly shoulder charged at super speed by Rainbow Dash. Joker was sent sprawling to the floor as the rest of the Equestria Girls rushed over to join their prismatic friend. Joker rubbed his jaw before standing back up on his feet, chuckling as he tugged on his jacket.

"It's over, Joker!" Sunset declared.

Joker barked a laugh in response to the declaration, "Not quite, Equestria Girl! I don't know how you all aren't crazy yet, but hey I'm flexible." He replied as he tugged on the collar of his jacket.

As Joker laughed at the girls standing before him, Princess Twilight took a step forward, showing that she wasn't afraid of him. "You may think you'll win this day. You may think that fear and terror is the most powerful thing in the world. But know that you cannot win, because you lack the most powerful magic of all! The Magic of Frie---"

"Oh shut up!" Joker shouted as he cut Twilight off, ruining her friendship speech, "Is she like this all the time? Here I thought that you couldn't get any lamer!" He then reached into his jacket pocket, "But if you think that the 'Magic of Friendship' is going to save you from going insane, then allow me to bring you into the real world!" He then made a move to pull the remote from out of his jacket... only to find that it wasn't there.

When Joker dug deeper into his pocket, Rainbow cleared her throat with a smug look on her face, "Looking for this?" Joker looked up from his pocket and saw that Rainbow had the remote in her hand. She must of snagged it off of him when she shoulder charged him. She then dropped the remote to the floor and smashed it to pieces with her foot.

For Adagio and her sisters, it suddenly felt like they could breathe again as the collars unlocked themselves from their necks and clattered onto the floor. They looked at one another before Sonata tackled them all into a giant group hug. As Aria struggled to break free from the bear hug, Adagio looked over to Sunset, who gave her a kind smile, which confused the heck out of the Siren.

Sunset then looked down at Batman, who was slowly getting back up to his feet.

Sunset then looked back at The Joker, and instantly regretted it.

The Clown Prince of Crime did not look happy.

"Now that's. Not. Funny." He growled before he smiled, "But this is." Joker added before he pulled out his gun and aimed it at the girls.

BANG!

The bullet flew through the air, headed right towards the girls. Rainbow quickly moved into super speed to try and catch the bullet. She was so close to catching the bullet, it was right there.

But it slipped right through her fingers.

And hit Fluttershy in the shoulder.

The kind and sweet girl cried out in agony as the bullet tore through her shoulder and fell to the floor. The sheer impact of the bullet sent Fluttershy falling to the floor, blood oozing out of her now wounded shoulder.

"FLUTTERSHY!!!"

All of the girls screamed in unison before rushing down to their friend, who was now openly sobbing due to the bullet wound in her shoulder. Batman looked on in shock before gritting his teeth in pure, unyielding rage.

"FLUTTERSHY, IT'S GOING TO BE OKAY!" Twilight reassured her wounded friend, failing at hiding the panic she was in.

"I-I-It h-h-hurts..." Fluttershy sobbed weakly, grasping her wound tightly with her hand.

"Well I'd like to stay and celebrate your victory, but I've got stockings to stuff, mistletoe to hang... and about fifteen skyscrapers to blow up before sunrise. Ciao!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" The mad man laughed before running through the doors with a weak Harley Quinn following behind him.

Batman grit his teeth before mustering the strength to get back up and chase after The Joker, but stopped when he saw the girls gathering around Fluttershy. With a look of sympathy on his face, Batman walked over to the group and looked down at Fluttershy, "I'm sorry."

Applejack shook her head, "N-Not yer' fault." She reassured through her tears, "Not at all."

Rainbow couldn't move, she couldn't speak, all she could do was sit there next to her best friend and hold her close. "I wasn't fast enough." She thought to herself darkly as she continued to cradle Fluttershy.

It was then that Pinkie spoke up, her cheeks wet from the tears she had shed, "Hey, where's Sunny?"

It was then that everyone noticed that Sunset Shimmer was gone. She was nowhere in sight. As everyone looked around, Batman's eyes widened in realization before returning to his stoic glare, "That idiot!" He then sprinted out of the room, "Call an ambulance, I'll go get her!"


"Go Harley, go go go!" Joker shouted as the helicopter began to ascend into the air. Harley was currently in the pilots seat steering the helicopter. Sure she had no experience but how hard could it be?

As the chopper began to fly away from the movie set, Joker suddenly heard something Thud behind him. He turned around and was met with a fist to the face from Sunset Shimmer. Joker stumbled back before he hit the back wall of the chopper.

Joker wiped some blood from his mouth as Sunset slowly marched forward towards him with a look of vengeance on her face. "That was for Fluttershy!" She shouted before rushing forward.

Joker laughed as he pulled out his pistol and fired. Sunset quickly ducked before he shot and punched the clown in the gut. He gripped onto his knife, which slid down from under his sleeve and slashed at the girl, but she back trotted away from the blade. Joker slashed again, to which Sunset kept dodging before he swung once more, giving her a chance to grab his arm and punch him in the face again.

Joker stumbled back, growling before Sunset charged forward and tackled him to the floor.

Meanwhile Harley was having trouble steering the chopper, she was struggling to avoid the various buildings in her flight path, somehow managing to avoid crashing into most of them. But her luck ran out as the tail of the chopper smashed against the windows on a building she was flying past, damaging the back propeller.

The chopper experienced major turbulence, causing Joker and Sunset to roll multiple times. But Sunset still had a grip around The Joker's throat, and it looked like she wasn't letting go whatsoever.

Joker simply smiled before nodding his head towards Harley, "Y'know she's going to kill us right?"

As the chopper swayed from side to side, smoke coming from the back of the chopper, Joker and Sunset continued their fight. Sunset was kicked across the chopper by Joker, who quickly overpowered her with ease. Sunset collided with the wall of the aircraft as Joker got back up and started walking over to her.

"For someone who's not Batman," Joker started as he pulled out another knife from his jacket, "You've been a real pain in my ass. Hahahahahahaha!"

As Joker loomed over Sunset, Harley noticed from her peripheral vision that a certain Bat like aircraft had suddenly appeared next to the helicopter.

"Oh crap." She muttered to herself.

The glass above the cockpit slid open, allowing Batman to stand up and aim his Grappling Hook at the helicopter. He fired and it grappled onto the side of the chopper, allowing him to zip up to the open door on the side of the chopper.

Joker giggled as he stood over Sunset, completely unaware that Batman was right behind him. When Sunset smirked, Joker turned around and was punched directly in the nose by the Dark Knight. The impact sent Joker spinning around in circles before he collided with Harley's seat.

The impact accidentally shoved Harley forward, causing her to tilt the steering mechanism to far left, turning the helicopter right into a building. The rotors on top of the chopper smashed the glass windows, damaging the rotors themselves. The console beeped loudly as the chopper spun around through the air.

"Uh oh. Heh!" Joker muttered before laughing at their current predicament.

Batman, thinking quickly, kicked Joker in the chest which sent him to the back of the chopper, allowing him to grab both Sunset and Harley as the chopper fell through the sky. The two girls wrapped their arms around the Caped Crusader as he jumped out of the chopper, gliding down and crashing into the lower windows as the chopper crashed through the windows just a floor above them.


Sunset groaned as her sight returned to her. She appeared to be in an office of some kind, it was hard to tell since the lights were off. The Equestrian slowly got up to her knees and looked to her left to see that Harley had been knocked unconscious from the impact.

Shaking her head, she got back up to her feet and saw that Batman was doing the same.

Though she couldn't see it, she knew that Batman was giving her the most serious of Bat Glares right now.

As Batman straightened himself, Sunset slowly approached the hero, "B-Bruce..."

"We'll talk about this later." Was the reply she got.


(Play from 1:10)

Joker groaned as consciousness returned to him, his head was pounding from the sheer beating he had received. He took note of how close the chopper was to falling from the newly made hole in the side of the building. He looked around fearfully as a sudden shift in the weight of the chopper shook the ground he was standing on.

Joker saw the smashed window in the front of the chopper and made a break for it.

Big mistake.

The sudden movement caused the chopper to lean back, sending Joker crashing down into the back wall of the chopper. After he shook his head, he saw that the chopper was leaning back.

It was about to fall. There was nothing he could do. Joker sighed before he smiled. He bared his teeth as he began to laugh.

The chopper fell off the side of the building with Joker's laugh echoing throughout the night.


Batman and Sunset both heard the sound of Joker's laughter rush past the window behind them. They both ran to the window and saw the chopper falling down to the ground.

With Joker still inside.


Joker continued to laugh, even in the face of death. He crossed his legs and folded his arms, still laughing.

The ground was itching closer. He was still laughing.

The silhouettes of Batman and Sunset were moving further away. He was still laughing.

He continued to laugh until...

BOOM!!!

The helicopter smashed onto the ground and blew up in a blaze of fiery glory. There was nothing left, all that there was were the remains of the chopper and dancing flames. Not even The Joker could've survived that.

Or could he?


Sunset stared down at the blazing inferno down on the street below with horrified eyes. The helicopter blew up with The Joker still inside. There was no way that he survived that. The Equestrian turned her head as Batman began walking away from the window.

"B-Batman?" She asked hesitantly.

Batman didn't stop walking, he simply said, "He'll be back." That statement confused Sunset, he just blew up, how could he be back. It was then that the Dark Knight stopped and turned around to face the confused girl, "He's survived worse."

And with that, he picked up the unconscious Harley Quinn and walked out of the room, leaving Sunset to ponder what Batman had said. Could he have survived that? She shook her head, no way, he was in the dead center of that explosion. The Joker was dead and gone.

Right?