• Published 14th Sep 2022
  • 1,277 Views, 86 Comments

Equestria Wolves: The Pack is Family, The Pack is Life - Lord Shadow Eclipse



Twilight Sparkle and her friends are sent to a new world as a wolf pack. How will they adjust to their new forms and instincts?

  • ...
0
 86
 1,277

Chapter 9: Playtime and Meeting Sombra

With Twilight's Pack - Their Territory

Twilight was pacing back and forth around the den thinking about what she was told at the Lunar Assembly. A mate. She would have to have a mate to actually be able to lead her pack. Twilight researched wolves before she became one, so she knew that wolf packs were led by a mating pair, but she hadn't considered that it would happen to her.

And to make things even weirder for Twilight, the male that was proposed for her was named Sombra. That name held too much weight for Twilight to be okay with. She tried to shake any bad thoughts out of her head.

"Come on, Twilight! Just because he has the same name as the tyrant in Equestria, it doesn't mean that he's the same guy," Twilight said to herself. "Maybe he'll be nice."

As Twilight thought about it more, a new set of thoughts entered her head. And these thoughts were somehow even more bizarre than the first ones.

"What if... what if I actually grow to like him?" Twilight asked herself.

Ever since she ascended the throne, she hadn't really had time for dating or finding a lover. Sure, she had her fair share of crushes, but she hadn't really been able to actually get with anyone. And this time, a suitor was being delivered to her. It was a lot to take in. Twilight continued to pace until Starlight and Trixie came loping out of the den.

"Twilight, are you okay?" Starlight asked. "You've been pacing for about an hour."

"Yeah, and we're bored!" Trixie said. "Can you play with us?"

Ever since Starlight and Trixie were changed into wolf pups, the pair had been acting more and more like children. They had seemingly endless energy and wanted to play a lot. Right now though, the pack was hunting for food and Twilight stayed behind to look after them.

"Maybe playing with them will take my mind off things," Twilight thought.

"Sure, let's go play," Twilight replied.

The wolves trotted over to a few hundred feet away from their den and Twilight initiated play with a play bow, with her upper body lowered and her tail wagging in the air. Starlight and Trixie did the same bow and began to play. Twilight took off in one direction and the pups took off after her. Play like this would be good for them, for it would help them learn how to hunt.

"This is so fun! You can't get away from us!" Trixie called aloud.

"This deer isn't getting away from us!" Starlight said to Trixie.

"Heh-heh. So that's how it is," Twilight said to herself.

Twilight continued running until she came across a drop into a creek. She turned around and Starlight and Trixie finally caught up to her. The clumps of fuzz ran up to Twilight and began jumping along her neck and sides, giving her small nips.

Twilight responded by pawing at the pups and shoving them to the ground, before jaw-wrestling with Starlight while Trixie was nudging Twilight with her nose. Starlight was laughing while Twilight was tickling her chest with her nose.

"Stoooop! That tickles!" Starlight cried while laughing.

"No deer's gonna stop the great and powerful hunter Trixie!" Trixie declared.

Trixie went to go for Twilight's neck and managed to grab a mouthful of neck when Twilight turned and wrestled Trixie to the ground. Trixie and Twilight were now jaw-wrestling while Starlight was trying to jump onto Twilight's back. Twilight eventually pushed Starlight back onto the ground and began to wrestle with the two pups.

Starlight got away from Twilight and tried to nip her tail. Twilight tried to stop Starlight, but Trixie managed to trip one of Twilight's legs, sending her falling to the ground. Now the pups began to nip at Twilight's neck and stomach, making the downed alpha laugh.

"Stop! Please! I'm gonna pee!" Twilight said.

Thankfully for her, Starlight and Trixie stopped and backed away panting. Twilight got back up and started their trek back to the den. From the panting sounds she heard behind her, it seemed that Starlight and Trixie were tired out from playing. Those two would more than likely take a nap after this.

"I could use a nap myself," Twilight thought to herself.

As the two walked back to the den, a strange scent caught Twilight's nose. It wasn't Lora's or Bandit's, but a new wolf entirely waiting at the den. Twilight started to run the rest of the way back to the den to see just who is at her pack's den. She and the pups hightailed it back and Twilight was surprised at the wolf she saw.

This wolf had lighter black fur than those from the Shadowhide Pack, with raven-black fur on his cheeks that looked similar to sideburns and luscious fur on the back of his neck. He looked to Twilight with an indiscernible look and gave a bow of his head.

"Alpha Twilight of the Greenpaw Pack, I presume?" he asked with a smooth deep voice.

"I am Twilight," Twilight replied. "May I ask who you are?"

"I am Sombra, son of Alpha Bane of the Shadowhide Pack," Sombra replied. "I hope the two of us will get along."

*****

Shadowhide Territory - Alpha Bane's Den, 1 Day Ago

The territory of the Shadowhide Pack was a large cluster of pine trees and shrubs spanning for miles. The wolves of this pack were known for their warrior mentality and their physical strength. Their secretive nature and aggression made them some of the most feared and respected wolves apart from the Silverhide Pack.

Alpha Bane was widely known for his strength and penchant for encouraging his wolves to fight each other. His own children were told to fight often to become the true heirs of the pack, and they were all formidable fighters and hunters in their own right. Well, except for one.

The eldest of Bane's children, Sombra, wasn't like his siblings or his pack. As a prematurely-born pup, he wasn't able to build up muscle as easily as his younger siblings. His father and siblings never said it aloud, but Sombra knew he was hated by them. The only one who showed him any love and kindness was his mother, Shade.

Sombra was walking through his family's den site when he saw his first brother Morpheus looming over a beaten beta wolf with a smirk on his face. Morpheus was one of the toughest wolves in the pack apart from their father. Sombra tried to walk past him, but Morpheus noticed him.

"Hey, Sombra! What have you been doing? Sitting on a rock trying to train again?" Morpheus asked mockingly.

Sombra knew how to handle his siblings. "No, I was simply overhearing our brother Garm saying that your face looked like a cougar's poop."

"What?!" Morpheus shouted in anger. "Where is that goose-head now?!"

"I think I saw him heading to the southern border," Sombra said.

Morpheus took off to go fight Garm. Sombra started laughing once his dimwitted younger brother was gone. Sombra wasn't the strongest, but he was comparably the smartest. In order to avoid getting hurt by his siblings, Sombra focused on being crafty and cunning. It was due to his mind that he survived his pack for as long as he had. Once Sombra was done laughing, he was walking back to the den when he saw his father standing there.

"Oh, Sombra! I was just about to send a raven to look for you," Bane said.

"That's funny. You never want to see me," Sombra said. "You hardly ever even acknowledge my existence."

"Well, this is an important matter to discuss with you. It's about your future," Bane said.

"Okay... now I'm curious. What exactly do you have in mind?"

"There's a new pack that's appeared in our kingdom. One that only has a female alpha."

Sombra already knew where this was going. "Let me guess, you want to marry me off to this pack's alpha so that you wouldn't have to deal with my mere presence in the pack."

"Son, this pack needs a strong leader. And you simply don't have the strength to properly lead this pack. At least in this way, you'll still be part of a pack."

"By marrying me off to a strange she-wolf and be a part of a pack of wolves I don't even know and may not even like?"

"If that's how you want to look at it, then yes. A raven will lead you to their territory, so do your duty as a wolf and do something for the pack for once. This pack survives off strength!"

Sombra knew that he couldn't win an argument with a wolf as stubborn as his father. So, he simply conceded. As he walked away, he turned back to his father.

"Father, before I go, allow me to give you some wisdom I picked up: without brains to back it up, strength by itself is worthless," Sombra said. "You and my younger siblings taught me that."

Bane said nothing and went back to his usual habit of ignoring him whenever he tried to impart wisdom to him. Sombra hated it when his father was like that. Sombra clicked his tongue in disapproval.

"See you someday, father," Sombra said.

The elder Shadowhide son walked a ways from the den when one of the pack's ravens met him at the border. This raven was one of the few in their territory that was actually kind to him.

"Hello, Lord Sombra! Are you ready?" the raven asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be," Sombra said. "I don't have a future with this pack, so maybe this one will actually be interesting."

Sombra and the raven took off beyond their territory to meet Sombra's future mate.