• Published 2nd Aug 2022
  • 1,305 Views, 109 Comments

Bound Elemental - Kendallonian



The journal of a fire elemental who has been ripped from their home and relocated to ponyville, equestria.

  • ...
5
 109
 1,305

Entry 13: The Pink One Returns

Today Twilight thought it was a good idea to have another small outing into the rest of my floor, which I am grateful for. While interacting with visitors can stave off the omnipresent boredom, Nothing is a real substitute for getting yourself moving around. My legs have been getting a bit twitchy lately.

Of course, my run around the castle was soon interrupted by a pink thing dropping from the ceiling and shouting “HAPPY TEN-PAPER DAY!”

I’m not exactly used to this form yet; the weight of the metal around me carries a lot of momentum that I simply didn’t have to worry about as a formless torch. So, when I tried to stop, instead of the immediate reaction I was expecting, I slid the remaining few feet and practically tackled the pink thing, rolling with her a few times before landing on top.

Twilight soon caught up with me, a panicked look on her face. “Ohmygosh! Pinkie! Are you okay?”

It took me a moment to realize that the pony who had visited me on my second day was underneath me. Once I did, I quickly retracted myself onto my haunches. Had I already burned her beyond repair? Would Twilight never trust me outside my cell again?

Pinkie just smiled. “No worries! I brought my oven mitts!” Her hooves extended to show me the oversized, padded mittens on their ends. I also noticed that she was wearing a baker’s apron, and I could see a couple of crescent-shaped black marks where I’d burned it with my hooves.

Twilight screwed up her snout. “Pinkie… that should not have worked.”

“Of course it worked, silly! That’s what oven mitts are for!” Pinkie replied, still smiling. Then she leapt up and said “SURPRISE! Are you surprised, Emerald?”

“Uh… Yes.” I said warily. “What am I surprised about?”

“A surprise party to celebrate the Ten-paper day you had yesterday!” Pinkie said.

“Surprise… party? What’s…” I didn’t even finish asking before Pinkie’s eyes grew wider than I was aware was physically possible. “What is this?” I finally said as I looked her up and down.

“You mean… this is your first surprise party?!” It looked like she couldn’t decide between the conflicting emotions of absolute horror and unprecedented joy; her face was rapidly switching between the two, but she finally settled on a grin too big for her entire face.

I looked to Twilight for an explanation, but she seemed to suddenly be very deep in thought, like something potentially very important had just occurred to her. She was looking at me in… pity? I didn’t like it; I’d enjoyed my life up to this moment just fine, thank you very much.

“Stop looking at me like that and tell me what a party is.” I said. I certainly hope my foul mood was properly communicated in those words. Pinkie, soon afterward, grabbed my shoulders with her oven mitts and pulled me in close so that my face was millimeters from hers.

“A party is the Most. Fun. Ever.” Pinkie said as she tried to drill the seriousness of this event into my soul with her eyes. Then her smile returned. “You play games and have snacks and you get to have a BUNCH OF FUN with your friends!”

“I.. don’t have any friends.” I said cautiously. Pinkie didn’t stop smiling, however. She did retract her face from mine and casually blew out a small candle-like flame that had started on the end of her mane.

“That’s okay!” Pinkie said. “I’ll be your friend today! And maybe next time we can invite Fluttershy, and Sweetie belle and Apple Bloom and Scootaloo and Twilight- oh, no that’s silly. She’s already here!” Pinkie giggled briefly, followed quickly by her reaching into her mane and pulling out a pinecone.

It wasn’t just a pinecone, of course. She’d taken one of her small, colorful candles and stuck it in the top. It wasn’t lit, though.

I tilted my head at the thing she’d made. “What is… that?”

“It’s a party snack! I usually make cupcakes but I didn’t know your favorite flavor and then I remembered you said you like pinecones-”

“Wait, Pinkie-” Twilight interrupted “-You’ve been reading Emerald’s journals?”

“Of course, Twilight! How else am I supposed to study up to make her the BEST. PARTY. EVER!?” Pinkie replied.

I wasn’t quite sure how I felt about that.

“Okay, but... What’s with the candle? And wasn’t it lit last time?” I asked.

“Well, normally it’s tradition to blow out the candles, but you didn’t want to do that last time, so I figured what if instead, you blow the candle in instead of out?

“What?”

“Light the candle, silly!” Pinkie said as she put an oven mitt around my back and used the other to hold the pinecone in front of me.

After a moment of indecision, I blew a short stream of flame at the candle and lit the wick. Pinkie applauded me through her oven mitts, then pulled up one of my hooves so she could deposit the pinecone into it.

“Enjoy!” she said. I looked at the thing in my hoof and thought, well, why not? I opened my mouth and threw the thing in, swallowing it whole.

It’s been a long time since I’ve had a decent, crackly pinecone. I’m actually not even sure my original memory of burning pinecones is mine, really, or some other ancient elemental who I may have traded memories with a while ago, but either way the popping feeling of bursting pockets of water and air was familiar. What wasn’t so familiar was a warm feeling that slid it’s way down my throat simultaneously.

I shivered and stared into the middle distance. “Whoah… what was that… warm, gooey feeling?”

“Probably the candle melting.” Twilight suggested. “I’m not sure you were supposed to eat that part.”

I nodded slowly. That made sense. Just one more question, then.

“Can I do it again?”

“I am an accidental GENIUS.” Pinkie declared.

Author's Note:

Maybe I should have continued writing about the rest of Pinkie's party, But I couldn't help wanting to end on that line from Pinkie. That, and I somehow stopped on exactly a thousand words. I figured it was fate.