• Published 2nd Aug 2022
  • 1,305 Views, 109 Comments

Bound Elemental - Kendallonian



The journal of a fire elemental who has been ripped from their home and relocated to ponyville, equestria.

  • ...
5
 109
 1,305

Entry 12: Miniature Professional Help

Twilight sent my last entry to Princess Celestia. Apparently Spike’s fire is enchanted to be a direct ‘port to the empty space right above the Princess’s head. I asked if I could get something like that, But Twilight says she doesn’t quite trust me to not send the princess oodles of steamy fanfiction as a prank.

Not that I blame her, ‘cuz I totally would. Don’t try to tell me the princess wouldn’t get a kick out of it, either.

Twilight brought me some more visitors today. This time they were considerably more miniature; three fillies by the names of Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Apple Bloom. Twilight said that they usually worked with ponies who could get Cutie Marks, but if anyone could help me to find a purpose in life, it was them. After all, that was apparently their purpose in life.

The first thing that struck me when they came in at Twilight’s invitation was how young they looked. Granted, I’m not much of a judge of age, but these kids were like, a quarter of Twilight’s volume each.

No, I’m not calling Twilight fat, those fillies are just that small.

The initial look of surprise on the fillies’ faces as they entered was the same, but they each evolved independently into unique expressions. Sweetie Belle, a short white unicorn with a curly mane, seemed slightly worried, like I was gonna torch her for looking at me wrong. Apple Bloom, a pale yellow earth pony, seemed curious, and immediately started looking me up and down as if she was trying to figure out how I worked. Scootaloo was last in line through the door; an orange pegasus with stubby little wings that couldn’t have been useful for much. After her initial shock died down, a grin started spreading on her face, and it didn’t stop until I thought it was going to tear her face clean in half.

“That’s so COOOOOOOL!” she shreiked.

I looked around the room, and, seeing that there were no other interesting objects around, pointed a tentative hoof at myself. “Really? Well, I’m flattered, but I’d appreciate it if you used a different word to describe me; that one just feels vaguely insulting.”

Scootaloo wrinkled her snout for a second before saying “Ohhhh,,, I get it. ‘Cuz you’re all… burny.”

By this time Apple Bloom was plastered against the forcefield wall, squinting at me like it might let her see more detail.

“How’s yer snout move like that? I don’t see any hinges!”

I shrugged. “I dunno. Does it matter?”

Sweetie, meanwhile, was looking warily at the ends of my appendages.

“Would it hurt if I touched you?” She asked.

“Hurt me? No. Hurt you? Yes.” I replied.

It was Apple Bloom’s turn again.

“So yer lookin’ fer your cutie mark?” she said.

“Uh- not as such, no. I don’t think I can… can I?” I looked to Twilight.for confirmation.

Twilight gave a big shrug. “I mean, I assume not, but… it’s not like there’s precedent.”

I wasn’t sure how deep down that rabbit hole I wanted to go. After a moment of mortified thought, I said;

“Let’s assume for now that we’re just looking for something I can do really well without getting a lot of ponies mad at me.”

“Oh… okay!” Apple Bloom said. She almost sounded disappointed, but that feeling quickly passed.

“Well, what do you do well?” Scootaloo asked.

“I light fires.” I said.

The following silence was deafening.

“Huh, uh… well…” Apple Bloom uttered. She, along with the other two crusaders, seemed deep in unpleasant thoughts.

“How do you feel about barbeques?” Scootaloo ventured.

“Does that involve burning things to a crisp?” I asked. Scootaloo cringed, visibly.

“Prefferably not.” Scootaloo said. For some reason, she was looking at Sweetie Belle when she said it, who started blushing furiously.

“Oh. then probably not.” I said.

“Well, fire can’t hurt you, right?” Apple Bloom asked

“Well, no. Why?”
“You could be a fire-pony!” Apple Bloom announced.

“Uh, I dunno if you’ve noticed, but I am a fire pony.”

“I believe she means a pony whose job it is to put out fires, rescue foals from burning buildings, things like that.” Twilight cut in.

“Oh!” I said. “Oh.” I said again, horrified. “Uh, I’m afraid not. Call it, Uh… conflict of interest.”

It was Twilight’s turn to cringe. “Yeeeah… maybe we should steer clear of that issue for now.”

Sweetie Belle’s turn came; her hoof was raised to her chin, and she was deep in thought.

“Well, do you have any other skills?” she asked. “You might be good at drawing, or painting…”

“Lemme stop you right there.” I said. “Burning hooves.”

Sweetie abruptly stomped her hoof back onto the floor. “Dang it!”

I think I actually smiled, then. We were getting nowhere with this, but at least they were trying their best; that’s all I could ask.

“Well, I think I’m fresh out of ideas. You girls?” I said.

“Yup.” Scootaloo said, defeated.

“Well don’t you worry, miz Flare!” Apple Bloom said. “We’ll keep on thinking and we’ll get back to you as soon as we think of somethin’. Cutie Mark Crusader’s honor!”

“Yeah!” Sweetie agreed. “We won’t stop until you find your Cutie Mark! Er- I mean… something you’re good at!”

“Yeah!” Scootaloo continued. “Cutie Mark Crusaders Elemental Helpers, Awaaaay!”

The three fillies ran around each other in a circle briefly before exiting the room, presumably to get back to their clubhouse and start scheming. I couldn’t help but chuckle.

“They’re adorable.” I told Twilight once I was sure they were out of earshot.

“They are.” Twilight said. “And their older sisters are very proud of what they’ve accomplished.”

“I’m sure they are.” I said. “I just hoped we’d have made more progress today.”

“Oh, I think we’ve made plenty of progress today.” Twilight said, smiling. A yawn suddenly escaped her lips. “Oh, goodness, it’s getting late. Maybe I need to turn in. I’ll just be taking these with me.”

Twilight pulled a collection of parchment papers from the corner of my room. I blinked in shock.

There were ten of them left, all undamaged. I had completely forgotten about them during the day.

“Good night.” Twilight said as she walked out the door. I think she was still smiling.

“Good night.” I said distractedly.

Author's Note:

I think this has been the most enjoyable chapter for me to write so far. I hope it's just as enjoyable for you to read it!