• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 747 Views, 4 Comments

Dinky's Dark Side - waterflame



a story about anger, and how this can be devastating for everyone

  • ...
 4
 747

dinky's dark side

“What have I done... What have you done?” I asked myself as I tried to remember what happened in the past weeks. I look around in my self-made shelter, thinking of what to do next. Why did I have to do it? Why did this even happen?
It’s all so hazy, I still can’t believe I did this , it’s all like a nightmare. If it was only a nightmare... but it isn’t.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I woke up that morning, feeling a little bit strange... nothing much to worry about though.
As I got downstairs, I find my mom making breakfast, I miss her and wonder what she is doing now. I ate my breakfast and went to school. It all seemed like a normal day, mom was gone to work, I went to school like a good filly, played along like a good filly. At school, the other kids laughed and insulted my mother, angry as I was , but no way to express it, I ran back home crying. “Your mom is a dumb blind idiot,” they said. They said many mean things about mom and me. From that moment everything was about to get worse.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That evening I talked with mom over what happened on school. I told her everything, every insult, everything they did to me. Mom told me to stay calm, whatever happened. I went to my room, mom tried to comfort me, but it didn’t help much. That anger... I still am afraid of it, what if it turned to those I really love. The thought of that happening is unbearable and I try to think of something else before I would go sleep in my hastily made shelter.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I woke up the next morning, it is still dark and every single thing I dreamt is fresh in my memory. All the horrors... I might never forget them anymore. Three days have passed since I ran away from home, hungry as I am, I hope they find me quick. I wish I knew more off nature and it’s edible fruits. Suddenly the idea of going to Zecora’s hut comes in mind, but I shake It off, afraid Zecora might warn the official instances about my whereabouts. When I look around my shelter, I try and remember more of what happened.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next day I went to school again, mom told me to do so, I won’t disappoint her by not listening. I probably never would disappoint her again. At school lessons went as normal... that was, till the lunch break came. They were saying mean things again, this time it wouldn’t be as innocent as before. I felt anger burning inside of me, hotter and hotter as they said more mean things about mom. I tried to hold back my tears, and suddenly a burst of magic hits the ceiling and caused it to collapse on us...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I go out into the Everfree Forest to find some food. It was a hard task... I remember what mom always said, “If it tastes bitter, it’s poisonous,” so I taste every single berry I find. I only find bitter berries, it’s hard to determine if it is really poisonous or not, guess I’ll eat them no matter what.
I went back to my shelter, and try to remember more of what happened.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stood there, overlooking the destruction I just caused as Cheerilee entered the room.
“What happened here?” she asked as I ran outside and back home. I can still hear what she said as if it was only a few seconds ago.”Dinky? DINKY, WHAT DID YOU DO?”
When I came home, mom still wasn’t back from work. I hid in my room, afraid of being arrested.
What I did isn’t taken lightly in Ponyville and they soon will come for me. I cried and fell asleep.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My stomach hurts as the evening falls, seems those berries were poisonous after all. I cry, wishing mom was here to take care of me, to hug me, to comfort me. I miss how she brings me a muffin and some hot milk whenever I was sick, I could use one right now. As the sun is lowering, more memories come back, every single one of them makes it more clear that it wasn’t a nightmare.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Someone knocked on the door later that day. Doing as I always did, I walked down to the door, and opened it. Twilight Sparkle stood in front of me. “Dinky, I need to talk to you,” Twilight begun.
I slammed the door shut and ran back up to my room. I heard a blast, knowing Twilight would force her way in, especially after what I have done. “Dinky, you’re in serious trouble now,” Twilight’s voice was still as calm as ever, yet I hear anger in her voice.
I tried to hide under my bed, but her magic pulled me from under it. “Dinky, do you even realise what you have done?” Twilight asked me. “I’m so sorry,” tears ran freely “it wasn’t me... meant to happen,” I cried.
“They said so many mean things about me and mom,” I explained, Twilight nodded.
“But why did you have to destroy half of the school?” Twilight asked as I cried more.

“I didn’t want to do it, it all happened by accident,” I continued, the tears were drying out by now. “Such powerfull magic isn’t unheard of , Dinky, the Princess might be on her way right now”
Twilight stared at me. Through my eyes, still wet from the tears, I saw a different Twilight then I used to know, determined to keep me here, no matter what.
“You will probably be arrested several crimes, and be brought in court,” Twilight explained. “Or even worse, banished without a trial,” Twilight continued, still staring at me. “If I were you, I would stay here nicely and await your fate,” Twilight was readying a spell to bind me to my room.
“NO,” another surge of magic sprouted from my horn. Twilight responded with a shield spell, but was too late, the spell got partially deflected. Twilight fell to the ground, unconscious, as I hear her friends outside. “Twilight? What’s happening?” I heard Rainbow Dash and Applejack trotting up the stairs. Both appeared in my room as I was about ready to jump through the window.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The memories fade again, I look outside and see the moon is full now, Luna must have joined the search too, as the moon looks brighter then I can remember. My stomach still hurts and I can’t sleep. I stare into the darkness as my stomach is protesting even more
I don’t know when they will find me, or if the poison will kill me before they find me.
I prefer none of them, but it will happen sometime, I wait patiently for one of them to come. I try to sleep, knowing that nightmares will be part of the night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don’t know when I passed out, but when I woke up, I was in Zecora’s hut.
“If for he would not have found you, you surely had passed with Killer’s Blue,” Zecora said.
She is brewing something, probably an antidote for the poison, I have been so stupid.
I should have come to Zecora right away, but then I see him, a dark blue pony, his horn was glowing, probably a diagnosis spell.
He seems so familiar, yet I can’t find out where I have seen him before.
“You’re lucky I have found you, little one. Why in the world would you eat Killer’s blue berries.” He says, he sounds angry too. “I was hungry and I had no food,” I murmured.
“What’s a little filly like you doing out in the woods anyway?” He asked, raising an eyebrow.
“I... did things I’m not proud of,” I say, trying to evade his stare.
“What kind of things then?” He asked, keeping me in place with another spell, he sure wants to find out what I did. “ I... NO, I can’t say it, you would take me to the princess and I will be banished forever,” there are those tears again, not a day since the beginning has past without tears. “ The Princess? HA, I don’t have anything to say to Celestia, I am not under her rule,” The pony laughed, scaring me even more then I ever thought that was possible.
“I... destroyed the school...” I say, ashamed because it was true. “That isn’t something to joke about kid, anyway, my name is Gediminas Strangerunner.” His voice still sounded calm, yet with a bit of worry in it.
“I... I’m Dinky Hooves, nice to meet you,if I should say that,” I stuttered.
Gediminas walked up to a rack, and took a small vial of it, it is filled with a yellow liquid. I see he has a pair of wings under his jacket. “This will make you sleep for a while, as the antidote is very painful,” He says.
I drink the yellow liquid and close my eyes.
I try and remember even more of what happened...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I landed in some bushes, I crawled out of them and ran of to the Everfree forest.
I heard a cracking noise as Rainbow Dash also jumped out of the window and started to chase me.
“Stop it, you just don’t hurt our friend like that and get away with it,” Rainbow Dash was angry, determined to take revenge for what I did to Twilight, The voice told me to kill her, but I refused, and kept running. Away from school, away from Twilight, away from everyone I knew.
I soon reached the edge of the forest, mom always told me to stay away from there. I ran into the forest, and kept running until I couldn’t run anymore. I curled into a small ball and cried myself to sleep...
The next day I woke up, my stomach was growling. If I had more time to prepare I sure would have taken some muffins with me, but there was no time. And I had no muffins at all...
My eyes, still wet from the tears I shed the day before. Everything that happened, I have no control over it.

As I conclude my story, I hear voices outside. They shout my name, I have the urge to stand up and run outside. Something holds me from running outside and I hear Gediminas whispering.
“Be quiet, I’ll handle this,” Gediminas winked at me. I hide behind some masks in Zecora’s hut.
“Celestia? What are you doing here?” Gediminas asks. He seems to be sure of his case as Celestia spoke. “I could ask you the same, Strangerunner,” Celestia says with a glare of anger.
“That doesn’t matter now, I ask you, where is Dinky?” Celestia’s tone went down to whispers
“Should I know that?” Gediminas raises an eybrow. “Don’t play games with me, Strangerunner, I see you are hiding something from me,” Celestia’s voice raises again as she gets more angry.
“Ah, I see I still can’t hide anything for my little sister, I only came here for some of Zecora’s cures and antidotes,” Gediminas’ face twitched a few times as he spoke.
“Well, seems I can’t get any more information out of you than lies,” Celestia says as she spreads her wings, ready to lift off and search for me. Suddenly her horn starts to glow, and a magic blast emerges from it. Gediminas erects a shield spell to counter it. The spell reflected back to Celestia and her guards, barely missing her and splintering a tree.
“DON’T TRY ME CELESTIA,YOU KNOW YOU CAN’T WIN THIS!” Gediminas shouts.
I see only flashes of light, and see Zecora’s face twitching in fear. I stand up, and walk outside.
“here... I am, Celestia,” I stutter, I look straight in Celestia’s eyes and continue.
“You can banish me if you want, I know I did wrong, and I know I deserve to be punished,” tears start to run freely, but I can’t run away anymore. Celestia looks at me, a shiver goes down my spine as I feel her glare burning on my coat.

“You will not be banished, instead, explain to me what happened as that was no regular magic you used,” Celestia explains to me. I start telling everything that happened, from the first thing till now.
“It was rage?” Celestia was astonished, only the fact a filly of Dinky’s size could harness such magic? I sit down as I await what Celestia has to say,more tears come rolling down my cheeks...“I’m sorry about what happened, I...I... didn’t meant to do it, it all happened too fast,” it feels like a massive burden falls of my shoulders. I tried to hold back my tears till now, I can’t hold them back any longer and a torrent of searing hot tears well up from my eyes. Memories of the life before this come back, and any anger in my was dissipated. I wonder if this is Celestia’s magic.

“The other colts and fillies are alright, the doctors are taking care of them as we speak now, Dinky” Celestia lays a hoof on my shoulder. “I brought somepony else with me, someone who really misses you,” Celestia continues. I take a peek and see my mom standing there, her face wet and dirty from the tears. “MOM,” I shout, and as I run into her arms, I feel Celestia’s magic engulfing both of us.
“Dinky, I think you should look at your flank, it might be very important for you...” Celestia points
at my flank, where a cutie mark appeared. It is a heart shaped thundercloud.

“Now, let’s return to Ponyville,” Celestia says. I nod and hug Celestia.
“Gediminas? Do you want to accompany us?” Celestia asks the blue pony, he nods, and together we fly back to Ponyville. As I sit on my mothers back, I think back and laugh...
All these silly actions, just to protect those I really love, they’ve been so bad, yet it has been handled with a smile and a nod. Why? Why did this even happen in the first place? All this, because of a simple joke I would hear a lot more, that is, after all this is long forgotten. By then I should be a lot older and wiser, and probably more able to control the fire inside of me.
We finally arrive in Ponyville, I hear a voice singing. It is Gediminas, singing for the stars.

I sit back, and listen, Gediminas’s voice is as peaceful as the stars that are above us. I wonder, what if there is something beyond these stars. What if we are being watched by somepony else, high up there. I shrug and shake off the idea.I want to ask him if he really is Celestia’s brother, but he’s gone. I know, someday, I will meet him again.

As the darkness reveals,
every wound can be healed
as moonlight displays what they hide from your sight
when your eyes are blinded
by daylight
- song of the stargazer-

Comments ( 4 )

" “You will probably be arrested several crimes, and be brought in court,” Twilight explained. “Or even worse, banished without a trial,” Twilight continued, still staring at me. “If I were you, I would stay here nicely and await your fate,” " Why would Twilight say something so horrible and callous to a filly?

1295936
i have actually no idea... (it's just a story)
maybe because there could be deadly victims (or how you call it)
also, she did this before, with fluttershy (in the philomena episode)

It needs a lot of work.
I'm not gonna lie, but it had potential.
A rewrite would do this story a world of good, I would love to see more of dinkys adventures.

Hey everybody,

we did a live reading of this story and posted the recording here:

Hope you all enjoy, we certainly did :twilightsmile:

Love and tolerance,
TheLiving Library Player Socieety

Login or register to comment