• Published 9th Jun 2022
  • 11,264 Views, 2,919 Comments

The Princess and the Kaiser - UnknownError



Princess Flurry Heart of the Crystal Empire and Kaiser Grover VI of the Griffonian Reich meet. They will reclaim their empires, no matter the cost.

  • ...
27
 2,919
 11,264

PreviousChapters Next
Part Ninety-Five

Flurry Heart did not fall asleep, mostly by reminding herself of stumbling back up Mount Canterhorn with critical Magical Exhaustion. Somehow, listening to Coin Purse was worse. Or when others interrupted to ask questions and get even longer answers. She wasn’t the only one bored; Jacques did fall asleep, but taped googly eyes over his closed eyelids.

No one called him out on it.

Finally, with the afternoon sun filtering in around the map, Coin stopped. “We can prepare a further report at a later date, Princess.”

“Thank you,” Flurry coughed. She drained the last drops from the canteen stowed under her chair. The coffee, not that she liked it, had long run dry. The benefit of the economic summary was that most of the lower command staff had been dismissed from the room. Only the guards, the governors, their aides, and what constituted Flurry’s war council remained.

“I’ll get with you later, Coin,” Spike promised. He scratched out a last set of notes with the nub of a pencil Flurry swore was a full pencil six hours ago. He stuffed the page in a folder. It took the alicorn a moment, but she realized Spike had taken the ELF’s manifesto and torn out the pages to reuse the folder. “We’ll discuss it after the coronation.”

“I have not prepared a report on coronation costs,” Coin seemingly remembered.

Flurry resisted weeping.

“We’re borrowing the Reich’s film equipment and broadcasting it,” Thorax answered. He couldn’t stop a smile at the burst of sheer love from his niece beside him. “It will be in the same location as Twilight’s: west wing.”

“We’ve stripped most of the castle,” Sunset nickered.

“So be it,” Spike shrugged. “Equestria is poor, its Princess is poor. The Reich can make fun of us all they want, but the average Reichsarmee soldier fights for table scraps compared to what their officers make.”

Jacques snorted awake and removed his googly eyes. “His birthday party is a massive affair while his soldiers eat rations,” the yellow griffon added as if he had not been passed out for several hours.

“That reminds me,” Flurry interrupted. “Rainbow?”

Rainbow sluggishly turned her head to Flurry. Over the talk, she had cleaned her metal wing to a pristine shine that was nearly blinding when it caught the light. “Yeah, Princess?” she yawned.

“You’re invited to the party. Element of Loyalty. Gilda’s there.”

“Cool,” she yawned again.

“Rarity?” Flurry asked, even though she knew the answer.

“I’d like to make a few adjustments to your uniform,” Rarity said as an excuse.

Flurry accepted it with a nod. “Alright. Jacques?”

Jacques laughed. “Really?”

“Yeah, why not?”

“Because he’ll cause several international incidents,” Gabriel huffed.

“I will be on my best behavior,” Jacques promised with a raised claw. His other claw snaked under his wing.

“Did you cross two talons?” Flurry asked wryly.

Jacques paused. “No.”

“Fine,” Flurry smiled slightly. “Grover hates the thing anyway.”

“Is that what you talked about?” Thorax said casually. He raised a ridged brow and tapped the checklist with a holed hoof.

Flurry’s smile fell. Right. “Thank you for coming, everypony. I’ll have individual meetings with governors this evening. Lastly, we need to talk about the upcoming battle plans.”

There was a long period of chat as the crowd was herded out by the guards, several of which spoke discreetly with Thorax before they left as well. The changeling made quick notes in a private black book.

“Anything I need to be concerned about?” Flurry asked tiredly.

Thorax shook his head.

Flurry bit her lip, then regarded the round table. She had asked for Katherine, Cerie, Amoxtli, Jadis, and Nightshade to remain, even though they held no rank beyond being her guards and friends. It was all her old council with the Equestrian additions: Sunset, Tempest, Zecora, Limestone, Rarity, Light Narrative, and Yona. Her horn shimmered as she warded the room, then cut the sound off to the outside.

“Did the Kaiser share war plans?” Tempest asked after glancing at the glowing windows.

“They want a push through the south and knock the Appleoosan Protectorate out of the war,” Flurry explained. “I’ll need the Tzinacatl.”

“Of course,” Light Narrative said empathetically. “We’ve been gathering our war bands.”

“That’s not why you’re here,” Flurry dismissed. “I’ve allied with the Griffonian Reich, specifically Grover VI.”

There was a chorus of slow nods.

“I’m marrying him at the end of the war.” Flurry was too tired to be discreet or evasive.

Half the table expected the announcement and did not react. The other half froze. Tempest opened her mouth and shut it with a clack. Sunset blinked rapidly for several heartbeats.

Rarity frowned. “I’m sorry?”

“You always wanted to make a Princess a wedding dress, Rares,” Rainbow nudged her with a hock. “Here’s your chance if you want it.”

“I…” Rarity stopped. She did not restart.

Limestone finally burst out laughing. “What the fuck!?”

“There’s no fucking,” Flurry answered. “It’s a political marriage.”

The earth pony laughed harder.

“You…” Sunset breathed in. “He…what?”

“It was my idea,” Flurry offered.

Tempest looked very lost. “Why?”

“For Nova Griffonia,” Edvald answered. “To end the hostilities and secure the alliance.”

“For us,” Katherine said quietly. Cerie rubbed her beak beside the red griffon.

“It wasn’t just for you,” Flurry said mollifyingly. “Grover made an offer to help when I was fourteen, and I…refused…after refugees started pouring in-”

“So for us,” Cerie sighed.

“You sold out,” Sunset whispered. Her horn glowed.

Spike stood up in warning. His wings flared out. “Don’t, Colonel.”

“You sold out,” Sunset repeated, though she was staring at the ceiling instead of the alicorn. “Grover built an empire across from Celestia purely out of spite. His spawn gets to parade you in front of the Archons at Griffenheim in a sham marriage. Equestria will be a joke.”

“Equestria nearly lost to a foal,” Flurry snapped, “it was already a joke.”

“Of course we’re going to be a puppet,” the unicorn continued, “they’re patriarchal. You call yourself the Princess of Ponies and you’re marrying the Kaiser of Griffonkind his way.” Sunset stood up from her chair and finally turned furious eyes to Flurry. “You sold out everything to save a few birds?”

The griffons at the table spread their wings, but did not stand up. The unicorn’s horn burned at the tip, blackening from the power being poured into a spell. Limestone and Tempest leaned to the side rather than restrain Sunset Shimmer, the former student of Celestia. Flurry remained sitting, but her own horn glowed with golden light as she prepared a shield.

“Yes,” the alicorn answered instead of trying to rationalize it.

Sunset’s horn snuffed out abruptly and she collapsed onto the table with weepy, bitter laughter. The others at the table stayed tense as the unicorn slammed forehooves against the wood and scattered papers. Limestone and Zecora looked away while Tempest thumped her back with a hoof.

“You…damn…” Sunset struggled to breathe in and finally recovered from her fit after a few minutes. “Damn you,” she spat. “You truly are Twilight’s niece. She’s the only other pony stupid enough to make that deal and even think it would work.”

“At this point, we take that as a compliment,” Duskcrest said sardonically. Dusty nodded in solidarity. “Our Princess would make an excellent griffon: stubborn, impulsive, and prone to headbutting.”

“I don’t do that often,” Flurry protested.

“Your broke a centuries old table in my office with your skull,” Light Narrative countered. “And then continued to carve a symbol into your leg.”

Flurry glanced down at the swirling figure eight of white fur over the scar tissue. “I don’t regret it. Tlatoani, I’d like your thoughts.”

“I wish I was still a journalist because this is the story of the century,” Light replied with pinned ears. He removed his hat and flapped it down onto the table. “I take it this is a secret?”

“Did the wards give it away?” Nightshade asked the other bat pony with narrowed eyes.

“You’re either here because you already know, I trust you, or I need your opinion,” Flurry provided. “How will Thestrals take it?”

Light Narrative considered it, then spoke quietly in a tribal language with Amoxtli. The mare flicked her golden eyes to Flurry several times with shrugging wings. Light nodded along and his wings jittered.

“Better than marrying a pony,” Amoxtli finally said as she turned back.

“Shut up!” Limestone snorted.

“Griffons have not mistreated us for a thousand years,” Light Narrative concurred. He turned a wry eye to the ELF members. “Thestrals will not wail in the night.”

“Edvald? Katherine?” Flurry asked before another argument could erupt.

“Where else could we go?” Katherine asked in Herzlander. “We live or die entirely at your decision. We are your subjects and must trust your heart.”

“What happens if Grover pressures you later?” Edvald asked. “Or offers New Mareland?”

“I don’t want it,” Flurry returned. “No offense, Nightshade. I’m not trading land for subjects.” Nightshade waved a dismissive hoof.

“An easy promise,” Edvald rebuked, but without any anger. “You’ve kept your promises so far, but there will be fear.” He drummed a talon on the table. “Let Katherine swear fealty to you at the coronation, in front of the Kaiser. It will be a slight to him, but also confirmation to us.” Katherine’s feathers flushed, but she grinned at slighting Grover.

Flurry nodded, then turned to Cerie.

The Aquileian swallowed. “What can I say?”

“Are you comfortable swearing fealty to me at the coronation?” Flurry asked in Aquileian.

“It is not a question worth asking,” Cerie immediately replied. “We follow little Flurry.”

“I’d like to work on getting you home post-war,” Flurry said quietly.

“This is home.”

“What about an heir?” Tempest interrupted. She was frowning at the table. “Grover’s the last of his line.”

“I’ve agreed to support his legitimized bastard.”

“Does he have one?” Jacques raised a feathered brow.

“No.”

“That’s a war,” Sunset said with a low sigh. “The Grovers have already been challenged once; it’ll happen again. If you’re immortal, does that apply to all his descendants?”

Flurry quirked her muzzle. “We haven’t talked about it.”

“Please,” Jacques drawled, “relying on the strength of a pink horn makes the Grovers look weak. If Little Flurry lives a century crushing uprisings, how long until griffons crow that a pony keeps the Grovers on their throne?”

Tempest’s frown grew thoughtful. “If you fall and we form a regency council, Grover gets all the benefits of this without having an alicorn wife riding his tanks into battle.”

“Some would call that a negative,” Jacques quipped.

“He could kill you,” Tempest replied.

“Or you could kill him after the war,” Limestone suggested.

“We’re in debt for centuries,” Spike answered.

“Right,” Limestone said with utter confidence, “no debt.”

“That’s…” Spike paused, “that’s not how debt works.”

“Even I know that, Lime,” Rainbow snorted.

“Do Yaks get to smash at wedding?” Yona asked after a long slurp of her drink. She brushed her bangs out her eyes, conspicuously displaying the Imperial Snowflake on her foreleg.

“Probably not,” Flurry admitted.

Yona snorted. “Catbird wedding is weak.”

“So I’ll look weak to the Yaks?”

Yona rolled her brown eyes. “You punch changelings, yes? And headbutt like Yak. We don’t care. Birds should be proud to have smashing wife.”

“This might be an easy decision for you,” Sunset mumbled, “but this is subordinating Equestria to a foreign power on the world stage.”

Limestone considered Flurry for a long pause, then grinned at Sunset. “Hornhead, she’s an alicorn. There’s no ‘selling out.’ That nerd is out-winged by a filly; doesn’t matter how many priests they have crowing about griffons being predators.”

“Nopony accused my mother of marrying down to my father,” Flurry said.

Sunset winced from her slump on the table. “Blueblood did.”

Flurry frowned. “He is dead, right?”

“He is indeed, darling,” Rarity snapped back to the table with a quick blink. She licked her lips, but visibly thought about her words and said nothing.

“Zecora?” Flurry asked.

Zecora shrugged her forelegs. “I’m not mad and I have nothing to add.” She shook her head and the hoops earrings jingled. "This is no concern to me; with Chrysalis dead, Equestria is free...enough for me."

“Truly mercenary,” Duskcrest raised his empty flask to her in a salute. “I knew I liked you for a reason.”

“The average Equestrian won’t care,” Dusty added.

“Maybe,” Flurry acknowledged doubtfully. “Jadis?”

Frosty Jadis gave her Princess an insulted look. “Our loyalty is unshakeable.”

“Do you want to marry him?” Rarity finally asked softly.

Flurry pursed her lips. “I wouldn’t have offered it if I wasn’t willing to do it.”

“That’s not what I asked.”

“That’s the answer you get,” Flurry returned.

Thorax continued jotting notes down in a black notebook; his eyes scanned the table the entire discussion. “It goes without saying that this is privileged information that does not leave this room.”

“What if it does?” Tempest asked. She folded her forelegs. “I’m not making a threat,” she said smoothly, “just an observation. The Princess and the Kaiser are both young and unmarried.”

“You spent too much time in Zebrica,” Limestone waved a hoof. “Nopony’s going to think that looking at them.”

“Yes,” Edvald agreed in Equestrian. “Be like Kaiser marrying one Bronzehill’s dogs.”

“Are you calling the Princess a dog?” Dusty nickered.

“Some things are not done,” Edvald shrugged a claw. “Though they could be. Why did only Princess Cadance marry?”

“My mother loved my father,” Flurry said softly.

“But in a thousand years, Celestia never loved?” Edvald tapped a talon on the table.

“A marriage weakens the realm,” Sunset tried.

“I disagree,” Jacques cut in, “griffons grift, yes? We will be in debt to our eyeballs.” He widened his eyes. “They will attempt to take everything they can. Grifting a pony out of some hard-earned bits is nothing, but grifting the Kaiserin of the Griffonian Reich is an insult to the Gods and to the throne.”

He clacked his beak at the alicorn. “When they try to cheat you, you can headbutt them. What will they crow to the Kaiser about? That they tried to grift his ordained wife?”

“You think the marriage will offset the debt?” Spike questioned with a frown.

“Not unless we switch to paper currency post-war,” Jacques drawled. “Ration tickets and guaranteed housing only get us so far.”

“You were sleeping for most of that talk,” Flurry accused.

“I never sleep.”

Thorax flipped his notebook shut and tucked the black pen back into a hole in his right leg. “Last business,” he announced. “Army reform. Do you accept?”

“Accept what?” Limestone snorted. “Putting on some shitty snowflake instead of the Elements of Harmony? Cloth don’t stop bullets.”

“I don’t care what ponies wear,” Flurry sighed. “We need an actual army.”

“What about a navy?” Rainbow asked. “Josette’s still up in Nova- I mean, the Imperial Coast or whatever.”

“We support the Reichsarmee,” Flurry decided. “We have to face facts. Equestria’s going to take a century to pull itself out of this. Rainbow, I can’t worry about scraping together an air force or a navy with half of Equestria still occupied.”

“And you want me as your commander?” Tempest asked.

“Yes.”

She breathed in through her nose. “You want your second-in-command to be the Storm King’s Right Hoof?” Her eyes drifted to the table. “You know what that looks like, right?”

“I’m sure Zebrica will be thrilled,” Flurry deadpanned. “Good thing we relied on a magic map to go down there in the first place.” Her voice softened. “You can refuse, Fizzlepop.”

The unicorn’s broken horn sparked with a tiny blue light. It popped and sizzled while she thought, eyes roaming the wooden table. Zecora cleared her throat. “The road to one’s destiny can be long and winding, but perhaps Twilight’s mercy led to this finding?”

“I could never place your accent,” Tempest remarked to her. “Always wondered when you’d poison my coffee.”

Zecora smirked. “I fake it to make it.” Her smile fell. “It is up to you to decide what to do.”

The unicorn closed her eyes and the motion pinched the scar over her eyelid. “I, Tempest Shadow, accept the position. Princess Flurry Heart, the Imperial Army of the Empire and Equestria will be at your command.”

Flurry inhaled. “Sunset Shimmer, I would elevate you to Archmage. If you accept.”

“Neighsay had that position during the war,” Sunset whickered from the table. She had not lifted her head from her hooves. “You know that puts me in charge of magical education as well, right?”

“You were Celestia’s student.”

“I ran away before I finished,” Sunset admitted. “I’m not qualified.”

“Then pick ponies that are to help you,” Flurry offered. “Or refuse.”

Sunset laid her head on the table, not looking at anything or anyone in particular.

Limestone coughed. "Sunny, I never got why you had a grudge against Cadenza, but shove that shit to the side and mare up. We got work to do."

Sunset turned her eyes from scattered papers to the alicorn across from her. Her muzzle twisted. “I accept. Why don’t you declare yourself Crystal Empress?”

Flurry snorted. “I’m not doing it.”

“It will put you on equal ground to Grover.”

The alicorn’s wings fluttered against the back of the chair. “Cool. Still not doing it.”

“She has a point,” Dusty pointed out. “Princess is just a title over in Griffonia; it carries far less weight and meaning.” She twisted back to the map backlit by the afternoon sun. “Yeah, you have two crowns on paper, but-”

“No.”

Limestone waved a hoof. “That’s a mouthful for a pony to swallow. Better this way.”

“For now,” Katherine agreed, “but she can’t claim the title post-war in the lead-up to the marriage. It will look like posturing.”

“It’s posturing now,” Cerie disagreed with her neighbor.

“Chrysalis declared herself Empress of the Crystal Empire, then of all of Equus,” Thorax said neutrally. “Perhaps such comparisons should be avoided?”

Rarity shook her head. “It is still abundantly clear that this is just pretense.”

“It would separate her from the other Princesses,” Light Narrative added while he tugged on a strap on his prosthetic leg. “That’s not a bad thing for the Thestrals.”

“I am not taking away Twilight’s crown.”

The chandeliers swung and the glowing walls crackled with energy as they reacted to the power of the Royal Voice. The papers loosely organized in front of Flurry blew across the table. Her hat fluttered back to the center of the round oak table, spinning on its high bill.

Flurry ground her teeth. “Discussion over.”

“Yes, Princess,” Spike said formally.

Thorax floated the cap back over to Flurry and set it down by her forelegs. She did not put it back on. “I think we’re done here for today,” the changeling said. “We can pick up some stuff tomorrow while the Reichsarmee is having the feast.”

Flurry remained sitting while her command staff stood and bowed to her. Some took longer to do so than others, but everyone at the table bowed and remained down. “Rise,” she called out. “Dismissed except for Jacques, Rainbow, Spike, and Thorax.”

Sunset and Tempest left with the other ELF members, probably for the last time it would be officially the Equestrian Liberation Front. Tempest collected the paper emblazoned with Cadance’s mark from the royal seal, tucking into a folder with her hooves. Her eyes were distant again.

I wonder if the Storm King had meetings like this. Flurry rested her head on an upturned hoof. Or Chrysalis. Does she attend meetings? Do her changelings yell at her?

“No,” Thorax answered.

Flurry blinked.

“You were speaking out loud,” Spike explained. “And your stomach is growling. Did you eat breakfast?”

“A bagel.”

Spike stared at the lean, long-legged alicorn with hooded eyes. “Just one?”

Flurry heard her stomach growl before she responded. “Yeah.”

Spike turned and shouted, “Jadis! Amoxtli! Stay! Escort the Princess to the kitchens after this!” The two ponies broke from the crowd and waited by the doors.

Rainbow shuffled down the chairs to be closer to Flurry. Jacques remained where he was. The pegasus had to lean mostly on the table to see around Spike. “About the party, right? I still got my Wonderbolts dress blues. I’ll wear that.”

“You can sit with Gilda,” Flurry said.

“What? Leave you with the Kaiser and Jacques?” Rainbow snorted. “I’ll behave.”

“I’ll be fine,” Flurry dismissed.

“Really?” Jacques inspected his talons. “The two of you seemed quite ready to throw hooves. What's changed after you two flew off a few days ago? If I was a lesser griffon, I might make a joke.”

“Nothing happened,” Flurry said smoothly.

Thorax, Spike, Jacques, and Rainbow stared at her. The fur on the back of her neck prickled as she sensed Jadis and Amoxtli’s stares as well. Flurry jittered her wings. “Some stuff happened,” she amended. “We’re fine. I think.”

Thorax started, “Don’t eat-”

“I’ll keep to all the rules,” Flurry promised. “And Jacques can be a distraction.”

The yellow griffon placed a claw on his purple uniform and looked hurt. “Is that all I am?”

“Yes,” Flurry deadpanned.

“I’ll have you know I dined with Vivienne Discret once,” Jacques protested. “Well, I was in the room. As a server. Very undercover, only spilled one glass.”

Flurry huffed to hide her smile.

“You did well, Little Flurry,” Jacques assured her. He raised his head to stare at the doors, then dropped his voice. “Quite the monarch. Snipped the ELF’s support across the political spectrum, assessed the loyalty of your high command, and set the groundwork for a centralized state run by the point of your horn.”

Thorax bared his fangs at him.

“Please,” Jacques waved a claw. “Only Sunset came close to figuring it out, probably Celestia’s old lessons roiling around in her burning skull. The only thing that would make her happy is if the ‘Great White Hope’ came roaring back in sunfire.”

“That’s not why I did anything,” Flurry denied. She swallowed. “Twilight will rule beside me in a restored Diarchy. I need ponies that can do it.”

“You play the game well.”

Flurry laughed slightly. “Blackpeak said I play it poorly.”

“Proved him wrong,” Jacques shrugged a claw. “You play with different rules, Little Flurry. Some of us can make the rules up as we go.”

“If that’s all,” Thorax glared at him. “We’re done.”

He stood up and motioned a wing to Rainbow. “I must read up on all the little forks and spoons. Would you like to assist me, Air Marshal?”

“No,” Rainbow nickered. “Lower tables eat with their claws and a big knife.”

“Somehow I doubt that, but we shall see.” They left together. Aside from Jadis and Amoxtli, Flurry was alone in the room with her family. Thorax looked at his little black book. He had it angled away from Flurry Heart. She shifted her head, and he scooched the chair slightly to keep her from seeing it.

“Is something wrong?” Flurry asked.

“No,” Thorax answered confidently.

“You don’t need to worry about it,” Spike said from the other side of Flurry. “Changelings lie. If it’s really important, he’ll keep it from you until it’s too late to do anything about it.”

The room was quiet for a minute. Spike looked into his coat at an inner pocket. “Sometimes I wish I never met you in that cave,” the dragon said aloud. He did not look at the changeling.

“I know,” Thorax replied.

“Like that would have stopped anything that came afterwards.” The dragon’s voice was smoky and bitter. “Must really suck when you can tell if your friend hates you.”

“You get used to it,” Thorax said without looking up. “It comes in waves.”

“Are you sorry?”

“No,” Thorax chittered, “because my friends would have charged up this mountain and died for nothing.” He stuffed the notepad back into a pocket and held one hoof over it. “Starlight Glimmer was not stupid. She knew Twilight and Chrysalis, and knew she would be suffering. She couldn’t decide what was more important: saving her, or saving Equestria. She believed they were the same so she didn’t have to choose.”

“I don’t understand,” Flurry said between them.

“Doesn’t matter,” Spike growled. His eyes unfocused for a moment, then he shook his head. “I’ll be regent for Twilight. I...I can’t go to the front. I'm just going to kill them all.”

“You’ll do a far better job here than I could,” Flurry assured him. She hesitated to put a hoof over his claw, leaving her foreleg hanging in the air. Spike noticed. His eyes drifted down to her neck.

“Bruises heal?” he asked with a raspy voice.

“Obsidian’s got my crown and repairing the gorget.”

Spike swallowed. “I’m sorry.”

“So am I.” Flurry paused. She set her hoof down atop his claw. “I’ll stay. I need to learn how to be a Princess.”

“No,” Thorax said from the other side. “You need to fight.”

“Yes,” Spike agreed.

Flurry stared between them, then threw her forelegs out. “Fight, not fight, actually fight!” she whinnied in exasperation. “Stop changing your minds!”

“Ponies have heard enough from a voice on the radio,” Thorax explained with a patient look. “They need to see.”

“See what? I can’t be everywhere.”

“See that you aren’t Celestia,” Spike puffed a plume of smoke. “Sunset was right. Celestia was Equestria. It broke apart once she left. Look at Baltimare, or the Thestrals. Everyone here is here because of you, whether they want to admit it or not.”

“That sounds like an argument to stay,” Flurry retorted.

“And if you do stay, you’re a foreign filly with a weird accent surrounded by the army of Equestria’s rival,” the changeling said without judgement. “If you marry Grover after sitting out the war, you’re a puppet-pony placed upon a throne.”

Flurry glared at the notepad hidden in his jacket pocket. “Is something wrong?”

“No,” Thorax said. “Not yet.”

Flurry looked around the room. “Did anyone at this meeting try to kill me?”

“They’re still alive, so no,” Thorax deadpanned. “You think I’d let them live?”

“Dunno,” Flurry slapped the back of his chair with a wing. “How’s Cozy?”

“She’s a good liar,” Thorax chittered. “As good as you. I can get use out of her.”

“If you have to kill her, tell me.”

Thorax raised a ridged eyebrow. “Before?”

“After,” Flurry nickered. “Don’t tip her off.”

Spike sighed again. He reached into his pocket and placed a large claw down on the table, holding something in his palm. He closed his eyes.

Flurry peered up at him with a wince. “I’m sorry you weren’t involved.”

“I’d have done more than knocked out a tooth,” Spike rumbled. “Better that I wasn’t. Twilight didn’t know what to do with her. She loved that school so much.” His eyes wandered to the map.

“We cleared out Twilight’s old tower before Grover moved in,” Spike said. “Not much left. Changelings took everything she was working on during the war.”

“Chrysalis took everything of value to Vesalipolis,” Thorax said. “To the tower.”

“We’ll get it back,” Flurry stated. Her eyes were fixated on the map, tracing the northwestern peninsula that made up the Changeling Lands.

“Sunset came by with a box of stuff a few days ago,” Spike’s voice wandered. “Looked through it for…for stuff to decorate Twilight’s room. For when she wakes up.”

Flurry nodded. The dragon’s lips trembled around the chipped fang. His claw reflexively clenched, then he lifted his arm up and splayed out his talons.

An amulet dangled on a small chain.

“This is all that’s left.” Spike set the amulet down. “Twilight was working on it, I guess, or maybe one of the others.” He spun the circular device with a lazy claw.

Flurry looked down at it. It looked like a purple timepiece within a metal frame; exposed gears that rotated around a crescent moon within a sun and partial star. It was too big to have been a watch, and the gem in the middle matched Twilight’s color.

“What was it?” Flurry asked quietly. Her horn glowed, but she sensed no enchantment. Whatever it was meant to be, the visible gears and crystal spokes suggested it was unfinished.

“I don’t know,” Spike answered.

Flurry picked it up in her magic and rotated the central gear. The timepiece ticked quietly, rotating the star around the sun and moon. She set it down and watched it with Spike and Thorax.

Nothing happened.

“It’s yours,” Spike whispered, “if you want it.”

Flurry looked down at the amulet. “Thorax, do you…”

The changeling frowned. “No. Changelings must have thought it was junk, some unfinished thing.”

“I’m not putting more machines in her room,” Spike said lowly. “She has enough around her as is. Doctors keep adding more.” He nudged it over towards Flurry with a gentle talon. Flurry looked up at him.

“If she never told me about it, then it’s either one of the last things she ever worked on or a secret.” Spike tried to smile. “Maybe you could figure it out?”

The ticking stopped. Flurry levitated it over her head and let the amulet hang around her neck. Spike pressed her cap on over her mane stubble when she rewound it. She scowled up at him when a talon scrubbed her short mane.

Spike crinkled his eyes and looked away. “So, if you die…” he swallowed. “Lord Regent, huh? You just going to leave me in charge of everyone?”

“I’m sorry,” Flurry apologized.

“It won’t hold together, not if Twilight’s still asleep,” Thorax said from the other side of the alicorn. “Sunset was right. Celestia was Equestria.”

"If I die you can invite her back."

"I don't want-" Spike cut himself off. "I’m not letting it die. Not to these assholes.” He closed his eyes and snorted a plume of smoke. The dragon finally turned and looked over Flurry’s horn to Thorax.

The small changeling sat quietly in his uniform. “I’m sorry, Spike.”

Spike took a deep breath. “I need a contingency plan, Royal Advisor.”

Flurry looked between them.

“Of course, Lord Regent,” Thorax said without a smile. He caught Flurry’s eye. “I’ll talk with Spike. Go get something to eat.”

Flurry hesitated.

“Get out of here,” Spike gently pushed her chair back with a claw. She stood with wilting wings. The amulet ticked quietly around her neck.

“I’m sorry for putting this on you,” Flurry said quietly.

“You didn’t put anything on me,” Spike assured her. “I can do this. For Twilight and for you. I can wait a long time.”

Flurry pressed the ticking amulet looped around her neck with a wing, feeling the gears wind like a heartbeat. She walked to the doors; Jadis and Amoxtli nodded.

The alicorn looked over a wing and asked, “Are you sure?” for a final time. Her stomach growled under her; Flurry’s ears pinned in embarrassment.

“I’m sure,” Thorax smiled. “We’ll be here awhile.”

“There’s much to be done,” Spike agreed. He flexed the sleeves of his purple long coat, then removed his cap and set it down between him and Thorax.

Flurry twisted back and stared down at the amulet around her neck. It rested against her sash, looking like a clockwork mess of gears with a sun, moon, and star. Not quite a Crystal Heart.

She stepped forward out of the room. As Jadis and Amoxtli shut the double doors, Flurry noticed a burn mark in the wood from an errant spell. It blended into the carvings on the double doors. Flurry inspected the amulet a final time, holding it up with a white boot. Her horn glowed, but she sensed nothing. Not a weapon.

“Princess,” Amoxtli requested, “I can hear your stomach.” Her tufted ears flicked above her blue mane. “Some of our fine cooking can alleviate that,” she said with a mild smirk.

“Hayburgers,” Flurry ordered.

“With crickets,” Amoxtli compromised.

“Perhaps a fine crystal carrot dog?” Jadis countered.

“Can your kind eat crystals?” Amoxtli asked in curiosity.

“No, but I would rather attempt crystals than crickets.”

Flurry let the amulet hang from her neck as she trotted away. She did not hear when the ticking stopped, nor did anything happen when it did. That night, she left the amulet in her room beside Whammy and had a late dinner with Spike and Thorax. They did not tell her what they discussed, only that Equestria and the Empire would endure if something happened to her, and the agreements with the Griffonian Reich would be kept.

Flurry Heart was not stupid.

She did not ask who they planned to kill.

PreviousChapters Next