• Published 9th Jun 2022
  • 11,265 Views, 2,920 Comments

The Princess and the Kaiser - UnknownError



Princess Flurry Heart of the Crystal Empire and Kaiser Grover VI of the Griffonian Reich meet. They will reclaim their empires, no matter the cost.

  • ...
27
 2,920
 11,265

PreviousChapters Next
The Princess and the Kaiser

The communists made their last stand in Stalliongrad, two days trot south of the Nova Griffonian border. The government in Weter had accepted the Equestrian refugees with open wings, anticipating an economic boom and cheap labor, but the followers of Caramel Marks and the Equalists of Starlight Glimmer were far too much trouble. Nova Griffonia had barely averted Highhill’s coup, and the bandits in the frontier were already predisposed towards Redtail’s communists. Nova Griffonia simply forbid Stalliongrad’s militias from crossing the border. Of course, ponies fled anyway, but many did so without their families and friends.

Many more stayed behind.

The ponies of northern Equestria had always been far from the Princess’ gaze in Canterlot, despite the great city of Princessyn standing in the north for centuries. It was no wonder they had birthed a new ideology, just as Starlight Glimmer did in her village within spitting distance of the Nova Griffonian border. It was also no wonder they renamed Princessyn to Stalliongrad after one of their early leaders.

Despite Starlight Glimmer’s renunciation of equalism and the Royal Sisters' wariness of communism, the Soviet of Stalliongrad did not attempt to flee. They stayed in their city with their ponies, and were blown apart in the artillery bombardment in the last days of the Great War. Chrysalis ordered the city shelled into oblivion, doubtlessly angry that some changelings readily accepted equality.

Ponies with more courage than an alicorn, Flurry huffed. She sat in the back of a half-track as it trundled down what was once a neighborhood street. The alicorn stared through a reinforced window at the rubble lining the road.

Stalliongrad had been utterly destroyed, and Chrysalis ordered it to remain that way. It made garrisoning the southern border of Nova Griffonia difficult for the Changelings. They lost their best possible supply hub and the largest trainyard in the north. Flurry watched the skeletal brick framework of small houses pass by. She didn’t see any movement.

“Ponies still lived here?” she asked Thorax.

“Princess?” The changeling blinked and stopped shuffling through a pile of papers in a folder. He bounced along on the opposite bench in the back of the half-track. Frosty Jadis bounced along beside him, staring out a small window and scanning the rubble. Both of them wore purple uniforms, complete with small caps with the Imperial Snowflake.

Where are they getting those? Flurry shook the thought from her head. “Ponies lived here? In the ruins?”

“The Changelings lightly garrisoned the north,” Thorax responded. “The Love Tax was centered in the heartlands around Canterlot and Manehattan. Severyana was always a poor area, and Chrysalis destroyed the only industrial core. The only use in holding it was to blockade Nova Griffonia.”

“They used incendiary shells, Princess,” Jadis added, frowning out the porthole. Her hoof shook against the stock of her rifle in agitation. “I can tell by the damage. Look at the scorch marks on the brick. They wanted the city to burn.”

Flurry turned back to the window. A chimney, all that remained of a house, drifted past. The red brick was black along the entire length. “Ponies lived here?” Flurry repeated.

“In basements and bunkers, raiding convoys and supply trucks for almost a decade,” Thorax responded. “Governor Lilac had been given most of the territory, but she didn’t even have the garrisons to control Manehattan and the outskirts.”

“Okay,” Flurry nodded. The alicorn shifted against the bench; she wore her purple and white uniform with navy pants. She laid on her side and her legs stuck out stiffly. Her tall hoof boots covered part of the braces, and her leggings covered the rest, but it was a poor disguise. The braces were bulky and the outlines were clearly visible. It’ll look better when I’m standing, Flurry assured herself.

She self-consciously tugged her purple cap tight against her ears with her horn. The band on the front of the cap was stamped with the blue crystal heart; it hid the worst of the fuzzy bald patches, but it made her head itch even worse. Her stubby tail was tucked in under her pants and purple skirt. Flurry caught her reflection in the glass. She still had several patches along her muzzle and around her eyes, but they were slowly filling in with pink fuzz. It was obvious her mane was either cut short under the cap, or entirely gone. Her pale blue eyes were still bloodshot, and the contrast between the red veins and her irises made it very noticeable.

Flurry looked back to her uncle. “Let’s review. According to the most recent refugees, the Reich has completely stalled just before the Everfree to the west. In the north, the shield is blocking their advance. In the south, Baltimare rose up and threw out the garrison months ago. Southeast Equestria is complete anarchy.”

“The Austral Protectorate was never governable,” Thorax chuckled bitterly. “Bat ponies, communists, anarchists, all united trying to kill Changelings. The southeast was the least-developed region of Equestria to begin with. Chrysalis wanted the oil and rubber. The governors resorted to using slave plantations with fortified walls and fences.”

“It’s an all-out war down there now,” Flurry summarized.

“With the Changelings falling back, yes,” Thorax shrugged. “Bat ponies in the jungles are fighting with Baltimare, the Ponies Republic of Baltimare is fighting with the Reich, and everypony is fighting the Changelings.”

“Grover’s position is incredibly weak,” Flurry stated. “He’s completely dependent of supply convoys from the Reich, and he only has Manehattan as a port.”

“There are other port cities along the coast, Princess,” Thorax countered. “If he crossed the ocean, he would’ve landed at Petershoof.”

“If?” Flurry nickered.

“This could easily be a trap, Princess,” Jadis said, still looking out the window.

Flurry took a deep breath.

“The Reich has the largest army in the world,” Thorax said quickly, interrupting Flurry before she could reply. “Chrysalis has the second. The Equestrians that came through the shield near the front line report that the fighting has been sporadic and disorganized for months.”

“Grover can’t bring his entire army across the ocean and leave the Reich vulnerable to the River Federation,” Flurry stated.

“This is a war of attrition,” Thorax agreed. “The more Chrysalis throws at the front, the more of Equestria she’ll lose to revolt.”

Revolt for me, Flurry thought. She glanced out the window again as the half-track slowed. “Stalliongrad never loved Princesses. Are we safe here?”

“That’s what I’m worried about, Princess,” Jadis nodded.

Thorax smiled and fully exposed his fangs. He rapped his hoof on the hatch to the driver and machine-gunner. After a moment, the earth pony in the turret opened the door and stuck his head through.

“Corporal Cranberry,” Thorax said genially, “do you believe it is safe for the Princess to see your home from the turret?”

“Of course!” Cranberry whickered. His tail lashed against his tan uniform in anger. Flurry realized it was an old Stalliongrad uniform, but the earth pony wrapped a strip of purple cloth around his right foreleg.

Thorax leaned over and helped Flurry Heart stand. She had to duck slightly in the half-track. Cranberry shuffled around them apologetically, rubbing against Jadis while she sat propped up and watching out the porthole. The crystal pony’s white tail cracked the earth pony across the muzzle as he shuffled along the bench.

It was a long struggle to stuff her stiff forelegs through the hatch, then rear up and lean against the machine gun. Her hat almost fell off, and Flurry held it in place with a burst of magic. She was a very obvious target, awkwardly sticking out of the top of the turret for any sniper to see. Her wings were pinned to her sides.

Flurry’s half-track was seventh in a line of nearly two dozen vehicles, half of them canvas trucks. All of them were Changeling equipment, painted with purple stripes and the Imperial Snowflake scratched over Chrysalis’ pronged crown on the hood.

Flurry saw nothing but low ruins, echoes of houses and families. The weather was brisk, but far too warm for the seasonal snow. It had completely melted and fully exposed the bones of Stalliongrad, all the houses and factories that had been destroyed. The convoy slowed as it approached the center of the city, heading south to the edge of the shield. For a moment, Flurry was lost, imagining the foundations covered completely by snow.

“Princess!” a tiny voice shouted.

Flurry blinked and looked down.

An earth pony filly was running along the side of the road, nimbly leaping over exposed bricks. She was barely more than a foal. “Princess!” she shouted again, trying to be heard over the engine.

Flurry strained her right foreleg to wave awkwardly.

The filly stopped atop of a pile of bricks and waved back with a wild foreleg.

The convoy slowed to a halt in a large square in front of the shell of a ruined building. It was a massive concrete foundation, but Flurry couldn’t even begin to guess what it once was. Parts of the building had been built back up with scraps of wood and loose bricks, resembling an apocalyptic shantytown.

Despite this, the ponies, griffons, and even a few changelings gathered about in apparent cheer, smiling and laughing. The ones waiting in the plaza wore a wild, clashing mix of uniforms, ranging from Stalliongrad to New Marelander. Griffon and pony alike had a purple armband. Some looked professionally made, some were reused scarves, and some were clearly torn bedsheets. They still wore them with clear pride.

“Princess!” a red earth pony shouted, pointing at the alicorn on the half-track. The call was taken up by several others, but the soldiers had enough restraint not to rush the stopped vehicles. “Happy Hearth’s Warming, Princess!” the stallion shouted in a Stalliongrad accent, raising a hoof. The crowd rapidly echoed the greeting. Some propped up colts and fillies on their back to see her better.

It is Hearth’s Warming, Flurry remembered. She stared at the red stallion, also remembering Red Dawn and the body swinging from a low branch. Then she remembered the crunch of the mare’s muzzle against her head. The stallion stood next to a younger griffon, smiling happily and jabbing the female griffon with a foreleg when he noticed Flurry staring at them. The griffon waved.

Flurry waved back slowly, then spotted Spike exiting the truck in the front, cracking his back with a low groan. The long drive was doubtlessly uncomfortable for him, and the dragon flapped his wings to stretch them out. Her soldiers formed a loose cordon around the parked convoy.

Thorax exited and stood beside the half-track. “Flurry!” he shouted up to her, then pointed up with a foreleg. Flurry followed it. The tallest remaining structure in Stalliongrad was a large three-story steel girder, now fashioned as a flag pole. A ragged Imperial Snowflake flew under a burning Crystal Heart, clearly homemade.

“Waste of cloth,” Flurry called down, frowning.

“Not to them,” Thorax called back.

Gold Muffin flew from the crowd, buzzing his wings. The changeling only wore a snow hat and purple scarf. For a moment, some of the guards in the convoy tensed, but Gold Muffin raised his hooves over his head. Flurry’s horn sparked as she tried to summon a shield around him, but she only managed a few golden flickers. She quickly dropped the spell.

Gold Muffin managed to approach and embrace Thorax warmly. “Welcome to Princessyn!” he called up to Flurry. The dual-tones of his voice made the Stalliongrad accent sound even thicker.

“What?” Flurry blinked.

“We renamed it. Or, uh, back to the original name.”

“Why?” she shouted down.

Gold Muffin buzzed his wings to fly up to the turret, but remained a respectful distance away. “It seemed fair to name it after the Miracle of the North, Princess. We could name it Flurrygrad.”

“That’s stupid,” Flurry said flatly.

Gold Muffin licked his fangs, looking incredibly embarrassed.

It was his idea. “I’m sorry,” she apologized. “I don’t care about the name.”

“I’m the last member of the Stalliongrad Soviet,” Gold Muffin admitted. “I was with Thorax when the city fell. We had a few smuggling routes over the border. The city is yours, Princess. Thousands died every winter to the cold. The shield saved them.”

Flurry stared out over the gathered crowd, at least over three thousand. Rainbow flapped her wings with some other pegasi just below the flags, waving her forelegs. She was too far away to tell for certain, but Flurry imagined the mare was probably very drunk.

“Step back,” Flurry ordered Gold Muffin. She inhaled and gave him a side-eye. Gold Muffin wisely landed and stepped away.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming to all of you, my Ponies,” Flurry stated in the full Royal Voice. The half-track rattled and Flurry watched the bullets jump in the belt affixed to the machinegun.

The crowd whinnied in a wild cheer.

“This city,” Flurry voice overpowered the combined noise, “shall remain Stalliongrad, in honor of the heroes that died defending it. Defending you, my ponies, in your darkest hours. I do not need a city named after me to do my duty. I do not need strips of cloth with my mark. Long live Stalliongrad. As long as we live, we have not lost.”

The crowd roared loud enough that Flurry’s ears pinned back. She stayed in the turret for several minutes, waving stiffly and awkwardly until Thorax helped her back down into the half-track. “Is there anything I could possibly say to make them stop?” Flurry muttered to the changeling, laying back down on the seat.

“No,” Thorax chuckled.

Flurry waited until Cranberry squeezed his way past and back into the turret. It was too cramped to bow in the back of the half-track, so the earth pony settled for just sobbing wordlessly at Flurry and trying to hug her. Jadis practically rammed him back and shut the hatch to the front. “That was reckless, Thorax,” she huffed. “Are you sure the area is secure?”

“When the shield came down and stranded what was left of the Hegemony’s garrisons, the Stalliongraders came out of hiding and ran them down as they tried to retreat,” Thorax replied calmly. “They hunted them down in the rubble with the Herzlanders and chased them to the shield. It was a great first impression for everyone.”

Thorax’s tone made something in Flurry’s stomach twist. “Uncle, are you all right?”

“I’m fine, Flurry,” Thorax assured her.

“You’re not fine.”

“Neither are you,” he shrugged.

“I don’t want this to be a war between ponies and changelings,” Flurry repeated.

“It is, Princess,” Thorax disagreed. “There will be a time where I’ll ask you for help, but it isn’t now.”

Flurry shifted her legs. “I don’t understand.”

“You will when I ask.”

Spike stuck his head through the door. “Last leg. Rainbow’s joined up with the scouts.” He gave Flurry a half-lidded look. “That was a bit reckless.”

“It was Thorax’s idea,” Jadis answered.

Spike glanced at the changeling. “Really? Next time, disguise yourself as Flurry and do it, so the sniper takes you out. You’ll survive a headshot, since you apparently lack a brain.” He shut the rear door. The half-track's engine rumbled, and the convoy restarted through the city.

“That was harsh,” Flurry commented.

“We needed to stop and get an update on the shield anyway,” Thorax answered. “I knew there was no way Rainbow was going to keep quiet, nor the Herzlanders. It does everyone some good to see you’ve recovered.”

“She’s hardly recovered,” Jadis snorted. “We should wait.”

“I’m supposed to be able to teleport,” Flurry reminded her, “and fly. It looks worse the longer I make him wait.”

“You look…” Jadis clamped her muzzle shut, unwilling to insult the alicorn.

“I look awful.” Flurry said the words for her.

“Your condition wasn’t a secret in the Crystal City,” Thorax said. “I imagine rumors have spread beyond the shield by this point. Grover was reclusive enough for a time that there were fears he’d been replaced. That cannot happen here.”

His blue eyes bore into Flurry. “Chrysalis claimed your mother was alive for years, along with Twilight. She felt confident enough in the lie to go to Aquileia as Cadance. It is dangerous, but the more ponies see you, the more hope they have that you are real.”

“The Princess of Hope,” Jadis whickered quietly. She rubbed her maimed hoof.

Flurry stared back at Thorax. “You don’t think Twilight is alive,” she guessed.

Thorax closed his eyes. “I want her to be,” he chittered and buzzed his wings. “I really do, but Grover is negotiating because you are the last true Princess of Ponies, no matter what you said in a letter.”

"You think they'll stop cheering if I admit I asked him to marry me?" Flurry asked softly.

Thorax considered it.

"It is clearly a sacrifice," Jadis nickered. "No."

The trio sat in silence until the half-track stopped again. They had been driving over dirt and grass for nearly an hour. Flurry’s ears flicked as Cranberry racked the machinegun. Jadis stepped out through the rear hatch and checked her rifle. She stepped to the side and disappeared from sight as Spike poked his head in again.

“We’re lined up at the edge of the shield, and on the other side is a full battalion of heavy tanks, plus several divisions of knights and dogs. With the Edvald’s griffs and the Stalliongraders, we’re only outnumbered four to one,” the dragon said with false cheer.

“They can’t take weapons across the shield,” Flurry replied. “Or tanks.”

“Do you know about enchanted armor?” Spike asked.

“No.”

“Then they could still rush us.”

“If they can even get through. To do what? Fly up and try to kill me?” Flurry asked. “This is a shit trap.”

Spike bit his lip. “Answer me honestly: If it came to it, could you fly or teleport away?”

Flurry paused. “No.”

“If something happens,” Thorax said, “I’ve told Spike to grab you and fly to Stalliongrad. We have an evacuation route setup.”

“I’m not leaving.”

“I also told Spike to punch you as hard as he can, until either your muzzle or his claw breaks.”

Flurry glared at Spike. “Good luck with that. You couldn’t even knockout Jacques.”

“He’s unnatural,” the dragon said stiffly. “My talons smarted for days.”

“Please, Flurry,” Thorax said. “No arguments. You can try to kill him once you've fully recovered.”

“Fine,” Flurry sighed. “Okay.”

Thorax stared at her.

“Okay!” she replied defensively. “I will leave with Spike. I promise.”

The changeling nodded, satisfied at her honesty.

“Edvald’s got some extra details,” Spike rumbled. “They can’t see you from this angle. You can step out.”

Thorax helped Flurry step down from the rear hatch. The cloth muffled the clicking of her braces. She stretched her large wings, extending the primary feathers and flicking them.

Edvald and Rainbow walked forward from around the front of the half-track. The moment the burgundy griffon saw the Princess, he clasped a claw to his chest. He paused only for a moment, then proceeded behind the half-track, out of sight from the opposing tanks. He was wearing the gray uniform of the Reich, but the color had washed out over time; a strip of purple cloth was tied around his right arm.

He bowed fully with spread wings. Rainbow copied him. "Rise," Flurry said. "Happy Hearth's Warming."

Rainbow swayed. "Happy Hearth's Warming, Princess," she hiccupped.

“Princess, many dogs and griffons,” Edvald said in rough Equestrian.

“Herzlander will be easier,” Flurry said in his native language.

“Just so,” Edvald replied in Herzlander, then stood and pressed his claw against his chest again. “The Kaiser’s personal detachment of guards are present, led by Benito.”

“I know him,” Flurry replied.

“Several knightly orders are also present. We spotted the banners and the Knight-Captains for Hellquill and Longsword, among many other minor chapters.”

“Have you seen Grover?”

“No,” he admitted. “Only the blue griffon named Gallus of Griffonstone.”

Spike didn’t know Herzlander, but recognized the name. “I remember Gallus from Twilight’s school.”

“So do I,” Rainbow wheezed.

“Are you sober enough to be here?” Spike growled.

Impressively, Rainbow actually stood up straight and glared up at Spike with bloodshot magenta eyes. “Yes,” she said in a perfectly clear voice. The pegasus wore a Wonderbolt flight jacket over a sleek, padded jumpsuit.

“Continue,” Flurry requested in Herzlander to Edvald.

“We have two defensive trench lines before the edge of the shield,” Edvald summarized. “You’ll see them immediately. The dogs are known for their tunnels and mining. We’ve been watching and listening, but they haven’t tried to dig under the shield.”

“You sure?”

“Yes,” Edvald said confidently. “They’ve been waiting, fairly nervously.”

“Why?”

“I haven’t seen any Aquileian ponies on their side,” Edvald shrugged. “I don’t know what defenses they have against disguised changelings.”

“There are a few potions and rituals,” Thorax replied in Herzlander. “None of them are easy, and most are native to Zebrica.”

“Anything else?” Flurry asked.

“They haven’t tried to cross over, not even the dogs. If shooting breaks out, aim for the griffons wearing winter coats.” Edvald gestured to his own short-sleeved uniform. “Or the knights.”

“If they attempt an ambush, the Princess is going to Stalliongrad,” Thorax replied.

“Just so,” Edvald agreed. “That was advice for you, good sir.” He glanced at the Princess and bowed again with wings extended. “By your leave.”

“Thorax, Spike, Rainbow, and Edvald,” Flurry stated. “You’re standing with me. Thorax, stick close and tell me if anyone lies.”

“Of course,” Thorax answered and checked his pistol, holstered near his flank. “We’ll go first.” Spike only wore baggy cargo pants. He cracked his neck. The changeling and the dragon walked around the half-track, followed by Edvald. The griffon checked his submachine gun, slung under a wing.

Rainbow touched up her mohawk with a hoof, then grinned at Flurry. “Age before beauty,” she winked, then slipped on a pair of aviator sunglasses from a pocket on her flight jacket. Her metal wing gleamed in the afternoon sun.

Flurry took a deep breath and followed, holding her head up high.

The two defensive trench lines weren’t very wide, but the ponies and griffons propped them with sandbags and Changeling heavy machine guns. Two anti-tank guns sat in embankments on either end, crewed by Herzlanders. Flurry followed Rainbow slowly, making it look as if she was taking her time. She glanced over her shoulder at the line of trucks and half-tracks behind her.

Beyond the shield, it was a very snowy Hearth’s Warming day. A decently strong wind blew snowflakes up against the shield, and they crackled and melted in small sparks. The edge where the shield touched the ground was muddy from the heat and melting snow, but immediately beyond it snowdrifts piled up. The Reich tanks were incredibly large, out-massing Trimmel’s panzers with long barrels and several machinegun ports, painted with orange and yellow stripes on a black hull.

Griffon crews struggled to sweep snow off of them, but most of that activity ceased as a line of knights advanced towards the shield. The metal-clad griffons wore full plate armor, which was either relics or enchanted to resist small-arms fire, and plunged their claws and paws into the snow, standing at attention with flared wings. The tank crews climbed back down with flapping wings, or crawled into hatches, shouting commands. The knights stood impassively as the snow gathered on their armor.

The armor’s big enough that they could be shivering, Flurry snorted. No one could tell.

A short blue griffon wearing a heavy black leather coat sat in the snow ahead of them, holding a megaphone in one claw and puffing his breath into the other. He was wearing black boots, black gloves, and black pants, but Flurry and her group stopped too far away to see his expression.

The griffon looked up and registered the tall pony standing in the middle of the diverse group. The griffon rubbed his yellow beak with a glove before lifting up the megaphone. “Princess Flurry Heart?” he shouted.

“Can you tell if someone is lying this far away?” Flurry asked Thorax.

“No, Princess.”

“You can shout back easily,” Spike replied.

“Yes, but that’s rude.” There was a plank of wood serving as a bridge across the second trench.

“You’re concerned about being rude?” Spike scoffed.

Flurry stepped forward and slowly walked over the wooden plank, listening as it creaked under her weight. Everyone else flapped their wings and hopped over. The alicorn nodded down at her soldiers in the trench, who either stomped a hoof into the frozen mud or beat a claw to their chests.

She stopped between the two trenches. “You need to be closer,” she said to Thorax.

He bit his lip with a fang. “Yes.”

“No,” Spike countered.

Flurry walked over the next wooden plank before an argument could erupt. She stopped just after crossing. The alicorn was close enough to Gallus that she could make out his expression. He was blinking rapidly in the snow, more focused on Rainbow and Spike than her, but realized that she was staring at him and raised the megaphone again.

“Princess Flurry Heart?” Gallus asked with nervous blue eyes.

Gallus of Griffonstone,” she called back, not putting her full power into the Royal Voice. “You went to the School of Friendship with my aunt.”

Gallus paused. “Yes, that is why I’m here,” he said in Equestrian.

“You have a rank, Gallus?” Rainbow shouted in her drill-instructor voice. “You finally make something of yourself?”

“I am an advisor to the Kaiser of the Griffonian Reich,” Gallus called back.

“Really? That doesn’t sound like an actual thing!” Rainbow said mockingly. “You don’t need to make up titles to impress me, Gallus!”

“Rainbow,” Spike growled under his breath.

“Gilda’s fine, Rainbow!” Gallus shouted. “She’s a pilot now. She’s in Manehattan.”

Rainbow didn’t answer, and Flurry glanced at her out of the corner of her eye. The pegasus stood very still, breathing shallowly. Flurry returned to Gallus. “Why are you here, Gallus of Griffonstone?”

“The Kaiser asked me to be here. Are you Princess Flurry Heart?”

Flurry raised her wings. “Who else would I be?”

“A changeling,” Gallus answered. “You stand next to one, after all.”

“This is a trick to get you to come closer,” Thorax said quietly.

“What could I say to convince you?” Flurry asked.

“You could step through the shield,” Gallus suggested. “We have seen it burn changelings.”

Are you a changeling?” Flurry countered. “Step through it yourself.”

Gallus hesitated. “I asked first,” he said weakly.

My griffons pass through fine,” Flurry shrugged, “as long as you carry no weapons.”

Gallus looked back at the line of knights behind him and nervously took a step forward.

“He’ll be fine, right?” Rainbow asked.

“I have no idea,” Flurry admitted. She glanced at Rainbow and saw her concerningly looking towards Gallus and nibbling her lower lip. Gallus slowly walked forwards. As he reached the edge of the shield, the blue griffon stretched out a claw and closed his eyes.

Shit. Wait,” Flurry called out. She trotted forward as quickly as she could.

“Princess!” Spike hissed under his breath and advanced after her. The others followed.

Flurry stopped several body lengths away from Gallus, standing on dead grass. “I don’t know if the shield will kill you, but best not risk it. Twilight would never forgive me.”

“Thank you, Princess,” Gallus said quietly. Flurry had to strain her ears to hear it.

“Is Grover here?” Flurry called out.

Gallus stared at Flurry silently, then gestured with a claw over his shoulder. Spike tensed beside the alicorn. A gray dog's head appeared over the shoulders of two of the knights.

Benito. A paw raised in a signal.

Gallus looked back apologetically. “I’m sorry, Princess,” he muttered.

Flurry’s heart skipped a beat. No.

“This is going to be very annoying,” Gallus continued muttering, then raised his megaphone up to his beak.

“Grover von Greifenstein, sixth of his name, Kaiser of the Griffonian Reich!” Gallus shouted through the megaphone in Equestrian. “King of Vedina, King of Cloudbury, King of Aquileia, King of Wingbardy, Grand Prince of the Evi Valley!” He stopped to take a breath. “Chosen of Boreas, Arcturius, and Eyr! The Kaiser of Griffonkind!”

Several trumpets sounded from behind the line of knights, and a tank fired off a colored firework shell. It lit up the sky in a bright flare to the south. Several of the dog divisions howled while the knights pounded their chest plates and screeched.

Flurry and her group watched the display expressionlessly. Gallus lowered the megaphone and rolled his eyes as subtly as he could. “None of you say a word,” Flurry said under the noise from beyond the shield. Rainbow bit down on her lip hard enough to draw blood, shaking with muffled laughter.

“Before or after,” Flurry continued, “and plug your ears.” Edvald turned back and gestured a claw, giving a signal that was passed along the trench line. Flurry waited in silence until the noise stopped from beyond the shield. She took a breath.

“I am the Princess of Ponies.” Her voice echoed and rippled across the pink shield. Brief bursts of blue flames crackled into existence along the surface, then dissipated. Gallus took a step back on reflex.

Behind him, the line of knights parted and a gray dog wearing a heavy winter coat stepped through, followed by a tall griffon. Benito still wore his ceremonial saber on one hip and a pistol on the other. He kept one paw on the sheath as he approached in heavy black boots. The dog’s gray muzzle had whitened with age, but his brown eyes were still sharp. He eyed the dragon and the changeling warily.

Flurry only recognized the griffon from pictures. Grover VI wore a fur-lined black long coat with a high collar, partially open to expose a grey dress shirt and orange sash. The sash was covered in medals. He wore black boots and gloves, walking on all fours through the snow with his tan wings folded against the coat. Grover’s beak was no longer too large for his head, and thin, wire-framed glasses perched atop his beak and hooked into darker tan feathers swept back under his crown.

His bright blue eyes paused on Flurry for a heartbeat, then swept over her followers and the defensive line. His beak was still. He was wearing the Reichstone; the heavy golden crown had gathered a thin layer of snow, but the jewels were still visible. Benito and Grover stopped beside Gallus, perhaps three body lengths away from the edge of the shield, just before the ground turned muddy. Grover brushed some snow off his right sleeve with a casual swipe of his glove.

They stood closer to the shield than Flurry. She stepped forward, listening to the muffled clicking of her braces. “Flurry,” Spike hissed softly.

“He’s in far more danger than I am,” Flurry whispered from the side of her muzzle. Thorax, Rainbow, and Edvald followed without complaint or objection. Flurry stopped several hooves away from the pink wall, watching the wind blow snowflakes against it.

The Princess and the Kaiser stared at each other.

“I shall speak in Equestrian,” Grover said in a careful, received pronunciation, “so there will be no misunderstandings.”

“Herzlander is perfectly fine,” Flurry replied in his language. “I try to learn the languages of all my subjects,” she echoed.

Grover’s beak twitched slightly. “Do you, Princess of Ponies?” he said in Herzlander. “I was under the impression that every alicorn was awarded that title for simply existing.”

“Not all alicorns deserve it,” Flurry replied.

“You no longer claim Equestria or the Crystal Empire then?”

“Words are wind, so the Herzlanders say. I do not need words to claim what is mine by right.” Flurry raised her left wing and swept it towards the shield.

“I see a large wall of magic that is preventing either of us from advancing,” Grover replied.

“My ponies see hope.”

“Your ponies are trying very hard not to be liberated,” Grover answered. “They assault my supply lines, attack my garrisons, and loot my equipment. They attack the Reich and Hegemony alike. Your radio address has done more to hurt them than help.”

“Why should they believe you are here to help them, Kaiser? Because you claim it?”

“Yes,” Grover said bluntly.

Flurry glanced at Thorax, but the changeling just shrugged a gossamer wing, mouthing, “Too vague.”

The alicorn clicked her tongue. “You claimed you wanted to help your subjects, too. That griffons could leave if they wish, then your army chased them off the continent.”

“Rebels and Terrorists.” Grover clacked his beak in return. “I have heard stories that the lampposts and balconies of the Empire swing with the dead.”

“How’s my accent?” Flurry asked suddenly, tilting her head.

Grover blinked. “Katerin,” he said.

“I learned your language from a griffon from Katerin,” Flurry nodded. “Her name is Katherine. You had her entire family arrested for what? Socialism? Communism? They were peasants. They were no threat to you.”

“Revolutions grow from small seeds, Princess of Ponies. You stand just outside the result.”

“I stand outside a city flying my mark,” Flurry refuted. “Katherine would like me to kill you.”

Benito’s paw tightened around his saber and Gallus swallowed. Grover looked unimpressed, but he brushed his long coat back to reveal a holstered pistol. “I see. Do you take orders from your subjects?”

“She held a gun to my head,” Flurry said shamelessly, “on the final night of your bombing. My griffons are terrified I will make a deal with you and sacrifice them.”

“Your griffons? As the Kaiser of Griffonkind, am I expected to ignore the millions of griffons under your spell?”

“Yes,” Flurry said bluntly, “and I will ignore the millions of Aquileians and the ponies of the Borderlands.”

Grover snapped his beak and raised a claw to his chin, rubbing away some snow. He squinted at her, then pulled a piece of paper from his jacket and carefully unfolded it. It appeared to be blank, but his eyes scanned over the page. “You threatened to blow up my home.”

“I said I would kill you,” Flurry corrected.

“You should not make that claim in front of my guards or my knights,” Grover warned.

“It’s not a claim,” Flurry replied bluntly. “I was preparing to fly to Griffenheim and burn it to the ground the night your bombers turned away. You cut it very close.”

Grover scanned over the group, looking from Throax, then Spike and Rainbow, and settled on Edvald. “You are wearing a Reichsarmee uniform," he observed. "Not a high-ranking one, at that.”

Edvald looked to Flurry. She nodded. “Cloth is a valuable commodity,” Edvald answered in Herzlander.

“It is traditional for a griffon to bow before the Kaiser,” Benito growled. His voice was a deep, reverberating baritone.

Edvald swallowed and placed his talons flush against the earth. “I serve the Princess.”

“The Princess of Ponies,” Grover clarified. “Do you believe she cares for you? Do you know how many griffons she has killed?”

“She is far kinder than you ever were,” Edvald snapped. “You drove thousands of your subjects into the sea. We loved you and you spat on us from your palace.”

Benito snarled and drew his saber.

“At peace, Benito,” Grover said calmly. His eyes were hard. “My navy and air force screech for your horn, Princess.”

“I imagine they do. Why have you come here, in that case?”

“You made an offer, Princess of Ponies.” Grover raised a wing to shelter the paper from the falling snow. “The subordination of Equestria and the Crystal Empire in exchange for Nova Griffonia.”

“That is not what I offered,” Flurry stated.

“Among other things,” Grover said vaguely. He gave a pointed look at her followers. “You have not announced anything.”

“Neither have you,” Flurry answered. She stepped forward closer to the edge of the shield, waving her wing to keep her group back. “I can only imagine how your griffons will screech when they hear you have come to see your bride,” she said softly in Equestrian.

Grover’s eyes flicked over her group. Spike and Rainbow tensed. Thorax and Edvald remained impassive. Flurry looked at Gallus, who didn’t appear shocked, then Benito, who just looked upset and snarled at the alicorn. Standing on his hind legs, he was slightly taller than Flurry.

I’m taller than Grover, Flurry realized with a smirk. Of course I am, I’m a long-legged freak. “I’m happy to see you, Benito,” Flurry said with genuine honesty. “I’m glad you’re alright.”

“You threaten to kill my Kaiser then pour honeyed words into my ears,” Benito barked.

“I remember that you helped me escape,” Flurry replied. “Thank you.” She dipped her head, and her cap nearly fell off. She brought her head up quickly and clamped down on it in a flicker of golden magic. “How is Bronzetail?" she asked to Grover. "You were going to promote him.”

“Dead,” Grover answered. His eyes looked to Thorax. “He was in charge of the amphibious landing at Nouveau Aquila. You killed him.”

Flurry’s stomach sank.

“Liar,” Thorax hissed and marched forward.

“You trust the word of a changeling?” Grover asked.

Flurry bared her teeth at him. “Far more than you. If you lie to me again, I will step through the shield and tear your head off.” She said it loudly, loud enough for the knights to raise their machine guns or draw blades. Gallus slunk to the side, holding the megaphone in his claws.

“You would not survive the attempt.” Grover raised his wings and waved them. The knights stepped back and away from the shield. “Field Marshal Bronzetail is in Manehattan. It is the only port I fully control. Your ponies have done everything in their power to resist my soldiers. While we stand here, they attack my supply lines. If I did not know better, I would believe they prefer Chrysalis.”

“You couldn’t even get a pony on the radio to scream your praises.”

“Wind Rider offered,” Grover replied.

Flurry whinnied in laughter. “The pegasus supremacist? That’s who you’ve allied with?”

“He had the most militias ready, and was willing to cooperate.”

“He sucked Lilac’s cock for years,” Flurry said bluntly in Equestrian. “You’re allying with the ponies that sold out Equestria. No wonder you’re losing.”

Grover either blushed at the profanity, or flushed in anger. “I am not losing.”

“Starlight made it farther in half the time with salvaged equipment.”

“Starlight Glimmer lost.”

Flurry smirked. "She did."

“I am not the one hiding behind a shield,” Grover stated. His tone evened out. “You speak of coming for your ponies, but how long will that take? You have nothing. Chrysalis has her core of veterans, an army that dwarfs yours tenfold. Wars are not won by hope.”

“I need your army,” Flurry admitted. “And you need me.”

“I do not need you,” Grover countered. “I can let you sit behind this shield while I liberate your home. The ponies will know it was griffons that saved them, not their so-called Princess. You are free to sit on the radio and make speeches, Princess of Ponies.”

Flurry ground her teeth. “You’ve already admitted they won’t be grateful. I can wait behind this shield until the River Federation attacks the Reich.”

“Chancellor River Swirl can barely keep Parliament from voting her out,” Grover scoffed. “The communists gain numbers every year, and the dogs of Diamond Mountain oppose every policy. The old nobility of Wittenland whinny from their mountains while Lake City and Bakara run against her mandate. They will never attack.”

“Not now,” Flurry agreed, “but what about in two years? As your army wastes away in the fields of Equestria and the snow of the Empire? Chrysalis could not hold the continent, nor can you.”

“I have tried a soft claw,” Grover said in a low growl. His voice cracked slightly. “I have offered a claw in friendship. I offered it to you.”

“On the wings of a terrified student,” Flurry replied. “What happened to Frederick?”

“Who?” Grover asked blithely.

Thorax hissed.

“Frederick Sharp. You know his name. I told you to let him go.”

“What will you do if I said I had him executed?” Grover asked. “Will you step through this shield and kill me?”

“I will walk away,” Flurry said. “Fight your war as you wish.”

“I can win it without you,” Grover claimed. “I have tried to be generous, but I can easily order my garrisons to begin executions. It would be a harsh Hearth’s Warming present, for ponies to know that their Princess abandoned them. You have killed thousands of my soldiers. I could repay you with civilian blood.”

“That won’t work on me,” Flurry said quietly. “Others have tried. What happened to Frederick?”

Grover stared at Flurry, then over to Thorax and looked the changeling in the eye. “I released his entire family. I let them go without charges. I let him go, even though he defied my orders.”

Flurry glanced at Thorax. The changeling nodded.

Grover rolled his eyes and wiped snow off his glasses with a cloth. “They repaid my mercy by flying to the River Federation and lying about how badly I tortured them. I did nothing. Their accommodations were far better than most.”

“You did torture him,” Flurry accused. “You threatened to kill his entire family if he failed.”

“Words are wind,” Grover scoffed.

“Did you mean them?”

“Did you mean your words?” Grover asked back. “You offered a great deal.”

“Yes,” Flurry said. “Answer my question, Kaiser of the Reich.”

Grover stared at Flurry for a long time as snowflakes burst into little sparks against the shield. He looked to Thorax. “Yes.”

Flurry turned her head to look at the changeling. Thorax hesitated, but nodded after a moment. “He guards himself well, Princess, but he is honest.”

“Good,” Flurry replied.

“I offered you a chance to save your home, and you threw it aside for one griffon?” Grover asked in Equestrian.

“I threw it aside for my griffons,” Flurry clarified in Equestrian. “For the Aquileians and Herzlanders and Nova Griffonians that would’ve died fighting you. They are my ponies in all but name. You will never have them.”

“You offered marriage,” Grover said bluntly in Herzlander.

“I did,” Flurry confirmed in Herzlander. “With my hoof in marriage, you will have an ally and the legitimacy you badly need to end this war quickly. When the war is done, there will be no power on the planet that could oppose you.”

“Ponies and griffons cannot have cubs,” Grover countered. “That may not be a difficulty for you, Princess, but I have no reason to end my line.”

“Your grandfather was known for his consorts. I may not be immortal either.”

“Grover IV was a glutton that sowed the wind that nearly cast down my father,” Grover replied. “He installed a mirror on the roof of the bedchamber so he could watch his conquests.”

Benito coughed.

“I have no desire to repeat his mistakes,” Grover finished.

“It is a mistake to marry me?” Flurry chuckled. “You are blessed by Boreas, are you not? What better proof than marrying an alicorn? The only natural born alicorn in history?”

“Alicorns are nothing to the Gods,” Grover countered. “Our Gods raise the sun.”

Flurry gave him a look through the shield. “Equestria will be dependent on foreign aid to rebuild, so will the Crystal Empire. I can promise oil fields, gems, and crystals. Magical healing is far quicker and more effective than your best hospitals. Aquileia’s standard of living was better than the Reich’s for that reason.”

“You have not told your army about your desperate offer,” Grover guessed.

“Neither have you,” Flurry retorted. “I imagine it may spur the River Federation to attack, or for your griffons to revolt. Regardless, alliances are sealed in marriage between nobility. That is true for griffons and ponies alike.”

“You have admitted your griffons are afraid you will surrender them.”

“I will not give them up, and you will confirm it.”

“You do not make demands of the Kaiser,” Benito snarled.

“Benito!” Grover squawked. “Back to the line!”

“My Kaiser?” Benito whimpered and took his paw away from his saber.

“Do so immediately,” Grover continued. “Gallus, remain.”

The blue griffon nodded and huffed in the cold. Benito gave a withering look to Grover, but slowly trudged back. He walked backwards, eyes on Flurry Heart and a paw on his saber.

“Marriage is a sacred union for griffons,” Grover began. “I have been told herding is not as common as the stereotypes claim, but you surely understand monogamy.”

“Worry about your lineage, not me. I don’t care if you have a mistress to further your line,” Flurry whickered. “Surely a political union is not a difficult concept for most to accept. My ponies will understand in time.”

“Griffons expect the wife to follow the husband’s wings.”

“You can be on top,” Flurry offered. “I’m a bit bigger anyway, and that’s the normal position.”

The Kaiser choked on his reply. Gallus squawked. On her side of the shield, Spike huffed a short burst of flame, understanding some of what she said. Edvald coughed into a claw. Thorax heaved a chittering sigh.

Rainbow blinked. “Was something funny?" she asked in Equestrian. "Gilda didn’t bother teaching me shit.”

“You have a coarse tongue, Princess,” Grover managed.

“I certainly hope not,” Flurry said with high-pitched sweetness. “That will make things difficult. Beaks don't seem too practical in the bedroom.”

Grover pinched his beak. “Marriage is a sacred union, blessed by the Gods. Regardless of political reasons, we will be expected to share a bed on the night of the wedding. It is traditional.”

“Oh,” Flurry replied and squinted. “Do griffons like to watch?”

“There used to be an audience to make sure the marriage was consummated.”

“There’s an audience right now, if you wish. It’s very cold on your side. Can you preform?”

Grover stamped his claw into the snow. “You mock me,” he snarled. “I kept to my agreement. I promised to help you. You spat on my beak.”

“I will lift my tail as often as you like if it means my ponies will be free,” Flurry answered evenly. “Equestria and the Crystal Empire are mine, to govern as I please. Nova Griffonia no longer exists.”

“What do I get for this alliance,” Grover asked, “aside from vague promises? Marriage or death was your offer.”

“It worked for Guinevere,” Flurry shrugged.

“The Aquileians are wrong. She begged Grover II, on her knees.”

“I’m not one to beg.”

“Even to save your ponies?” Grover asked. His blue eyes burned.

“We need each other’s help to end this, or our empires will die together.”

Grover didn’t reply.

“You swore to Maar you’d help me,” Flurry prompted him, “and so you get Maar’s Daughter as a bride. You get something none of your ancestors ever had.”

“My ancestors did not dream of alicorns.”

“Since our species first met, we’ve fought each other. You get a Princess to bow to you and acknowledge the Reich. Grover the Great never managed that.”

“I am not marrying you in a snowdrift,” Grover spat. “Griffons will cry that you have cast a curse upon me, like with Hellcrest.”

“I didn’t do anything to him.”

“Really?” Grover scoffed. “He flew all the way to Griffenheim on bloody wings, but I was in Feathisia, overseeing the Roland in drydock. You destroyed the Artur and killed thousands of my Griffons.”

“It sank quickly,” Flurry answered.

“He died on the dock, stumbling up to me with a letter in his claw and screeching of a curse as his heart gave out. He said you cursed him to make his heart explode if he failed to deliver the letter.”

“I cast the changeling detection spell and bluffed,” Flurry replied with a slight shrug. “I teleported him halfway there to give him a hoof. He was a poor admiral anyway. I thought captains were meant to go down with the ship?”

Grover coughed, and it sounded like he was suppressing a chuckle. He brushed more falling snow off his sleeves, but the Reichstone was now more white than gold. The griffon shook his head.

“You will announce that you have reached an agreement with the Kaiser of the Griffonian Reich,” Grover stated, “I will cede you the territory of Nova Griffonia, and you will confirm your support of my army to defeat Chrysalis.”

“That’s very generous of you, Kaiser Grover.”

“The River Federation will panic if you announced our marriage, and it is trouble I do not need,” Grover admitted flippantly, as if an invasion of his home territory would be a nuisance at worst. “You will announce our marriage at the war’s end, and you will fly to Griffenheim and marry me before the Archons. It will be a griffon marriage.”

“Fine,” Flurry agreed. “The Principality of Equestria and the Crystal Empire are mine, to govern as I please.”

“Within reason,” Grover countered. “Your lands are in shambles. Our industry will grow rich off rebuilding it for you.”

“I am fully aware my home will be your puppet,” Flurry snarled, “but I will not. They are my subjects, and you will confirm that.”

“I will,” Grover shrugged a wing. “If you can keep control of them.”

“Can you keep control of yours?” Flurry retorted. “Don’t they screech for my horn?”

“It will be dealt with,” Grover replied.

“And I will deal with mine.”

“Start with Manehattan," Grover said. "Bronzetail spent a short time there during the rebellion, but he struggles with the boroughs.”

“You made a deal with Wind Rider,” Flurry whickered.

“He’s your subject. You deal with him.”

“I will,” Flurry smiled, “but he lost the right to call himself one of my ponies the day he marched up to Lilac.”

Grover laughed bitterly. It was a short, screeching laugh. “And you condemn what I did?”

“To protestors and loyal griffons,” Flurry answered. “Katherine and her family loved you.”

“They were not protestors; they were terrorists, fed by Kemerskai to lead another revolution.”

“Kemerskai couldn’t tie shoelaces together,” Flurry snorted. “I don’t need Thorax to tell me that’s a lie.”

“How many of your subjects have you killed?” Grover asked. “Or are they simply not your subjects because they refuse you?”

Flurry took a breath. “Like my griffons refused you, Kaiser? If you cannot see the difference between the griffons behind me and Wind Rider, you are truly lost.”

Grover stared past Flurry, to the trench line, then to Edvald standing behind her. His claw brushed against his holstered pistol, then he flapped his long coat closed. He stared slightly up at Flurry Heart. “I doubt your forces have sufficient fighting strength to make a difference. They will support my advance, manage the weather, and help the supply lines.”

“You underestimate them.”

“Starlight Glimmer fought with disorganized militia and lost everything. I will not weaken my army by relying on yours in combat. They will provide support, in peace and war.”

“Fine,” Flurry agreed. “I said that anyway in the letter.”

“I will not specify demands standing in a snowdrift,” Grover scoffed, “but Reich goods will not be tariffed, amongst many other things.”

“I’m stupid,” Flurry shrugged. “Write down a list and I’ll run it through my friends. When do you want me in Manehattan?”

Grover paused. “Is tomorrow not sufficient, Princess?” He was close enough to see some of the patches on her muzzle. Flurry looked down at her legs, but the boots and pants covered the braces.

“Four days,” Flurry deflected. “I’ll announce an alliance from Manehattan Radio.”

“Field Marshal Elias will speak in my name with you,” Grover added. “A ceasefire to focus on the true threat of Chrysalis. The River Federation dare not attack at that. They may claim our reports of labor camps and starving ponies are exaggerated, but Celestia is too dear to River Swirl.”

He is worried about the border, Flurry realized.

He looked past her towards Rainbow Dash. “The Element of Generosity is currently in a cell with several associates. She refused to speak for my invasion, and I suspect her word may be detrimental. She made uniforms for Chrysalis’ army.”

“I will deal with her,” Flurry said, “and the others.” She nodded back to Rainbow.

“So be it. They are your subjects,” Grover confirmed. He sat on his haunches in the snow. “I, Grover von Greifenstein, sixth of my name and the Kaiser of Griffonkind, accept your proposal, Princess of Ponies.”

In more ways than one, Flurry thought. “I, Flurry Heart, the Princess of Ponies, will honor our agreement.”

Grover removed his glove from his right claw and thrust his arm forward in an offered clawshake.

Flurry stared at the shield wall between them. Grover’s bright blue eyes smirked as he sat with folded wings. She thought of Kemerskai looking down at her dirty, disheveled feathers in the Capitol. Gallus stood behind the Kaiser with the megaphone, flapping his wings nervously.

“As we say, words are wind,” Grover commented. “I suppose you do not have to shake my claw if you do not wish to.”

“It’s a challenge to make you come to him,” Thorax whispered.

“It’s a trap,” Spike agreed.

“A trap to show weakness, perhaps,” Flurry said softly. She looked over her shoulder to Rainbow and Edvald, then the trench line and vehicles behind them. The soldiers were tense, and had watched the entire exchange with weapons at the ready.

Flurry stared back at Grover, waiting with an outstretched claw. She lowered her head and raised a wing, taking off her cap and tucking it underneath her folded wing. The wind would blow it way. Then, she pulled off her front right boot with a weak magic field and set it on the ground. The alicorn rolled up her sleeve to fully expose the metal brace along her leg.

“Flurry, no,” Spike said. He put a claw on her shoulder to hold her back.

“That shows more weakness than anything I could do,” Flurry said quietly. “Let go and stay behind. You think he’ll kill me, uncle?”

“No, because there’s no way he’ll fly fast enough to outrun Spike,” Thorax answered. “Or Rainbow. Or me.”

Spike released her and Flurry walked forward. Her leg brace clicked quietly until she stopped at the edge of the shield. The ground beyond was muddy for several hoof lengths from the melted snow. Flurry slowly raised her leg and hobbled forward on three hooves.

Flurry passed through the shield, and felt the temperature abruptly drop. The wind brushed snowflakes onto her thin patches of fur. They melted against the skin and itched. Her purple and blue mane stubble was too short to sway in the wind, but gathered melting snowflakes. Her boots were sucked down into the mud, and it took Flurry several moments to pull her stiff legs free and keep going. She flared her wings out for balance, feeling the strain in her muscles.

Grover’s beak twitched downwards and his claw lowered marginally. He stared blankly at her as she stumbled through the snow up to him. Benito stomped up through the snow behind the Kaiser, while the line of knights readied their guns. Grover’s head snapped away from the approaching Princess and he glared behind him. Benito stopped dead and the knights lowered their guns.

Flurry reached Grover and extended her hoof. Her leg brace clicked louder than the wind. Grover accepted the hoof and gently shook it up and down. His talons tapped against the metal.

When he sat on his haunches, Flurry and Grover’s eyes were equal. His black winter coat made appear him bulkier than he truly was, and his tan cheek fur still had a bit of a dimple. The glasses actually made him look a bit older. Grover looked above Flurry’s eyes, staring at her rough stubble and patches, then made eye contact with her bloodshot eyes.

“Are you all right?” he asked. His voice cracked, no longer as deep and authoritative.

“Don’t worry,” Flurry assured him in Herzlander. “At the rate your army is advancing, it will have grown back by the wedding.”

Grover blinked and his blue eyes sharpened. “That depends on your ponies, Princess,” he said in a deeper voice. He let go of Flurry’s hoof. “I need my supply lines.”

Flurry nodded. “You’ll get them.” She slowly turned around and trudged back through the snow, then went through the shield horn first. The alicorn was mildly surprised she wasn’t shot in the back. She set her hooves down on dead grass and shook the mud from her boots, then walked up to Spike, Thorax, Rainbow, and Edvald.

“That went well,” Rainbow said cheerfully. “I have no idea what you were saying to him, but everyone’s alive.”

Flurry pulled on her boot. “I need to work on flight lessons. We have a trip to Manehattan.”

“I’m going,” Spike said.

“You’re staying to help manage the Empire, so is Thorax. I’m taking Rainbow and some scouts.”

“What are we doing in Manehattan?” Rainbow asked.

“We’re going to kill Wind Rider,” Flurry answered, “and announce we’re fighting Chrysalis with the Reich.”

Rainbow smiled gleefully. “Awesome.”

Edvald turned to the trench line. “The Princess has spoken!” he screeched in Herzlander. He beat his fist against his breast three times, and the soldiers in the trench echoed it. The soldiers in the turrets on the half-tracks pounded against the metal.

Flurry looked over her shoulder as she replaced her cap. Grover had tugged his glove back on and walked back with Gallus and Benito. The knights moved to encircle them and block them from view before they disappeared behind the line of tanks. At the last moment, Grover stuck his head up and looked back over his shoulder. He stared back towards Flurry.

The Princess and the Kaiser were too far away to make out each other’s expressions.

They both looked back down and kept walking away.

PreviousChapters Next