• Published 9th Jun 2022
  • 11,264 Views, 2,920 Comments

The Princess and the Kaiser - UnknownError



Princess Flurry Heart of the Crystal Empire and Kaiser Grover VI of the Griffonian Reich meet. They will reclaim their empires, no matter the cost.

  • ...
27
 2,920
 11,264

PreviousChapters Next
Part Eighty-Nine

“Fight the Hegemony!”

Princess Twilight Sparkle’s muzzle froze, proud and defiant. She stood straight, legs shimmering into vague purple trails above a frail crystal fastened to a mount. Her eyes, despite the bags under them, sparkled.

That could just be the projection, Grover admitted to himself. He leaned against the balcony railing, craning his neck to see the cameras to his left and right on the other balconies. The film crews had stopped and replaced their lens caps, slowly and carefully spooling the reels back. Below him, the director squawked commands to the film crew on the ballroom floor. They rapidly moved their tripods and microphones, trailing the cords across the room behind bobbing tails.

The photographers followed, setting themselves up atop cramped tables, pushed to the sides of the walls and under the balconies. Cameras flashed as half a dozen griffons took the opportunity of Twilight’s stiff and still pose to take pictures. Grover lowered his head, careful not to tip too far forward and dislodge the Reichstone.

“Again!” he called out in Herzlander. “I want every angle!”

“My Kaiser!” the director, a slim griffoness, squawked up with a snapped claw. It pointed at the film crews on the other balconies and she screeched a clipped whistle. They began to shuffle through their equipment for new reels of film.

Grover pushed himself off the balcony and settled onto the cushions. He flipped open his folder with a claw, but then left it on the rug. Out of sight from the railing, he removed the Reichstone and cracked his neck. He set it down on the floor beside him; it gathered a thin layer of dust from the rug.

The Kaiser heard Benito shuffle his boots in distress at the supposed sacrilege. “How many times was that?” he asked over a wing, partially turning his beak and looking over the rim of his glasses.

“Seven,” the blurry dog answered from the balcony door. He still wore one glove on a paw, attempting to hide the sutures and shaved fur. Grover ignored it.

“We will go for an even eight,” Grover decided. He inspected his talons self-consciously; he had clipped the ends several days ago so they weren’t too sharp, but he was still able to spear a page from his folder with a quick jab.

“Princess!” a voice called out from below. Twilight Sparkle vanished as the spell reset; the large mare disappeared from the center of the ballroom. Without her voice ringing through the east wing, the muffled sounds of hammers and saws reverberated through the walls.

“Princess!” two other voices picked up. Grover could tell by the accents they were the Equestrian delegation with their precious little crystal, and it was obvious what they were reacting to. There was a knock on the balcony’s private door.

Benito opened it and spoke briefly to the unicorn and dog in the hallway. Grover tuned out the conversation and flipped through the reports from the advancing frontline. The Reichsarmee wasn’t making as much progress as he hoped, too bogged down in glorified slums that the Changelings had stuffed full of the outlying villagers.

Like the Griffonian Reich, Equestria was decentralized. Unlike the Reich, it did not shatter into pieces that built themselves up over a generation to start stabbing each other again. A thousand years of the ‘Pax Celestia’ meant a thousand years of little towns and villages under nominal crown control. The roads were a nightmare, even the roads in the Equestrian Heartland. It had choked the Changelings, and now it was choking his army. The southeast was far, far worse.

We are going to be rich. Engineering teams had already done some of the work, but the crown corporations of Griffonia were already eyeing up Equestria to tear it into fiefdoms and rebuild. A decade of Changeling extraction wasn’t enough to destroy the forests, farms, and fields, and certainly not the mines and oil wells. Equestria was an empire rich in resources that the alicorns guarded jealously, and the current alicorn was willing to sell it all to save her ponies. It might be a stereotype, but we are greedy.

There had been less enthusiasm from the top corporations after the first newspapers of the Battle of Canterlot landed on the streets of the Reich. Kaiser Grover VI was the front page, but news traveled on wings faster than words. Everyone knew there was a giant crater where a forest used to be, and the Princess of Ponies was still alive.

And apparently waiting downstairs again, Grover sighed. He knocked the Reichstone over and let it thump to the rug, then tugged on the padding. “Send her up,” he squawked loudly over a wing.

Benito twisted around in the doorway. His whiskers twitched. “She’s, uh, wearing sweatpants, my Kaiser. Again.”

“Do you seriously wish to turn her away for décor in her own castle?” Grover asked back. “The others attended court naked except for carcanets and crowns.”

“It is an insult,” Countess Raison whickered. The Aquileian unicorn looked indignant in her dress uniform. Her horn sparked in the hallway as she stood beside two dog guards.

You should hear what the Herzlanders say about Aquileians, but Grover kept that to himself. Doubtlessly, the countess heard the same stories in the Discret court before she fled in exile. The pony minority in Aquileia was sensitive to their standing in the Reich, no matter what the new laws promised. Holding their horns high over Equestrians was no different than a Wingbardian squawking at a Herzlander.

“Send her up,” Grover repeated. You think she will not just fly up? He looked to the balcony. The projection had not restarted yet.

“My Kaiser,” Benito acknowledged. He waved his gloved paw at the countess until she retreated and waited by the door. Several moments later, a wave of golden magic pulsed through the room. Several of the griffons working with the cameras squawked indignantly and hurried to reset them.

Grover eyed his feathers; they puffed up instinctively from the feeling, so he flapped and refolded his wings. The Princess’ magic was odd. It blew hot and cold, and he could not figure out if there was a pattern. It was gold, then blue, then gold again. Nothing about her makes sense.

Benito stepped aside in the doorway with a paw on the hilt of his saber. Grover did not turn around to see Flurry Heart enter, nor did he move from the cushion. At the last moment, he tipped the Reichstone upright and shoved it back on his head after smoothing his tan head feathers down with a claw.

There was a rustle of feathers as the Princess folded her oversized wings to squeeze past Benito. Grover waited. Judging from the lack of hoofsteps, she did not approach further.

“Kaiser Grover,” she stated in Herzlander. She pronounced the title roughly, like a peasant from Katerin. It was hardly a noble accent, unlike her Aquileian. “Am I interrupting something?”

“Princess,” Grover acknowledged. “You always do, but it is your castle.”

“Not until I’m coronated,” she returned. The sounds of hammers and saws reverberated through the walls and under her soft voice.

“Is there something you want?” Grover asked. “I am busy.”

“Gallus told me you refused.”

“I declined,” Grover corrected. He knew what she meant, but he did not say more.

“We need to move the Changeling prisoners east,” the Princess answered. “Civilians as well.”

“Just so,” Grover replied. “Do so. Your forces control several railways and supply lines.”

There was a rustle of feathers against velcro, probably her sweatpants. “I’d like to get support units set up. Your unicorns still cast the detection spell poorly.”

“Is that why you blasted magic through the ballroom?”

“Has Benito killed Changeling assassins yet?” the alicorn retorted. “I promise you, they’re trying.”

“They have not come close to the Kaiser,” Benito growled from beside the Princess. “We can smell them out.”

“I hope that’s metaphorical,” she snorted, “because then you can smell that I haven’t showered in three days.”

Benito coughed.

Grover finally turned his head to see Flurry Heart in stained sweatpants with dust running through her feathers. More had collected on the crystal band below her mane stubble. Her pale, icy eyes had bags under them that matched the projection of her aunt.

She stands the exact same way, Grover realized. He clacked his beak and turned back to his folder.

“The Changelings are draining ponies as they fall back,” Flurry continued behind him.

“And they are tearing apart railways,” Grover added. “They do whatever they can to slow us.”

“I’d like to get mage companies and support units to deal with the infiltrators they're leaving behind.”

“I recall that you said you would do something like that.”

“I can’t do that and guard changelings.” Flurry shook her head. “I don’t have the ponypower, but you have the griffons.”

“I am not wasting soldiers guarding prison camps full of shapeshifters,” Grover deadpanned. “That is a disaster waiting to happen. I need my ponies on the frontlines and guarding supply depots. The rest are facing the Riverlands.”

“I don’t have enough soldiers I can trust to deal with this.”

“The solution seems obvious,” Grover responded.

Twilight Sparkle shimmered back into existence, larger than life in the center of the ballroom. The windows had been boarded up, and several of the chandeliers removed so the remaining lights backlit the projection. As a consequence, the room looked gloomy. The purple alicorn visibly took a moment to compose herself. Cameras flashed again.

“My name is Twilight Sparkle…”

Grover tuned out the speech and returned to his paperwork. One of the spare cushions suddenly plopped down next to him, encased within a golden aura. Soft clops sounded closer on the rug.

“That’s close enough, Princess,” Benito said from the door. The graying dog stepped forward to Grover’s right, eyes tracking the alicorn. His whiskers twitched.

The cushion began to pull away with the chime of magic. Grover reached out with his left claw and snagged it, feeling the coldness of the golden telekinetic field, and tugged it back down to the rug. The alicorn clearly didn’t resist his pull, or he would have never managed to dislodge the velvet.

“You think we are never going to sit next to each other, Benito?” Grover asked with a side-eye. He waved his claw. “Wait by the door.”

Benito rubbed his glove with his bare paw before clasping it to his chest. “My Kaiser.” The dog backed away slowly, brown eyes tracking the Princess.

“It’s good to see you,” Flurry offered the dog, and Grover saw Benito marginally bob his head out of his peripherals, partially blocked by the frame of his glasses. He sighed and removed them for a moment, rubbing his eyes with pinched talons.

Flurry Heart flumped down gracelessly on the cushion about three hooves away, clad only in black sweatpants and her crystal crown. She kicked up dust when she landed, both from the rug and her own feathers. The two monarchs were laying on the long cushions; only Flurry was able to see over the railing.

Twilight Sparkle’s voice continued in the center of the ballroom. Grover tuned it out again and returned to his notes. He took a worn pencil in his right claw and idly tallied the projected fuel expenses for Army Group North in the margins.

“Why are you filming her?” the Princess asked beside him. “For the Reich?”

“For history,” Grover answered. “You filmed her, too. I heard a recording on your radio as well.”

“Some ponies will believe she’s another fake,” Flurry sighed. “I haven’t heard anything from the Changelings, but they’ve played her voice enough.”

Grover flipped through the stack of papers until he pulled out a leaflet. “I am surprised,” he admitted. “You know what these will do.” He took a deep breath and looked at the page.

It was a simple design. The Princesses Twilight Sparkle and Mi Amore Cadenza, two pictures side-by-side. They had been taken before the war, and both wore their crowns and regalia. The two alicorns smiled at the photographer with easy grins, one with a golden crown and one with a crystal tiara.

There were two pictures below. A purple mare laid in a hospital bed with tubes and wires running from her skeletal frame. Beside her, a mare was suspended in a cocoon, clearly dead and covered in autopsy scars. If not for the marks on their flanks, they would be hard to recognize as the same ponies.

There was no text, no warning, no offer of surrender. It was simply a page with four pictures. Flurry glanced at it and looked away, peering over the railing at the projection of her aunt.

“It’s not for the Changelings,” Flurry said. “It’s for ponies. Equestria dropped leaflets when we should have been dropping bombs. They aren’t going to surrender to paper.”

“You know what it will do,” Grover repeated. He slid the leaflet back into the folder and set it aside. “Benito,” he called over a wing, “I want the translations triple-checked before they go out. Copies run by me tonight.” The dog nodded.

Flurry did not answer and listened to Twilight’s speech for a moment. Her ears twitched. “Do griffons actually care?” she asked. “You said they didn’t care about what happens here.”

“Twilight Sparkle was the Princess of Friendship,” Grover said in response.

“She is the Princess of Friendship,” Flurry said shortly. “Aren’t words wind?”

Grover glanced at her. “Just so. But some words are carried on gales and others on zephyrs. Her words will be translated into every language of my empire. ‘The Hegemony is a disease that thrives in darkness.’ Let the River Federation censor what they will. All the pegasi in Nimbusia cannot stop this wind. We are here and they are not.”

The noises of hammers and saws echoed through the wall and rumbled under Twilight’s projection. Flurry clearly heard it better than him, and her head tilted to the side. “Are the construction crews messing with the audio?”

“Twilight Sparkle will be dubbed over in Herzlander,” Grover answered, “and all the other languages. We have enough clean recordings of her.” His eyes went up to the boarded-up windows. All of them depicted Queen Chrysalis in some fashion, so they had been blocked for the sake of the film. It did not hide the black marble and carvings along the walls, nor the checkered tiles of Chrysalis’ trident crown on the ballroom floor.

“Do you truly intend to destroy your castle?” Grover asked in curiosity. The Princess beside him was covered in dust from the walk from the west wing to the east wing. Piles of filigrees and anything valuable already filled the courtyard, just behind the large gallows. Crowds of ponies herded together to gawk at the bodies of the nobility all week. Most swung for a few days before being taken down and burned.

“I’m not destroying it,” Flurry retorted. “Just gutting it. It’ll help pay for stuff.”

Stuff. Grover resisted rolling his eyes. “I assure you, Princess, it is but a drop in the ocean.”

“An ocean is made up of millions of drops,” Flurry stated. She flapped a wing, her left one, and refolded it with a pinched muzzle. “My feathers itch. You ever have to clip your feathers?”

“No,” Grover answered. He returned to the folder. “Stop attempting to change the subject. I am not wasting garrisons on prisoners.”

“I know of that unicorn in the hallway,” Flurry intentionally changed the subject. “She was a Discret loyalist, the Countess of Vinovia.”

“Many of the monarchists fled to the Reich when the Republicans won the second civil war,” Grover humored her. “Gabriela believed she could use them to encourage cooperation during the reconquest; she did the same with the exiles from Cloudbury in the north.”

“Your aunt?” Flurry’s ears perked up.

“My aunt who loved me so much and so hated Eros that she plunged the Herzland into a civil war while we were surrounded by vultures,” Grover said with forced enthusiasm. “Despite his disdain for the excesses of the nobility, Eros agreed for the sake of the reconquest. The knightly chapters in the Evi Valley and the Borderlands were similarly empowered; that was his idea.”

“How is the Riverlands?” Flurry nickered.

“Officially, no response,” Grover flipped a page over. “Unofficially, Vivienne has decried the waste of Aquileian lives in a foreign war. Countess Raison knows who took her under a wing. I do not fear them turning on the Reich.” Not while we are winning.

Flurry shook her head. “I honestly prefer the knights.”

This time Grover did roll his eyes. “How do you expect your coronation to look with no nobles to swear allegiance to you?” he squawked. “Are you going to declare the Storm King’s Right Hoof the Duchess of War Crimes?”

“Celestia didn’t ask anypony to swear allegiance to Luna,” Flurry quipped. “Just propped her back up on a throne. Same with my mother. And my aunt. It never mattered.”

“Why did Equestria even have them?”

Flurry raised a brow and smirked. “Well, Sombra killed all of the Crystal Empire’s nobility. A lot of the lines claimed descent from Platinum’s time, a holdover from Old Equestria. I suppose she didn’t want to look like a monster. Prince Blueblood was supposedly Platinum’s last descendant, you know.”

“And you hanged him out there?” Grover queried with a scoff.

“He died a long time ago, and according to Rarity, he was unlikely to sire foals,” Flurry quipped back. “Any noble worth their title lost it years ago.”

“How convenient for you,” Grover remarked.

“It only took being invaded,” Flurry answered. “I don’t recommend it.”

“Good advice for my aunt,” Grover muttered. The tip of his pencil broke and he narrowed his eyes before tossing it to the side. Flurry caught it in her magic, then picked up the broken end. They levitated back together.

Grover felt Benito tense behind him and gave the dog a severe stare over a wing. The alicorn stuffed the broken end back into the pencil, then the tip blackened with heat as it fused back together. The wood discolored slightly before Flurry blew on it and floated it over to the griffon. Grover plucked it out of her magic wordlessly and resumed looking at his papers.

“Fight the Hegemony!”

The Princess of Friendship’s muzzle froze again, and the Princess of Ponies stared at her last remaining family member for several minutes in silence. Grover let her sit there as his film crews worked. “I didn’t think you liked her,” Flurry finally whispered.

The Kaiser set his pencil down. “I have her book,” Grover replied with a confused squawk. “Her school was absurd, but she at least attempted to call us equals.”

“She agreed that the Griffonian Republic was the legitimate government,” Flurry recalled. Her muzzle quirked into a frown. “Didn’t Eros denounce her with Celestia and Luna?”

“Yes,” Grover shrugged a wing, “but Kemerskai is dead. I saw him hang.”

“Alex’s father?”

“He was also named Alexander Kemerskai.” Grover finally twisted to make eye contact. Laying prone on the cushion, he had to look up to meet the alicorn’s eyes and the Reichstone shifted again. He clenched his beak. “I grew up with stories about the griffon that broke my father’s empire. My Reichsarmee took him alive when Cloudbury fell; his son escaped to die by your horn. Have you ever seen Chrysalis? Yourself?”

“No,” Flurry admitted. She pursed her lips. “Only in Aquileia, when she pretended to be my mother.”

“I hope she is not a disappointment,” Grover stated. “The nobles and priests alike dragged a sad, old bird out to a noose with smiles. I was supposed to see a monster.” The griffon cracked his wrist with a dull pop. “Cécile Gaudreau was the same. I should have expected Kemerskai to be a disappointment.”

Flurry blinked. “President Gaudreau?” she asked softly. “From Aquileia?”

“You think we pardoned her?” Grover scoffed mirthlessly.

“I met her. She was a nice griffoness.”

“She would have carved apart my empire just like Kemerskai. I saw her hang the morning I met you,” Grover replied. “I was in Aquileia to be crowned.”

Flurry Heart closed her eyes. “Eros took you to hangings?”

“How old were you the first time you saw someone die?” Grover asked. “We celebrated our triumphs. Beakolini escaped, but King Talonuel of Wingbardy went down fighting.”

Flurry snorted and opened her eyes. “He was happy to invade New Mareland. Fuck him. How is New Mareland?”

“You have a coarse tongue.” Grover picked up the pencil again. "We are still integrating it. The griffon minority is happy, but few ponies have stepped forward to help with the protectorate. There has been more progress since the battle."

"You mean since I fought," Flurry connected. "Good."

Grover chuckled. “Gallus told me about Cozy Glow. Equestria’s stupidity defies belief. I thought he was being apocryphal the first time he said a tree tried to kill him.”

“I’m sure you think I should kill her,” Flurry assessed.

“It is the prudent thing to do.”

“Like massacring 40,000 prisoners.”

Gods damn it. Grover stabbed the pencil down and rebroke the tip. He shoved the folder to the side. “I have no interest in taking prisoners. All of them have wings and a horn. All of them are shapeshifters. Their agents and saboteurs look the same as their civilians, and they are built to blend in.”

“What do you think is going to happen when your army reaches the Changeling Lands?” Flurry nickered. She fixed the pencil again and set it back down with a deep breath.

“The seas will boil and the sky will burn,” Grover answered. His deep blue eyes bore up at her. “You want something different? After what they did to your family?”

“I want Thorax to be King of the Changelings,” Flurry revealed. “We can’t kill them all.”

“Your uncle can be king of whatever my army leaves in its wake,” Grover retorted. “The Reichsarmee is not taking prisoners. The changeling civilians in the west are fleeing and slowing down the Heer’s retreat. I am not wasting time and resources attempting to deal with a race born for duplicity.”

Grover paused. “There have always been rules, even in the times of Grover the Great. Do not fly your enemy’s banner, do not wear your enemy’s heraldry, respect the civilians.” He counted them down on a talon. “Chivalry was built upon those rules, and the Changelings break every convention we have ever held.”

“That’s not my point,” Flurry shook her head. “You can’t kill them all. It’ll be a guerrilla war for the next forty years. And unless you’re truly just fucking off back to Griffonia, I’ll have to deal with it.”

Grover leaned back. He rested his beak on a claw.

“Alcippe approached you,” Flurry continued. She quirked an eyebrow. “Guess your knights beat the shit out of her, but the ‘lings aren’t going to go to ponies to surrender. Taking them in now and ‘protecting them’ from my ponies gives future surrenders a lifeline.”

Grover inspected his other claw. The bruises had healed, and the Princess did not seem to notice. He hummed, “Chrysalis will call it fake and propaganda.”

“Of course she will,” Flurry sighed, “but the ones that believe her would fight anyway. Especially when we reach the Changeling Lands.”

“You think Chrysalis will surrender?”

“No,” Flurry chuckled ruefully. “Someone will have to kill her.” Her muzzle furrowed. “Grover the Great only slaughtered his prisoners once.”

“In Aquileia,” Grover explained, mildly surprised she knew that. “His army was outnumbered outside Azincork, and when the Aquileians appeared to rout him, he ordered the knights to slaughter the captives and return to battle. It won him the battle and the war.”

“We’re winning. For now. We can afford mercy.”

“And when that mercy makes us lose?”

Flurry shrugged her wing. “Your ancestor had an answer.”

Grover turned to the shimmering projection of Twilight Sparkle. It popped into small sparks as the spell was cut. “For the Princess of Hope, you are very pragmatic.”

“I’m also called the Princess of Rope,” Flurry returned. “I didn’t choose either title.”

“The Opinicus Order are not your personal assassins,” Grover said. "I loaned them to you to help take Canterlot, not commit a proscription of your nobility."

Flurry blinked slowly and narrowed her eyes. “I’m sure they told you what I intended. Besides, ponies hanged them. Not very chivalrous to kill prisoners and take their stuff, I admit, but they had no problem with it.”

“Chivalry is a lie,” Grover admitted, “to be discarded when convenient. My Reichsarmee sharped their claws on other griffons for a decade, fighting to retake my empire. Now we face evil.”

“You face your former allies,” Flurry quipped back. She looked over the balcony’s railing to the gathered photographers. Her eyes swept over the boarded-up windows.

Grover’s left wing jittered against his coat, feeling the imprint of the holster and the pistol inside it. “Chrysalis dies.”

“Yes,” Flurry agreed.

“If she’s taken alive, I will execute her. She is mine.”

“Okay,” Flurry Heart shrugged a hoof, as if it did not matter to her at all. “You think I want to give her a trial to spit more lies?”

“You do not want to kill her?” Grover asked. He blinked. She agreed too quickly.

The alicorn hesitated, only for a moment. “She can fall down the stairs for all I care,” she said quickly. “It doesn’t matter how she dies. This won’t end until she does.”

You’re lying, Grover thought. And then he said it out loud. “You are lying.”

Flurry’s ears pinned back. “What?”

“She destroyed your family. It is natural to want revenge.”

“Justice,” Flurry corrected, “and I don’t care what happens to her.”

Grover’s cheeks pulled into a smirk. “Are you lying to me or to yourself?”

Flurry exhaled. “My entire family is gone. I haven’t even seen my grandparents’ house yet. What do you want me to say? That I hate her?”

“That you want to kill her,” Grover shrugged a wing. “Why do you pretend you do not?”

“Because I don’t care,” Flurry huffed. Her ears flicked above her stubble.

“You do,” Grover said simply. “You act as if you do not. Another play.”

“My family didn’t believe in revenge,” Flurry said in a weaker voice.

“Are you pretending to be them?” Grover questioned. “Look at where they are.”

“When my aunt recovers,” Flurry regained the fire in her voice, “she will rule beside me. You agreed to acknowledge her.”

“If she was alive,” Grover countered. “I will acknowledge her as she is.”

“She is the Princess of Friendship. She beat Discord and Tirek. Chrysalis won’t beat her.”

Grover stared at her. “Words are wind.”

Flurry closed her eyes and took a shuddering breath. “Your army helped Chrysalis as well. Your regent. And your empire.” She opened an icy eye and turned it to him. “Your army killed my father. Not her. Maybe I should blame you.” Her horn flickered with a small flame at the tip.

Benito moved behind Grover, then suddenly stopped. Grover turned his head to see the dog encased in golden magic with his pistol drawn. He had moved fast, and his brown eyes were wide.

The pistol was aiming at Grover. No one beyond the balcony had noticed. Grover knew several knights were keeping watch, but they had shifted to the sides of the ballroom during the projections.

Flurry clicked her tongue. “This is how I killed Blackpeak,” she admitted in a whisper. “His paw isn’t on the trigger, but I could pull it myself. You wanna try reaching for the pistol under your wing?”

Grover studied her. While the Princess laid on the cushion looking down at him with unblinking glacial ice, a thin trail of blood came out her left nostril. Grover raised his right claw and stuffed it into his jacket. The alicorn did not react.

The Kaiser pulled out a monogramed cloth. “Your nose is bleeding,” he said dryly. “From the crater, I take it?” He offered it to her.

Flurry accepted it with a hoof and wiped her nose. “He’s struggling. It would be easier if he stood still.”

“Stop moving, Benito,” Grover said over his shoulder to the completely still dog. “You’ll break something before she does.” The dog did not seem to relax, but Flurry did. She stuffed the bloody cloth into a pocket after folding it.

Flurry Heart plucked the pistol from Benito’s paw and levitated it over to her muzzle. She frowned as her horn glowed. “Same pistol you had in Aquileia,” she commented to the dog. “The one you shot that changeling at the dock with.”

Grover blinked. “What?”

“Did he not tell you?” Flurry snorted. She caught the pistol in a forehoof as her horn dimmed, balancing it on her upturned, pink, chipped hoof.

Benito gasped and coughed, then partially drew his saber before Grover glared at him. The dog’s ears wilted as his muzzle twisted in horror. “My Kaiser-”

“What changeling?” Grover asked. “You reported to the Archon there were no problems.”

“It was inconsequential,” Benito admitted with a wince. “I dealt with it.”

“What changeling?” Grover snarled, forcing his voice into a deeper register.

“Some mare,” Benito finally whined. “Followed us with a pistol for a few blocks. I think she was trying to kill…” he glared at the alicorn. “Her. One shot through the head killed the changeling; she was disguised as a unicorn.”

“They lose the disguise when they die,” Flurry commented.

“I know,” Benito growled. “And she did. I kicked her into the bay.”

“Why did you not tell the Archon?” Grover questioned.

Benito’s ears, already wilted against his head, twitched. “It didn’t seem-”

“He did,” Flurry interrupted. Her lips pursed into a thin line across her muzzle. “The Changelings were too important, weren’t they?”

“You told me there were no problems,” Grover rephrased. He looked to Flurry for a moment, then Benito.

“Eros ordered it be swept under swift currents,” Benito offered. “It was not important, and you were fond of-”

“Do not use excuses!” Grover snapped. “I should have been told!”

“My Kaiser,” Benito said sorrowfully, “with all respect, you were ten.” He knelt. “I beg your forgiveness.”

Grover glared at him. Flurry balanced the pistol on her hoof, watching the exchange. “Thorax kept worse things from me,” she said bluntly. “Probably still does.”

“Get out,” the Kaiser said to her, then turned to the dog. “And you. I do not wish to see you for the rest of the day.” Benito looked away, and stood slowly with his gloved paw behind his back.

“My Kaiser,” he intoned with a drooping tail.

Flurry Heart threw the pistol to the dog. Benito nearly fumbled the catch with one paw and stared wildly at her. The alicorn snorted. “Safety’s on; can’t believe you tried to kill me with the same pistol you saved my life with.”

Benito squinted at the gun before holstering it. He looked to Grover. The Kaiser turned away and reopened his folder, resuming his tallies with the pencil. The griffon’s tan tail lashed counter-clockwise in a signal.

“I can’t believe you recognized the pistol,” Benito growled, given permission to speak. “And she was aiming at me first, not you.”

“Probably wanted to take me alive and shove me into a cocoon,” Flurry quipped. “Why’d you intervene?”

“The Kaiser commanded it.”

“I wasn’t asking you.”

Grover did not look over his shoulder. “What benefit would I get?” he responded to the Princess. “Perhaps she would have sent me another tank for my birthday. I had enough.”

Flurry Heart laughed behind him, crystal bells clinking together. “How many tanks am I worth?” she asked afterwards.

“At least 134,” Grover retorted. “That’s how many amphibious tanks you destroyed in the landing attempt at Nouveau Aquila. Would you like to know how many ships? Or planes? I did make a count. I should look for it.”

There was no response.

“How about my griffons?” Grover continued. “How many are you worth?”

“What about the Nova Griffonians?” a cold voice said behind him. “Weren’t they yours? How many did you plan on killing with my help?”

“As many as I needed to win,” Grover answered without looking behind him. “How many changelings are you willing to kill, Princess?”

“Less than you, apparently.”

“Just so,” Grover chuckled. “And that is why you need my army.”

Hooves stomped out behind him. The door opened and slammed shut. Grover counted the legs, and realized Benito was still behind him. “I told you to leave.”

“And I shall once the Princess is out of sight,” Benito stated.

“You believe you could stop her?” Grover asked bluntly. “She just proved you cannot.”

“Perhaps I can stop you from making more stupid comments,” Benito huffed. “My Kaiser.”

Grover paused, set the pencil down, and turned around fully on the cushion. “I told you to leave.”

“It was cruel to insult her family,” Benito said coldly, “and foolish to mock an alicorn.”

“She mocks me every time we speak,” Grover spat. “She should be grateful I will even consider this folly with prisoners. And I do not need judgements from a liar.”

Benito did not wince. “As you say, my Kaiser. I swore to obey your commands. She should be grateful; if you had not commanded her protection, she would have ended up beside her aunt. Eros intended to let Chrysalis have her. I’m sure you know that.”

“Get out,” Grover snarled. “Dismissed.”

Benito clasped a paw to his chest and exited. Another dog replaced him, bowing before the Kaiser and awaiting the command to stand. Grover only waved his wing and turned back around on the cushion. He grabbed the pencil and resumed his tallies, clenching it tightly in his claw.

My Maar-damned dogs will speak in her defense? She slaughters her nobility and wins my knights over with theatrics? She speaks our language like a peasant and even smells like one. I should have-

The tip of the pencil snapped again. Grover lost his thought and looked at it for a moment, then reared onto his paws and leaned on the balcony. Flurry had left, and the little crystal was packed away and gone as well. The film crews and photographers continued to pack away their things while hammers and saws echoed distantly. The Reichstone shifted on his head again. Grover set it down on the railing of the balcony and stared at it.

The Reichstone laid on its side atop the desk, but Grover was too afraid to reach up and grab it. The room had descended into madness the moment the smaller alicorn had attacked the larger one. This was not how it was supposed to go; Eros promised him it would be simple.

The changelings were nice, but appearing as someone’s mother did not seem nice. It seemed like a horrid trick. Thranx had shown him the trick a few times back at the palace. There was a high shriek and a clash of metal as a knight fought with a Jaeger somewhere near the doors. Benito barked just after a pained, dual-toned scream.

Grover crawled out from under the desk. He looked to Eros first, deep in an argument with some knight, then to Benito standing on the long rug. He had drawn his saber and hacked down savagely at one of the armored changelings. Thranx stood to the side, completely at ease with the chaos around him. The changeling looked resigned.

Grover’s glasses were slightly knocked off his beak. He decided to grab the Reichstone first before fixing them. Eros told him it was always important to look like the Kaiser. He poked his head over the top of the desk.

The light pink alicorn was under Benito, sprawled out across the rug with a bloody muzzle. She shook her head as her pale blue eyes sharpened. Grover angled his beak so she swam into focus with his glasses.

She grinned at him upside down. Her teeth were stained red, and her horn scraped the rug. She seemed completely unconcerned about what was going on. In fact, she seemed rather proud of the chaos.

Grover looked at her with wide eyes, and looked to the Reichstone atop the desk. He was supposed to look like the Kaiser of Griffonkind. The young griffon tensed and leapt atop the desk after a deep inhale. A paw knocked the crown off the edge.

“I command you to stop!” He did not think any griffon heard him.

But surprisingly, they did.

Grover rolled the broken pencil between his claws as he stared at the Reichstone. He tapped one of the gems with the eraser, listening to the dull thump. After a moment, he matched the beat of one of the distant hammers.

I should have… Grover sighed. There were a thousand things he should have done. He could not decide on just one. The griffon tossed the pencil down to the folder and shoved the Reichstone back on his head.

PreviousChapters Next