• ...
3
 9
 461

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 3: Pre-party

I lay in the bed, snuggling my beloved huge Pinkie Pie plushie to my fluffy green chest under the covers there, deep inside my nest of 7 pillows, comfortably wrapped in her snuggles and surrounded by soft comfort… I smile and sigh as I breathe out happily through my nose and smile as I knew snuggly plushie bliss, when suddenly, I hear a feminine voice calling out to me from somewhere other than my bed…

“Jessi! It’s time to wake up now! We gotta get you ready for your first day of class!”

I open my eyes wide before calling out to Sunny, “No way! The real world is out there and the real world sucks! I’m safe in here with my stuffed friends!”

I can hear the alicorn chuckling, “Oh Jessi! Come on! Wake up and get out of bed already! You don’t wanna be late!”

“Ugh!” I call out beyond the bed with my snout raised up below the blankets, “Five more minutes!”

<*****>

I lay my head on the big soft blue fluffy pillow at the head of my bed while facing the back wall, opposite the rest of my room on my right side, when again, I hear the same mare calling from behind me as before, “Twinkle Shine! You’ve already been given five minutes, three times now! I really think it’s time to start getting ready for class!”

I open my eyes to the wall as my bluish-white wavy mane lays on the pillow at my right and grimace, “Ugh! Okay, fine! Uh, get out of here and I’ll meet you outside for breakfast!”

I hear Izzy say jovially in response, “Okay Twinkle! I already made hot cakes for you and there’s juice at the table!”

I widen my eyes at the wall with hope, “And a joint?”

“Of course!”

<*****>

I trot into the room with my disheveled mane and groggily frown as I make my way to the table, now with the waiting bowl of cereal and steaming white cup of coffee on it… I use my mouth to yank the chair back and then, prop myself on it to the right and as I sit there on my haunches, I stare at this elated orange alicorn sitting across the table from me…

She smiles and says, “You’re even cute in the mornings with your disheveled mane!”

I furrow my brows, “I’m not cute! Your mom is cute!”

She giggles and shakes her head, “Jessi, you’re adorable!”

“Your dad is adorable!”

Sunny sighs and corrects her mouth, “Jessi, will you just accept it, already? You need to just accept that you’re cute!”

I frown deeper, “Your grandma needs to accept that she’s cute already!”

<*****>

I sat there across the table from the blue unicorn with her dark azure mop of a mane as she smiles at me and says, “Morning Twinkle! Ready for wake n bake, breakfast, and then we get you ready for school?”

I look at the unicorn, “Less talky talky! More smokey smokey!”

She giggles, “I live with a ten-year-old junkie!”

I widened my eyes, “I’m actually eight and a half!”

She stares at me, “Really?”

I look back at her, “No, not really! The truth is, because of what happened, I don’t know how old I am?”

Izzy frowns, “Oh, that’s terrible!”

I widen my eyes, “It is?”

Izzy nods, “Well, yes! We don’t know when you were born or when your birthday is, or how old you actually are!”

I lower my eyes, “Okay!”

The unicorn eyes me carefully for a moment before finally saying, “I’ll go get your breakfast!”

<*****>

Another day of classes knocked out! I look up at the clock as I sigh, 12:30 this time! Huh! Took a bit longer than expected! I ponder to myself as I begin the trek back to Izzy’s house on the East end of town, just a few short blocks away.

I continue thinking to myself, I always finish my work early! I wonder when I should tell Izzy about this. As I make my way there.

I eventually see Izzy’s house near the edge of the village with its slanted blue roof and open windows with so many happy decorations inside. I turn left just before it so I can head outback and reenter my room from the back window.

I trot around the building and turn my body right to behold something that was not there when I left! I see a small pink pegasus filly slurping a blue frozen drink out of a red paper cup with a plastic bubble lid with her forehooves as she sits there on her haunches and stares up at the sky, before turning her head left and widening her auburn eyes as she sees me! She smiles her freckled grin, “Hiya Jessi! I always get done with class early, but I got done super early today, and well, I got bored!”

I widen my eyes, “So, you came here?”

She nods, “Of course! You’re my best friend, after all!”

I can’t help but feel a slow warm smile form on my face as I say, “Hang on, Twinkle Shine! I keep my window unlocked, since you know. I’m gonna be heading back here anyway!”

<*****>

I flap my wings to elevate my body the necessary 3 feet to raise it and then, tilt them to move forward into the room through the now open window after Jessi climbs inside.

I float over the room with her bed to the right with its many stuffed sleeping companions and her desk at the left with many papers and books on it. I have no idea what she does there, but I also know that it’s none of my concern, and so I don’t worry about it as I slow my flapping to descend at an angle and land there on my hooves, in the center of the room, I shake my head as what I had smoked on the way up here begins to try and grasp my mind and I turn my body right to face Jessi there, and smile, “So! What do you want to do now, friend!”

I frown, “Well, I usually just read until Sunny notices I’m back? She’s always so wrapped up with other things that she doesn’t know that I’m usually back earlier…”

She frowns, “Yeah, but this time, I’m here!” she sighs, “Golly, I wanted to surprise you, but now, well? There’s nothing for us to do!”

I frown, “Well, it’s a happy surprise, Twinkle Shine!”

She blinks, “So, you’re glad I’m here?”

I smile, “Of course! Aren’t you my best friend?”

She begins to beam back at me, “Uh, right! Of course, I am! Best friend! That’s me! Twinkle Shine, best friend of Jessi Trotsky!”

I nod, “Of course! Now, we’re both very intelligent fillies! I’m sure between the two of us, we can think of all sorts of things to do!”

<*****>

I sat on my haunches on the side of Jessi’s room, just trying to contain the youthful bursts of filly energy within me, now supercharged by slushie sugar, before finally turning my neck to the ceiling and giving an exasperated sigh, “Ugh! I’m SO BORED!”

Jessi stares at me from her haunches with her wide burnt orange eyes and stammers out, “Well, before you, I didn’t really have any friends my age! I uh, guess I need some games and activities?”

I lower my gaze to the other filly and say lowly, “Yeah, and a baggy and pack of papers wouldn’t be a bad idea either!

She stares at me, “What was that Twinkle?”

I shake my head and stare back, “Oh, nothing! You know life is pretty dull without mischief!”

Her eyes widen all the way, “Oh gosh! You’re not gonna do something bad, are you, Twinkle?”

I smile wryly back at the green unicorn, “Who? Me? Why, I wouldn’t dream of it! I’m a little angel, after all!” as I imagine a golden halo above my wavy bluish-white mane.

She smiles, “You are so full of shiitake, Twinkle Shine!”

I widen my own eyes, “What? I haven’t tried to take over Equestria!”

“Not recently!”

I frown, “W-what’s that supposed to mean?”

She shakes her head.

<*****>

I widen my eyes to the pink filly as it suddenly occurred to me that I really shouldn’t be bringing up her past. “Oh, nothing Twinkle Shine! Hey! I haven’t eaten lunch today! Do you want me to make you a daffodil and mayo sandwich when I make mine here in a sec? Sunny is in the backroom right now! She’ll never know the difference!”

She shakes her head and smiles back at the opportunity to bring the conversation to another zone, “Um, that’s okay Jessi! I snagged a couple of carrot dogs and a slushie from the corner store on my way up here! I’m fine for now!”

I smile back at the other filly, “Okay, Twinkle! I’ll be right back!”

<*****>

As the teal unicorn silently operated the door with a golden glow from her horn magic, I just sat there on my haunches, and she began to trot her way out slowly and quietly into the foyer.

She quietly shuts the door behind her, and I’m left in her dark wooden room in the back there, with her bed behind me and the door at my right.

After a few moments, I hear a distant knocking that sounds like it’s coming from Sunny’s front door! I trot over to the door at my right and prop my head against it while raising my ear and pressing it against the wall so its floppy structure goes flat against the surface to see what I can hear.

I hear a jovial feminine voice that sounds a lot like the unicorn I live with saying loudly, “We don’t know when Twinkle Shine’s birthday is!”

I hear Sunny’s response, “Oh?”

“Yeah! We need to have a celebration for her, stat! I mean, she just went two thousand years without a birthday or any celebrations at all!”

“Uh, you make a point, actually!”

I hear the unicorn clear her throat, “Um, yeah! So how about today?”

I widen my eyes, Oh, golly! Better be on time when I come home at four! I think to myself.

I hear Sunny respond, “That sounds like a wonderful idea! I’ll go get some balloons and confetti! I was saving them for a special demonstration, but they’re both super cheap, so it’s not a big deal!”

“Right! And you definitely need to bring Jessi!”

“Of course!”

<*****>

I widen my eyes as I hear the two ponies talking about a surprise birthday celebration for my best friend.

Oh gosh! This promises to be fun! I think to myself as I stand there underneath the kitchen table to hide, with a white plate in front of me as I magically take more bites of my sandwich inside an auburn glow.

The thing about being a filly is, you’re not very tall! There’s plenty of room underneath for me to hide whilst I wait for the two upfront to finish talking.

I hear Sunny finally say, “Alright, Izzy! Whenever Jessi gets back, I’ll be sure to tell her about it and we’ll start heading up there!”

I then hear an elated unicorn say, “Oh gosh! That’ll be awesome, Sunny! I’m sure Twinkle will be so happy!”

I hear the door shut shortly after and then I wait for the alicorn to make her way towards the backroom with the familiar clopping sound of her hooves shuffling across the floor, where she was working on more activism stuff while I stand there, underneath the table…

When I hear the door shut in the back of the cottage, I magically grasp the plate and turn to trot out from under the table and float the plate over to the sink, where it lands with a small clack. I then turn my body back towards the foyer and trot that way, to begin making my way to my room.

I soon open my door inward to the left with my magic and trot into see the window at the far wall open with the clear white curtain blowing in the breeze. I also can’t help but notice the note scribbled onto a paper on my desk on the right side.

I trot over to look at what it says:

Dear, Jessi

They’re going to throw a surprise party for me, and I need to head back now. See you soon, best friend!

Twinkle

I smile warmly at the mention of the word friend inside the note when I suddenly realize that it’s happening again… Only this time, I can’t seem to stop myself from smiling… This filly took time out of her life just to come see me, even if for a few minutes and I can’t help but get warm feelings in my heart because of that…

As I stand there facing the desk on the adjacent wall, the door at my right suddenly opens to reveal an orange alicorn there, who widens her cerulean eyes when she sees me! “Jessi! What are you doing home so early?”

I turn my body right towards the other pony and widen my eyes. “Oh, gosh! I just got done with school early and so, I came back here, like I’m supposed to! You seemed busy in the back, and so I didn’t bother you!” I say while widening my eyes and doing my best to put on an innocent smile…

Sunny smiles back at me, “Well, that’s okay Jessi! Uh, we’re going to have a surprise party for Twinkle Shine! You don’t have to get her a gift if you don’t have it, but we’re celebrating her birthday today, since we don’t know when she was born!”

I lift my head and perk my ears her way, “Oh gosh! This promises to be fun!” I repeat to the alicorn, “Uh, actually, I think I do have something to give her!”

(To be continued…)

PreviousChapters Next