• ...
3
 9
 459

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 16: An Admission of Fear

I stirred there inside the comfort of the soft bed underneath the warm cottony covers while hearing a familiar squeaky voice lowly and softly curse, “Oh, golly!” before I once again hear the clicking noise.

click click!

The same voice squeaks in irritation, “Golly dammit!”

click click!

“Need a new one of these from Izzy!” The voice grumbles.

I finally open my eyes and raise my head from my left side on the bed as I stared at the lone pink pegasus filly on the floor, attempting to wield a red hoof lighter with her right forehoof to ignite the joint in her mouth.*

“Oh, golly!” She repeats herself before lowering the lighter and noticing that my eyes are open as her brown eyes widen and she says out the left side of her mouth, “You’re awake! Uh, how did everything go with Discord?” before placing the lighter down on the nightstand on her left and turning around to trot towards the shelf on the far wall from the bed…

I can tell she still expects a reply as I open my mouth, “I told him what a terrible piece of crap he was and how his lack of friends clearly showed that!”

She flaps her wings to lift her tiny pink body to the second shelf up as she grasps the edge with her forehooves and then, moves her right forehoof towards something and clasps onto it before letting go from the ledge and landing back on the floor on her other three hooves with a resounding clack noise. She turns around and brings a new blue hoof lighter to her face with her forehoof and lowers her gaze to squeeze the device and ignite as she begins to inhale to bring the flame to the end of the joint... I soon see her eyes narrow in satisfaction as the embers now burn at the end…

I finally ask, “Uh, how long was I out, anyway?”

She looks up to breath smoke onto me and replies, “About eleven hours. Since we don’t know how long that sleepy thing Luna did lasts, Izzy just magically put you on my bed… I slept on the couch because I didn’t want to disturb you…” before lowering her face and taking another drag of her joint, as she places the lighter down on the table, next to the other one.

I blink at her, “You care about me, don’t you?”

Her eyes widen as she removes the joint with her right forehoof and breaths smoke onto me, “Gee, took you long enough!” and smiles, “And you care about me too, huh?” and then, brings her joint to her mouth for another hit.

I sigh and lower my gaze, “Y-yeah… I gotta be honest now!”

She breaths out onto me again and I raise my nose to suck in more of the fumes as she says, “Speaking of the curse, do you even know what sort of power that weird staff grants you, yet?”

I blink down at her before widening my eyes and frown, “No idea!”

She narrows her eyes while taking a drag off her joint, before lowering her gaze and then, quickly raising it to blow smoke onto me, “Well, don’t you think we should find out? You’re already doing the time!” she smiles, “Might as well also do the crime!” and then, brings the half-joint to her mouth for another hit as ash falls from the front onto the floor at her hooves.

“Knowing you, that probably does involve some sort of crime!”

She blows smoke onto me as I sat there up on the bed and smiles before saying, “Well, we’re not gonna try to take over Equestria, again!” and then, brings the joint back to her lips for another inhalation.

I blink and frown, “Uh, again? Implying we’ve done it before?”

She raises her neck and closes her eyes before slowly lowering her head to me and exhaling smoke my direction and smiles before saying, “Well, not before tonight, anyway!”

I widen my eyes, “What are we gonna do tonight, Twinkle Shine?”

She raises her forehoof over the ashtray on the table before her to vertically snuff out the joint before staring back at me and smiling, “Same thing we do every night, Jessi! Try to take over Equestria!”

I frown and narrow my eyes, “This is serious, Twinkle! I have power and we don’t know what it is!”

She brings her hoof back to the floor in-line and widens her auburn gaze up at me expectantly, “Well, golly gee! Don’t you think we should find out?” and frowning expectantly.

“No!” I shout as I wave my right forehoof in front of me, left to right. “I don’t want any power!”

Her mouth straightens, “Well, sometimes, it doesn’t really matter what you want, Jessi…” before she blinks and adjusts her gaze to me. “Power is what you got!”

I smile, “Ironic, because power would be something that you’d want, and not me!”

Her eyes widen and mouth tightens, “And what is that supposed to mean?”

My mouth straightens as I suddenly realize my mistake! “Uh, nothing!”

She frowns, “I told you about my past, and now you secretly think I’m some kinda maniac, huh?” and looks down at the side of the bed with a mixture of sullen and blank expressions on her face.

I gaze wistfully to the right, “N-no, not exactly… Uh, “I look back at her. “I just have a different opinion of you, I guess? I never really knew what to think of you before and well, I guess telling me about your past kinda, filled in the blanks?” and smile nervously.

She slowly and calmly breaths in and out of her nose while eyeing me carefully, “This is exactly why I didn’t want to tell anypony! Because now, you see me as a villain!”

I widen my eyes and fix my mouth, “I do not!”

She frowns, “But?”

I blink, “But uh, now I look at you differently, okay?”

Her eyes narrow, “Differently? Differently, how?”

I sigh and honestly reply, “I see you as far more dangerous and powerful than I thought earlier, okay? I uh, well…” I smile weakly. “It’s actually a kinda respectful, honestly!”

Her brown eyes widen, “Respectful? What do you mean?”

I gulp, “I uh, I’m kinda scared of you now…” before blinking. “Honestly…”

Her eyes grow wide as saucers, “Wait, what?!?!”

“I uh, asked Sunny about what she found out about you… We had a big talk about it…”

“You! Jessi Trotsky!” She points at me with her left forehoof. “Are afraid of me? Twinkle Shine?” and lowers it.

I narrow my mouth, “Um, y-yes…”

She blinks and lowers her hoof, “So you’re scared of me, now, huh?”

I blink and frown in confused exasperation, “Didn’t I just say that?”

She sighs, “Well, right!” before nodding and gazing at me curiously, “Uh, why?” and frowns up my direction.

I take a deep sigh in and out of my snout before gazing at her inquisitive stare carefully, “Sunny told me about all the things you did… She told me about how you had taken over the school, once upon a time, and about how you almost took over Equestria, later, when you were an alicorn…”

She frowns, “And you’re reluctant to try out your new powers because you’re worried about what I might think and do if we knew about it, huh?”

My mouth scrunches again as I can only reply in irritation, “Well, that and the fact that I’m really not interested in power…”

She raises her right forehoof to silence me and says, “I already know that! I’m more worried about how you feel about me, now!” and lowers it before gazing back up at me on the bed.

I then contemplated Izzy’s words, shield of liesas I mustered the biggest smile I could and cautiously replied, “Twinkle, what you did was scary, okay? You managed to take over an entire school and as if that wasn’t bad enough, you gained a LOT of power later, and attempted to take down the monarchy… And you almost succeeded! That’s very scary!”

Her eyes enlarge again, “Well, golly gee, you’re not gonna cower in fear from me, or anything now, right?”

I blink as I feel something beginning to enter into my brain and say, “Uh, I don’t think so?”

Her eyes widen, “Well, do you think so, or do you know so?”

I blink, “Well uh, no! Probably not?”

She lowers her body down to the floor as her knees bend and her wavy bluish-white mane falls down around her shoulders with it’s styled bangs, and grins up at me wildly, “Well, what if I tickled you? Would you not cower, then?”

I widen my eyes, “Wait, what? What are you...”

I can’t finish that statement before she takes off from her squatting position and flaps her wings wildly towards the ground and behind her as her tiny pink body lifts into the air and I then see a smiling wavy maned filly coming right at me with outstretched forehooves as her long bluish-white mane flows behind her head!

My eyes widen as a blue half-dome forcefield appears in front of me by my will, and stops the enthusiastic filly as she scrapes in futility at it with her hooves and falls down to the other side of the bed and lowers her hooves to it, so that she’s now facing me on all four of them while I still lay there on my side.

She looks up and says in annoyance, “Hey! No fair!”

“You got to use your wings to take off! I should be able to use my magic! That’s fair!”

Her eyes narrow and she frowns as I lower the forcefield, “I guess? But this isn’t over!”

My eyes narrow and I grin back at her, “You’re never gonna catch me!”

“We’ll see about that!” She sighs deeply in and out of her mouth before gazing back at me. “But seriously, Jessi! You know I’m not like that anymore, right? I mean, golly! That was a long time ago! You said so yourself!”

I blink and stare forward blankly, “Well yeah, I-I did!”

She nods, “Right! So you believe it, right?”

I blink again and frown, “I think so?”

Her eyes narrow, “Jessi, I don’t like this! Now I-I’m worried! I’ve never had a friend feel that way about me and um, it’s just scary!”

My eyes widen, “Wait! You’re scared of me, now?”

Her eyes enlarge as well, “Uh, no!”

“You’re worried about how I feel about you?”

“NO!”

I can’t help but grin at this point, “You’re a terrible liar, when you’re high, you know that?”

NO!

I grin and start to giggle slightly, “Yes!”

She shakes her head, “I’ll have you know that I’m great liar when stoned! The best!

“That must be some strong herb?”

“I’m not stoned!”

“You’re totally stoned!”

“Shut up!” She blurts out before trying not to smile and barely suppressing some giggles.

My eyes widen, “Make me!”

She smiles, “I’ll make your mom shut up!”

I frown, “What?”

She reaches quickly slides into a prone position on the bed and scoots her left forehoof underneath the covers to quickly begin tickling me under my front pit before I can react!

I start giggling uncontrollably as my laying body begins to fidget from the new stimulation! “Stop it!”

She yells out loud, “You’re not afraid of me!”

“Yes I am!” I say before squealing and giggling some more!

She brings her right forehoof into tickle me even more while shouting, “No, you’re not!”

Suddenly, we both hear a feminine voice coming from the now open door in front of the bed, “Just what in Equestria are you two arguing about?”

She adjusts her body to turn her head left to stare at Izzy, “She’s not afraid of me!”

I raise my gaze to view the purple unicorn, “Yes, I am!”

She frowns, “We’re gonna have a talk about this during dinner”

I blink as the gravity of what I just said sets in, “Oh, golly!”

Twinkle stares back at me, “Wait a minute!”

<*****>

I sat there in a half-daze as the stuff I just smoked begins to seep further into my mind and I stare at the orange alicorn across from me, as she stares directly at me with her forest green eyes and says, “So, Jessi is afraid of Twinkle Shine, now?” before lifting her left eyebrow.

I turn my head right to watch the other filly stare at the alicorn with her orange eyes widely, “Honestly, now that I know about Twinkle Shine, I never thought it would become an issue. But now I have this power and feel as if I need to protect it from her…” before widening her eyes curiously.

It occurs to me that she likely didn’t realize that herself until she said something as I hear the alicorn reply, “Well, you don’t need to worry about that, Jessi! We have the staff put away for now and without it, you have no power… Well, other than truth telling!”

She frowns and replies, “What? That’s not a power! That’s a curse!”

Izzy, sitting to the right of Sunny, turns her head to her and says, “Actually, she’s right!”

I finally raise my right forehoof and say, “Oh, golly! Am I the only pony here who wants to know exactly what she can do?”

Sunny turns her gaze to me and frowns, “Well, how can we safely do that?”

I stare back up at her and smile as a new idea forms in my head…

<*****>

And so, I brush my violet mane from my face using my orange right forehoof and stare out at the wide open field, just northwest of Maritime Bay, I smile as I see the open grasslands and nopony in sight… I stare over at a 2-foot-wide and 1-foot-tall brown rock just to the left of my view and say to the green filly on my right, “As you know, I’m an alicorn and by this point, I have some experience with powerful magic…” I smile. “Don’t worry, Jessi! We’re gonna make sure you know what you’re doing!”

“Uh, how are we gonna do that?”

I smile, “Why, practice, of course!” I point at a brown rock in front of us with my right forehoof. “Okay, you see that sandstone over there?”

She looks over and solemnly gulps before saying, “Uh, yes Miss Sunny?”

“I want you to try forcing the staff with your mind to do something to that stone!”

“Like what?”

I smile, “I don’t care! Zap it into a thousand pieces or transform it into something! It doesn’t matter! The point is to see exactly how powerful this staff thing really is!”

Her orange eyes widen, “Uh, right!” before lowering her head and forcing her horn to glow a pale azure color and the silver staff floating in a similar glow to turn so that the blue crystal on the end is facing the stone. Suddenly, a blue stream of magic shoots out from the crystal to hit the stone, causing it to raise in the air and morph into about a dozen small black spiders, roughly 10 inches in width with distinctive glowing red eyes! They all march towards the unicorn filly who stares down at them and says, “Halt, minions! Now go! Go and fetch me cheese crackers!” before the spiders all turn from where they were, 5 feet from her and begin scampering off into the grassy fields…

My eyes widen and I turn my head right to the filly to ask her, “What was that?”

She turns her head back to me and widens her eyes, “What? I’m hungry!”

“Yeah, but I mean, cheese crackers?”

She blinks, “I like cheese crackers!”

A thought occurs to me as I affix my gaze to the filly at my side and ask her, “Uh, why didn’t you turn the stone itself into cheese crackers?”

She blinks, “What? Like, magic crackers? I don’t if it’s safe to eat magic crackers, is it?”

I widen my eyes, “Why wouldn’t it be?”

Her eyes widen, “Well, where did they come from? Are they poisonous? How do I know they’re safe?”

I frown and gently suppress a giggle, “Well, they would’ve came from that sandstone, right? And they’re only poisonous if you make them poisonous! I mean, you’re in charge, right?”

She frowns back, “I think so?”

Suddenly, I notice a large black spider with red eyes at Jessi’s left side, between me and her, holding a small plastic pack of cheese crackers in it’s front mandibles as it stares up at the filly expectantly.

She briefly glances down at the arachnid before back up at me as I ask her, “Do you know where those crackers, came from?”

She smiles up at me optimistically with wide hopeful orange eyes, “Well, from this spider, of course! Hey, I wanna practice more magic, but can I have a snack first?”

I try my best to hold back my grin and chuckles as I can already tell that this particular magic student is not ordinary!

(To be continued...)

Author's Note:

*I know I’ve been there on more than a few occasions. I want to light something and my lighter chooses that exact moment to run out of fuel! For that reason, I actually make it a point to always have a spare. Because there’s nothing worse than having smoke and no way to fire up!

PreviousChapters Next