• Published 19th Mar 2022
  • 4,291 Views, 276 Comments

Equestria Girls - The Tale of Two Sunsets - HumanSunset63



What could've been for an ending for Equestria Girls...

  • ...
17
 276
 4,291

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 72: The Sacrifice

Recognizing that the pony who had come to their rescue was none other than Gloriosa Daisy, Sunset began to regain a sense of hope. If anypony were to potentially convince the ruthless pirate captain to put an end to his wrongdoings, it would be his big sister. As such, Sunset and Night Glider both obliged to Gloriosa's request, in helping her reunite with her long lost sibling. Though when it came to Timber and Gloriosa's history together, Sunset felt the need to question what exactly had happened, and what had caused Timber to turn out this way. She picked up the Dragonstone before turning to Gloriosa and getting ready to ask some difficult questions, knowing that this would be tough for everypony involved.

"Gloriosa, right?" Sunset recalled meeting the Pony Gloriosa, shortly before Twilight's coronation. "I know this might be a tough question, but... why did Timber become such a ruthless pirate captain? And what exactly happened between the two of you?"

"I understand why you need to know." Gloriosa said, rather glum. "But for now, we must focus on stopping him before he hurts anypony else."

"A bit too late for that." Night Glider spoke up. "He already destroyed our escape boat and revived an army of undead skeletons to attack our entire group. Now, we're just scrambling to survive, whilst fending off these bony creatures."

"Then we must act quickly!" Gloriosa said, determined. "One of you must take me to Timber so I can confront him, while the other reports to everypony else of why I'm here. I won't stand for any more harm coming to anypony else, especially from my dear brother."

"I'll take you to see your brother." Sunset volunteered. "Night Glider, could you let Twilight and the others know about this? Building an escape boat under such unstable circumstances isn't our best plan, if we have an alternative solution."

"I'll let them know, Sunset." Night Glider nodded, getting ready to run back to the camp. "Good luck."


Back at CHS, the rest of the Rainbooms were planning on returning to the music room to retrieve their instruments, after hanging out with each other at the coffee shop in town. Pinkie was feeling a bit better about her encounter with Human Sunset that night, though she still couldn't help but feel empty inside, despite being filled with sugary treats. As the rest of the girls were about to enter the school's front doors, ready to take their instruments back home, they immediately noticed something was unusual. There were two police cars parked outside the faculty lot, almost as if the officers were conducting heavy surveillance around campus. The girls didn't think much of it, before realizing that the front doors had been locked.

"Hey, what gives?" Rainbow pulled the door handle. "We still have to get our instruments!"

"Hmm, it looks like there's a notice put up by Principal Celestia." Twilight observed and began reading the note out loud. "It says here that due to an act of vandalism, the school will have to be locked up for the rest of the day, as a safety precaution."

"Oh no, who would do such a thing?" Fluttershy said, rather concerned. "You think that would explain why there are police cars here?"

"Well, it's probably nothing to worry about." Applejack reassured. "Let's just head back to the music room tomorrow, and we can figure this all out later, especially since graduation will be the day after tomorrow."

"And that's another thing." Twilight continued reading the notice. "Graduation's now been pushed back another day, due to some... technical issues with staff. She also sent an email notification to everybody, regarding both the vandalism and date change."

"Well, at least we can all take that extra day to prepare for graduation." Rarity replied. "I was beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed with deciding what specifically I should wear under my graduation gown."

"I reckon nobody would be able to see much of it, if you're wearin' a gown on top of an outfit." Applejack sighed. "But hey, at least we're all excited for graduation, right?"

"It's not like I was excited about it anymore, since Sunset decided she doesn't want to be my friend anymore..." Pinkie said, almost no positive energy coming from her voice. "I just wish I still had someone special to share this moment with."

"Come now, Pinkie, I'm sure there's still a reasonable explanation behind why Sunset was acting like that." Rarity tried to comfort her friend. "Besides, we'll always be here for you, won't we girls?"

The rest of the girls nodded in agreement, though they themselves were also rather perplexed by 'Sunset' acting the way she did to Pinkie that night. But they were still willing to give Sunset a fair chance to let her explain herself, especially after the whole Anon-a-Miss incident awhile back. Well... all except for Pinkie, who felt as if she didn't even know who Sunset was anymore.

"Well, speaking of Sunset, I'm not entirely sure when she's available to meet with us, but I'm thinking it's best that I let her know about the new graduation date." Twilight said, before taking a magical journal out of her backpack. "It's a good thing that she gave me this journal to help us keep in touch easier, much like she did with the other... me."

"Do you think she'd still want to talk to you, after what she said?" Pinkie still wasn't able to get the dark thoughts out of her head. "Actually, never mind... maybe I'll just... ditch her."

"But Pinkie, you don't mean that!" Fluttershy said, rather worried about Pinkie's mental health. "Of course she'll still want to be friends with you! You two were so close before!"

"As soon as we find Sunset again, we'll all need to get a better understanding of what happened that night." Twilight stayed true to her beliefs, as she continued writing in the journal. "Until we talk to her ourselves, we won't just drop her as a friend, especially after everything we've been through together. Now then, hopefully Sunset can get this message as soon as possible, in case she somehow misses the principal's email..."


Sunset continued her trek on Everfree Island, as she was guiding Gloriosa through the jungle, in the hopes of convincing Captain Spruce to call off his attack. The two ponies climbed atop a larger hill to get a better view of everything, and spotted it rather far away on the open seas, the pirate ship in question. However, Gloriosa knew that realistically, if her brother was here for the treasure, simply talking to Timber wouldn't be able to accomplish much, especially given his stubborn pride and greed over the years. As such, she stopped for a moment to brainstorm how specifically Timber could be reasoned with, and if there were any leverages they could use to their advantage.

"I've been thinking... maybe if we could find something else of real value that Timber would want, it might make him listen to reason..." Gloriosa suggested. "Something he wouldn't be able to resist at all."

"Well, the main reason he's attacking everypony right now?" Sunset replied. "He's specifically forcing us to steal Everfree Island's treasure. Unfortunately, it's a conundrum based on the fact that... the spirit guarding the treasure will forever haunt and curse us if we take anything."

"Hmm... then perhaps we should find something else that he'd want." Gloriosa pondered. "Something that would make him want to leave Everfree Island behind for good."

Both ponies gave it some thought, but weren't able to come up with anything. More likely than not, Timber would not rest until he could get his hooves on the legendary treasure, even if it meant facing treason for willingly attacking a princess. Gloriosa deduced that unless they were able to use fake treasure to persuade those pirates to let them go, they were out of luck. Even then, it'd be likely that the pirates would be able to tell the difference between real and forged gemstones, making the idea seem rather silly on hindsight. But while thinking of a potential treasure, Gloriosa then looked at the Dragonstone, which Sunset was still holding.

"What is that you're carrying?" Gloriosa tilted her head, curiously. "Is that some kind of... treasure?"

"It's not exactly a treasure... but it's a very powerful artifact." Sunset explained. "This was the only thing that the guardian spirit would let us take. It's called the Dragonstone, and it's said to be able to activate by... well, we're not exactly sure yet. All I know is that when I accidentally activated this, it managed to completely wipe out an entire horde of those undead skeleton creatures. But then, I couldn't get it to work again. You don't suggest... giving this to Timber, do you?"

"Well, it could be worth a try." Gloriosa shrugged. "If it'll get him to stop attacking, we could always take it back, right?"

"I had a feeling you'd say that." Sunset analyzed the situation, remembering the Midnight Sparkle incident, as well as what she learned regarding magical artifacts and its user's intentions. "But... we don't really know how it works, or what kind of power it has, which could transfer to Timber because of his greed and bad intentions. It could be dangerous, and we can't risk such power to end up being used against us. Besides, even if it does make him stop attacking us temporarily, there's no guarantee that it'll make him stop good. After getting consumed with power, he might just want more of it..."

"Then I guess we're back to square one." Gloriosa sighed. "I wish there was some other way. I mean, I have this old amulet that my great grandfather passed down to me, but I can't imagine it's more valuable than Everfree Island's treasure. I considered talking to my brother one more time, but I know that deep down, that's not going to change anything."

"Why would you say that?" Sunset questioned. "You're his big sister, I'm sure he'd at least listen to what you had to say."

"Being his sibling, I know how stubborn he can truly be." Gloriosa replied. "Even when we were younger, he would never listen to me, and now that he's older and thinks he knows everything, it's only gotten worse. Before we went our separate ways in life, I've tried talking to him countless times, but it never seemed to make a difference. He claimed that he wanted to do this to carry on the legacy of our great grandparents, by becoming a pirate. I just wish I could find some other way to convince him that what he's doing is wrong..."

"Come to think of it, if we were to go out into the sea to reach him..." Sunset thought to herself. "How'd you even get to the island, by boat?"

"Yeah, but unfortunately, we can't use it anymore." Gloriosa sighed. "It brought me close enough to the island, but... I hadn't done my maintenance inspections on it, it's been a while since I've sailed out to sea. My boat... sank shortly before I reached land, which forced me to paddle to shore with a plank of wood."

"Well, that's unfortunate." Sunset replied, realizing that Gloriosa faced a similar situation to her own crew.

Just then, the two ponies were approached by Flash and Night Glider, who were ready to report back what Twilight and the others had told them at the camp.

"Night Glider, Flash, there you are." Sunset addressed the ponies standing before them. "Well, any new report from the others?"

"Sadly, I've got bad news." Night Glider began. "As it turns out, the sturdy wood that's absolutely needed to balance out the escape boat's deck? We can't find anymore of it, and we've used up most of those resources on the first boat that got destroyed earlier. According to Captain Zest's calculations, if we continue building our emergency escape boat with the non-sturdy wood, we have a pretty good chance of the boat sinking before it even makes it several meters from the island."

"That's definitely troublesome." Sunset pondered. "So in other words, even going out to sea to reach the pirate ship will be challenging, never mind actually defeating Captain Spruce and his crew."

"We can't just rely on the Enchantment Tonic's artificial magic either to face those vicious pirates." Night Glider added. "In fact, I think we're already running low on it, and we'd definitely need as much backup as we can possibly get."

"Goodness, you're not thinking of... harming my brother, are you?" Gloriosa said, rather worried.

"Well, he's not exactly acting like a loving and caring brother right now, is he?" Flash replied. "But no, we won't go down that path just yet, we'll find another way. If only we could reliably get back onto the pirate ship to confront those pirates... but what can we do?"

"Confronting the pirates... with real magic..." Sunset began to brainstorm, before realizing they knew someone who could do just that. "Maybe we have just the solution!"

"What do you mean?" Gloriosa asked, rather confused. "Who's capable of doing that?"

Sunset then looked around the hill, before spotting a familiar gem encrusted grotto a short distance away. Knowing that her group had ended things on a good note with Gaea Everfree, it gave her an idea to see if they could potentially negotiate with the spirit, since they now technically shared a common enemy, those pirates.

"I see the grotto over there!" Sunset pointed. "Flash, Night Glider? Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"But... you really think she'd help us?" Flash said, unsure of the idea.

"I don't know for certain, but it's worth a shot, isn't it?" Sunset replied. "I'm sure that she'll understand our situation, and if we explain everything to her, she'll help us. Besides, she wouldn't want those pirates to steal her treasure, either."

"Then I'll come with you, just in case." Flash said, holding his katana up. "Night Glider, you get back with the others and see if they need any more help."

"Understood." Night Glider nodded. "Be careful out there."

As Night Glider ran back to the camp again, Sunset was accompanied by Gloriosa and Flash, as they were headed back to the grotto where Gaea Everfree had hidden her treasure. It didn't seem like a foolproof plan, as Gaea Everfree could still very easily refuse to help, especially given how these ponies were trespassing once again. However, Sunset kept in mind that the island's spirit was capable of sinking vessels, and internally questioned how exactly those pirates were casually near the shores, completely undisturbed to shoot cannonballs as they pleased.

The three ponies had entered the grotto from behind the waterfall, and eventually made it all the way back into the same room where Gaea Everfree had ambushed them, under the impression that they were after her treasure. Sunset and Gloriosa entered and approached the center of the room, while Flash stayed behind near the entrance, keeping watch for anything hostile. Feeling the ponies' living presence once more within her grotto's treasure stash, Gaea Everfree began to awaken again, stopping at nothing to ensure none of her valuables would be taken.

"OooOooOooOooOooOooOooOoo..." Gaea Everfree began, attempting to scare the supposed intruders once more.

"W-What in Equestria is that!?" Gloriosa shrieked.

"Shhhhh, don't worry." Sunset assured. "This spirit... she may be able to help us."

The island's spirit had suddenly materialized out of thin air like she did before, and took an immediate glance at the two ponies trespassing within her grotto. Although expecting to act intimidating and protective over her treasure, Gaea Everfree immediately recognized Sunset, and simply calmed herself, instead becoming rather curious at why this particular pony had returned.

"...Oh, hello." Gaea Everfree greeted Sunset once again, somewhat confused. "I certainly wasn't expecting to see you again, did you... forget something?"

"C-C-C-C-Could it b-b-b-be!?" Gloriosa's eyes widened upon seeing the island's guardian spirit. "Are you... G-G-G-G-Gaea Everfree!? I k-know that name from the legendary stories told by the many sailors of Equestria!"

"Why yes, how nice of you to recognize me from my famous legend." Gaea Everfree replied, before getting a good look at Gloriosa. "Hmm, why do you seem so familiar? Who are you?"

"G-G-G-Gloriosa Daisy!" Gloriosa said, rather intimidated. "L-L-Listen, my dear brother is out there right now, being a ruthless pirate captain, attacking these poor ponies with cannonballs!"

"That must explain the cannon noises and commotion I keep hearing outside the grotto." Gaea Everfree understood. "I haven't bothered to check, since nopony else was attempting to storm this sacred cave."

"Furthermore, the pirate captain's not letting any of us escape, unless we bring him your treasure." Sunset added. "Which... is very much out of the question, since I already know you're definitely not okay with the idea."

"Such a foolish thing to do..." Gaea Everfree replied. "A pirate captain? I've encountered enough pirates over the centuries to know that you should never trust pirates. They'd simply take that treasure and make you walk the plank without a second thought! Because of this, I've been using my magical vines to sink any large ships that approach in the direction of the island."

"That's why we're here, we understand you won't give up your treasure, but we still need to find a way to stop those pirates." Sunset said. "But now that you know there's a pirate ship waiting just outside the coastline, how come you weren't able to detect them before? And are you able to sink their boat now, just to stop them from attacking the island?"

"Well, the ship had been out there for a while, lurking off of the coast." Gaea Everfree began explaining. "It didn't seem hostile at first, so I didn't feel the need to interfere. As for sinking it, I actually tried to earlier, once I noticed it was approaching the locale. My attack made me realize that the vessel's made of a special type of wood resistant to thorns and vines, protecting it from my magical abilities."

"It must be that special, Equestrian Buloke wood that my family used for our boat business." Gloriosa reflected. "We... discontinued that brand of wood due to the cost, and I guess one of the ships we crafted eventually landed in the hooves of a pirate gang, which my brother took over."

"So in that case, Gaea Everfree can't simply sink their boat..." Sunset stood there, perplexed. "Well, if you can't sink the pirate ship, do you perhaps have a way to bring us onto their vessel? Better yet, since you created that mysterious fog that took away our natural magic, do you have a way to undo the fog's effects and let us have our magic back?"

"I can't." Gaea Everfree replied. "The fog's spell will persist, as long as you're in a certain range, which extends all over the island. The only way for you to get your magic back, is by exiting the spell's reach. I made the spell this way to ensure no intruders could easily use magic to get their hooves on my treasure."

"I guess that makes sense." Sunset nodded. "Then... if we want to reach those pirates, what would you recommend instead?"

"The best solution would be to create a tidal wave toward the pirate ship, allowing you to board it." Gaea Everfree suggested. "Unfortunately, the last time I encountered some pirates storming the island, they took my most valuable possession... the Amulet of Gaea, a powerful artifact that granted me control over the water. Without that amulet, I wouldn't be of much help."

"Amulet of... Gaea!?" Gloriosa realized that this sounded like a certain family heirloom she had kept for years, prompting her to take it out of her shirt's pocket. "You mean this? I seem to remember my great grandfather, Old Spice, passing it down to me."

The room illuminated from the shininess of an amulet with a bright magenta, flower-shaped gem, similar to the gems encrusted on the grotto's entrance. Although initially hopeful that the spirit would be willing to take the amulet back and help them defeat the pirates, something unexpected had happened instead. Gaea Everfree's eyes had widened upon seeing Gloriosa holding the stolen artifact. She became enraged that this pony had connections to the same culprit who had attempted to pillage her grotto, over a century ago.

"YOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU!!!" Gaea Everfree snapped, the grotto beginning to shake from her rage. "So you have my precious amulet!!! I should've suspected from your outfit, you pirates are all the same!"

"W-W-Wait, I can explain!" Gloriosa tried her best to explain herself. "My great grandfather gave it to me... I didn't realize it belonged to you... I'll give it back, I promise, just please help us with the pirates! I'll return this amulet that was passed down to me as an heirloom throughout the generations, and you'll use its powers to help us reach the pirate ship. Sounds like a pretty fair deal, wouldn't you think so as well, old friend?"

"Don't you even think about calling me a friend!" Gaea Everfree hissed. "No wonder you seemed so familiar, you resemble this pirate by the name of Old Spice! Your so-called great grandfather was anything but a great stallion, he STOLE that amulet from me, like a dirty, conniving crook! You seem incredibly foolish to admit this to me, and then have the nerve to ask for my help! I should instead suffocate you with my vines, so that I'll never have to deal with any more generations of you scoundrels!"

"Gaea Everfree, please hear us out." Sunset stepped up, almost reminding her of the time she first reunited with Princess Celestia to explain herself. "She's just as surprised as I am that this amulet belonged to you, and she's willing to rightfully return it. But you said it's needed to help us reach the pirate ship, right? I'm sure if we work together, we can all get what we want. You'll keep your treasure protected, and we'll all return home safely, without worrying about those pirates slowing us down. Please, you're our only hope now."

The two ponies just stood there, as Gaea Everfree gave this some thought. The spirit knew that if she simply suffocated these ponies here and now with her vines, she'd be on her own to fend off against those pirates. And if the pirate gang were to storm into her grotto, she'd most likely lose far more than just the amulet, especially since their ship was practically indestructible to her vines. Helping these ponies out would potentially benefit her in the long run, especially since she herself had the eternal duty in the afterlife to watch over the island and her precious valuables.

"Fine, you have my word, I shall assist you." Gaea Everfree agreed. "But I'll be keeping a close eye on you, Gloriosa. If I see even the slightest hint of treachery, much like your great grandfather, I won't hesitate to crush you with my vines!"

"Th-Thank you, Gaea Everfree, I promise I won't let you down." Gloriosa shuttered, before holding the amulet out. "N-Now here, take the amulet back."

Gaea Everfree used her magic to levitate the amulet out of Gloriosa's hooves, finally taking back what was taken from her over a century ago. As she began absorbing the amulet's magic from within, the spirit could finally feel a new sense of control over the water surrounding the island, return to her.

"At last, I finally have control over not only the Earth and plants, but also the waters surrounding Everfree Island!" Gaea Everfree said, satisfied. "I was getting rather tired of hearing those cannonball noises outside my grotto anyways."

"Second it, Gaea Everfree." Sunset nodded. "Thank you so much for your help. Now, let's hurry and get to those pirates before they cause any more trouble."

The grotto then began to shift, with plants and vines moving aside to reveal a hidden path behind a cove, leading outside to the sea.

"Follow the path I've revealed, it will lead you to the pirate ship." Gaea Everfree explained.

"Wait, one last thing before we go." Gloriosa turned to the spirit a final time. "The rest of my family had always spoken so highly of my great grandparents. Since you actually met them, what were they really like, since you claimed that they were pirates who had stolen your amulet?"

"Captain Old Spice was a fierce and ferocious pirate, and although he succeeded in stealing my amulet, thousands of moons ago, he somehow managed to leave behind his diary." Gaea Everfree described, before using her magic to levitate an old diary hidden behind her treasure stash. "Why bother explaining the rest when you can read it for yourself?"

Gloriosa began skimming the diary's pages, trying to get an idea on why specifically her great grandparents had passed down Gaea Everfree's amulet as a family heirloom. She immediately knew that this was definitely her great grandfather's hoofwriting, as it matched the old letters he had written to the rest of the family, shortly before passing away. To Gloriosa's horror, Old Spice had certainly revealed his true colors in several of these diary entries, including why he had given up the Amulet of Gaea.

Captain's Entry, Day 47
Today is the last day that I will get to admire this beautiful amulet that I had stolen from a desert island, by outsmarting this dumb spirit. Unfortunately, my children had kept questioning where I bought this, given how poor we had always been. They even began eavesdropping, when my blabbermouth of a wife had revealed our next plan to pillage one of Canterlot's ships, and stealing their riches. Our children had discovered that the amulet was stolen, and they demanded an explanation. Desperate to keep them quiet and protect our reputation, we gave them the amulet as a gift, hoping that the treasure would be enough of a bribe. It ended up working, as we even forced them to never speak of this with anypony else. We had stolen just enough wealth over the years for our retirement, but our children should think twice if they think they'll get any of it as inheritance when we're gone.

"Oh no..." Gloriosa's eyes widened as she kept reading. "So that's why... how could my great grandparents have the nerve to call this an heirloom when it was stolen!?"

"Whatever the reason, they were anything but honest and reputable ponies." Gaea Everfree frowned. "I hope you understand now why I had to do what I did, to prevent large ships from coming to my island."

"Gloriosa, didn't you mention that Timber wanted to carry on the legacy of your great grandparents?" Sunset recalled. "Maybe if you showed him this diary to help him realize what they were really like..."

"That's a great idea." Gloriosa nodded. "He's always been deluded in thinking he's carrying on a great legacy, when in reality, he's becoming just as bad, if not worse than our pirate ancestors."

"Whatever works in the end, I just want you to get rid of those pirates." Gaea Everfree added. "But once you're on there, you'll be on your own. My magical protection won't extend to you while you're on their ship, so I hope you're prepared for what you're about to face."

"Don't worry, we'll be fine." Sunset understood what needed to be done. "We'll make sure to give you a proper thanks, once we return."

"We're with you, too." Night Glider said, as she trotted into the same room, along with Flash, Twilight, Captain Zest, Ragamuffin, Rainbow, Sunny Flare, and Cheese Sandwich.

"Oh, hey everypony." Sunset greeted the entire group. "How did you...?"

"Night Glider told us that you had a plan which involved the island's spirit, Gaea Everfree." Twilight replied. "Besides, now that the camp was completely destroyed, we had to find a place to hide from those undead skeleton creatures."

"Gaea Everfree here, said that she can help us board my brother's ship." Gloriosa explained. "However, she isn't able to help us when we board that ship. So it looks like we have about... ten ponies here to help convince Timber to cease his attack?"

"It would make sense, but perhaps we should have a group of ponies staying behind on the island." Twilight began to plan out her strategy.

"Why would we do that, Princess?" Ragamuffin inquired. "Better to have more backup to fight those brutes, right?"

"Because it's always best to have a backup plan." Twilight explained. "If something were to go wrong, or if those pirates still manage to overpower and capture us, we'll need to have somepony here on the island who can assist us further, just in case. Which of us should stay behind, while everypony else confronts those pirates?"

"If we need a group to remain on the island, maybe I should be part of it." Sunset suggested. "Just in case we get attacked, I could try to activate the Dragonstone again."

"Captain Zest and I could join you." Rainbow volunteered. "We need plenty of backup to fend off against those skeletons. I mean, unless Gaea Everfree herself could stop them?"

"These undead skeleton creatures you speak of... they're out of my control." Gaea Everfree replied. "So it's a good idea to have an efficient team here on the island, since there's only so much I can do to fight them off."

"Alright, then I guess I'll stick around and use my katana, if needed." Flash spoke up. "It may be better to send the remaining six ponies to the pirate ship, just to outnumber them. Twilight, Ragamuffin, Sunny Flare, Night Glider, Cheese Sandwich, and Gloriosa, can you all handle the task?"

"Does everypony here agree with our military strategy?" Twilight looked around the room, noticing that everypony else was nodding or muttering in agreement.

"Once you go down this side entrance, I'll be able to use my powers to give you ponies a lift onto the ship with a tidal wave." Gaea Everfree began explaining. "Oh, and one last thing I should remind you of. The curse from the fog that removed everypony's magic is tied to my treasure. So if anything were to happen to my treasure, you would all lose your magic, permanently. You've been warned..."

"Well, in that case, my team and I will make certain nothing bad happens to the treasure." Sunset replied. "Thanks for agreeing to help us out, Gaea Everfree. Now come on, everypony! It's time to stop those pirates once and for all!"

With this said and done, Gloriosa led her new team into the path that Gaea Everfree had opened for them, before eventually finding themselves on a small segment of land surrounded by a body of water, with a light at the end of the tunnel, leading outside. Gaea Everfree began using her amulet to create a powerful gust on the water, strong enough to bring the entire crew toward Captain Spruce's ship. Internally, Gloriosa was hoping that she could change Timber's mind about his life decisions, praying that she could give her brother the final push he needed.

As this was happening, Captain Spruce and his pirate gang were still awaiting aboard their ship, cannonballs at the ready. The pirate captain himself was growing rather impatient, expecting those ponies on the island to surrender soon. Regardless, he continued firing cannonballs, knowing that sooner or later, somepony would have to answer and give in to his demands.

"Ye scallywags can't hide forever!" Timber grunted from atop the bow. "Either find the treasure of Everfree Island for me crew, or ye shall suffer!"

Before the pirate captain could fire his next cannonball, he began to hear a mysterious voice echo from the distance. Gaea Everfree was about to send over a whole crew of ponies to take down those pirates, and wanted to make certain, that they would understand that attempting to steal her treasure was a big mistake.

"YOU SALTY OLD PIRATES ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO SHALL SUFFER!!!" Gaea Everfree roared from her grotto, loud enough to be heard.

"What the-!?" Timber shrieked, completely taken aback from this.

Suddenly, from behind the island's cove, a large tidal wave began to erupt, sending a large crew of ponies headed toward the direction of the pirate ship. The crew approaching the vessel consisted of Twilight, Sunny Flare, Night Glider, Ragamuffin, Cheese Sandwich, and Gloriosa Daisy. Before long, the six ponies made it aboard the ship, ready to finally teach those pirates a real lesson. But before Bif, Rogue, and Withers could even raise their swords to begin attacking, Captain Spruce stopped them, before getting a good look at one of these ponies, who seemed the most familiar.

"Gloriosa...?" Timber addressed, completely surprised to see his big sister, after a long absence.

"Well, well, well... it seems the roles have reversed, little brother." Gloriosa replied. "It's been a long time."

"It's been... too long, big sis." Timber sighed, before remembering his main motive. "Ye know I can't let ye stop me from findin' Everfree Island's treasure. Not now, after all this time, especially after I lost me treasure map back in the day."

"Timber... I'm sorry." Gloriosa apologized for what happened that day. "But I can't let you keep hurting innocent ponies like this. You know that mom and dad wouldn't have wanted this for you, they would've approved of us earning an honest bit from our boat business."

"Even then... it's far too late for me now." Timber said, still insistent. "The legendary treasure... I came all this way."

"Why?" Gloriosa crossed her hooves. "What are you even trying to prove by stealing some riches that'll curse you for the rest of your days?"

"Look, I just... I wanted to make a name for meself." Timber confessed. "Be a pirate legend, just like our great grandparents once were. I know it sounds selfish, but... it was always their dyin' wish. For one of us to storm Everfree Island again someday, and reclaim the treasure that was rightfully theirs."

"Oh, Timber..." Gloriosa sighed, tears starting to form in her eyes. "I wish you could've told me. I... I would've understood. I would've helped you make that dream come true, but you've gone about it the wrong way, and now look where it's gotten you. You've put not only your life in danger, but also the lives of your friends and family as well."

"I wouldn't exactly say he's our friend." Bif chimed in. "We're only here cause we're getting paid by the hour."

"Yeah, if he was our real friend, he'd at least cook us some waffles for breakfast." Rogue added. "But no, he had to get that friend of yours to do that."

"I was honestly expecting some decent dental insurance when I applied for this job." Withers sighed. "You can never trust a pirate, it seems."

"Well, at least we finally share one thing in common with you pirates, disdain for your captain there." Sunny Flare joined the conversation. "Certainly wasn't cool of you to destroy our escape boat."

"I have a good mind to imprison all of you for treason." Twilight added. "I mean, attacking a princess of all ponies? Certainly not a wise choice."

As both groups stared each other down, the former henchponies of Dr. Caballeron noticed a sudden shift in their captain, realizing that he seemed more and more hesitant in their original plan of pushing these ponies aside, and forcing them to steal the treasure of Everfree Island. Knowing that Captain Spruce's sister was slowing them down, Bif and Rogue slowly whispered to Withers, urging him to follow up with their secret plan to eventually overthrow their own captain, in the chance that something like this would occur. Withers slowly backed away from the group, which nopony else took notice of, as they were more focused on the approach Timber would take after finally being told off by his big sister.

"I'm sorry I've put ye all in danger..." Timber said, before lowering his sword. "I didn't mean for any of this, I just wanted to get rich and prove I wasn't a failure in me family. Me big sister had one of the most successful flower businesses in Ponyville, while I essentially ran our boat business into the ground, I felt I needed to find me purpose."

"It's not too late, brother." Gloriosa said, slowly approaching him. "You can still change your path, come with us, and we'll help you find your purpose. It doesn't have to be treasure hunting, and maybe we could find something else that would make you happy."

"Ye... really think everypony here will accept that?" Timber said, rather astonished. "After all I've done?"

"Well... you're definitely going to have to take responsibility for your actions, of course." Cheese Sandwich said, trying to analyze the situation. "I mean, I was just taking a cruise to see if it would be enjoyable for my upcoming wedding, and now here I am, being a stowaway on a pirate ship, after struggling to survive on a desert island. When does this kind of thing usually happen?"

Everypony else in Gloriosa's group muttered in agreement, the sheer absurdity of everything they had to go through, simply because of these pirates' actions. Regardless, Gloriosa welcomed Timber back into her hooves, as the two siblings reconciled over their differences. It seemed as though Timber's bitterness and resentment stemmed primarily from being apart from his family, similar to how much closer the first reunion between Sunset and Celestia went. As much as Twilight thought about this while watching the siblings reunite, she admittedly couldn't be as happy, given the circumstances. But just as Gloriosa's group thought as if everything was going to be okay now, the other pirate members spoke up.

"So, ponies think you've won, have you?" Bif asked, rhetorically. "That since our captain's just as much of a softy as Caballeron himself, we'll simply surrender and let you go on your way?"

"Yeah, we came all this way to get that treasure, and we're willing to overthrow our captain just to do that!" Rogue added.

"Well, we still outnumber you, more than before." Ragamuffin replied. "But if you'd like, we can settle this the old fashioned way. There's no way that you two can handle all of us at once."

"...Two?" Twilight said, rather confused. "Wait... weren't there three other pirate members here, besides Timber?"

"How observant." Rogue sneered, before stomping his hoof on the deck, signaling Withers to fire a large volley of cannonballs from underneath.

As Withers fired the cannons, the projectiles were aimed directly at the island's volcano in the distance. The cannonball barrage penetrated and shattered the top of the volcano, causing a massive explosion of rock and lava, as well as sending a giant wave of superheated air and debris in every direction. Everfree Island would soon be engulfed in chaos, as the volcano began shaking violently, soon to create an imminent eruption of molten rock and ash. Sunset and her group had witnessed this on the island themselves, dreading what was about to come. The sounds of the volcano getting ready to blow in a matter of minutes had induced fear into everypony, other than the three henchponies.

"YOU FOOLS!!!" Sunny Flare screeched, completely aghast at this. "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU'VE JUST DONE!?!?!?"

"Oh, you mean how we just sealed our fate and everypony else's?" Bif cackled psychotically. "That's a good one, though I think we've made our point pretty clear. If we can't have that treasure, nopony can!"

"Besides, maybe your little captain friend can make me my waffles easier with magma!" Rogue joked, only enraging Twilight at these pirates for putting Sunset, Flash, Rainbow, and Captain Zest all in grave danger.

"EVERYPONY!!!" Twilight exploded, getting ready to give these henchponies what was coming to them. "Get those three stallions and tie them up!!!!!!"

The rest of the group, including Timber, had immediately sprang into action, wrangling and eventually capturing the three pirate henchponies, by tying them up with chains. None of them had seemed bothered at getting captured, since they all felt internally satisfied at the fact that nopony else would be keeping the same treasure, that would soon be destroyed from the volcano's lava. While thinking of the volcano, everypony else suddenly turned their attention to it, before noticing that the opening continued to shake violently. Suddenly, molten rock had spewed forth in every direction, obscuring the sky with a blanket of dark ashes. The air was filled with the sound of explosions and the hissing of superheated gas, prompting Gloriosa to take the wheel of the ship, as she knew Sunset and the others were still on the island.

In the distance, Gloriosa could vaguely notice Sunset, Flash, Rainbow, and Captain Zest all running toward the shore, as they had ran for safety, after noticing the volcano spewing scorching magma. Although Gloriosa was sailing in the direction of the island for a daring rescue, Sunset's group had stopped them.

"Don't worry about my brother and the pirates!" Gloriosa shouted. "We've taken care of everything, and can come rescue you now!"

"Wait, don't come for us just yet!" Sunset yelled from a distance. "We can't just leave under these conditions!"

"Why not!?" Night Glider called out from the deck. "It looks like that eruption was so powerful, the lava will flow and engulf the entire island!"

"Exactly!" Rainbow replied. "Don't you remember what Gaea Everfree told us!? If anything were to happen to her treasure, the curse would be permanent! None of us would get to fly or use our magic ever again!"

"Better yet, who knows if that curse will have other long-term effects!?" Lemon Zest added. "Risky as it seems, we must find a way to stop the lava!"

"Plus, you're now the Princess of Equestria, Twilight!" Flash reminded. "Equestria will be so much more vulnerable against future threats if you permanently lose your magic!"

"You're right, I hadn't thought of that!" Twilight replied, but still fearing the safety of her friends remaining on the island. "Sunset, maybe the Dragonstone's the key to fixing everything!?"

"Remember the riddle!" Cheese Sandwich began reciting it once more. "What is taken by all, but given by few, and kept by none!?"

"We're going to have to figure it out, one way or another!" Sunset yelled, before motioning for the pirate ship to stop. "Don't bother coming closer to the island, we don't want to put more lives in danger than necessary! My group and I will figure out if the riddle's key to activating the Dragonstone, and we'll stop the volcano from engulfing the entire island! Wish us luck!"

With that said, Sunset, Flash, Rainbow, and Captain Zest, all dashed toward the jungle, the lava flowing ever closer. Everypony else remained safely on the vessel, but were filled with anxiety, as they could only watch and hope that Sunset's group would be able to stop the volcano in time. However, the situation was looking more dire by the minute, as they noticed that the lava was now engulfing nearly a quarter of the island, and the clouds of ashes in the sky were becoming much thicker. Even ignoring the danger of the lava, the imminent threat of being suffocated from those toxic ash fumes was just as present.

Sunset and her group knew that the grotto was on the other side of the island, but it was only a matter of time before the lava would soon seep into the caves as well. The four ponies ran as fast as they could, past the foliage, skeletal remains, and waterfall, before eventually getting ready to return to Gaea Everfree. Perhaps if anyone had the powers capable of stopping the volcano, it was the spirit of the island herself, who was already capable of controlling the plants, Earth, and water. However, as everypony soon entered Gaea Everfree's treasure chamber, they noticed the spirit standing before them, looking rather weakened.

"What's... happened...?" Gaea Everfree turned around, speaking rather hoarsely.

"Those pirates ended up causing a volcanic eruption with their cannonballs, and now there's lava headed this way!" Lemon Zest explained.

"Do you maybe have a way to stop the lava with your magical powers?" Rainbow suggested.

"I fear my powers are... drained." Gaea Everfree had attempted to use her abilities of the Earth to control the magma's flow, but instead, only weakened herself even further from the strain. "The volcano's ashes have weakened me... I cannot stop the lava on my own. I suspect the volcano outweighs my own powers... it hasn't erupted like this in over 1,000 years..."

Gaea Everfree's magic had deteriorated so much, she could no longer even become part of the mortal realm, before slowly dissipating and fading away.

"Then we have to find a way to stop it ourselves!" Sunset said, holding up the Dragonstone. "Let's go back the way we came and see if there's something else we're missing!"

But just as the group was heading back and approaching the grotto's entrance, the unimaginable had happened. The magma had caught up much faster than expected, and completely surrounded the cave's entrance, forcing Sunset and her team to head back again, to avoid being cooked to a crisp. Rainbow and Captain Zest had attempted to knock some stalactites off of the cavern's ceiling, hoping that a barricade of rocks would buy them some time, almost like a lava dam. This had only bought them some time once the magma rapidly approached, and they could see that their barricade would melt away from the scorching lava very soon.

"We've gotta figure out how to use this thing!" Sunset looked at the Dragonstone, still unsure of how she did it before. "Think... how did I activate this when those skeletons were attacking us?"

"You somehow activated it when those creatures began to corner us with no other way out?" Rainbow recalled. "But... that doesn't explain why it stopped working, soon after."

"We still have yet to figure out what that riddle carved on the volcano was trying to tell us." Lemon Zest continued trying to decipher it. "Taken by all, given by few, and kept by none... what does that mean?"

"I think the key words here are 'taken' and 'kept'..." Sunset pondered. "Maybe it's referring to the Dragonstone, in the sense that we have to... share the power of the artifact? Actually wait, no, that doesn't make much sense either."

"Sunset, could I see the Dragonstone real fast?" Flash requested.

Sunset handed Flash the Dragonstone, as he began analyzing the situation. He began to have a somewhat confident answer for the riddle, as he looked behind him, noticing the grotto's walls lighting up from the now approaching magma. The three mares were desperately hoping Flash knew what he was doing, as this was life or death for all of them. Suddenly, Flash began to recite what Sunset had said when she first activated the Dragonstone, but this time, the artifact's main power source had extended to him.

"We're running out of time here..." Flash recited, as he stared down the lava that would soon engulf the grotto. "But that's okay. What is taken by all, but given by few, and kept by none? The answer is time. Time is taken by us all, is a gift that few truly give freely, and ultimately, none of us keep in the end. Time is inextricably linked to the power of the Dragonstone, as it allows the user to control the flow of lava, which is essentially a time-based phenomenon. It'll grant me the ability to manipulate and control the passage of time within the lava flow, allowing me to either speed it up or slow it down. This riddle serves as a reminder that the power of the Dragonstone is not just about controlling fire, but also about harnessing the power of time and sacrifice."

Just as Flash had finished, the Dragonstone had granted him even greater power than before, allowing him to hover a bit, before eventually using his new magic to stop the flow of the lava. All seemed well at first, until Flash realized that although his answer to the riddle was correct, it was also quite literal. The grotto began to rumble, before the lava would inevitably start flowing again, as time was running out. Flash looked back for a second at his companions, as he signaled them to move back, knowing that he was the only one who could stop the lava by himself, and it was time to fulfill his main life's destiny, performing a heroic sacrifice, much like his father before him. Flash's royal guard armor had also begun to disintegrate, as he was in the process of truly sacrificing everything he held dear to feed into the Dragonstone's power.

The three mares stared in horror at this, as Sunset ran up to him in tears, hoping that there was another way. However, Flash insisted for her to stay away, before speaking to Sunset one last time.

"Don't worry... I know what I'm doing." Flash said, firmly. "This is what I was born to do, as my dad had done himself. Sunset... promise me that you'll stop Chestnut at all costs, and that my sacrifice won't be in vain."

"I... I promise..." Sunset choked, tears streaming down her face as she slowly backed away from Flash. "I'll make sure that awful pegasus will get exactly what's coming to her..."

"Flash, no!" Rainbow shouted, as she tried to run up to him, only to be stopped by Sunset. "Maybe it doesn't have to end like this, I'm coming over to help you!"

"He's gone, Rainbow..." Sunset said, wiping her tears away. "He's doing this for us, for all of Equestria. If you go now and let yourself be absorbed by the Dragonstone too, he'll have done it for nothing..."

Rainbow gave a sigh of sadness, before realizing that Sunset was right, as she noticed Flash was already becoming one with the Dragonstone, and the process of sacrificing himself had already been initiated. She simply nodded, as the three mares backed away slowly, waving goodbye at their fallen friend and hero. Flash smiled at this, knowing internally now that even with him gone, Sunset and the others had the final push they needed to save Equestria from Chestnut, and reclaim the Bewitching Bell. Suddenly, Flash could faintly hear the voice of a familiar stallion, shortly as he was on the verge of death.

"Flash... you've done well..." Sentinel Sentry began to talk to his son from beyond the grave. "I couldn't have asked for a better colt... hopefully with your final heroic deed, you'll finally get to meet me again in the afterlife..."

As Flash heard his father's voice, he felt a wave of peace wash over him. He knew that his father was proud of him, and that he'd done the right thing. In his final moments, he saw a vision of his father, smiling warmly at him, his eyes filled with love and admiration. Flash began to fully embrace the Dragonstone's power flowing through him, burning away his flesh and turning him into a living conduit for the lava, the agony absolutely unbearable. With one final, desperate surge of his strength, Flash guided the lava toward a safe path from where he stood, causing the lava to disperse freely from the grotto, as well as the rest of the lava coming from the active volcano.

As the lava flowed away from the three mares, Flash's body was completely consumed and disintegrated, though the Dragonstone was still intact. With what was left of Flash's energy, the lava was soon directed up into the air, before spewing harmlessly into the sky, getting absorbed from the Dragonstone's magic, almost like a black hole. After every last ounce of lava had begun to dissipate, Sunset, Rainbow, and Captain Zest noticed the Dragonstone glowing a bright green aura, before settling back down, the glow fading. Flash may've been gone, but he took the entirety of the magma with him, as in the distance, the volcano already settled down, and the ashes in the sky had slowly begun fading away.

It was a bittersweet victory for the three mares, as although their own lives were saved, and they still had the Dragonstone to bring back to Canterlot, it came at the cost of their true friend and hero. Sunset trotted back over to pick up the Dragonstone, but not before giving a salute with her hoof to honor the fallen soldier, as Rainbow and Captain Zest did the same, tears flowing down all their cheeks. Gaea Everfree's treasure was saved, and because of this, the curse tied to it would no longer take effect, once they left the island. This was definitely essential, as Sunset knew she and her friends needed as much magical support as possible, not only to stop Chestnut, but any potential future threats to Equestria as well.

The trio of mares had slowly left the grotto, and knew that Twilight would most certainly take the news of Flash's death rather harshly. Regardless, with the lava literally being wiped away, and those pirates no longer being a threat to them, the three mares began to exit the grotto, ready to deliver the sad news to Twilight. Unfortunate as the outcome was, Sunset could still hear a victory theme playing in her head, considering everything she and her friends had been through on Everfree Island, purely to find the Dragonstone.

PreviousChapters Next