• Published 19th Mar 2022
  • 4,290 Views, 276 Comments

Equestria Girls - The Tale of Two Sunsets - HumanSunset63



What could've been for an ending for Equestria Girls...

  • ...
17
 276
 4,290

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 8: A True True Friend

After Sunset and her friends had decided that they caught up enough, they all mutually agreed it was time to head back to their own homes. They were all expected to fetch their instruments from the CHS music room the next day, but since Sunset was likely going to be out of town, Applejack offered to hold on to it until she was ready to come back to pick it up. In the meantime, Sunset had decided go ahead and walk home, now knowing what her next step is as far as going back to Equestria temporarily. While walking back home, Twilight decided to accompany her.

"So, Twilight." Sunset began questioning. "Are you sure you'll be all right here by yourself without me while I'm in Equestria? I mean, at least until graduation, anyway? I know that we've been besties for a while now, and I'd imagine you'd really miss me for quite some time. Or at least, however many moons it's counted as in Equestria."

"It's okay, Sunset." Twilight responded. "I can't keep you from visiting your family, or anyone else back there you'd consider family. I'm guessing you'll be going back to visit not only the other.... Princess Me? But also visiting your parents?

Sunset had realized upon hearing this, up until now, she hadn't mentioned her parents to anyone ever since she left to become Celestia's pupil in Magic Kindergarten. To this day, she never really understood why, but knew for certain that she had vague memories of being taken care of by her father. Unfortunately, Sunset had next to no memory at all of her mother's name and appearance. This meant that even if she was still around in Equestria somewhere, she would have no idea who her mother even was. Many years later up until now, Sunset felt it was finally time to become open, especially to a girl she most certainly trusts.

"I am going back to celebrate with Princess Twilight during her coronation, yes. But as for my parents, that might actually be tricky. I went to Magic Kindergarten at such a young age, I barely even remember what my parents looked like, or even their names. Well, at least my dad anyways. I only have a brief memory of being with my dad before I went off to magic school, and I don't even remember having a mom in my life. I don't know if mom is still out there in Equestria somewhere, or..." Sunset began to tear up a bit, having a bit of a realization of what this could mean. "Maybe I never got to see her because she passed shortly after I was born."

Twilight suddenly felt guilty for asking, despite this being the first time she's ever brought up Sunset's parents. "I'm really sorry to hear, Sunset. I've known my parents my whole life, I couldn't imagine how painful it is to basically grow up without them. My condolences if she really did pass." Twilight then thought of some advice. "But, since your dad was in custody of you when you were younger before you enrolled in this magic school, perhaps you could get his name and address in the school's archives? I'm sure every school has records and information about the students, as well as their parents? At the very least, if he's still living in Equestria somewhere, perhaps you could have a reunion with him?"

"I suppose so, Twilight. And don't worry, it's not your fault, you didn't know. To be honest, this is actually the first time I've opened up about my parents to anyone. Just like..." Sunset knew that she couldn't keep this a secret forever, and that she would have to tell the rest of her friends, especially after graduation. "Twilight, could you keep a secret, at least for now?"

"Of course, Sunset, anything." Twilight nodded.

"I'm actually not planning to go back to Equestria temporarily. In fact, after graduation, there is the possibility of me going back to Equestria for good. I just sometimes feel this world, it's a bit too ordinary for my tastes. Besides the occasional magical imbalance or artifact, but the reason they even exist is because I basically brought them into this world ever since I opened the portal. I still feel there's more for me to do back home in Equestria, and if my dad is still around, I would actually love to get to know him a bit better, now that I'm all grown up. It's hard to tell this to you and the rest of our friends, because they've been by my side ever since I needed to learn accepting friendship, and I'd feel like I'm abandoning you all by doing so. I just feel like now's maybe the best opportunity to bring this up, because it's not likely for us all to keep in contact after High School. We may all be going to different universities, or move out of the city shortly after graduation. So... taking all this in, how would you feel about me doing this, Twilight?" Sunset finished.

Twilight thought about everything Sunset just said for a few seconds, but eventually came back with giving her a hug first. "Sunset, if there's one thing you've taught me in my life, it's that good friends respect each other's decisions. The possibility of you going back to Equestria for good will certainly make me miss you, but you are right. It isn't that much different for the rest of our friends if they go on to do different things with their lives. For all we know, we may never get to see them again. The statistics regarding that are pretty likely. I can't speak for them when I say you wouldn't be abandoning us, but for me, I'll let you know upfront that it doesn't matter to me. I'll be happy if you stay so that we could keep in touch for a little longer, but if you'd rather go home for good after graduation, that is absolutely fine with me. I do of course, also owe you for teaching me friendship, and having me as a friend even after the Friendship Games incident. Without you, I'd imagine I would still be the nerdy, social outcast I once was at Crystal Prep."

Sunset was happy that at the very least, coming clean about her reasons, parents, and possible urge to go back to Equestria for good sat well with Twilight. But she still felt maybe the time wasn't right to let the rest of her friends know, at least until she goes back to Equestria for a bit, to perhaps finalize her decision. As such, she returned the hug from Twilight, and patted her on the back for being a good sport. After that, they continued to walk home together, now hopeful for a brighter future after CHS.

PreviousChapters Next