• Published 26th Jan 2022
  • 10,971 Views, 2,526 Comments

New Endings, Old Starts - David Silver



A well-led life runs into an end. If that was it, it would have been fine, but the forces of the universe were not content, finding another purpose, or perhaps reward, for this being in another world entirely. May she shine gently.

  • ...
61
 2,526
 10,971

PreviousChapters Next
109 - The Path Not Taken

"I think you're telling the truth."

Chaos Comforting tilted her head. "Of course I am."

"You are a chaos creature," reminded Harmony Comforting. "Assuming that feels silly."

"I... Alright, point. I am more chaotic than you, but I'm still Comforting." She spread her arms. "I like helping people, not playing jokes that could hurt them."

Harmony Comforting smiled, her eyes darting to Chaos Comforting's lack of a mark. "You... You have my name and you look like me." She looked back at her own mark, hug displayed, but not quite what Chaos Comforting ever had. "Harmony told me that she directs things towards the best maybes." She considered her chaotic copy. "Does that... I'm sorry, not trying to be mean, but does that make you a not-best maybe?"

"Ow..." Chaos Comforting rest her hands on her hips. Unlike the other Comforting, she still had hands. "It was my choice, not hers, that led to both of us, I think? Actually..." She frowned, thinking of that pivotal moment. "Sorry to keep bringing it up, but when you got really hurt, did Harmony ask before she crowned you?"

"No?" Harmony Comforting looked confused at the idea. "Why would she? I was hurt, and she could help, so she did." She smiled radiantly. "I'm very grateful. Being a princess is fun anyway." She pulled a tiara free of herself and placed it on her head, completing the look. "I'm the princess of caring. You could call it a subsidary of kindness. I remind mom she's my inspiration all the time!"

Chaos Comforting applauded the show. "That's adorable! Speaking of that though, why did you move out?" She hiked a thumb at Fluttershy's cottage in the distance. "You still look like a foal to me."

Harmony Comforting pointed at her chaos twin. "You were a human, just like me, right?"

"Yep?"

"Then neither of us are foals, really," concluded Harmony Comforting. "After I got hurt like that... I decided to start taking things a little more seriously. It was time to act my age, no matter how big or small I was." She stuck out her tongue a little. "Before you ask, that doesn't mean I can't have fun. I have a lot of friends, and we have fun all the time. Not like adults can't have fun. So... I moved out. You didn't? You still live with Mo--Fluttershy?"

Chaos Comforting colored, called out like that! "Y-yeah... I have a sister and--"

"Sister?!" Harmony Comforting curled a hoof at herself. "I don't have a sister. Did you bring one from Earth?"

"No, adopted. A pony," explained Chaos Comforting. "I rescued her from chaos, and she still needs a lot of help, more than Mom could give without taking up her day, so I help with that."

Harmony Comforting sat back with a gentle smile. "Then you're not just freeloading. I'm so glad to hear that. What's she like, this sister?"

"Very nice." Both Comfortings nodded at that, as if they could have a not-nice Equestrian sister, please... "But confused. She's getting better. She's a pony that touched way too much chaos and got dazzled by it really bad. She wants to be a good pony though. We just started sending her to school." Chaos Comforting clapped her hands. "And she's making so many friends. It's adorable."

"What is her name? Maybe I know her. A different her? Like you and me." She pointed at her and Chaos Comforting.

"That would be neat... Alright, Screwball?"

Harmony Comforting shook her head. "I don't know any pony by that name." Her eyes widened. "I need to tell Harmony! Maybe she needs help!"

Chaos Comforting lifted into the air, ready to take off, but Harmony Comforting was not following. "I thought we were going to Harmony?"

Harmony Comforting blinked with confusion. "Silly. Where...? I see Harmony in my dreams."

Chaos Comforting came in for a landing. "You don't visit her... physical self?" Her griffon tail lashed with confusion. "You have wings. You could fly there." Chaos Comforting also had wings, but also didn't need them.

"No?" Harmony Comforting turned back towards her house. "Come on." She led the way inside with a smile. "Harmony visits in dreams. Didn't she visit you in yours?"

"Used to..." Chaos comforting scratched at her cheek as she came inside, swatting the door shut with her tail. "But now we visit face to face, or she sends me a message to come visit her." A thought came to her. "Are you and Harmony really close friends?"

"Yes... no? It's... complicated." Harmony Comforting worked her hooves together. "I owe her everything. But we don't just... chat... She's Harmony! She has a whole world to watch... I'm just helping out. I was selfish, at first, taking up her time... But I've grown out of that." She tapped a hoof on her chest. "I'm proud of that."

Chaos Comforting huffed. "Not... the relationship I have with my Harmony... She's like a dear friend. I would help her, when she asks, but she has to ask."

Harmony Comforting looked aghast. "She has to ask?! She's watching a whole world... She tells me what's needed, and I do my best. It's the least I can do."

Chaos Comforting held up her hands. "Let's not get too worked up. Two different Harmonies. Two different Comfortings. We each have our own way of doing it."

Harmony Comforting nodded. "True... Sorry. I shouldn't chastise someone that's not even from this world..." She suddenly smiled with a new thought. "Have you ever said no?"

"Mm?"

"To Harmony. Have you ever said no to her?"

Chaos Comforting considered that. "Only once."

Harmony Comforting flinched. "Was... it... She only would... It had to be important... What happened?"

Chaos Comforting waved over herself. "This happened. I turned down Harmony's offer of princess, and the even scarier option of--"

"--There was a more scary option?!" Harmony Comforting looked horrified at the mere idea of it. "What was the scarier option?"

"I handle it myself," explained Chaos Comforting. "And either live, or die, with nobody to blame, or thank, but myself. Hmmm. I wonder what that me looks like..."

"The not dead option, I hope." Harmony Comforting dared a little smile, clearly rocked by the new information. "I didn't even know that was... possible. I was hurt, and Harmony helped me. There were no questions, she just helped me."

"Mine asked. Discord offered too. I took his." She spread her mismatched hands. "Ta da! He's my dad now."

"Your father?" Harmony Comforting hiked up a brow. "And Fluttershy... He must like that." She was smiling at that, hopping up onto her couch. "Daughter of Discord. That explains a lot of things... You are Chaos Comforting."

"You are Harmony Comforting," countered Chaos Comforting, floating up to sit even with the couch. "Nice to meet you. What would the other Comforting be?"

"We would have to meet her."

"Do you want to?"

"No," flatly denied Harmony Comforting. "It's none of my business, if we're being honest. Harmony will send me to her, if it is. Leaving to go look would be betraying her."

"Harmony sent me here. My Harmony." Chaos Comforting pointed off to where a Harmony stood, in theory.

"About that." Harmony Comforting waggled a hoof at Chaos Comforting. "You turned her down. How... why are you two still talking, at all?"

Chaos Comforting considered that, the weaving path that led to that point. "Long story. For one, she felt bad when I got hurt. We never stopped talking. Then I went to visit her, and I kept helping her. Um... also, I think becoming this might have broken a few things." She scratched behind her head. "Too much chaos, maybe? She was... weakened, confused. I couldn't leave her like that, so I help her a lot, actually... In different ways, probably way different from how you do it."

"Way different," easily agreed Harmony Comforting. "How many ponies have you helped?"

"Most... of them aren't ponies?" This only got a shocked expression. "What? Other creatures deserve love too."

"S-sure, of course... But my quests have all been ponies..." Harmony Comforting rubbed at her cheek. "Our lives are very different now. I imagine, with time, it will only grow further apart."

Chaos Comforting darted in, only pulling to a screeching halt at the last very second. "Sorry! May I hug you?"

Harmony Comforting giggled at that. "Of course you can. You don't have to ask to hug."

Chaos Comforting floated there, blinking dumbly. "Wow."

"Wow?" What was confusing Chaos Comforting was... confusing. "Wow what?"

"The time we got hurt wasn't where we split." Chaos Comforting landed gently. "We were never the same pony..."

"You aren't even a pony," noted Harmony Comforting with a little smirk. "But... expand on that?"

Chaos Comforting waved over herself. "I don't like being hugged or touched without a warning. I never did. I never did."

Harmony Comforting's eyes widened. "What? I love being hugged by friendly people." She pointed to Chaos Comforting's lack of a mark. "I have a mark for it! You're me... How can you be me and hate hugs?!" She threw her forehooves wide. "What chaos is this?!"

"Ha ha." Chaos Comforting rolled her eyes. "I like hugs quite a bit, I just prefer to be the one giving them. Getting them is great too, if I know it's coming." A thought came to her. "Hey, how's the Twilight lessons going?"

"She's the best! At magic lessons at least." Harmony Comforting's horn began to glow with the promise of power. "I learn more every time we meet. Oh, your book must be so large, since you're not being sent on quests. Show me!"

"Uh... not so much..." admitted Chaos Comforting. "Once I became this..." She gestured over her chaos self. "Magic lost a lot of its appeal. I can do anything, about, just by wanting it to happen."

Harmony Comforting clopped her hooves to her cheeks. "Really?! Um... Oh... You have all of Discord's power?"

"In theory? I'm still learning it. You're still learning magic. We're the same there." Chaos Comforting shrugged a little. "The way it is. But I can get a lot done. I bet you can too. But I also bet you couldn't match Twilight."

"Magic is her cutie mark." Harmony Comforting snorted. "That's hard to match! Starlight's pretty close though. It's hard to say which of the two is top. But she has a magic mark too." Harmony Comforting pointed at her own mark. "Not magic."

"Not magic." Chaos Comforting shrugged. "But still magic. Just not the best magic. I'm chaos, but not the best chaos... I miss Twilight magic lessons, but we talk about other stuff at least."

"I'm glad to hear that." Harmony Comforting slid to the floor and offered both hooves. "Hug?"

"Hug." Chaos Comforting crashed into her harmonious doppelganger, the two snuggling in an intense bout of affection. "We may be different."

"But we are the same in the important ways," concluded Harmony Comforting. "Is it nice, having hands again?"

"Best part!" Chaos Comforting wriggled her fingers at her twin. "I really like having fingers again."

Harmony Comforting extended a hoof. "Being a pony has its advantages. No pony gets scared when we first meet."

Chaos Comforting flinched at that, remembering the fleeing ponies when she first appeared. "Yeah... That's a thing. Oh! The students!"

"The students? You mean at Twilight's school?"

Chaos Comforting nodded quickly. "Are you good friends with them?"

"I am friends with some of them, but only as neighbors, really..." Harmony Comforting shrugged. "I only visit for Twilight lessons, mostly. Other than that, I'm doing Harmony quests, or I'm 'just' a princess, doing princess things. I'm not a student, of that school. Not anymore..."

Chaos Comforting waved over herself. "Don't you see it? I have a bit of each of them?" She tapped a yak hoof on the ground and lashed a griffon tail. "They're... super important to me."

Harmony Comforting smiled gently at that. "I am so happy to hear you have close friends. I have them too, but they are not the same friends."

Author's Note:

Sheesh, this chapter came out in a rush, but felt so... heavy. The implications are many! I presume folks would prefer I explore this alter-verse a little before heading home, yeah?

Join the special community of folks who like my stories, get updates early, and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next