• Published 26th Jan 2022
  • 10,976 Views, 2,526 Comments

New Endings, Old Starts - David Silver



A well-led life runs into an end. If that was it, it would have been fine, but the forces of the universe were not content, finding another purpose, or perhaps reward, for this being in another world entirely. May she shine gently.

  • ...
61
 2,526
 10,976

PreviousChapters Next
153 - Icescapades

When she wasn't using chaos to cheat, Comforting found her balance wasn't that great. "I've done this before," she complained to nobody as she wobbled and shook, trying to get the hang of things.

"Woah there." Sandbar slid in against her, offering his bulk to lean against. "You got this."

"Thanks." Comforting grabbed his fluffy fur and took a step against the ice. "That helps..." She took a slow breath. "Alright! Let's have some fun!"

"Yeah!" He started off, taking her with him. "Let's go!"

She had a thousand things to be distracted by, but her mind went elsewhere than the children she was watching. They were doing well. She reached out a window and flicked out her thumb, creating a little window. In it, a new room appeared at her will, showing all the little children in a room. Cheerilee was doing her best to keep them calm.

"Hi!" Comforting waved at the image with her other hand, which meant she wasn't grabbing Sandbar. She slid out onto the lake, momentum carrying her along. "Miss Cheerilee?"

Cheerilee looked up at the strange panel that had opened up in space itself. "Comforting?" She gestured for some of the foals to quiet down. "I didn't expect you to drop by, but hello. How can I help--"

A foal's face took up the entire window. Thankfully they backed up a step, allowing Diamond's face to dominate it, but more to be seen than her snout. "Comfie! Having fun?"

"Yes." She dug into her pocket and pulled out the spare skates she had, the ones that Ocellus hadn't needed. "Are you about this size?" She read off the number on them.

"Close." Diamond shrugged. "If they're from your other friends, they must be kinda small."

"They are." Ocellus was the slenderest of all the larger students she could think of. "If Cheerilee says yes, how about some skating?"

Diamond hopped out of the way, bringing Cheerilee back into view. One couldn't see the big grin she was flashing at her teacher.

Cheerilee sighed. "I'd say no... But I'm buried in adorable little foals right now. If you... I can trust you, go ahead."

Comforting inclined her head at the vision of the struggling teacher. "Want me to... take more than one?"

Hope. It burned in Cheerilee's eyes. "Would you? Can you? They're my responsibility. You're not even... Nevermind. Do you want to?"

Comforting twirled, almost throwing herself over. "Hey!" she called to the others. "Want to play with some foals too? They wanna skate too."

Smolder shrugged as she slid past. "Sure. No harm. You're still the Responsible One right now."

Yona crashed into Comforting, grabbing her in a big hug. "Want talk mare friend. Bring her."

Comforting pushed the great yak away, keeping her viewing hand up in sight. "We're ready to take on a few little ponies for some fun. Pick... Let's say six?" Six bigger students. Six smaller students. That felt fair... "I'll get them safely here and back."

"Me!" Diamond casually hopped through the window Comforting had created, landing in her arms, sending them, and Yona, sliding further.

"Um." Comforting got her hand back up. "Diamond's here. Who else?"

Cheerilee looked over the room full of eager little faces. "Apple Bloom?" That got all three crusaders looking at her. "I should have seen that coming... Let's not split up ponies. The crusaders and Silver Spoon."

"Is Prickle Berry there?" Comforting angled her view, trying to get a peek at the shy strongfilly. "Prickle! Let's go skating."

A head popped out of the crowd. "Me?" Comforting nodded firmly. "Are you sure?" Comforting nodded all the harder. "Alright..." She filed in after the others, vanishing through the window onto the great pile on Yona. Yona, at least, served as a willing landing pad for them all.

Comforting got skates into the reach of each foal as they came over. "Get dressed! It's time to skate, and probably fall over."

"Half fun." Yona helped with getting them all dressed up properly for the trip. "Show how to skate? Done before!" Her student was sliding around and not falling. Her last job was successful.

The crusaders exploded off in different directions without hesitation, the ice their domain.

Silver smirked as she circled around Yona. "I know how to skate, but, like, thanks."

"I know who doesn't." Diamond poked at Prickle. "No breaking the ice."

"I'll try not to," Prickle squeaked out, blushing. "Is this a good idea?"

Comforting hopped to the ground and grabbed Prickle. "Focus on sliding, not stomping. The whole idea is to slide around." She held Prickle there, touching the ice. "Feel that?"

Prickle almost fell over, scrambling to get her hooves under herself. "Yes. Yes, I feel that."

"Already almost there." Yona nodded with appreciation. "Become good fast."

Diamond twirled in place, kicking up ice flakes. "Look at me!" To her annoyance, Comforting was focused on helping Prickle get the basics down of skating without flopping. "Comfie..."

Comforting reached between here and there to casually pat and stroke down Diamond's back. "I see you, let me get her steady, then we can have fun, promise."

Diamond squeaked at the touch coming from a new angle. "Alright, sheesh." She swatted at the disembodied hand. "You are so extra sometimes." She powered off on smooth lines.

Comforting angled an ear at Prickle. "Looks like only one of you needs lessons." She saw Prickle sag at that. "Don't be like that! We're all new once. I'm not even 100%." She dared to release Prickle. "Go ahead, try a little on your own."

Prickle pressed forward. It was a bit of a shame a little push from her could be a lot. The ice cracked loudly beneath her in a spiderweb of destruction radiating from where her hoof had pressed down. "Oops!"

Yona's eyes widened and glimmered. "Wow..." She grabbed Prickle and slid away with her prize. "That good smash. Never see pony so good at that. Not even trying! How strong?"

"I just am." Prickle curled miserably in Yona's grasp. "Sorry."

"Why sorry?" Yona tossed Prickle up to catch. "Amazing! Yona like. Not here... When get back, Yona show, and see. Want see proper smashing! Ice, not good smash. Know good smash. Fun." She set Prickle down. "Push ahead, not down, not back. Um, like walk, but not lift hooves."

"Like walking?"

Comforting smiled at the interactions. The two seemed to be getting along well enough. She turned in place to make sure the rest were doing alright, then zipped to Diamond. "Hey."

"Hey yourself." Diamond leveled a skate at Comforting. "You left on a rocky note. Did you really just pop in to say hi or did something change?"

Comforting went in for a hug, and wasn't denied it. "Right now, we're on pause. Until I talk with my other friend, I'd feel pretty bad making any moves. What I can say for sure--"

"We're friends?" finished Diamond with a raised brow.

"Yes?" Comforting let Diamond slide to the ice. "Is that bad?"

"Ugh... I suppose not." Diamond wriggled her nose. "I'm not a baby foal. I want what comes after."

Comforting froze at that. Was she? "Um... What comes after that?" It seemed better to just ask rather than make any assumptions.

"Hugging, kissing." Diamond rolled a skate-adorned hoof slowly. "Dates, gifts, anniversaries. Showing each other off to parents. Maybe moving in together? Depends on how we feel."

Comforting sagged with relief. All wonderful things, but they missed the edge that adult relationships often brought with them. They were an idealized foal version of having a significant other. Despite her complaints, Diamond was still a filly. A mature filly, sure... But still a filly. "Those all sound fun. I should talk to them though, to be fair. You wouldn't want me to go deciding that after we were a thing without talking to you, would you?"

Diamond pondered that for a moment, then shivered. "Ew. If I ran into you one day sharing smooches with some new pony, I'd be really mad!" Her temper faded as understanding arrived. "Oh, yeah... Yeah, that makes sense." She smiled up at Comforting. "You are a good chaos creature, in case nopony told you before."

Comforting smiled, genuine and relaxed. "Glad to hear it, all of it. I should warn! I am a chaos creature. I have odd friends. Are you sure you want to date something like that?" It hit her. Amity had said much the same thing to her, back when they were still considering things. Would you date a tree? As it turned out, Comforting was alright dating a tree... But the tree warned her first, because it was a good tree. She was warning Diamond, because Comforting wanted to be good too. The tree had allowed her to try... "I need to talk with her."

"You mentioned that." Diamond waved it off. "Are they alright?"

Comforting twirled to see Apple Bloom, Sandbar, and Ocellus had crashed together in an ungainly pile. "Oops! Responsible time!" She zipped off to help with that.

Silver brought herself to a smooth stop next to Diamond. "How'd it go? Did she say yes, or, like, is it time for extra special ice cream?"

"Nothing that dramatic." Diamond pushed ahead, skating along on all four legs working in tandem. "She needs to talk to her +1 before she takes a step. I can... understand that."

Silver slid up next to Diamond. "But she already has a plus one. Unless she ditches them, how can you be theirs?"

"I can't."

Silver blinked in surprise. "Wow, like... wow. You're taking that pretty well."

Diamond shoved Silver, sending them sliding away. "I'm not, but facts are facts. She got there first. I need to meet this pony, or whatever they are..."

"That's more like my Diamond." Silver curled with the momentum given her, turning back towards Diamond. "Let's make sure you win this!"

"I don't think it works like that." She put the blade of her skate under her chin. "If they're like Comforting, you can't buy them, and you can't intimidate them. You can talk to them and maybe convince them."

"Then, like, we'll convince them, duh." Silver rolled her eyes. "Just tell me when and where. You know I have your back."

"Yeah." The two came together to perform their dance, ending with sugar lump rumps. It was extra impressive, performed on the ice. "I know you do." Diamond smiled at her friend, her BFF. "We're stuck together!"

"Oh no," cried Silver. "The horror of it all." They giggled together and skated off, things settled for the moment.

Comforting clapped as she hovered up above the rest of the playing creatures, young and younger. "You all having fun?" The cheers she got back were positive. "Great! Little ponies, sending you back in about half an hour and we'll grab another set. Older creatures, you can stay or you can go, but let me know which you plan on doing." Some noises of dissatisfaction rose, but what could one do about that? "Not fair to not let the others have a turn if we can."

She touched down near the crusaders. "Hey."

Sweetie waved energetically. "Hi there!"

"Hey." Scootaloo skidded to a stop in front of Comforting. "We haven't hung out all that much lately... Um, sorry."

For? But it clicked and comforting grabbed the little pegasus in a firm hug. "There's nothing to be sorry about. I almost forgot about that. Besides, I like me, and without you, I wouldn't be this." She waved over her chaotic form. "So I should be thanking you. Thanks!"

Scootaloo rubbed behind her head. "Oh, uhm... Okay! That's good." She leaned in, hoof raising for conspirational whispers, "Is it true? Are you thinking about Diamond Tiara?"

Apple Bloom jumped forward, skidding on the ice. "Tell us!"

Sweetie nodded from where she was. "If you want to."

"Ah guess." Apple Bloom giggled, holding herself back. "But we wanna know."

Comforting put up her hands wardingly. "Nothing's happened. We're friends. You're friends. Are you more than friends?"

They looked at one another.

Author's Note:

Ah, fillies. They have feelings! Who even does that?!

Join the special community of folks who like my stories, get updates early, and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next