• Published 26th Jan 2022
  • 10,966 Views, 2,526 Comments

New Endings, Old Starts - David Silver



A well-led life runs into an end. If that was it, it would have been fine, but the forces of the universe were not content, finding another purpose, or perhaps reward, for this being in another world entirely. May she shine gently.

  • ...
61
 2,526
 10,966

PreviousChapters Next
176 - Stars and Wheels

A message arrived with a chime only Comforting could hear. She turned away from the others, enjoying their cookout to reach up and press that button.

A pony who once was my agent, in ages past, is now speaking to a pony who is my agent. They speak about a creature who is your agent now.

Oh, I'm being rude. This is Amity.

I thought you may wish to be involved in this. You are aware of where Twilight Sparkle lives.

"Is my agent now?" Comforting twirled in place. The students? Why someone would come along and discuss the students, especially in a way Amity would want to warn her, felt odd.

She could only think of one way to find out. She exploded. Pixels rained down across the area, but she was already gone.

She re-resolved herself in front of Twilight's castle. There weren't any ponies or creatures there, so she darted for the door and knocked.

Spike opened it a moment later. "Hey? Oh, Comfs!" He waved at her with a smile. "We're swapping."

He paused at that. "You're not here to make a mess and make things even, are you?"

Comforting giggled at the thought. "That wouldn't be very nice to you or Twilight. Or Starlight, come to think. She lives here too, right?"

"I sure do." Starlight leaned in over Spike.

"Hi!" Comforting zipped in and grabbed both of them in a warm hug. As much as she didn't like getting surprise hugs, giving them was clearly allowed.

Fortunately, both receivers were fine with it, returning them in what became a group embrace.

Starlight snorted softly. "Lovely as that was, what's this about?"

Spike hiked a thumb inside. "Is it about Starswirl?"

Comforting clapped, which turned into two pointing fingers at Spike. "Good guess! I heard he's having a chat with Twilight."

"Sure is. He looks... grumpier than normal." Spike shrugged a bit. "No idea why."

Comforting's eyes widened. "Oh no...I think I know what this is about."

She rushed inside, Spike and Starlight exchanging a puzzled glance before following. Sure enough, there was Starswirl looking even more tempestuous than usual as he confronted Twilight.

"...and furthermore, I cannot believe you would allow such volatile creatures to run amok!" Starswirl was saying heatedly. "Have you learned nothing from my chronicles?"

He turned as Comforting entered, bristling. "Ah, speak of the devil! This chaos spirit of yours claims she has everything under control. Surely you cannot condone keeping savage beasts as pets!"

Twilight held up a hoof placatingly. "Please, let's all take a calming breath. I've met Cracked myself. They don't mean any harm these days thanks to Comforting and her friends helping acclimate them."

Starswirl scowled. "The word of a chaos creature means little. Who knows what anarchy her so-called 'friends' will unleash!"

Comforting stepped forward earnestly. "Starswirl, I understand your worries, but Lily and Cracked have come such a long way already. My friends have been actively guiding them on better paths."

She met his eyes hopefully. "I know the past is full of hurts. But won't you give peace a chance?"

Starswirl stroked his beard, conflict clear on his face. "Your sentiment is noble, spirit. But some rifts take more than words to mend..." He raised a hoof at her. "Besides, words are words. Actions are actions. She is a monster, with teeth and claws both that can severely injure a pony, even by accident. One moment of excitement or agitation could have lasting harm. What do you plan to do then?"

Twilight rubbed at her cheek. "I haven't met this Lily yet... How has her adjustment been going? She only just arrived recently, if I heard correctly?"

Starswirl scowled. "And you're already speaking on her defense? Why? Don't you prioritize the safety of your fellow ponies?"

Comforting raised up in front of Starswirl, putting their eyes even in height. "Lily allowed some...pony to climb on her, in pain, and do a thorough examination. If she was just some unthinking animal, she would have torn them in half. It hurt. Only careful thought and restraint let her calmly accept it and wait for it to be over, knowing the price was worth it."

Twilight clapped gently. "That is more than I'd expect from a 'monster'. I'd like to meet this Lily. She's an endangered species, by the very definition. One of the last two, hm..."

Comforting dropped to the ground. "Only two we've found. She's really nice!"

"What a chaos spirit calls nice..." Starswirl sank to his haunches. "Can be quite concerning to the rest of us."

Twilight thrust a hoof at Starswirl. "Comforting has been doing her best, and that best has been quite exemplary so far. I will not attack a friend of hers out of fear! Also, she isn't a pet."

"Then what is she?" he asked, each syllable stressed and as tense as he was.

"I just said." Twilight flashed a smile. "A friend. They could leave her any time, but they don't, because they like her. She likes them. Am I wrong, Comforting?"

Comforting beamed and shook her head. "Not at all! Lily's part of our family now."

Her smile faded as she turned back to Starswirl. "I understand your concern. Really, I do. Lily could be dangerous."

She met his eyes earnestly. "But she chooses not to be, thanks to the kindness shown by those who freed her. Isn't that worth celebrating?"

Starswirl hesitated, conviction wavering.

Sensing his doubt, Comforting pressed on. "How about we organize a welcoming party for Lily? That way everypony can see she isn't any threat to ponykind."

Twilight nodded enthusiastically. "What a wonderful idea! A party is the perfect way to help Lily feel at home."

Spike chuckled, proving he had arrived quietly. "Yeah, plus Pinkie Pie would freak if she heard there was a new Ponyvillian she didn't get to celebrate yet."

Starswirl scowled, but with less ferocity than before. Their optimism was infectious. Still, uncertainty lingered.

"Very well..." he conceded slowly. "I shall attend this gathering, if only to ensure this 'friend' of yours does not reveal her true colors. But at the first sign of danger-"

"She will remain safely in the hooves of her caring allies," Twilight finished firmly. "Right, Comforting?"

Comforting bounced excitedly. "Absolutely! This is going to be so great - you'll see Lily is really sweet once she comes out of her shell."

"Fine." Starswirl turned for the exit, which had Spike in the way. The young dragon scrambled away as Starswirl strode towards it. "I will be ready, should this come crashing down."

They let him tromp off with clear agitation.

Twilight put a hoof on Comforting's shoulder. "I'm very proud."

Comforting smiled brightly. "Happy to hear that, but what are you proud of exactly?"

"You stood up for what you believe in." She leaned in, nose inches from Comforting. "Without using your magic or losing your cool. Now, what brings you by?"

Comforting pointed at where Starswirl had gone. "Him, mostly. Now that we've done that... I should check to see how Lily's wheels are coming along."

Spike hiked a brow. "I wanna see that."

"Then come!" Comforting zipped over and grabbed Spike, lifting him into the air. "Be right back!" They faded away like the film of the camera was being exposed to too much light.

Twilight waved a hoof through the air that had once held her student and her assistant. "Not sure I'm getting used to that..." Still, she trusted Comforting enough to continue her day and trust that Spike would return safely.

Comforting materialized outside the blacksmith shop with Spike in tow. She set him down and with an eager bounce, flung open the door.

"Any progress on those wheels?" she asked hopefully.

The burly blacksmith pony emerged from behind a pile of parts, brow glistening. His expression brightened when he saw Comforting.

"Ah yes, your strange giant dog contraption! I was just finishing the last touches." He gestured proudly behind him, where an enormous wheeled harness lay.

Comforting let out a squee of pure delight. Spike grinned and began excitedly circling the cart-sized mobility aid.

"This is so cool! Our new friend's gonna zoom around in this thing?" He tried to hop up onto the frame but his tiny build was lost against the great contraption for any purpose other than a jungle gym perhaps.

The smithy chuckled. "Not quite zooming at first. She'll need some practice maneuvering around. But glad y'all like my handiwork."

Comforting nodded enthusiastically, already picturing Lily wheeling free. "It's perfect! Oh, we're planning a party to welcome her to town. Can you deliver this then?"

"Sure thing, little miss," the burly pony agreed. "I'll be there to get her on her wheels."

Comforting clapped with building joy. "One thing... How do we use it?" She waved over the great harness and its various straps and buckles. "You'll show us?"

"Isn't that what I just said! I'll deliver it." He pointed to the cart, then away from it. "To her. Then I'll put her in it, and we'll all get to see her moving around with it. You'll all see how it works when I do it!"

Spike called from the top, where he had climbed it like the gym it appeared to be. "Sounds great!" He spread his wings and glided back to the ground. "Feels good too. Solid!"

Comforting let out a joyful giggle. "Great! You're the best. Oh, what do we owe you?"

The smith looked confused. "Hm? Doctor Fauna said it was for a hurt critter. I don't charge for that."

Comforting rocked forwards and backwards. "Aw! That's super sweet... But I can't lie. Lily isn't a critter. She's a creature."

"A creature?" The blacksmith peered at the large device he made. "A creature that big? How haven't they taken over the world already?!"

Spike huffed with a smile. "Any creature Comforting likes isn't the kinda creature that wants to take over the world."

"I try to avoid the bad ones." Comforting ruffled Spike, the two not that different in height. "Like Spike, super adorable and nice, so I love him."

Spike squinted. "My heart belongs to another."

"Not that kind of love." Comforting rolled her eyes. "I'm already Diamond's special somecreature, remember?"

"Oh yeah... About--"

The blacksmith cleared his throat loudly. "If that's everything you need from me, I'll see you at that party."

Comforting squeaked. "Sorry! We'll let you get back to work." She hurried outside with Spike. "About what?"

Spike fidgeted once outside. "Well, I just wanted to say...I've noticed you and Diamond Tiara seem really happy together lately."

He sighed, glancing off into town. "To be honest, I guess I'm a little jealous. You're about the only creature around my age who's actually found romance."

Comforting's expression softened with understanding. She gave Spike a gentle, reassuring pat. "I get it. Seeing other folks pair off while you're still single can stir up complicated emotions."

Spike nodded, scuffing a claw self-consciously. "Pretty much hits the nail on the head. Everypony assumes I've still got that childhood crush on Rarity...but I'm not sure what I feel anymore."

He managed a small smile. "But I am happy for you and Diamond. Maybe someday I'll have what you two do. For now though, can we talk about something lighter maybe?"

Comforting swept Spike into a quick, comforting hug. "Of course. No need to dwell on it." She smiled brightly. "Now, ready to start party planning? I wanna make sure Lily feels so welcomed!"

She slowed. "Wait, are you not in love with Rarity anymore?"

Spike colored sharply. "I didn't say that! I'm not sure... I don't know..." He kicked a rock that had the poor fortune to be near. "I don't know. How do you know?"

Comforting grabbed for his closer hand, cradling it between both of her own. "Spike. There is exactly one thing I can say."

"What's that?" he asked, his voice so small and vulnerable.

"You take your time." She pressed her nose to his forehead. "There is no rush here. You take your time and figure it out. There's no grade on this test, and we're here for you whatever you decide."

Spike smiled with some of the tension ebbing. "Y-yeah... Yeah. Um, so let's get this party planned!"

"Did someone say party?" Pinkie descended from a nearby roof. "Because I'm here for it!"

Author's Note:

Somepony smells a party...

Join the special community of folks who like my stories and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next