• Published 26th Jan 2022
  • 10,970 Views, 2,526 Comments

New Endings, Old Starts - David Silver



A well-led life runs into an end. If that was it, it would have been fine, but the forces of the universe were not content, finding another purpose, or perhaps reward, for this being in another world entirely. May she shine gently.

  • ...
61
 2,526
 10,970

PreviousChapters Next
133 - On the Market

Comforting knocked on the wood door, but pushed it open afterwards. It was a business, and it was open. "Hello?" She poked her head in and looked around.

"Howdy," called a mare behind a desk. "Come on in!" She could see only Comforting's pony face, and her expression turned to surprise when Comforting fully entered. "Oh! You're... Hugs, no, Comforting, right?"

Comforting smiled at the mare, brushing the door shut behind herself with her tail. "That's me, Comforting. And you are good at finding the perfect home for a pony, right?"

"It's what I do," sang the mare with a happy smile. "And if you came here for that, you came to the right place!" She considered Comforting with all proper intensity. "Do... creatures of your sort have any preferences different from ponies? I admit, you're the first... of your kind I've helped." She hopped to her hooves, circling the counter. "Also, please don't take this the wrong way, but are you a foal, adult, or...?"

"That's a long story..." Comforting chuckled nervously. "But I am ready to get a house. I want one here, in Ponyville. If it can be near Fluttershy's cottage, bonus. She's my mom."

"I heard of that." The mare came in to sit right in front of Comforting. "Nice to meet you. Now... There certainly is room by Fluttershy's cottage, but that's half the problem. There aren't many buildings near Fluttershy's cottage. I'm fairly certain she picked the spot for that exact reason. She had it built when she moved into town. Speaking of that, are you hoping for an existing home, or are we building one for you too?"

It was at that moment that Comforting realized she could just... make a house, in theory. "I'm new to how land ownership works. If I can own some land, and put what I want on it, then everything's fine, really."

"You're new, but you sound like you know how it works." The mare curled a hoof up under Comforting's chin. "Are you just new to how it works in Ponyville?"

"Exactly!" Comforting snapped her fingers sharply. "What are the rules, here in Ponyville?"

"Well, thankfully, they're not all that bad." The mare rose back to her hooves and went to the large windows in front to point out at the town hall. "Assuming nopony else has dibs on the parcel you're interested in, you have to go there, tell them what portion of land you want, and they'll decide on the price. You pay it, and it's yours, minus any yearly taxes. Now, before you panic, there are a mountain of exemptions a pony could apply for! Many of the ponies in this town don't pay any taxes."

Comforting lifted a few inches, hovering after her. "What, mostly, decides if a pony pays taxes or not?"

"Good question!" She turned back to Comforting. "Celestia, long may she reign, has a very progressive tax policy, which trickles down to all the towns and cities in our lovely nation. If you don't make many bits, she doesn't want your last, and forbids local managers from reaching for them either. The more you make, the higher a bracket you reach." She lifted her hoof from the ground at different levels. "The higher the bracket, the more taxes, both property and income and most everything else. Do you have a job?"

"Not... one that pays?" Helping Amity didn't reap cash dividends, nor did being a student. "I'm a student."

"Oh! Well, students? They don't pay taxes," the real estate agent assured firmly. "So, all you need to do is cover the price of the parcel you've set your eyes on. Now, I don't want to be rude, but are you sure you want to just buy a parcel? Somepony has to actually build a house on it. You... don't..." She trailed off, just noticing Comforting was floating. "Can you?"

Comforting colored with a nervous giggle. "Sorry! Sorry." She landed, coming down a few inches. "But, yes. I think I can. Thank you for being so helpful."

"That's my job!" She pointed back at her cutie mark, where a house lived with a curl of smoke rising from its chimney. "By the way, doing what your cutie mark tells you to do? That lowers your bracket. Following my destiny nets me a tax break. Pretty sweet, huh?"

"That's nice." Comforting glanced back at her rump, where no mark could be found. "What about creatures that don't have a mark to follow? Are we just... out of luck?"

She hummed softly. "To be honest, I don't know. Real estate is my specialty, not tax codes, even if I know more than the average pony." She raised a hoof at the town hall. "But! If you're going there anyway, they'd be the perfect ponies to ask. They are the ones that collect it. I'd hope they'd know, or we're all in trouble. But, before you gallop over there, let's talk about your plans."

"Plans?"

"Plans!" She reached up and pulled down a map of the town. "You want to know where you hope to get a parcel, if you're so sure you don't want a house that's already built."

Comforting's thoughts went to the other Comforting, the one that was an agent of Harmony. They wouldn't have gotten a free house, lacking chaos powers. They probably had to buy a house. Was that why they weren't right near Fluttershy? "I still want one near mom's house. I'll check with her, make sure it's not messing up her area, or scaring the animals, but near her, close as I can."

"Well." She leaned in on the far edge of the map, where the road worked its way past Fluttershy's house and into the forest. "Plenty of room there, as I mentioned. It sounds to me like you should talk to her and figure out what will work for both of you. No parcels around there are claimed, that I can see." She tapped at the bare part of the map, just with Fluttershy's cottage. "So pick a spot, and head to town hall."

"That's... easy." She let it out like a sigh of relief. Pony world was so much simpler about that than the human world she had come from. "Thank you, again. You've been nothing but helpful."

"I do my best," sang the mare. "And if you happen to change your mind, let me know. We have some lovely houses already built and waiting for an owner."

"I will! Um, if I change my mind. Actually..." She hopped towards the agent. "I may want to look at them later, just to get a good idea of what I might want to build. Is that alright?"

"Yes... but also maybe?" She wobbled a hoof. "I'm writing that off as a charitable donation. That's still work, for me, but you won't be giving me any bits, but the writeoff.... Yeah, sure, I'm open for that." Her tax musings complete, she nodded firmly. "Just tell me when you're ready and we'll set an appointment."

"Great!" She paused in her retreat. "Oh. Is it alright if I bring a friend or two along?"

The real estate mare inclined her head. "There shouldn't be a problem with that. It's pretty common, especially with married ponies, but even the ones that aren't may bring a second set of eyes. Now, you have a great day."

"Already doing it." Comforting burst out onto the road with a smile. "That went well..." All she had to do was pick a spot! Oh, and visit town hall. That shouldn't be so hard? She lifted from the ground and zipped rapidly back home. It was still her home. Fluttershy had made it clear that it would always be her home, and she could live there while she got things in order.

Fluttershy was on her lawn, feeding some birds with flecks of seeds that sent them gladly searching and pecking. Comforting touched down some distance from the scene, smiling at all the cute birds getting their lunch.

A duck landed on one of Comforting's arms, peering at her.

"Hello there." Comforting reached into a pocket to grab some seeds and offer them to the bird perched on her. "Having fun?"

It quacked in an... amiable sort of way and pecked at the offered seeds, apparently accepting Comforting as a safe thing to be around. Comforting gently rubbed the duck over the head, stroking it as it enjoyed the meal. "What a nice duck you are." Birds of Equestria, nicer than the old Earth models. "I hope Cracked isn't bothering you."

The bird touched its beak to her snout and hopped down. Was that an answer? Not one in any language Comforting knew. Still, it was still there, and not avoiding the area, so... It couldn't be too bad?

"Welcome back," called Fluttershy, her task complete. "Did you already find something? Or did something come up?"

"I talked with a very nice pony." Comforting closed, not scared of scaring the birds. "She told me what I had to do. I want to be here." She spread her hands. "But I don't want to be in the way. Where would you want me to be, near here, where I won't be bothering things."

Fluttershy curled her neck, looking about slowly. "You really want to live all the way out here? I... like my space, but you seem to get along with others quite well. You could be a lot closer to a lot of ponies." She pointed into the town. "Wouldn't that be nice?"

Comforting lifted from the ground, propelling herself up a foot and letting gravity draw her back down. "I could live halfway across the world and still get back in time for lunch, mom. If I have to pick where I feel safe and happy, that'd be near you. Um, unless that's a bother?"

"Hm." Fluttershy curled a hoof to her chin. "Well..." She pointed at the river that ran in front of her cottage. "Just on the other side?" She walked out and tapped a hoof on the ground at the river's edge. "This is where my little slice of land ends."

Comforting clapped her hands. "Great! But I wanted to be sure I was putting it in a place that wouldn't bother you. No point moving out just to set up where you don't want."

"How large?" She raised that hoof high above her. "How tall? If it isn't very tall, I don't think I'll mind... You were never that loud. And you don't scare the animals."

Comforting jumped. Something had hit her! Looking down, she saw Angel Bunny glaring at her. "What?"

He squeaked and pointed off, glaring at her twice as hard.

"He says... Do you really think so?"

Angel nodded at Fluttershy firmly.

"If you say so... He says you should put it right there." She joined his pointing, but also took flight to flap over to the exact spot across the river, right by the road that led up to her cottage. "Here," she called out, barely audible in her soft cry.

Comforting joined her, landing beside her. "This is a nice spot." She could see Fluttershy's cottage, barely a minute's hike away. "If you like it, then I like it." She flopped over onto her back, feeling the grass of the spot. "Next stop, town hall!"

"Hm?" Fluttershy turned to Comforting. "Why there?"

"I have to buy this." Comforting patted the ground around herself, sitting up. "Then I can put a house on it. I'm going to take my friends to see houses to pick the kind of house I want."

Fluttershy smiled at the idea. "That sounds wonderful. Hm... Do you need bits? I have a few, to help." She produced a bag of jingling coins. "This may be far enough from town that they won't charge you anything. I didn't pay for my cottage's land. But I did tell them, um, well, Rainbow did... So nopony else would take it later. That'd be awkward..."

Entirely fee free land? She wasn't on Earth... "I'll check with them. If not, I can at least tell them I'm taking it."

Author's Note:

Comforting picks a spot with Fluttershy's help. Next stop, some red tape, than grab some friends to go house style shopping!

Join the special community of folks who like my stories, get updates early, and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next