• Published 15th Oct 2021
  • 929 Views, 58 Comments

The Young Warrior - Melody Song



Apex-discipulus, the young nymph apprenticed to Pharynx-dominus, chooses his heart over following the rules, and follows The Rankless One into the unknown.

  • ...
6
 58
 929

Royal Family

One of the strange creatures, the taller one, had lime green chitin with a dark purple carapace and a glittering emerald underbelly. Violet, sparkling wings emerged from the carapace, matching the tail and resembling dragonfly wings. Three diamonds were embedded in the creature’s chest, and orange antlers rose above almost feathery-like ears, a smaller, curved horn on its forehead. Despite being completely different colored, there was no mistaking the warmth and pride in the creature’s now purple eyes as it looked down at Apex.

“P-Papa Thorax…” Apex whispered as he recognized him at last, then looked at the other creature.

This creature was a little shorter than the other. Cyan chitin, with a violet carapace and lavender underbelly. Red, dragonfly-like wings unfurled from its back, copies of the red tail. Three diamonds on the chest, red antlers on its head, tufted ears perked up to hear for danger, a smaller center horn resting between the antlers. The lavender eyes were the only trait Apex instantly recognized, despite the new expression of pride and happiness reflected in them.

“Avunculus-Pharynx!”

Apex rushed forwards and nuzzled against Pharynx, then Thorax. Finally, as he finished hugging Thorax, the nymph noticed his own form, and gasped. He was lime green too, with a fully healed red carapace, along with identically colored wings and tail. He too, had diamonds in his chest, and he could feel his horn still on his head when he reached up to touch his forehead. Apex looked up into Thorax’s eyes, he could see his own eyes reflected back as ruby red pools of wonder. Thorax scooped him up, holding him close.

Starlight, finally released and now standing beside them, looked around at all the other changelings.

“You see?! This is what happens when you give your love freely, instead of taking it!” Starlight proclaimed, as Chrysalis sat up from where she had been tossed against her throne.

The other changelings looked at each other, then at Thorax, Pharynx, and Apex. Finally, one rose off the ground, sending a wave of love out towards the Queen and a cocoon wrapping around them. Another joined in, and a third. Starlight rushed towards Thorax, Pharynx, and Apex, putting a shield spell around the four of them for protection.

“No! Noo!” Chrysalis screamed as love surrounded her on all sides. Apex snuggled against Thorax as he and his brother crouched low within Starlight’s shield spell.

Finally, once the last changeling had transformed, Starlight lowered the shield. Pharynx and Thorax straightened up from their crouched position, the four creatures staring around at the damage. The throne was gone, and the cocoons holding the captured ponies had fallen to the ground. The entire throne room had been blown apart, the roof completely gone and leaving only the floor they were standing on.

“P-Papa Thorax?” Apex looked up at Thorax, who nuzzled him.

“I’m here little one.” Thorax whispered, and Apex hugged him tight.

“Good job Apex.” Pharynx murmured, nuzzling the nymph gently. “We wouldn’t have figured out how to share love like that without you.”

“Truly, our little warrior.” Thorax said proudly, as Starlight yelped. Apex glanced up and shrunk into Thorax. Everyone was free from the cocoons. And they looked mad.

“Starlight, get away from those things!” Twilight cried out.

“Wait, Twilight, it’s okay!” Starlight held up a hoof to point at them. “It’s Thorax, Pharynx, and Apex!”

“Really?” Cadence moved forwards.

"How do we know for sure it's them?" Rainbow Dash asked, her brow furrowed. Apex pouted slightly, he knew it was an honest question, as she had never met them before, but he could also sense the frustration Pharynx was giving off.

“Hold on.” Trixie trotted forwards, a serious expression on her face as she posed a question. “Klutzy…?”

“Draconequus.” all three changelings said at once. A couple of the ponies began giggling, causing Discord to glare at them.

“It’s them!” Trixie announced, smirking at Discord. Cadence smiled in relief at this, only distracted by a newly transformed changeling flying over to her with her daughter, who she promptly embraced.

“I think it’s safe to say we won’t have any more troubles with the Hive. The changelings have found a new leader, and a better way.” Luna remarked, looking around at the reformed changelings as she trotted closer to them.

“N-New leader?” Thorax asked, eyes widening.

“Of course; you.” Luna said, smiling kindly.

“B-But… no, Pharynx is older, he should be-”

“If it were meant to be me, why did you end up being taller than me?” Pharynx questioned, smirking slightly. “I was never meant to be a king, Thorax. My role is to protect and defend my family, which includes the Hive now.”

“No!”

They all whipped around to see Chrysalis emerging, her horn ignited. She was glaring at them all.

“How dare you?! My pathetic, worthless, idiot son will never be the King! He will fall, then I’ll take his traitorous brother!” Chrysalis eyed them both with a wicked gleam in her eyes. “Pharynx will watch the brother he raised die, and he’ll be next! I’ll find new heirs to my throne!”

Pharynx stood protectively in front of Thorax, who clutched Apex to his chest. Everyone else took up protective stances around the brothers. All around them, horns ignited, wings flared, and hooves slammed against the ground.

“You want them? You’ll have to go through us.” Shining proclaimed, glaring at her. Chrysalis snarled but backed away. Starlight then stepped forwards, and held out a hoof.

“When Twilight and her friends defeated me, I chose to run and seek revenge. But you don’t have to. Join your sons in your rightful place and be the leader your subjects deserve!”

Chrysalis hesitated, then reached out… and slapped Starlight’s hoof away.

“There is no revenge you could ever conceive of that will match what I will do to you one day, Starlight Glimmer!” Chrysalis looked over at Thorax and Pharynx, wings buzzing as she snarled at them. “Enjoy playing King of the Castle while it lasts, Prince Thorax.”

With that, Chrysalis took off, flying out of the territory and into the distance. Thorax looked stunned, even more so as Celestia approached. He turned to face her, Apex climbing onto his back. Surprisingly, Celestia bowed to him slightly, and he jolted, bowing back nervously.

“Thorax, as the new leader of the changelings, I look forward to seeing how we can improve our relationship in the future.”

“I-I… I look forward to it as well.” Thorax stammered, and Celestia chuckled softly before turning to her ponies.

“For now, I believe it’s best we leave the changeling kingdom to the changelings.” she advised them.

“Who’s up for celebratory tea at Fluttershy’s?!” Discord asked loudly, making Fluttershy squeak in alarm. Celestia laughed softly and trotted over to help sort it out.

Thorax began to breathe quicker, worried, but Pharynx reached and put a hoof on his shoulder.

“You’ll do fine Thorax. I’ll be here to help you.” Pharynx said.

“An’ me!” Apex hugged Thorax around the neck, nuzzling up to him. Thorax giggled and pulled Apex close.

“You know, you may still be just five years old, but I think you’ve more than earned your warrior’s rank.” Pharynx told Apex, who gasped.

“Really?!”

“Heh, yes, really.” Pharynx nuzzled him. “If Thorax would be willing to allow me to perform the ceremony.”

“Of course!” Thorax held Apex close, cradling the little nymph. “I’m so proud of you, Apex.”

Apex beamed and nuzzled up to him. “'M proud of you Papa Thorax… wai’. Doe’ this mean you go’ a rank now?”

“He does.” Pharynx smiled as he stepped forward. “The highest rank. Thorax-Basileus. King.”

“King Papa Thorax.” Apex said, smiling up at Thorax, who smiled.

“All hail Thorax-Basileus!” Pharynx called to the changelings. “The rightful king!”

“King Thorax! All hail the rightful king!” the other changelings took up the cry.

Thorax smiled, looking down at Apex. The little nymph giggled and hugged him tight. Pharynx stood beside his brother, smiling proudly. Everything was as it should be for the time being.

Author's Note:

Just one chapter left...

~Melody Song