• Published 15th Oct 2021
  • 929 Views, 58 Comments

The Young Warrior - Melody Song



Apex-discipulus, the young nymph apprenticed to Pharynx-dominus, chooses his heart over following the rules, and follows The Rankless One into the unknown.

  • ...
6
 58
 929

Rankless Leader

“There you are.”

Thorax sighed as he entered the cavern, carrying a bag in his teeth. He looked over at Pharynx. The older changeling was leaning against an ice wall, his wound exposed but wrapped with cobwebs. Apex sat in the snow beside him, watching quietly.

“Where have you been? I was about to send Apex out to scout for you.” Pharynx continued. His voice was rather raspy.

“You wouldn’t have.”

“...Alright, maybe I wouldn't have. But still, where were you?”

“I… uh… I think I was spotted.”

“You what-?!” Pharynx broke off, coughing.

Thorax went to him, grabbing the bowl he’d carved from stone and filled with water from melting snow. He held up the bowl and let Pharynx drink from it. Pharynx’s injury was still as bad as it had been days before, and he was still running a fever.

“I’m sorry Pharynx, I didn’t mean to startle you.” Thorax said. “A townspony just caught a bit of a glimpse of me as I was passing. There’s a good chance they’ll think it was their imagination.”

Pharynx nodded in understanding, stifling coughs. Apex nuzzled against Pharynx, who put a foreleg around him. He’d been insistent on training Apex in subjects other than physical fighting, even while injured.

“Did’ya ge’ food?” Apex asked

Thorax nodded. He’d been getting food for them since Pharynx was down. “I found a snow hare.”

“Yay!” Apex grabbed up the two pieces of flint, and Thorax chuckled.

“Good job Apex. Now, we just need wood.”

Pharynx stifled another cough and shook his head. “The only plants left are the herbs, Thorax.”

Thorax gulped nervously. His effort had rewarded him with a food that was useless. He’d also lost energy from how long it had taken. Apex frowned and dropped the flint.

“B-Bu’ there’s so much love in the air, c-can’ we jus’ go ask for some?”

“Not how it works, grub. They’d just run.”

Apex’s earfins drooped and he nestled against Pharynx. “B-Bu’ ‘m hungry…”

Thorax frowned and laid beside them, nuzzling Apex. Pharynx sighed and moved his hoof, letting Thorax take over while he leaned back against the ice wall, half-lidding his eyes.

“I know little one, I’m hungry too. But we just need to wait a little longer, okay?”

“O-Okay Pater-Thorax…”

Thorax sighed and nuzzled the nymph. “I’m sorry Apex…”

“I-I’s no’ your faul’…”

Thorax sighed and pulled him closer. Apex rested against him, Thorax wincing every time he heard the nymph’s stomach growl. Pharynx, eyes still closed, began talking.

“Hey, grub?”

“Y-Yeah Pharynx?”

“You… you remember when you asked me why we go to war?”

Thorax and Apex looked at each other, both remembering the fateful day. When Pharynx had dodged the question and the alert had gone off.

“Y-Yes…”

“Well… I told you no one knows, but…” Pharynx looked over at them both. “There is a reason.”

“Huh?”

“...We go to war… to shelter everyone else. We throw ourselves into danger, knowing most of us won’t come back-” Pharynx broke off, coughing. “We-We do all that so that everyone else doesn’t have to think about it. So we can ensure a safer world for the next generation.”

Apex watched him wide eyed as he spoke, then reached and nuzzled him.

“I un’erstan’ now. Thank you Pharynx.”

Pharynx smiled softly and nuzzled him. “No problem, Apex.”

Apex giggled and brushed his small fangs against Pharynx’s cheek in affection. Pharynx chuckled, but began coughing again. Thorax passed him the bowl of water.

“Th-Thank you Thorax…”

“Of course, Pharynx.”

“Y-You know…” Pharynx murmured “I think they were wrong about you… magnus es… frater… mirum bello… amo te, frater…”

Thorax giggled softly. “Thank you Pharynx… diliget te.”

Thorax smiled as his brother gave a slight smile in return, eyes opening briefly. He then sank down, leaning heavily on the ice as he slipped into sleep.

“Wha’ were you guys sayin?” Apex asked, settling by Thorax.

“He said I was a great brother and warrior, and that he loves me.” Thorax nuzzled Apex. “I told him I loved him back.”

“Heheh, tha’s cool, i’s like a secre’ code.”

“Heh, we’ll teach you more of the ancient dialect soon.” Thorax said, knowing that maybe then, he could tell him the truth.

“Okay.” Apex yawned and cuddled up to Thorax, who snuggled him close.

At least down in the cavern they were protected from the freezing snow and wind. But as Thorax held Apex close against him, he felt his throat closing up. All the pain and worry and hunger was getting to him. He buried his head in the nymph’s soft chitin and began to cry.

Thorax cuddled close against Pharynx, who wrapped a hoof around him in his sleep. The sudden affection from his brother just made it worse. He cried for the first time in weeks, maybe months. Scared and alone, despite being beside the two changelings he loved beyond words.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The three changelings were woken abruptly by the sound of hoofbeats. Pharynx pricked his ears, listening.

“Armored hooves and clanking metal. They’re soldiers.” Pharynx murmured

“Ohnoohnoohno…” Thorax began hyperventilating. “I-I was seen, wasn’t I? Th-They’re going to find us and-”

“Thorax, be quiet.” Pharynx hissed. “No one is blaming you, but please, shut up. If you’re any louder they’ll definitely find us.”

Thorax clamped his jaws shut and nodded. Pharynx listened again.

“Apex, I want you, carefully, to sneak over and check on the entrance to this place.” he ordered calmly.

Apex nodded and crept over to the slope that led out, then came back.

“I’s covered ‘n snow.”

“Alright, that gives us less of a chance of discovery.”

The hoofsteps stopped, and they heard muffled voices. Then, hoofsteps sounded, and headed off in different directions. Thorax nearly breathed a sigh of relief before realizing one beat still remained, and the creature seemed to be talking to itself.

“N-Now wha’?” Apex asked

“We’re changelings, grub, we just transform.” Pharynx replied

“But Pharynx, you’re hurt. There’s no way you’ll be able to sustain a form for very long-”

“I’ll be fi-argh!” Pharynx winced as he tried to stand and fell back down.

Thorax gasped as he saw fresh blood seeping through the cobweb bandages. He reached over and readjusted them.

“Apex, stand guard but don’t make any sounds. I’m going to get Pharynx out of the open.” Thorax instructed in a low voice.

“O-Okay Pater-Thorax.”

Thorax hooked his forelegs under Pharynx’s, dragging him through the snow using all the strength he had. Luckily, while Pharynx maintained his muscular build, hunger had made him somewhat thinner and easier to manage. Pharynx’s eyes were closed, he was breathing raggedly, and barely struggling as Thorax moved him. Thorax took that as a bad sign.

He managed to drag Pharynx to a more sheltered alcove, just as they heard a scream, and Apex came dashing over.

“A-A big scaly thing jus’ fell in.” he whimpered. “I’ hi’ a rock.”

Thorax gulped. With Pharynx down, there was only one option. He lifted Apex and laid him by Pharynx, nuzzling him briefly.

“Stay with Pharynx. Don’t come get me unless he seems to get worse. Alright?”

“O-Okay Pater-Thorax.” Apex whispered, nuzzling Pharynx. “I’ll ‘tect him.”

Thorax smiled at him softly before turning and rushing out. The creature was a young dragon. Thorax sighed and studied him for a moment before taking his form while he wasn’t looking, then hiding and waiting. Maybe he’d think it was a reflective piece of ice.