• Published 15th Oct 2021
  • 929 Views, 58 Comments

The Young Warrior - Melody Song



Apex-discipulus, the young nymph apprenticed to Pharynx-dominus, chooses his heart over following the rules, and follows The Rankless One into the unknown.

  • ...
6
 58
 929

Through The Wild

The two friends had had an eventful first day outside the Hive. They’d tried to get as far as possible, seeing as Thorax was now the only Prince -- and heir -- left since Pharynx had been the one leading the soldiers to Ponyville. They had to move fast before search parties were sent out.

“Here seems like a good place to stop.” Thorax said, looking at the small lake they stood by.

“Plen’y of wa’er.” Apex agreed

“We can’t drink any of it. It’s stagnant water.” Thorax replied. “Though if we can find a river that feeds into it we can drink from there.”

“Oh, okay Pater-Thorax!”

Thorax had gotten used to Apex innocently calling him by the name, and merely turned around to examine their surroundings, ignoring the guilty pang in his chest. He then saw a cave opening and cautiously moved towards it.

“Why’re you going slow?”

“There could be an animal in there-ahh!” Thorax screamed as a branch snapped from in the cave.

Apex drew his crossbow and aimed it, even though Pharynx hadn’t taught him how to use it properly. He would learn, but until then, he’d just have to hope he got it right.

Thorax scrambled backwards, dragging Apex with him. Then, they saw a rabbit scamper out.

“Oh…” Thorax blushed sheepishly.

Apex giggled. “I’s okay, Pater-Thorax. Le’s jus’ se’ up camp!”

Thorax nodded and led them in. They made it just in time, as it began to rain. Apex waited as Thorax found some dry wood underneath a bush and began making a fire.

“Here, see? You knock the flint together and-” Thorax created a spark that flew onto the wood.

“Woah…”

“Heh, cool, right?”

“Mhm!”

Thorax chuckled and pulled out some food, MREs. He grimaced as he ate his. Apex gagged as he swallowed some.

“Why’d you ge' these?”

“They’ll keep the longest. I figured we’d only eat them when we couldn’t forage or hunt.”

“Okay Pater-Thorax…”

After choking down their meals, Thorax laid down by the fire, and Apex joined him. He cuddled up against the older changeling, resting his head on his stomach.

“Pater-Thorax?”

“Yes Apex?”

“I-Is this wha' you ‘magined?”

“Well… not completely… but I’m free.” Thorax nuzzled him. “And I’m with you. That’s all I need.”

“Hehe, okay.”

“Why don’t you get some rest? We’re staying here for the night, the rain might last a while.”

“Okay Pater-Thorax…”

Apex yawned and rested his head on Thorax’s stomach. The rise and fall of his stomach as he breathed lulled the nymph to sleep.

“Pater-Thorax?”

“Y-Yes Apex?”

“D-D’you think mommy and daddy are proud o’ me? You think they think I did the righ’ thing?”

Thorax smiled and wrapped a foreleg over the nymph. “They loved you Apex. I’m sure that they’ll be proud as long as you’re happy.”

“Okay…” Apex yawned again. “G’night Pater-Thorax…”

“Goodnight little one.” Thorax whispered, and nuzzled him once more before they fell asleep.

-----------------------------------------------------

“Pater-Thorax…” Apex moaned

He’d been very hungry for love, as had Thorax. They continued on, despite hunger. Thorax had resorted to carrying Apex as he trudged in no particular direction. They’d been walking for over a week.

“I’m hungry too, little one… just a bit farther, I promise.”

“Then we ge’ food?”

“...Yes, yes we will.”

Apex sighed and rolled onto his back, staring up at the sky through the dense trees. This forest was strange to them. They kept hearing howls and branches breaking. Apex closed his eyes, starving and tired.

Thorax sighed. He kept moving, keeping the little nymph secure on his back. A vine caught in one of his leg holes and he stumbled. Thorax managed to keep himself upright and kept moving. Then, he saw it.

“Apex, look! The trees are getting thinner!”

Apex leapt up for a better look, leaning on Thorax’s head. “I see i’! We made i’ Pater-Thorax!”

Thorax chuckled and moved faster, full of renewed vigor and hope.

Then… they reached the edge of the treeline. Thorax’s already wide teal eyes went wider as his earfins drooped.

“N-No…”

“Wha' is i' Pater-Thorax?”

“Th-This is the town Pharynx’s troops were going to, Apex. P-Ponyville…”

Apex’s dark blue eyes widened as well. “S-So… w-we can’ go in?”

“They’re bound to be on high alert…”

“Nooo…” Apex moaned.

Thorax sighed and hung his head. “I-I’m sorry little one…”

“I’s no' your faul’ Pater-Thorax…”

Thorax sighed again and turned, heading back into the forest undergrowth. Thorax wandered through the forest, going as deep in as he dared to with no map and a nymph under his care.

After a while, Apex got off his back and began walking. He sniffed at the plants, occasionally veering off to bat at the fern-like plants that tickled his nose. The nymph only barely avoided touching Poison Joke due to Thorax hauling him away from it.

Thorax made sure to stay near the treeline, so they’d know when they’d passed Ponyville. But this turned out to give them a disadvantage, it appeared they were not alone. They heard hoofsteps several times and often Thorax had to coax Apex under a bush to hide.

However, Thorax’s senses were not as finely tuned as his brother’s had been. This caused many creatures to see them before they realized it was even there. Most were deterred from the two changelings due to their obvious hunger-panged frames meaning they wouldn't provide much of a meal.

But one creature paused as the changelings came into their sightline. It began to follow them along at a safe distance.

Thorax sighed and sat down, desperate for a break. Apex flopped down beside him, and the creature tailing them was able to observe their current health condition. Apex’s once healthy nymph body was now thin and gaunt. Thorax was thin as well, even thinner than Apex, making it clear he’d been giving most of the food to the nymph.

“‘M t-tired…”

“I know little one…” Thorax rubbed the nymph’s head.

The creature following them decided to make themself known. They stepped into the open, intentionally stepping on a branch to make Thorax look up, and his eyes went wide in shock.

“I-I don’t believe it..."