• Published 15th Oct 2021
  • 929 Views, 58 Comments

The Young Warrior - Melody Song



Apex-discipulus, the young nymph apprenticed to Pharynx-dominus, chooses his heart over following the rules, and follows The Rankless One into the unknown.

  • ...
6
 58
 929

Hive Runners

“There’s the entrance to the throne room.” Pharynx whispered, rearing up from behind the large rocks they were hiding behind to peek out. “Chrysalis should be just on the other side of it.”

“Now what?” Trixie asked

“E-Even if I wanted to go in there, there’d be no way past those guards…” Thorax whispered.

“He’s right.” Pharynx said, dropping back down to sit beside his brother. “They’ve all clearly gone soft but they’re not dumb enough to let two ponies, a snake thing-”

“Hey!” Discord exclaimed in a low whisper. Pharynx ignored him.

“-And three exiled changelings walk into the throne room.”

“Then we clearly need some kind of distraction.” Starlight said, putting a hoof to her chin.

“Well, we used all of my smoke bombs…” Trixie said, digging through her saddlebags.

“Normally I’m the most distracting thing I can think of, but without magic…” Discord looked at his claw and paw. Starlight grinned.

“You shouldn’t underestimate yourself.”

Pharynx and Trixie both seemed to get what she was saying and smirked. Discord gulped slightly.

----------------------------------------------------

Starlight and Pharynx shoved Discord forwards, making sure to stay out of sight. Pharynx chuckled and pulled Apex against him, watching with a grin. Discord tapped the prop microphone they’d taken from Trixie’s bags.

“Hello changelings and changelettes!” Discord greeted, getting their attention. “Believe me, I’m just as surprised as you are that I’m here. When I heard I’d be performing for a bunch of changelings I was beside myself! But then I realized it was just one of you.”

The guardlings merely snarled. Discord rolled his eyes and continued.

“Seriously, this isn’t the toughest crowd I’ve performed for but it’s definitely the easiest to bug!”

Discord proclaimed this with a grin, but merely got confused chitters. Pharynx facehoofed from where the others were hiding. Discord groaned and pulled at his face.

“Come on! To bug? Is this thing on?”

Discord tapped the microphone. The guards snarled again, hissing. Discord huffed.

“Well, if you think you can do better, be my guest!” he tossed the microphone to them. It hit the floor and lay between them.

The changelings stared at it, then growled, hissing at the draconequus. Discord waved awkwardly before scampering off. As the guardlings gave chase, the five remaining members of the group snuck into the entrance.

“It is absolutely ridiculous that that worked.” Trixie said dryly.

“You’re telling me.” Pharynx muttered. “Either way, we can’t wait for Discord for long.”

“Mhm, the Hive will be swarming with more guards soon.” Thorax whispered

“Why now and not before?” Starlight asked

“Standard infiltration protocol.” Pharynx said. “Like how two of the warrior drones split off from the rest after the encounter with Trixie. Now that they’ve seen Discord on top of her, the patrols will be doubled.”

‘But if we do manage to destroy Chrysalis’ throne, we'll need him.” Starlight objected. “He could take on entire swarms of the changelings by sneezing if he wanted to.”

“Wha’ if he’s been cap’ured?” Apex asked, looking up at the adults with wide eyes.

As they tried not to let this thought sink in, the entrance opened again. Pharynx immediately grabbed Thorax and Apex and dragged them behind a rock before anyone could spot them. Starlight and Trixie followed his lead, pressing against the wall.

“Hello… fellow rescuers…?”

It was Discord, he was looking around for them. Starlight and Trixie cautiously crept out into his sightline. Pharynx peeked out to see what was going on, and Discord spotted him moving. However, Pharynx didn't leave the hiding place, ducking back down to guard Thorax and Apex.

“We can’t stay here. We’ve got to find the throne.” Starlight told him.

“Oh! I heard one of the changelings chasing me say they know where it is!” Discord said, clapping his paw and talon together.

Starlight and Trixie glanced at each other, then Trixie leaned forwards.

“Klutzy…?”

“Hm? Oh, yes, I can be klutzy. Now, follow me!” Discord said brightly, heading down the tunnel.

“That’s not Discord.” Starlight whispered

“Obviously.” Trixie replied

“This way! We’re almost there!” the fake Discord called, heading into a tunnel curving to the left.

“This is a changeling trick.” Pharynx spoke, he, Thorax, and Apex appearing behind the unicorns, making them jump.

“What do you mean?” Starlight asked

“If he says go left, we have to go right.” Thorax explained.

“He’s leading us to a swarm waiting to attack.” Pharynx added

“But one of us has to go after him, or he’ll come looking for us.” Starlight objected.

Both Pharynx and Apex stepped forwards, ready to offer themselves up as bait. But before either of them could speak, Trixie sighed and walked past them.

“Alright, I’ll handle it. You four just get ready to run into the other tunnel.” she said, trotting forward. Starlight caught her hoof before she could leave.

“Trixie, no, you can’t! We’ve already lost Discord, I can’t lose you too! Without magic, I-”

“Starlight.” Trixie held up a hoof. “You’ve got us this far with just my illusions, some rouge changelings, and Discord’s annoying personality. You don’t need your magic to figure out what to do next, you've already got us all the way here. I get that you don’t like being in charge, but you’re really good at it.”

“She’s not wrong.” Pharynx remarked. "Everything I've seen so far tells me you're a leader, no matter what you try to say otherwise."

"But I-"

“Listen to your best friend.” Trixie insisted, hugging Starlight tightly, before she turned around and chased after the fake Discord.

“Trixie-” Starlight tried to call out, but Thorax and Pharynx pulled her away, crouching down beside Apex.

“Hey! Discord!” Trixie called, and the fake Discord turned to face her.

“Yes, my best friend?” he gave her a smile that was obviously too wide to be his.

“Would you like to see a new trick I’ve been working on?” Trixie placed her hoof on the fake Discord’s paw, then pulled away to reveal a strand of knotted scarves. “I call it the changeling capture!”

“Now!” Pharynx hissed, springing up from his position.

Starlight, Thorax, and Apex followed Pharynx's lead, allowing the former general to guide them into the correct tunnel. They ran for it, heading even deeper into the tunnels of the Hive. Even as Trixie's scream and the sound of hundreds of hissing changelings rang in their ears, they didn't stop running.