• Published 15th Oct 2021
  • 929 Views, 58 Comments

The Young Warrior - Melody Song



Apex-discipulus, the young nymph apprenticed to Pharynx-dominus, chooses his heart over following the rules, and follows The Rankless One into the unknown.

  • ...
6
 58
 929

The Queen

As the group of four ran, Apex jumped onto the nearest creature’s back so he wouldn't get left behind. It turned out to be Pharynx, apparently. Apex scrambled onto the violet carapace, clinging to his uncle.

The group then came to a fork in the hall, where two different paths lay ahead. Buzzing sounds came from behind them; they were being followed, and they wouldn't have long until the swarm caught up. Starlight glanced at the changelings, and after a brief exchanged glance with his brother, Pharynx nodded to one of the tunnels. Pharynx veered into the tunnel to their left, Starlight fast behind him and Apex clinging to his back. Thorax, meanwhile, took off down the other tunnel at top speed. Apex whimpered as his papa left, but stayed quiet.

The three emerged in a dark corner of a room that Apex originally didn't recognize, but as he looked around, it began to become familiar. He saw the open space placed before a stone plinth, the throngs of unreformed changelings in the domed room, the glowing pods containing creatures he recognized hanging from the ceiling like a morbid chandelier. They were at the back of the throne room, and Apex nearly gasped once realizing where exactly they were.

Directly behind Chrysalis’ black, twisted throne. Apex shivered as the cold of the room swept past them, burrowing into his uncle. Then, a lone figure trotted through the doors. Starlight Glimmer.

“Huh? Bu’ you'e…” Apex glanced from the Starlight beside them to the one making her way into the throne room with an air of frightened caution.

“It’s Thorax.” Pharynx breathed, and Apex slid off his back, standing in place and staring as his disguised father walked up to the pods, staring at them in horror.

“Quick, while he’s distracting Chrysalis, we can destroy the throne.” Starlight whispered frantically.

Pharynx immediately ignited his horn, a changeling’s signature lime green aura emitting from it. He began to slowly carve into the rocks of the throne, but it wasn’t easy. Apex added his own, weaker aura, and Starlight grabbed a sharp rock to begin chipping away at the stone.

Apex stopped when he heard a splattering noise and Chrysalis laughing. Pharynx also froze, and they peeked out from a hole in the throne, careful not to be seen. Thorax-turned-Starlight was pinned to the floor with changeling goo.

“One little pony all by herself.” Chrysalis poked her head out from amidst the cocoons of all the taken ponies.

Apex whimpered softly as he saw exactly who they all were. Cadence and Shining. Luna and Celestia. Princess Twilight and her friends. Spike. Discord and Trixie. As Chrysalis flew down to the disguised Thorax, not even noticing that it was a disguise, all three hidden creatures ducked into the shadows, continuing to watch with bated breath.

“Oh, how will I ever prevent this daring rescue?”

The false Starlight flinched as guardlings came over to hold her there. Chrysalis stalked around the throne room, smirking.

“The Princess of Friendship’s sole pupil. Honestly, I didn’t think you were worth replacing with one of my drones.”

“Y-You won’t get away with this! I'll get my friends back!” the fake Starlight said defiantly, but Chrysalis merely cackled.

“Oh, but I already have. Nopony is coming to save you. Your little squad was it. And now, you’re the only one left.”

Then, the false Starlight grew confident, smirking at the changeling queen. “Thorax and Pharynx are still out there!”

Chrysalis leapt forwards, hissing with such anger that the disguised Thorax shrunk back in fright. Pharynx flinched and rubbed his temple, as Apex looked between the two.

"He's terrified... he's not going to be able to keep this up much longer." Pharynx whispered, and they continued chipping at the throne with renewed vigor.

“You do not ever mention the names of those traitors in my presence!” she snarled, then stepped back. “Thorax was a fool to leave, Pharynx and his little wrench fools to follow him. They have doubled such idiocy to return!”

Apex pressed into Pharynx, who held him close despite the urgency of their task to break the throne. The fake Starlight began to look frightened, which Chrysalis ignored completely, continuing in her rant.

“They are exiles! Former princes! Those two are no sons of mine as far as I'm concerned, and they are not my heirs! I will never rest until I have them in my clutches! I will make them regret their foolish whims of friendship and love! When I find where those three are hiding, they’ll learn exactly what happens to those who betray the Hive!” Chrysalis promised, leering at the fake Starlight, her fangs bared.

Thorax whimpered and shrank back away from his mother, doing his best to look like he wasn't scared. But just as Chrysalis pulled back and seemed about to continue, Thorax's eyes gleamed with a familiar teal hue. Pharynx’s eyes widened and he shook his head frantically.

"Come on Thorax, you've got this, don't give it away." he breathed, turning to slash at the throne with his magic in an effort to make Thorax's sacrifice worth something.

Apex was staring at his father figure in terror, praying that Chrysalis wouldn't notice the teal gleam that had flashed across his eyes. But it was too late. Chrysalis' eyes narrowed and she leaned closer to Thorax, a grin gracing her face now. Starlight began to work faster, desperation clearly clouding her common sense. Pharynx, meanwhile, froze in place, shaking his head and shutting his eyes. Apex watched the two, knowing Pharynx was trying to reach his brother, to tell him to hold the form.

“And it seems I don’t have far to look, do I…?”

"N-No... Papa Thorax..." Apex breathed, lunging forward. Pharynx grabbed him and held him still.

"No grub, we can't."

Chrysalis ignited her horn and blasted Thorax, who shrank back and whimpered in terror. The disguise burned away, leaving the trembling changeling stuck in the center of the throne room, completely exposed.

“Thorax!”