• Published 15th Oct 2021
  • 923 Views, 58 Comments

The Young Warrior - Melody Song



Apex-discipulus, the young nymph apprenticed to Pharynx-dominus, chooses his heart over following the rules, and follows The Rankless One into the unknown.

  • ...
6
 58
 923

Changeling Games

Celestia and Luna led them to a side entrance of the castle, which took them to the entryway. The royals began talking idly as they walked, clearly trying to distract from the stares the servants were giving to the changelings. Despite having been forewarned, it was still an odd sight to see three changelings casually walking behind royalty.

“We’ve been looking forward to your visit, you know.” Luna remarked to Cadence.

“Especially if it means we get to spend time with our precious little grand-niece.” Celestia agreed, reaching to stroke Flurry Heart’s mane, which roused the little one. Flurry yawned and opened her eyes, giggling as she looked up at Celestia.

“Aun’ ia!”

“Heh, hello Flurry.” Celestia nuzzled her.

“Aun’ie Lulu!”

Luna chuckled and gave a brief nod to the filly. “The little one seems quite keen in making clever nicknames.”

“Tell me about it.” Pharynx grunted

“Oh?” Luna turned to him, a mischievous twinkle in her eye that surprised the changelings. “Has she one for you?”

“Yes, Flurry does. And Apex is young enough to have some for us too.” Pharynx replied. “Though his name for me is in the old tongue. And apologies, but we agreed he would not say it in another's presence.”

Luna giggled. “Surely that rule can be bent for family…”

“Well, Flurry can show you her names for them.” Shining grinned. He took his daughter and held her out to them. “Flurry, look who’s here~”

“Tora! Tora, Tora!” Flurry babbled, reaching for Thorax. He giggled, shifting and revealing Apex to her. “A’ex! A’ex, u’!”

Apex groaned and shifted. “Min’ Flur’y…” he mumbled

Flurry huffed “A’ex. U’.”

Cadence giggled. “We figured out that Apex, as a five year old, is still young enough to be able to understand Flurry and speak with her. It’s been very helpful.”

Shining nodded. “Now Flurry, why not focus on Pharynx?”

Flurry looked up and giggled, reaching out to him. “Phar’yin!”

“Heh, Phar’yin. Amusing.” Luna chuckled

Pharynx blushed. “Yeah yeah…”

“Mm… Avunculus-Pharynx?”

Pharynx turned bright red as Apex opened his eyes, yawning.

“Wh-What is it, grub?”

“We there ye’?”

Thorax giggled and lit his horn, levitating Apex off his back and cradling him in his hooves. Celestia and Luna both moved closer to the little nymph, in awe.

“Why, hello there little one.” Celestia murmured

Apex blinked up at them, then snuggled into Thorax’s foreleg, the holes in his hoof locking the nymph securely in his grasp.

“H-Hi…” Apex mumbled.

“You know who we are, don’t you?” Celestia asked

“P-Princess ‘Lestia an’ Princess Luna…” Apex whispered

“Heh, yes little one.” Celestia smiled. “Aren’t you adorable?”

Apex giggled and hid his face in Thorax’s shoulder. Celestia chuckled, she and Luna rising. Flurry had watched this exchange with indifference, but now reached for her fellow young one.

“Tora! A’ex! Phar’yin! Hide an’ eek!”

“Heh, do you mean ‘hide and seek’, Flurry?” Celestia asked

“Hide an’ eek!” Flurry nodded “‘Angeling hide an’ eek!”

“Changeling hide and seek?” Luna echoed, looking a them.

Cadence chuckled. “They usually remain in their own forms, but we allow them to play a version of hide and seek with Flurry. They have ten minutes to choose a disguise, inanimate or otherwise, then Flurry has to find them.”

“We also let Apex join her in searching. It helps his training.” Pharynx added

“Ah.” Celestia lifted Flurry in her hooves. “So you want them to play their hide and seek, hm?”

“Mhm!”

“Well, let’s let them.” Celestia smiled

You can let them, sister. I will be rejoining the rest of you at dinner.” Luna spoke. “I must rest to be able to perform my duties.”

“Alright then.” Celestia smiled as Luna walked off. “Now, how about that hide and seek game?”

“Hide an’ eek!” Flurry agreed

“Let’s go then.” Celestia laughed, placing Flurry on her back.

“Apex, join them. Thorax and I will be the bait.” Pharynx said.

“Bait?” Celestia asked

“It’s what he calls the hiders.” Cadence explained, though Pharynx huffed at her.

“Well, would you, Shining, and Sunburst like to join in?” Celestia suggested

“Actually, I was thinking Shiny and I would visit his parents for the day, since you wanted to spend time with Flurry.” Cadence said timidly.

“A-And I was hoping to check out the castle library, i-if that’s okay.” Sunburst added, scuffing a hoof on the ground.

“Of course, you have my permission Sunburst, and you as well Cadence, I won’t keep you. I’d be happy to watch my little niece.” Celestia smiled at the foal, who giggled at her.

“Thanks Auntie.” Cadence nuzzled her, then they headed off.

“Okay Apex, time us, ten minutes.” Pharynx said

“Okay Avunculus-Pharynx.” Apex said

“How about I do that instead?” Celestia suggested

“Fine.” Pharynx said, then he and Thorax raced off. Celestia giggled, mentally counting down to ten minutes.

After ten minutes, Celestia set Flurry down. “So, how does this work?”

“I can t’ack them!” Apex exclaimed, opening his mouth. “Frui’y smell from Papa Thorax an’ sour from Avunculus-Pharynx. They wen’ tha’ way!”

Apex raced off, and a smiling Celestia followed with Flurry, who was giggling. Apex dashed through the halls, jaws parted. He darted from side to side, sniffing at the curtains, walls, and decorative vases. Apex suddenly turned and entered a room with an open door.

“Whas’ this room Princess?”

“This is one of the guest rooms.” Celestia explained.

Apex dropped down into a hunter’s crouch. “I know you’e in he’e Papa Thorax…”

Celestia giggled softly as Flurry joined him. She toddled around, then babbled and pointed at the bed. Apex stalked over, sniffed it, then giggled and sprung. He tackled the pillow, which screeched. Celestia laughed aloud as the pillow transformed into Thorax, who hit the floor. Flurry and Apex both clambered onto Thorax’s stomach.

“Heheh, go’ you Papa Thorax!”

“Cat’ Tora! Cat’ Tora!”

“Heheh, y-yeah, you got me! C-Can you get off now…?”

“Le’s fin’ Avunculus-Pharynx!” Apex said, getting off him. Flurry followed, letting Thorax sit up.

“I think I saw him transforming into something in the hallway.” Thorax told the young ones.

“Le’s go!” Apex grabbed Thorax’s hoof and dragged him away. Celestia, still laughing, picked up Flurry and followed.

Apex and Flurry sniffed around in the hallway, searching for Pharynx. Flurry eventually gave up and flew to Celestia. She smiled and cradled the foal as Apex continued. Thorax sat down near Celestia, watching Apex nervously.

“I-I don’t think Pharynx will mind if you don’t find him, Apex…”

“Bu’ I ne’er foun’ him a’fore an’ I go’a so I can make him an’ mommy an’ daddy proud!” Apex insisted

“O-Okay then…” Thorax watched the nymph hopefully.

Apex continued pacing around the hallway, searching for the general. He soon began yawning, his steps slowing. Thorax closed his eyes and ignited his horn, making it glow with a faint blue aura, which trailed over to Apex and gently guided him to Thorax.

“P-Papa Thorax, no…” Apex mumbled, stumbling into Thorax’s hooves.

“It’s okay you didn’t find him Apex, it’s naptime anyway.”

“Flurry can agree with that.” Celestia chuckled, looking down at the foal, who had fallen asleep.

“Nu-uh, Flu’ry’s jus’ a baby, ‘m five.” Apex replied, though he cuddled into Thorax.

“Why not just close your eyes for a little bit?” Celestia suggested

“Mm-mm…” Apex yawned and closed his eyes, resting his head on Thorax’s shoulder. He snuggled against the adult changeling, soon asleep within minutes.

Thorax smiled at the nymph. “You can come out now, Phar.” he spoke to the hallway.

In a flash of green flames, one of the wall sconces became the changeling in question. He chuckled as he flew over to them.

“Finally. Got to give the grub credit, he kept at it longer than I thought, it’s building his patience and stamina. I also had to resort to hiding higher than he could reach, his senses are improving.”

“So it does teach him.” Celestia smiled slightly. “I was under the impression it was a game cleverly disguised as a training exercise.”

“Oh please, like I’d say something was training when it was just a game. I’m a general.” Pharynx scoffed. Thorax nodded in silent agreement.

“Well, either way, it was nice to see Apex play. He’s not that different from a foal around his age.” Celestia said, looking down at the nymph. “And I must say, he couldn’t have chosen better creatures to be his surrogate family.”

Thorax blushed, nuzzling Apex. Pharynx huffed and glared at the floor. Celestia chuckled and smiled at them kindly.

“I think you three make a sweet family.”

“Th-Thank you Princess…” Thorax murmured, smiling up at her.

“Y-Yeah… thanks…” Pharynx muttered

“Of course.” Celestia responded, and the three fell silent. They watched the sleeping nymph and foal for a while longer, enjoying the quiet.

“I think we should get Apex to bed.” Thorax commented after a little bit, and Celestia smiled.

“How about I take you to your guest room?” she suggested, standing, careful not to wake Flurry.

“Alright.” Thorax agreed, also rising. Pharynx got up as well.

Celestia led them down the hall, stopping at a large room. “Since there are three of you, you’ll get one of the more extravagant guest rooms. It has two beds instead of one, and more space.”

“Thank you princess. We really don’t need that much space…” Thorax said, as Pharynx took Apex from him and carried him to one of the beds.

“It’s fine Thorax, this room isn’t used much anyway. Go ahead.” Celestia nodded at the room. Thorax stepped into the room. “Luna and I will come get you for dinner later.”

“Okay princess, thank you.” Thorax said, sitting on one of the beds.

“Of course. You’re our guests.” Celestia smiled at him kindly, then looked down at Flurry. “Now, I had better take this little one to Shining and Cadence’s room. I’ll see you three in a few hours.”

Pharynx nodded curtly, and Thorax smiled slightly. Celestia then waved her wing in goodbye before leaving.