• Published 15th Oct 2021
  • 929 Views, 58 Comments

The Young Warrior - Melody Song



Apex-discipulus, the young nymph apprenticed to Pharynx-dominus, chooses his heart over following the rules, and follows The Rankless One into the unknown.

  • ...
6
 58
 929

Summons

After several more weeks, Pharynx had healed completely, and was doing much better. Because of this, he now participated in weekly sessions with Thorax, which had changed. Not only would they inform Cadence and Shining of life in the Hive, they would also be taught things about pony culture and pony knowledge.

“I don’t see why this… math is so important and beneficial.” Pharynx said as he lit up his horn to use the quill. He and Thorax were seated at Cadence’s desk, doing a math worksheet. Apex had gone to play with Flurry for the day.

“It does help, you’ll see.” Cadence replied, leaning over and gently tapping her hoof against one of Thorax’s answers, showing him where he’d gotten it wrong. “Though I must admit, I had similar questions in my school days.”

Pharynx grunted and held up his finished worksheet. “Done.”

Cadence took it with a look of bemusement, though that quickly turned to surprise and amazement.

“What?”

“They’re… they’re all correct. Even this last one, but Shining put that in there as a joke, he didn’t expect…”

“What, the question about what x is if one-hundred thirty plus two-x equals one thousand three hundred? X equals five, it’s easy, any nymph can do it.”

Thorax gave a small nod. “Yeah, but you always remembered that stuff better…”

“You picked up this math after one lesson?” Cadence asked

"Of course." Pharynx fell silent for a moment. “...Mother always told me ‘be the best’. ‘Rise above the others’. ‘Above all else, don’t disappoint’.”

“Oh…” Cadence reached and laid a hoof on his shoulder. “It’s alright…”

Pharynx shook her off. “It’s fine. I wouldn’t be Pharynx-dominus without her pressuring me. Raw talent helped, but…”

Thorax nuzzled his brother, then looked down at his worksheet. “Is this right, Phar?”

“Why are you asking me?”

“You got them all right.”

Pharynx sighed and looked over at Thorax’s worksheet. “You got the sixth one wrong, you need to carry the five over and add the twelve.”

“Oh.” Thorax quickly adjusted it.

“You seem to be a great teacher, Pharynx.” Cadence said

“Whatever.” Pharynx stood. “If you’ll excuse me, seeing as I’ve learned everything for today, I’ll be going.”

Cadence frowned. “Very well…” Pharynx left the room, closing the door behind him, and Cadence stood up. “Thorax, I would like to follow him.”

“He’s not going anywhere important…”

“Still, I know Shining would follow him and he’s still suspicious of you all, doubly so now that we know who your mother is. I’d rather it be me than him.”

Thorax nodded. “I understand. I can follow him, if you’d like. I’ve finished my work.”

“Yes, please. You know him better than myself. I'll come with you.”

Thorax nodded and led the way out of the room. The two stopped, Cadence following Thorax's lead as he seemed to hesitate.

“Thorax?” Cadence questioned, glancing at him.

“He can’t know we’re following him or he’ll change course.” Thorax explained, giving a sheepish smile. “I am, as of right now, using my brother’s own tactics against him. He taught them to me.”

Cadence giggled softly and nodded at Thorax to continue. “Go on, perhaps you can give me a lesson while we do this.”

“Do what?” Shining Armor strode up. “Does it have anything to do with why a guard told me Pharynx is wandering the castle alone?”

“He finished his work early and asked if he could leave.” Cadence explained. “Remind me later to show you his worksheet, it appears he’s extremely smart.”

“And the reason you mentioned a lesson?”

“Thorax is helping me track Pharynx, I was curious as to how he was going to do that.”

“Ah.” Shining looked at Thorax. “Proceed.”

Thorax nodded timidly. “Each creature has a personal scent that is unique to them. Pharynx’s scent is one that reminds me of a fruit you showed us, lemons. He says mine is the taste of those mangoes we sometimes eat for breakfast.”

“Interesting. So you’re using this to track him?” Cadence asked

“Essentially.” Thorax nodded

Thorax led them down the hall, stopping every now and then to open his mouth and scent the air. Eventually, they stopped again.

“Pharynx went into wherever that leads. I know Sunburst gave him a tour like you did for myself and Apex, but I’m afraid I don’t recall where this door opens to.”

“It leads to the training grounds.” Shining replied.

Thorax sighed heavily. “Then I know exactly what he’s doing.”

Shining raised his brow, lighting his horn to open the door. They entered the large training grounds, and heard the sound of fighting.

Pharynx was lunging at a training dummy. He snarled as he tackled it and pinned it expertly, eyes narrowed as he tore into it. He then pushed off against it, propelling himself into the air and spinning, wings open to slow his descent as he whipped around and came down on another dummy.

Thorax sighed and glanced up at their hosts, waiting for a reaction. Shining was standing with his mouth agape, while Cadence watched, transfixed.

Pharynx pushed himself away from the second dummy and lit up his horn, summoning a crossbow from a nearby shelf of weapons. He reared onto his hind legs and began firing it at the other dummies, toppling over most of them, each with perfect aim. Then, he spun around… and saw them.

“I… uh…” Pharynx slung the crossbow over his shoulder and dropped down onto all fours again, walking over. “I didn’t mean to-”

“How did you do that?!” Shining gestured to the dummies. “I can’t even get some of the guards to repeat-fire dummies, and that flip thing…”

Pharynx shrugged. “Hoof-picked to be trained by the previous general and naturally skilled in battle. Just comes instinctively.”

“That’s amazing.” Cadence looked down at him. “I see what you two were talking about earlier when you said you picked up things easily.”

Pharynx nodded sheepishly. “I apologize for making use of your weapons and training equipment. I had been eager to get back into my usual training routine and I never hear the guards talk about using the equipment at their leisure so I assumed it would be alright to borrow some that wasn't being used.”

Shining nodded. “I understand. It’s not everyone that enjoys extra training because they simply want to train.”

“Well, I do.” Pharynx said, adjusting the crossbow. “I need to get back into peak physical condition. The love around here is delicious but I’m not going to be fattening up on it.”

Shining chuckled. “Good to know.”

Thorax trotted over and began nosing Pharynx.

“Gah! Thorax, stop it! I’m fine, I’m not going to overexert myself or anything.” Pharynx shoved him away.

“You’re sure?” Thorax asked, eyeing him suspiciously.

“Yes, I’m sure.” Pharynx then smirked. “Besides, this was only a warm-up.”

This was your warm up?” Shining asked, gesturing around at the training dummies.

“Of course.”

Shining smirked. “Alright, I like your style. Maybe we should spar someday.”

“Sure. Let me know when so I can prepare to run the knight into the ground.” Pharynx lifted the crossbow, spun it around, then fired it without looking, sending it straight into one of the only remaining dummies, which toppled over.

“Will do. But I think I’ll be the one driving someone’s carapace into a wall.” Shining replied playfully.

Pharynx was about to respond with an equally smug quip, but a bright flash distracted them all. A scroll came floating down from midair, and Cadence grabbed it with her magic.

“I-It’s from Aunt Tia.” Cadence said as she unrolled the scroll.

“Who?” Pharynx asked

“Celestia.” Cadence replied as she read the rest of the message. “Oh…”

“What is it?” Shining asked

“I’ve been keeping Aunt Tia and Aunt Luna informed of what’s been happening.” Cadence looked over at them. “They want to meet you two and Apex.”