• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 11,679 Views, 767 Comments

Semper Pie - deathtap



Meet Pinkie's long lost (more like forgotten) brother: Semper Pie.

  • ...
40
 767
 11,679

PreviousChapters Next
Mission 7, Part 10: Prophecy Shmophecy

“H-hello,” Twilight said in her squeaky voice as she stood in front of the mare’s desk.

“Why, hello there. What’s your name?”

“T-Twilight S-Sparkle. Ma’am.”

The mare hovered a clipboard in front of her face while using some power to hover a pair of half-moon rimmed glasses delicately in front of her eyes. Not that delicacy was required. Judging from the thickness of the lens; if those hit the floor, it wouldn’t be the spectacles that would break. She was looking for the filly’s name in the list when, at the edge of her vision, she noticed the filly’s severely intent stare. She shifted her focus away from the clipboard and onto the young filly sitting on the chair in front of her. “Is something the matter, sweetie?”

“N-n-n-n-no. J-just, you’re doing that so… easily.”

That made the mare stop as a small, nearly imperceptible smile encroached on her face. While it wasn’t exactly a rare skill for anypony with training in magic, it was another thing altogether for a filly of her age to even notice, much less comprehend. To actively be aware of magic being used in a specific way showed curiosity and knowledge beyond her age. To the old mare behind the desk, that was a good thing, but she wanted to play along a little.

“Doing what, dearie?”

That!”

“You mean this?” she gestured with her hoof to the two objects in her power’s glow. “Using the same thread to hold both the clipboard and the glasses?”

“Y-yes. I was just wondering why not use another… thread?” Twilight looked at the mare behind the desk for confirmation, who nodded. That was the correct term. “Thread… to hold the glasses instead of sharing the same one with the clipboard.”

She forgot she was supposed to be shy, the mare thought to herself swallowing the grin that was trying to take over her lips yet again.

“Well, if I did that, it would take too much power to use more threads when I needed to. As you may know, threads are what we unicorns use to weave our magic, so, if I used too many threads to do simple tasks, well... then I wouldn’t be able to do this,” the mare replied to the filly. As the words left her mouth, tendrils of magic – like the arms of an octopus – reached out from her horn and vanished behind her, though any unicorn would still be able to feel it. Suddenly, the filing cabinets behind glowed with power. Each one was strategically placed and memorized to near perfection for demonstrations like this, and simultaneously each threw itself open.

Twilight was engrossed at what she was seeing. Her eyes studied every fluctuation and movement. She was watching a maestro at work.

Papers were removed from folders and hovered back towards the desk. In the air, a satisfying shuffling sound was all the ponies could hear as each page was sorted expertly and placed in a specific order. Then, the newly created file containing all the relevant paperwork landed on the desk in between the two. The entire affair took place with a cool efficiency and precision. The lack of hard concentration or effort that the mare behind the desk exhibited made Twilight’s eyes somehow open wider.

A fact that wasn’t lost on the mare.

“Twilight Sparkle,” the mare smiled, “my name is Professor Inkwell. Do you like magic?”

“Do I?” The filly practically shouted. She blushed and lowered her head. “I mean, yes, ma’am, I do.”

The elderly mare chuckled lightly despite herself, but quickly returned to her cool demeanor. Even so, those who knew Inkwell and her ways would be able to see the telltale twinkle in her wise old eyes. Despite herself, she leaned closer to the filly and whispered, “So do I.”

Twilight eyes brightened even more at those words.

Inkwell leaned back and looked up at the parents. This particular filly interested her immensely. For one so young to notice her usage of a single thread, or even to understand what threads were, was simply astounding for her age.

The professor narrowed her eyes slightly in thought.

“Please take her to room A113. You’ll need to give the examiners these papers,” she said and hovered the file over to the mother who took it with her magic. Inkwell felt the power overlap hers and noted how normal it was. She knew very well that skill with magic was not hereditary, nor did it hinge on natural talent alone. Like physical muscles, repetition and regular use could turn even an average magic user into a powerful mage.

Like her own magic; Inkwell’s magic was below normal, but she studied hard and understood magic. Now she was Princess Celestia’s own Distinguished Professor of Magic.

Inkwell looked down at Twilight and was surprised to see what she was doing. The filly was already trying to thread her magic through two small items on the desk in front of her at the same time. She was doing it with some difficulty, but she was doing it. Again, Inkwell had to suppress the sheer excitement welling up within her body.

“Come on, Twilight,” the mother said gently, coaxing the filly from her seat and towards the hallway.

Twilight gently lowered the two items and looked up. “Thank you, um…”

“Professor.”

“Thank you, professor.”

Inkwell watched as the family went outside her door and closed it with a gentle click. She nodded to herself and almost clapped her hooves in jubilation. There was something about that filly. “That one will go far. Very far indeed.”


“Are you kidding me?” Sonic shouted as a bolt whizzed past his ear hitting the hull of his skimmer with a dull ‘thunk’. “You have to be kidding me!”

“No. I’m not. We have to pretend that they are closing in on us or this plan won’t work!” Static shouted and raised his barrier to deflect another lucky bolt. It weaved around his shield and hit the sand next to one of the skimmer’s wings.

“But they’re using earth-based bolts now!” Sonic shouted in response. “Your electric shield isn’t going to help anymore!”

“It isn’t helping any less either. Calm down. Keep the speed normal and we’ll be fine.”

Sonic grumbled. “And how long do we have to do this?”

“For as long as we have to.”

At that, Sonic stared at the unicorn. “You better keep those bolts off my back! We’re going to die if that’s your plan!”

“We won’t, and it isn’t just my plan. But as of right now, we have to buy them time. If we don’t they are going to die.”

They continued on in silence. The whistle of another bolt was heard as it moved along the edge of Static’s barrier before being flung in a spiraling arc and hitting the sand behind them. A second later, a large spike of ice erupted out of the sand.

“Static, will this stone really save them?”

“I don’t know, Sonic. But if the Cultists want it this badly… then maybe there’s more to it than we thought. But if they’re going this far to get their hooves on it, we can’t let them take it. I don’t care about anything else right now, but we need keep that stone as far away from these psychopaths as possible. We need to do everything we can to keep them away. If that means letting the Watu, or Providence have it, then... we’ll have to play along.”

“What’s wrong with the Watu getting it?”

“Don’t be an idiot. We don’t know their intentions,” Static replied and flinched as an explosive arrow hit his shield in a near perfect angle. It struggled on the barrier before exploding, the wind giving them an unnecessary and unwanted boost. “Providence as well. Who knows what they really want with it? And I would prefer it if it was us keeping the Stone.”

“Semper is there,” Sonic pointed out.

“With a company’s worth of Watu. He’s good, but if the Watu decide to turn on him, they’ll cut him down. But, and I do meant but, if their intentions are honest, then this is the right thing to do. It would be better with them than with the Cultists, I believe... I have to believe.”

Sonic spread his wings out. “There’s a chance we can save her—I mean them?”

The unicorn couldn’t help but smile knowing exactly to whom he was referring to. “Yes, I suppose there is a chance of that.”

“Then we lead them away!” Sonic replied, all uncertainty and hesitation from before vanishing into the ether as he forced his wings to flap, pulling the skimmer ahead.


“Anything?” Providence asked as she heard the footsteps draw closer to her.

Pani shook his head out of reflex even though the mare wasn’t looking at him and had her eyes down at a very crude attempt at a map. “I’m afraid not. Each and every tunnel we explored has proven to be fruitless. It is as if the camels vanished into the very rocks they appeared from. Even your best trackers could not follow them beyond a certain point. Honestly, I am not surprised. My brethren would not have survived for this long if their homes were so easily found.”

He looked at the scribbles on the paper on the table, which they had brought with them from the encampment. A part of Pani wondered if Providence knew what she was doing. It was hard to go by word of mouth, yet she had managed to draw up something quite elaborate, even if he didn’t understand it.

“I must admit I do not understand that map.”

“This?” Providence chuckled lightly. “It makes sense to me. These lines tell me if the tunnels lead away or closer to me as I’m looking at the map. These lines tell me the angle or slope and in which direction, and these… I lost you, didn’t I?”

“Quite.” The camel sat down and wiped his forehead with his toe and took a tiny sip from a flask.

Providence watched as her two ‘bodyguards’ discretely placed their knives away. It was simply amazing how alert and deadly they were. If Pani noticed, he ignored them.

“Pani, that camel that came to see us before, do you know who he is?”

“No. But I think he’s their leader, or at least senior member of their clan.”

“What he said, can you tell me what it was about?”

He looked at her and furrowed his brow. “What do you mean?”

“What he said. That sentence. When he mentioned it, I noticed your eyes, they gave away a look of surprise. The other camels made it obvious. You all know what he said and it is important to your kind. It affected all of you.”

The old camel wiped his mouth again and heaved a huge sigh. He let go of his wand, the crystal embedded in it dimming slightly and slowly fading out as he rubbed his eyes. “How much do you know about our history?”

“Not very much, I’m afraid. I mean, I never really thought I’d ever go this far south.”

Pani nodded slowly. “Well, I suppose one cannot be expected to know of groups they have no expectation of meeting. Very well, I will start at the beginning.”

At that, Providence moved herself to face the camel as he closed his eyes and started to sway backwards and forwards slowly. Providence knew that was a way to help remember. A common trait to those who recited their histories by word of mouth rather than by written works. She knew that the Zebricans did it as well, and considering their proximity to one another, perhaps there was a deep-rooted connection between the two cultures. Perhaps, one day, when it was all over, maybe, she would explore that.

“We camels have many different versions of our history as we recite our history through words. To us, it is not taboo to write it down, but here in the desert, paper is a luxury we can seldom utilize or afford. However, no matter what form our history takes, there is, one thing is always kept common and unchanged. Knowing that will, perhaps, let you understand why his words shook us all.”

Providence waited patiently as Pani picked up his wand again, the crystal’s lighting growing back to its original luminescence.

“It will take me time to translate the words into your tongue. Please bear with me.”

Providence nodded, not wanting to interrupt.

“I will tell you the story, my story, our story, as was told to me when I was a calf from my father, and him from his father, and from his father before him, as is our way. The Great Ones -- as I can only translate the essence of the name, not the literal form -- sculpted us from the sands of the Eternal Oasis, the waters are said to have soaked through to become our blood. The vines, our veins, the wood, more precious than anything, our bones. The wood we use are but extensions of our soul; the magic inside us helped form our bond with the natural elements and thus we were gifted with the power of magic. But the magic inside only sustains us and therefore our only recourse is to use our wands, passed down much like our history, from old to young.” He looked at the stave held between his front feet fondly. “The crystal is the reflection of our spirit, it is bound to each and every camel and when we return to the sands that gave us life, our crystals go with us, to help guide us and protect us on our journey.”

“The halos,” Providence whispered, now starting to understand the significance of the light the camels had emitted on the skimmers.

“Correct.”

“These Great Ones…?” Providence began, but wasn’t sure how to proceed.

“Who they were? That is a great and massive question in of itself. I suppose The Great Ones to us are akin to those that birthed your princess.”

Providence nodded. This was a touchy subject to many ponies, who believed that their princess had always been around. She, of course, couldn’t comment on that; for it was far beyond her knowledge. “I understand then, it comes from prehistory, before the princess.”

“Yes. To us, they were camels whose humps were as tall as mountains. To the wolves, a great den-mother who lived on the moon and used the light to come to our world to foster her children and to hunt with them when the moon was full. To ponies, the Lead Mare of the Eternal Herd who foaled the Alicorn Celestia. Many cultures have stories of a similar nature. Whatever the story, one thing is consistent: they were powerful and they helped shape the world as it is today.”

“Creation stories from many mythologies talk about the duality of light and dark. How one cannot exist without the other.”

“Correct. Life and death. Peace and war. Order and disarray. Harmony and chaos. The Great Ones shaped our world with their powerful magic using massive, ancient trees as wands – trees taller than our highest mountains.” He looked at Providence and smiled. “Our mountains are not as impressive as yours.”

At that, the mare chuckled.

“I guess in your stories, your horns would be of similar proportions or examples of power.”

Providence smiled and nodded good naturedly. “Something like that”

“Basically, that is the start of that story, and it is common across almost all of our kind. It differs, sometimes quite elaborately, but there is a prophecy that, by our laws, cannot be changed. A law so old that, to us, breaking that oath would mean death to our clans or even our entire kind. Perhaps a little harsh, perhaps a lie to keep us from changing it, but whatever the case, these words have been the same since the beginning of before our memory.”

“And through word of mouth?”

“Correct. It is forbidden for us to write down these words, be it on walls, carved in stone, papyrus or paper. No matter where you go, if it is camel in origin, the words will always remain the same.” The wise camel smiled. “That rule, however, does not apply to those that are not molded of the sands.”

Taking the hint, Providence picked up a quill with her mouth and spread a few sheets paper in front of her. “Yes?”

“It is a poem, one we are all taught and forced to memorize verbatim. The stories about The Great Ones can differ in many respects, which has sadly led to many of us spilling unnecessary blood over the centuries for pointless reasons – but this one thing must never be changed.”

“Many cultures have that too,” Providence replied starting to get a little annoyed at his going around in circles.

“Ah, but there is one thing that will differ, never change.”

“And that is?”

“A specific individual will cause a change in the very fabric of the world. Change the way our world will continue. One whom will meet the specific… requirements, given by the poem in question.”

“An individual?” Providence asked, starting to feel quite uncomfortable.

“Correct. The camel who was here had whispered a verse from that very poem. That is why we all reacted the way we did. The more that I think about it, the more that I am convinced that you are the one the legends speak of.”

“I’m sorry, but what‽” Providence asked incredulously.

“Yes, even I cannot actually fathom my own words, but as I think about it, I start seeing parallels. I am starting to believe it is true. You must understand that I have lived a very long life and have seen many things come and go. Great things and terrible things. We’re inherently… what is it you ponies say? Superstitious? We are inclined to believe things that, to your kind, would seem ridiculous. But this… this goes beyond coincidence.” Pani sighed. “If you are indeed the one in the stories, then your presence here comes on the eve of everything changing; a truly great and powerful presence. Terrible too, perhaps even moreso than any other in the history of this land. Perhaps, you are even more important than your Princess.”

Providence snorted a laugh. “Right, me more important than the one pony who raises and lowers the sun and moon. Sure.”

There was a pause while Pani stared at Providence. “I understand. As I said, I am struggling to come to terms with it. Still, just because you fill a few main points doesn’t mean that you will fulfill all of them. At least, I hope that you won’t.”

Providence stretched. “Well, let’s hear this poem. It might actually help us find a way out of this maze.”

At that, Pani nodded and cleared his throat and stood up and started pacing in front of Providence. “You understand that my poem is going to be translated from my mother tongue, so it might sound a little strange to you. I hope you will not mind if it doesn’t rhyme?”

“I won’t.”

“Then, if it pleases you, I shall proceed?”

Providence nodded.

“One will come when time is… ripe,
With confusion in the minds of those that follow,
Justifying actions against all that seems right or… logical,
Will those nearby take them as truth or lies?
A test of tenacity shall… happen,
And bring about a cause beyond our understanding,
To declare with all their being, they are here to save themselves,
But will come with a higher standard,
To bend the will of demons,
Lost without guidance in seas of, um... fog?
One will come with an army of necessity,
And with them, Death shall follow with malicious delight,
But one must pass and give up their soul of their own volition,
Else evil and darkness beyond dark shall evermore befall.”

To bend the will of demons,” Providence said in the camel’s native tongue. “The demons he was referencing... he meant the Elites, didn’t he?”

“I believe that is correct. And, in many senses, he is right. You do not understand how dangerous they are.”

“Really? You’re saying that to me?” Providence asked, she didn’t mean to be rude, but she had been face to face with the worst of them. Granted, the red unicorn wasn’t an Elite per se, but he was close enough.

“Forgive my bluntness, dear, but you really don’t. You don’t. You were only there at the very end. Each and every single one of those ponies is a mass murderer. Every single one of them has done unspeakable things. Within my own kind, we have stories of them that will be fuel for night terrors for many generations to come. They are truly demons... and to have them follow you of their own will… and without question is… well, it’s nothing short of incredible.”

Providence looked down. “That’s all very fascinating, but to compare them with demons, creatures that come from below Tartarus? No. I don’t think so. So, no, I don’t think your poem applies to me.”

“I didn’t at first, but there are many parts of it that fit.”

“Such as?”

“‘Lost without guidance in seas of fog’? Fog isn’t the right word either. Clouded, perhaps? Misted? Shadowed? It can mean many things, but I think it applies to the mind being dulled. Something inside that corrupts. That is what our native word means. Does that not match?”

“I guess it does,” Providence replied uncomfortably.

“Quite apt then. Are they not carrying something inside, as are you?” Pani asked as he pointed to the nearest Elites, who all looked up at the two, before he turned his head up to the dark roof. “Their minds are clouded. They do not know who they are, nor from whence they came..”

“M-maybe…” Providence stared at them. Each in turn nodded their heads towards the mare. They were there for her, indeed. “An army of necessity…”

“And to compound it even more, we have Cult-followers.”

“Else evil and darkness beyond dark shall evermore befall…” The pegasus shook her head. “What is darkness beyond dark supposed to mean?”

“Are you afraid of the night?” Pani asked simply.

“No.”

“Darkness is neither good, nor evil; but there are things that hide in it, where we cannot see them, that are evil. Evil can be just as present and prominent in the light of day as it is in the night, but it likes the darkness for a reason.”

“This is all… well, I don’t know. It can’t be me. I am not here for anything great! I’m just here to get my life back, I just want my life back!”

“Many a great villain has said similar words. The ends do not always justify the means. Whether you want to admit it or not, your actions might change everything we’ve ever known. I took liberties with the word ‘logical’. The word in my language means: to do something you know is right, but none else do.”

“That isn’t what logical means,” Providence muttered. “I don’t even know if there is a word in proper Equestrian for that. Obsession? Oh? No!”

Pani nodded. “You do know what that means, I take it. Now you see how this applies to you? The way you are heading, you will make these words come true.”

The mare shuddered.

“Every verse fits you, more or less. And, with war blooming, Death is certain to follow. Many more will die before this day is out, and yet more before the next.”

Providence placed a hoof over her eyes. “I’m just… I just wanna go home…”

“I know. But you won’t stop.”

“I can’t,” Providence whispered. “I can’t do that. Not after coming this far. I have to finish this.”

“One way or another?”

“One way or another.”

Obsession?

“Yes,” Providence replied, barely above a whisper.

“Then you are either going to doom us all, or save us all. Either way, I am with you ‘till the end. It would be a stretch to say that I believe in what you’re doing, but I have always been curious and... open to change. Something that most of my kind are averse to. Although, I think it would be fair to say is common among all races; zebras, giraffes, diamond dogs… and ponies. Despite our short time together, I consider you a very fine friend indeed and if we must die together, then so be it.”

“I don’t want anypony else to die…”

“Everyone dies. Everything passes.” Pani took a sip of water and nodded to himself. He leaned back and closed his eyes. “But that isn’t doesn’t mean it’s the end. I believe that it is just another step to another journey.”

“More?” Providence shook her head and chuckled dryly. “Great.”

“The burden of leadership can be quite the weight to bear,” Pani said with a tone of a sage, “but good company can lighten it to that of a feather.”

“A camel saying?”

“Zebrican, actually.”

“Ah.” Providence nodded and thought about Zecora. She wondered how she was and hoped that she was fine. She had forgotten her, really forgotten her, until that moment. A fond friend she would never remember if she didn’t fix what was happening. “Okay. Let’s hear the rest.”

Pani opened his mouth, but it wasn’t him speaking.

“At the gates of The Temple the door of stone will crumble,
Magic as ancient as ancient is known will awaken from its slumber.
Guardians of old shall speak through voiceless echoes,
They will be heard in the hearts of the unkind and broken,
A test shall commence over the resolve and measure of all,
One shall be committed to eternal rest by their own volition,
A choice born of burden and of guilt, pain, and death,
Others shall shed their shells and, with the blood of the one, will be reborn again,
And after all is quiet and done, the fragments will awaken,
And the world will be rebirthed in an era of peace or an epoch of eternal war.”

Pani turned to the speaker. It was a she-camel who was staring at Providence with a look of wonderment, devotion, and terror.

“Thank you, Mayani. That was… helpful.”

She looked at the elder. “Pani, we cannot be bound to this mare anymore. We are forbidden to interfere with the magics of old. We will pay the ultimate price! Think of your daughter!”

“It is far too late to back away now. If you leave and try to go back home, the ones outside will slaughter you. If we do nothing, we will die. Our only choice is to follow through with our promises. We are all now bound to this thread of fate, and we will play our parts regardless of whether we want to or not. And I, for one, would rather be nowhere else. If we are about to see the world change, I would like to be there to witness it.”

Mayani could only swallow in response.


“Leave her alone!” Rainbow shouted as she stood atop the cloud.

The colt grinned. “Ooh, what ya’ gonna do, Rainbow Crash?”

“Keep making fun of her and find out!”

“You think you’re such a big shot? Why don’t you prove it?”

Rainbow grinned her trademarked smile. She knew that these jokers didn’t stand a sliver of a chance against her. Not her. Not the Rainbow Dash. “Whaddya have in mind?”

“A race! Lunchtime! On the expert track. First one to finish is the best. Loser has to do whatever the winner says.”

“That it?”

The colt blinked. He didn’t expect that. “F-for a month!”

“Oh? You really wanna be my slave for a month?” Rainbow grinned. “Are you sure about that?”

“Who says I’m going to lose, Crash!” The colt walked up the mare and stood in front of her face. “My brother is a Border Guard, you know. And he’s the best!”

Rainbow shrugged and waved a hoof in front of her face. “That so? Then why’s he not a Wonderbolt?”

The colt blinked again, but the expression now changed to anger.

Rainbow grinned. She knew just what to say to get under his skin. “Besides, your brother ain’t gonna race me. You are. And even if he did, I’d still win.”

Hoops growled at that. “I’ll see you at the starting line, Crash!”

“Can’t wait!”

As Hoops and his friend casually flew away, Rainbow looked at Fluttershy. “You okay, Shy-shy?”

“Y-yes. Thank you, Rainbow.”

“Come on, Shy. You can’t let those losers bully you like that!” Rainbow said bluntly, looking down at her friend still lying on the cloud. “They won’t stop until you make them stop. You didn’t even ask them to stop!”

Fluttershy didn’t know what to say to that. “Y-you don’t have to race for me.”

“No, but I want to. Besides, I challenged them. I’m not going to give them the pleasure of calling me a coward because I didn’t show up to beat them.” Rainbow floated upwards in the same direction as the two colts. “Anyway, we gotta go, or we’re gonna be late for class.”

Fluttershy nodded and slowly floated up to Rainbow’s height before falling down half the distance. She beat her wings faster until she was back to Rainbow’s side.

“You gotta work on that,” Rainbow informed in a flat tone. “What are you gonna do if you can’t fly properly?”

Fluttershy frowned. “I’ll try harder.”

At that, Rainbow could only smile and patted her best friend on her head. “You’ll get there, Shy.”


“Excuse me, but do you know the way to room A113?” Twilight asked nervously.

“Are you a prospective student?”

“Y-yes… sir.”

“Let me see your pass please,” the teacher reached with his magic and lifted the small slip to his face and nodded. “This way, Miss... Sparkle. Just follow me.”

Following the unicorn through the school halls made Twilight more and more apprehensive. Everything seemed so intimidating, especially for a filly her stature; it did not help to assuage her fears.

This was it, soon she would be performing her abilities in front of some of the most powerful and gifted unicorns in all of Equestria. There was just so much to consider, too many factors, and it didn’t help that she had to do it alone.

And Shining wasn’t there. She loved her parents very much, but she had inherited their worry-streak, and they were just as excitable as she was when it came to these kinds of situations. Shining always had that calming effect on her and her family. They always felt like they could do anything if he was around. Without her brother by her side, she began to doubt herself more and more.

After all, he was her big brother and best friend. Her Big-Brother-Best-Friend-Forever.

She walked behind the teacher while her parents followed behind her. The tension was palpable from them and she almost wanted to calm them down and let them know that all would be okay, but she couldn’t worry about them. It was her time to shine, and she had prepared so long and so hard for this.

But what if she couldn’t perform?

Again, she wished Shining were there to clear her mind.

Arpeggio stole a glance at the filly. She looked as if she would freak out at any moment. He very much wanted to comfort the young filly, but he had to maintain the professional demeanor. It was something that he had to do. There were too many students there and almost all of them were very competitive… and very powerful. He could not coddle her, that would lead to favoritism and even worse, a feeling of reliance that could not be present, not when the school demanded -- and prided itself on ensuring -- that its students took the initiative and became confident in their magic. Coddling was something which was very much frowned upon.

Not to mention that part of using magic came from the confidence you had to build within yourself, and if he started being kind he might ruin the filly’s chances. Tough love, Professor Inkwell had called it. There was some truth there. It was something that all the faculty had to respect. Those that didn’t found students dropping out, or worse. Magic had its safety mechanisms, but students who pushed themselves sometimes went beyond the safety limits naturally set to them. A painful lesson that all too often had tragic consequences.

But what he read on the paper nearly made him balk in amazement. To have such a young filly go through the egg test was something he could scarcely believe. Inkwell was an excellent judge of character, but a filly that age could scarcely hope to hold a proper bubble around simple objects or turn pages of a book. How was she supposed to surround the egg with her power? It would be impossible.

Wouldn’t it?

PreviousChapters Next