• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 11,679 Views, 767 Comments

Semper Pie - deathtap



Meet Pinkie's long lost (more like forgotten) brother: Semper Pie.

  • ...
40
 767
 11,679

PreviousChapters Next
The Medal

Pinkie opened the door to her own room and jumped into the middle of it striking a pose. "Ta-da!"

"Wow. It's..." Shining didn't know what to say.

"It's what?" the pink mare pressed.

"Um... it's nice... colorful..."

Twilight shook her head at her brother reaction to Pinkie's room. It certainly was colorful, just like Pinkie herself.

"Where do you keep all your mementos, Pinkie?"

"All over the place, Twilight!" Pinkie replied giving her a level look.

"I meant the ones from back home."

"Oh. Over here." Pinkie bounced over to her bed and pulled out a small wooden chest from under it. She opened it gently being careful not to be too rough with it. Inside were neat stacks of various things. Books, clothing, some party memorabilia, and a medal.

Shining's eyes went wide as saw it. "W-w-w-w-w-w-where'd you get that?"

"This? It was given to me," Pinkie replied taking it and hoofing it over to him.

The way the stallion touched it was as if it were made of the most fragile crystal. He gently placed it on the bed and turned it around so that the back faced them.

"For outstanding bravery in the face of overwhelming odds, this symbol of our unyielding appreciation is hereby awarded to First Lieutenant Semper Pie for his acts of heroism and intrepidity during the absence of Harmony and in the face of extreme danger by Her Highness Princess Celestia and the House of Lords..."

"Oh! I... I actually can't remember where I got that." Pinkie smiled guiltily.

"You have the highest military award anypony can get hidden away in a chest in your room!" Shining shook his head. "I've never seen one of these, I mean, I've never touched one of these. I've seen them in the museum and stuff, but to actually be able to hold one..."

"Didn't you get one for the changeling invasion?" Twilight asked.

"Yes... no... not this. I got something like it, I suppose. This medal is only given when both Princess Celestia and the House of Lords agree, which they almost never do! My medal was from Princess Celestia, the Celestial Cross, the highest honor she can bestow. But the House of Lords said that it was my fault that the invasion happened and therefore they could not agree on granting me a medal, otherwise... who knows?"

"What is the highest honor for the House of Lords?" Twilight asked.

"The Order of Equestria, given usually to Border Guards who have done great feats of valor. Very few in the Royal Guard have them. Whisper Winds is one, and Jadeite Lavaliere..."

"Great feats of valor?" Twilight smirked at that.

"It's the definition I got from reading a book, Twily? I do know how to read, just not as into them as you."

"Okay, okay. No need to be so touchy. So what do you get when they, the Princess and the House, both come together and agree?"

"You get the Shield of Harmony. The highest honor our kingdom can grant. Oh, Pinkie, thank you so, so, so, so, so, so much for letting me see this!" Shining hugged her before ogling it some more.

"If you like it so much, you can keep it!"

At that, Shining's mouth dropped to the floor. He shook his head vigorously, unable to fully comprehend what he had just heard. "Y-y-you want me to keep it? You mean to keep safe for you, right?"

"No. Keep it, as in keep it, silly filly."

"B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-bu-b-bu-b-buh-" Shining couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"I don't think Pinkie understands its significance, but now we know that Pinkie should know Semper. Why else would she have such a valuable medal?"

"True. We did find evidence and I would definitely remember if somepony gave this to me. Are you sure that you can't recall, Pinkie?"

Pinkie thought for a moment before shaking her head. "Not a clue. Sorry."

"I give up." Shining sighed and sat on Pinkie's bed heavily. "I don't know what to think. If somepony like Semper can't be remembered by his own sister then what chance do I have? I'll probably be forgotten too..."

"Of course not, BBBFF! I'll make sure to always remember you."

"Thanks,Twily, you're the best sister a brother could hope for," Shining replied patting his sister on her head.

Twilight blushed and looked at Pinkie. "My brother doesn't mean you're a bad sister, Pinkie..."

Her words seemingly fell on deaf ears as Pink was now standing perfectly still, her eyes transfixed on the medal lying reversed on her bed. Her pupils were like tiny pin-pricks and her mouth slowly started to grow wider and wider, a strange expression forming across her lips.

"Pinkie?"

Pinkie backed away from the bed and the medal shaking her head, slowly at first but the speed started picking up quickly until she backed up into the wall. Then she stopped and let out a deafening scream that kept on going until she was out of breath. Then she sucked in more air and screamed again. And again. And again.

"Something is wrong!" Twilight shouted over her friend's screams to her brother. "I'm taking her to the hospital!"

"Twilight wait I-"

But she was already gone.

Putting the Shield of Harmony back into the chest, Shining saw a faded, crumpled piece of paper scrunched up in a ball on the far side near the hinges of the chest. Curious as to why somepony would keep trash in such a place, Shining picked it out and unfolded it. A small gasp escaped his lips as he saw what was on it.

Semper Pie was standing next to a very young, very straight-haired Pinkie, who was standing to his left with a bright smile on her face. She had her head turned slightly so that her focus was not on the camera, but on the stallion next to her, and next to him on the other side was a practically newborn foal sticking his or her head out of a basket, another filly stood next to the basket and next to her was an older mare and stallion. Shining could only assume those were the parents.

This was Semper's family.

He straightened out the picture and gently placed it on top of the medal before closing the lid and pushing it under the bed whence it came.

"What the hay is going on here?" he muttered as he walked out the door closing it behind him.

PreviousChapters Next