• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 11,667 Views, 767 Comments

Semper Pie - deathtap



Meet Pinkie's long lost (more like forgotten) brother: Semper Pie.

  • ...
40
 767
 11,667

PreviousChapters Next
The Recipient

Spike and Twilight Sparkle stared at Shining Armor with their eyes wide open in shock, amazement and awe. They could not believe what they had just heard. For a long moment none of them spoke. Neither of them could not find the right words; their minds and imaginations completely overwhelmed by the tale. How a pony could achieve so much with no magic or the ability to fly humbled them.

Finally, it was Spike that broke the silence. "He really did that? Wow."

"Yeah. Wow. And that's not all he did. There are times when even I can't believe the stories I've heard. But you know, sometimes the stories- er, sorry, reports, are told in a way that is a very dulled down version of what really happened. If it were not for witnesses, and I'm not just talking about Guards neither, then we'd never know the real Semper. I think it adds to his legend."

"That's incredible! I just can't believe it. It doesn't seem possible that one pony could do something so great," Twilight said and shook her head with a dry laugh. "Are you sure that he's related to Pinkie? I mean, don't take me wrong, but it just sounds like they're so different."

Shining shrugged, "I know that it doesn't seem possible, and I'm still not convinced. But you have to ask, why else would he write a letter to her personally?"

"Uh... have you, y'know, read the contents?" Twilight looked at her brother, raising her eyebrow.

He looked at her with a shocked expression and held the letter aloft, "You're kidding, right? There's no way I'd do that. Look, the seal isn't broken. Please, Twily, don't tempt me. I know you're as curious as I am, but when we give it to Pinkie she can tell us what it says."

Twilight nodded, "You're right. Sorry, Shiny. It's just, after that story with the ursa, you've opened my eyes to a whole new part of our kingdom that I haven't really looked at. I had no idea our borders were so fraught with peril."

"'Fraught with peril?' Really?"

"Hey, I like how it sounds, okay? Anyway, let's go. I'm sure Pinkie'll be done with the breakfast rush by now." Twilight got up from the table, "And to be honest, I'm more than just curious about this. I know Pinkie has three sisters, but she never mentioned she had a big brother. I kinda find that strange. She's always so open about herself."

Shining stood up as well, "Well, then let's find out together. I'm sure she has a good reason for not mentioning him, although I don't know what that could be. I mean, you weren't very forthcoming about me to your friends either, right?"

"That's different. I never brought you up because I never thought I needed to."

"And there's your best explanation," Shining replied, giving his younger sister a knowing smile.

Twilight rolled her eyes at him. The three of them (Twilight, Shining and Spike), followed by Twilight's two personal guard, exited the library and the entourage headed towards Sugarcube Corner. Everypony along the way greeted Twilight with a slight respectful bow of their heads -- something that she had insisted on instead of a fully fledged one that was given to the Royal Sisters. Some of the mares had a friendly wave for her guards. In a town so full of mares, having a small group of handsome stallions brought a lot of single mares to the library, not the Twilight really minded. She only wished that her friends took as much interest in books as they did in boys.

Upon arrival at the bakery, the two guards jogged ahead and held the door open for their new royal princess. She thanked them with a smile, as did Shining with a stern nod. Spike ignored them completely, still a little annoyed that they were always around. After all, Twilight didn't need silly guards to protect her when she had her Number One assistant. Still, the guards did keep Spike company whenever Twilight was busy with royal work.

"Heya, Pinkie!" Twilight said.

"Hi, Twilight! Hi, Spike! Ooh! Hi, Twilight's Big-Brother-Best-Friend-Forever!" Pinkie bounced over to him, "How's Princess Cadence? Is she happy? Is she fine? Is she getting enough to eat? Is she blushing as always?"

"Whoa there, Pinkie! Yeah, she's fine. Thanks for asking," Shining laughed at Pinkie's energetic greeting. "By the way, I have a letter just for you."

"Just for me? Really? Who's it from? Who? Who? Is it an invitation to a party? Ooh! Is it a surprise party for somepony else? Is it a surprise party just for me? No, that'd be silly, to invite me like this to my own surprise party -- unless it was a surprise party to make me think it wasn't a surprise party so that if I go to the surprise party then I'll be surprised! Or maybe it's a surprise party-"

Twilight shushed her friend with a hoof in her mouth. "Just take the letter and see."

Shining revealed the envelope to her and she snatched it out of his hooves and looked at it. She tilted her head at an angle and shrugged, obviously not recognizing the importance of the red wax seal on it. She pulled out the letter from inside and looked at it. Then she turned it over and looked at the back, then flipped it over again.

"Um... Shining," Pinkie began.

"Yes?"

She turned around, the letter open in between her hooves, "Who's Semper? Why does he have the same last name as I do? And why does he want to see me?"

Twilight, Spike, Shining, and the two guards all fell over where they stood in shock. That was something they had not expected at all.

PreviousChapters Next