• Published 30th Aug 2021
  • 3,081 Views, 196 Comments

Pokémon Journey - A Trainer & His Adventure in Equestria - NinjaMare



how does a Pokémon trainer and his team handle in being a parallel world? will follow Matt and his team in his new journey of mis-adventures

  • ...
12
 196
 3,081

Chapter 17: Know Your Target

To say that Thorax was nervous would be an understatement. In fact, it would be more correct to say that the changeling is downright terrified! Not because of the mission that was given to him, but more so in failing it somehow and then having to face queen Chrysalis’s wrath, all the while being unable to rely on his brother to do anything to help him. Even thinking about his brother was further adding onto the changelings anxiety and fears, as while Pharynx is not as strict or harsh on him as others, but even though Thorax fails any missions, or even the simplest of assignments Pharynx still sticks by him and try to support him. Yet the only thing that Thorax thinks that he does is just bring down his brother with his failures. But not this time! This time Thorax was determined to accomplish his mission, and show that he can be a useful member of the Hive, and be somepony that his brother could be proud of.

“Now then where is this Matt creature?” Thorax asked himself as he made his way to Ponyville, after being told by the infiltrators in the castle, the changeling was now on the search for his target.

As Thorax was closing in on the town a loud, very loud, rumbling and roar echoed throughout the air, scaring the daylights out of the changeling. Looking around to find the source of the sound Thorax couldn’t initially see anything. But after another deep heavy rumbling and roar, the changeling looked out to the vast fields outside of the town, and that’s when he saw something strange. Large plumes of smoke and gouts of fire could be seen, but what really startled the changeling was seeing what looked like a massive pillar of steam just erupt from the ground. naturally the timid changeling was scared about what was going on, however his curiosity of what’s causing the rumblings, the roaring, and the strange fiery activities outweighed his fears. Making his way to the fields Thorax kept his eyes trained on the section of the field where the strange occurrences were happening, and as he got closer he was able to see what was causing it all.

Within the field Thorax could see a small group of creatures clustered up, yet the changeling was more focused on what the group was also looking at, a fight between two other creatures. One of which looked like a rather hefty bovine creature with two rocky stumps on its back, while the other creature looked like a blue dragon with a bright red head. both of whom were clashing and slamming into each other, with bovine charging head on, while the dragon tried to hold it back with its claws. Flying down to the ground, staying way out of the sight of any of the creatures, Thorax snuck as close as he felt comfortable before transforming into a bush and continued to watch the fight. Which nearly caused the changeling to drop his disguise when the bovine creatures hump bellowed out fire and smoke before charging at the dragon, who charged back and slammed right into it cause a resounding ‘boom’ to echo through the fields.

‘Wow! They’re really going at it.’ Thorax thought as the fighting continued as he then looked to the group, and amongst the gathered creatures the changeling found his target, standing taller than most of the of the other creatures and the two ponies.

‘So that’s Matt? I can’t believe that he actually defeated queen Chrysalis.’ Another clash brough Thorax’s attention back to the fighting creatures, and it seems that the bovine was getting the upper hoof as it knocked the dragon over.

‘But why are they watching these two fight? I thought ponies were supposed to be peaceful, so why are those two just—.’

“Alright you two I think that’s enough sparing for the time being.” The tall creature, Matt, said aloud which the bovine and dragon stopped right away and made their way over to the target, who started to check over the pair.

“Good. Neither of you seemed to have banged each other up to badly, rest up for now guys.”

“Actually I think it’s a good time to take a break from the sparing.” The cream coated pegasi said as she pulled out a basket from behind her.

“Sounds like a good idea, and this is a good time to try out my latest batch of Pokémon food.” The tall creature started as he walked over to where a backpack was and started to rummage through it.

As the creature dug around in the backpack, and the pegasus and violet unicorn started to set up a picnic blanket, with the help of a little purple dragon, Thorax took cautious steps to sneak closer and closer to the group to not only get a better look but hear them better. Though the changeling had to stop as every now and then would one of those creatures, more so the bipedal wolf and weasel, would glance towards his direction. The weasel especially looked like it seemed to know that Thorax was posing as a bush, which made the changeling sweat profusely but luckily the weasel didn’t do anything. Once the changeling felt it was safe to continue his approach, Thorax snuck up to the group till he was just twenty or so feet away from the group who were now in the process of eating, except for Matt who was passing out small cups of what looked like kibble to the creatures.

“This is the latest batch of food I made using stuff from town guys, give it a try and if you don’t like it that’s fine.” Thorax then watched as each of the creatures quickly ate the small amount of food from the cups, and it seems that they all like it as they all hummed in delight.

“It looks like they like it Matt.” The little dragonling said before biting into a green gem.

“I’m just lucky that all the foods you guys have here is pretty much the same back home.” Matt said as he started to fill out larger eating bowls and filling them with the food.

“Speaking of which I also made these for you guys.” The changeling then watched as Matt pulled out a small box and showed that it had what looked like colorful balls, yet at the sight of those balls the creatures aside from the dragon got visibly excited.

‘What are those things?’

“What are those Matt?” the unicorn asked, voicing the same question that the changeling was just thinking.

“These are Poképuffs. There like special treats stuffed with fruits and other fillings, their meant to be a treat…though someone keeps trying to hoover up all of them when I make them.” the target turned to look at the multi-tailed fox creature who turned to look away and looked very bashful.

‘Well he seems like a nice creature.’ Thorax thought to himself as he watched the target pass out the Poképuffs which were virtually ate in one bite. The only one that didn’t immediately devour the treat was the blue drag, as it seemed confused before taking a small bite, but after that small bite it ate the whole thing in one bite.

‘I still can’t believe that he managed to beat queen Chrysalis, I mean based on his looks he doesn’t look that tough to beat. Pharynx looks like he can beat him in a fight.’ Thorax internally said as he continued to watch the group eat their food and talked amongst themselves.

~~the Group~~

Today has been a rather productive day so far. Matt has been able to make some Pokémon food that his team actually likes from ingredients that the ponies had, and was able to replicate the recipes for not only the food, but also for the Poképuffs. And that they turned out alright for his team. Aside from the food Matt was also quite happy to see that Druddigon was getting along with the rest of the team, and that the others were accepting him very well. The training and sparring also helped in letting the group learn what he could do, and allow Matt to figure out how to best train him to be the best Pokémon he can, and help him learn how to interact with others.

“—so Matt after you finished your classes at school and the course for becoming a trainer, did you just leave your home afterwards? I mean leaving to go on a Pokémon journey when your ten sounds a little unrealistic.” Twilight said after taking a sip of her drink.

“Well normally that’s how it’s done back in the day, but in recent years—thankfully—people have been making those who want to be trainers take special classes, and courses to ensure you know how to handle yourself on your own, basic survival, self-defense and other skills, and how to handle and interact with wild Pokémon.” Matt explained to the mare before taking a bite out of a tomato sandwich.

“Also learning how to cook for yourself is a BIG help.”

“The more I hear you talk about your home, and how things there work, the more that I want to go and visit it.” Twilight pondered aloud as works on eating her salad.

“It maybe a bit difficult for you Twilight.” Matt retorted before continuing.

“You might be mistaken for a Pokémon so lots of people would try and catch you, including Pokémon hunters that would catch you and then sell you off.” The unicorn shivered at that last notion, but the whole stance of being mistaken for a Pokémon and having people chase after her sounded quite dangerous. As the group continued to eat Matt turned to look at Fluttershy who looked a little less apprehensive then she did moments ago.

“How are you feeling Fluttershy?” Matt asked the pegasus who was nursing her cup of lemonade.

“I’m feeling…alright.” The pegasus replied sounding slightly unsure.

“I know you still like the idea of Pokémon fighting each other, but this is normal not just for us, but for all Pokémon. They fight to defend themselves, to get stronger, and reach new evolutions.”

“I know.” the mare said as she took a very small sip of her drink.

“I just have to remind myself that creatures can defend themselves and fight if need be, but…after taking care of animals for most of my life I have this mentality to baby and take care of them.”

“That’s understandable. A lot of folks are like that back home, trying to protect Pokémon thinking that they are unable to do so themselves.” Matt said as he reached over and started to pet Mienshao on the head, getting a happy murmuring from the martial arts Pokémon.

While the group continued to talk and eat their lunch Matt answered more questions from the ponies and Spike, Spike especially loved hearing about the different dragon-type Pokémon, while Twilight and Fluttershy were still interested in how things back in Matt’s world still worked. Aside from the details of his world, Matt also shared more stories about his adventures and how met his team, as well as the friends he’s met along the way. But while the trainer & his friends were talking, he noticed something strange about Mienshao, which was that the martial arts Pokémon would occasionally look off to one side of the field, like she was looking for something.

“Something got your attention Mienshao?” Matt asked the weasel Pokémon who didn’t respond right away before turning to the trainer before shrugging.

“Well I think its about time that we headed back to town, I still have to finish organizing the library.” Twilight said as she started to pack up the picnic supplies with Fluttershy’s help.

“And I need to start heading to Sugar Cube Corner. I promised Pinkie Pie that I’d helped out today.” Spike said as he handed over the last of the cups and plates to Twilight.

“What about you Matt?” Fluttershy asked as she looked over to Matt as he gathered up the bowls and Pokémon food container and placed them back into his backpack.

“I’ll probably stay out here for a bit more. We still need to train up a little, and I need to get in some practice as well.” Matt responded as he started taking his jacket off and placed it beside the backpack, and got his staff ready for combat training.

~~Thorax~~

After the ponies and dragonling had packed everything up they started to leave the human and his Pokémon to train, and this sounded like a very opportunity to really study the human. If Thorax is able to learn how he and his band of creatures fight, he can take that knowledge back to the queen and tell her, which should not only allow the queen to have strategy when facing him. But also allow Thorax to finally show the queen that he is useful. When the ponies and dragon finally left, Thorax watched from his disguised position as the human and his creatures got ready to spar, with the human readying the staff he pulled out from a sheath on his waist while his Pokémon surrounded him.

Several moments later the Pokémon all rushed the human, who dodged each of their tackles with surprising speed and agility, even dodging the larger dragons claws and tail, and the flying rock things charge. Though when it came to the weasel and wolf Matt countered their paw strikes with his staff, and used his legs and arms to try and knock them back or trip them, but the weasel effortlessly dodged the attacks as it was just as nimble. However the wolf didn’t bother dodging and just tanked the hits and countered attacked in response, and when the sea horse jumped in the human leapt away to get some space. Unfortunately the human was knocked over when the large bovine slammed its massive body into Matt sending him skidding across the ground, but the tall being was able to get back on his feet and was quick to dodge another charge from the bovine, however the human wasn’t able to dodge the next attack which came from the white fox that charged at him and kicked him back. Yet the human was able to recover quickly and lashed out with his staff to knock the fox away, and quickly bat the dragon a few times as it tried to strike at the human again.

‘Wow! Even against seven targets he’s managing to hold his own and fight back.’

Thorax thought as he watched his target leap over the rock head creature and kicked the back of it to launch himself further over to the weasel creature and started dueling with it for a bit before both backed off from each other.

“Alright guys now try using your moves.”

‘Moves? What does he mean by—’

Just then the changeling watched as the sea horse launched a powerful stream of water from its snout, startling the changeling so much that he nearly broke his disguise! The human was able to roll out of the way of the blast of water which soared past him and struck the dragon in the face, which the dragon didn’t seem to like and launched a barrage of fire back at the sea horse who canceled the attack out with another burst of water. At first Thorax thought that there would be a fight between the two creatures, but the human seemed to have managed to calm the dragon down just in time before anything serious could happen. Once everything seemed to have settled down between the dragon and the sea horse the group got back to training.

‘It’s impressive that he was able to calm down a dragon like that so easily.’ Thorax thought to himself as watched the sparing match continue on with the creatures using more and more of what appeared to be elemental powers.

‘So far it seems that this Matt creature doesn’t have any kind of powers or magic of his own, the only thing that he seems to have going for him is his speed and agility and his martial skills. While the Pokémon he has have their strength, speed, and their powers.’

While Thorax monitors and studies his target the changeling started to wonder how the queen would tackle this foe, as he seems to be more able bodied and more combat practice than all the other foes that the queen has went against. Some time passed by and after watching the human and Pokémon spar, the group eventually stopped and called it quiets for today but before they headed back to town the human checked the party for any serious injuries. Afterward checking the Pokémon Thorax watched as the human used what looked like sphere to absorb them, which startled the changeling as he wondered if he could do that to other creatures and that scared him, so much so that he caused his bush disguise to rattle. Which caught the weasel creatures attention and caused it to approach him.

‘OH SHOOT!’ Thorax thought as the creature stood before him and started to rustle through his disguises leaves.

“Mienshao. What’s wrong?” the human asked as he approached the bush and the weasel, who looked back at Matt and seemed unsure.

“Is something in the bush?”

The changeling was internally panic as the human knelt down to look more closely at the changelings disguise that he thought that he was going to break it and reveal himself. Thankfully though the human and Mienshao left the changeling alone and made their way back to town. When the pair were gone Thorax shifted back to his original form and was panting heavily due to his panicked state.

“I thought I was going to give myself away!” the changeling took a moment to calm himself down before standing up.

“Maybe next—no! Definitely next time I’m using a transformation that won’t make me have a heart attack and a chance to get myself caught.” The changeling said as he took to the air and looked to where the town was and made his way to, after he turned himself into a bird, to keep track of his target and continue with his mission.