• Published 9th Aug 2021
  • 7,509 Views, 528 Comments

Twilight Sparkle the Dragon - PlutoMilo



What if Twilight was the dragon and Spike was the pony? What would happen with Nightmare Moon? Discord? The Crystal Empire?

  • ...
16
 528
 7,509

Copper is Unhinged

As the days passed Twilight poured over every page within the notebook, whether it be attached to the spine or not. The spell Celestia wanted them to complete wasn’t part of any other notes. The incantation was scrawled on a page all by itself like it was a special afterthought that Starswirl resolved to come back to but never got the chance.

From one to another, another to one. A mark of one's destiny singled out alone, fulfilled. When Twilight picked apart the spell itself, the resulting simulation that floated in the air above her head made even less sense than it had in the beginning. It looked vaguely familiar like she’d seen it before, but she was unsure where.

She did a quick sketch of the simulation and mailed it to Steelwing, getting an irate letter back, scolding her for not sending it at a more convenient time.

It was in the middle of the night when it occurred to Twilight where she’d seen a pattern that looked the same as the simulation. Her blankets fluttered through the air from how forceful she got up. Carefully warding Spike’s door to form a sound barrier, Twilight did a mad dash for her reference books, easily pulling the correct one.

It was a book that Celestia probably wouldn’t want her reading, but what she didn’t know wouldn’t hurt her. Half an hour later, two simulations floated above Twilight’s head. The magenta glow bathed the basement floor like a nightlight.

Twilight triple-checked her work and sat down numbly. When the idea first popped into her head during the day, she’d brushed it off. But this, this proved it. Starswirl the Bearded, Equestria’s most renowned mage, known for pushing the boundaries of magic itself, wrote a ritual spell to make the caster immortal.

The book Twilight held in her unfeeling claws was one of Sacrificial Rituals. The simulations winked lazily at her, Starswirl’s following the same paths as the Life for Energy ritual. There were, of course, minor deviations, but the base spell was the Life for Energy ritual.

Looking closer, it looked like the lives that would be given would be the Element Bearers. They would give their lives, willingly or unwillingly to raise Magic to untold power. If she were to cast this, five ponies, her friends, would- No she wouldn’t go there. She needed a second opinion.


The moment the sun peeked over the horizon, Twilight was off, winging it as fast as she dared to Canterlot. She’d left a note for Spike, but hopefully, she wouldn’t be gone that long.

She burst through the library doors so hard, they rebounded and sent dust trickling down from the ceiling. Steelwing squawked in surprise and slipped from her dozing position on a desk. Twilight could see the beginnings of a lecture, but to her surprise, Steelwing remained silent.

She wasted no time and immediately conjured the simulations, disregarding the way her chest heaved with exertion, “This spell could probably destroy the world. Either Starswirl didn’t know what he was doing, or we’re better off with him buried from history,”

Steelwing’s eyes blew wide and she stumbled a little before roving over the simulations with an expert eye.

“Oh Celestia,” Steelwing breathed after a moment, “We must inform the Princess right away. This research cannot continue without dire consequences,”

Right as they turned to leave, Copper burst through looking positively elated, “This spell could save the world! We must cast it immediately! Starswirl the Bearded was a genius!”

In her surprise, Twilight’s simulations winked out of existence.

“Copper, no. This spell will not end well,” Twilight cautioned, knowing her words were falling on deaf ears.

Every muscle in her body tensed when Copper, in the middle of the library no less, began gathering energy to cast the spell. She lost feeling in her paws as all her blood rushed to her muscles.

“Professor Copper!” Steelwing shrieked.

Twilight bowled the frail unicorn over, but it was too late, the energy snapped and the spell finished. Either Copper already knew how to cast the Life for Energy ritual and already set up the proper energy reserves, or it was sheer dumb luck.

There was a moment of silence as everyone took stock of the situation. To Twilight, it felt like she’d just crashed through one of Pinky Pie’s experimental ‘cake-bricks’.

“So you have any idea what you’ve just done?!” Twilight roared, shaking more dust from the ceiling, “You’ve damned five ponies to Purgatory! My friends! Gone! The Element Bearers, GONE!” her voice cracked and hitched into a partial sob on the last word.

Twilight’s head spun. Nausea bubbled in her stomach and bile crept up her throat. Her breathing grew ragged and tears began to blur her vision. She was aware of someone crying, but the feeling of someone excavating her chest cavity prevented her from knowing just who. Her limbs shook and the back of her head tingled unpleasantly. A scream built up in the back of her throat. This wasn’t happening. It was impossible.

“I’ve done it! I will be the next alicorn ruler of Equestria!” Copper screamed so joyfully it was nearly hysterical, uncaring of the comatose dragon hovering above him, “By the moon, I’ve done it!”

Twilight stumbled back and mumbled, “Gotta check. Gotta check,”

Steelwing didn’t even have a chance to put a comforting hoof on the dragon’s leg before she dove out the nearest window, showering the hallway with broken glass.


If someone asked Twilight how she managed to get back to Ponyville, she wouldn’t have been able to tell. Her next memory was seeing Rarity standing all by herself on a bridge. Twilight just about crash-landed to hug her. She was alive, the spell didn’t work. She was alive!

“Oh goodness, darling! Is everything alright?” Rarity’s muffled voice asked.

The utter confusion in Rarity’s voice was so profound that fresh tears leaked out of her already bloodshot eyes.

“Yea-huh,” Twilight could barely form a coherent response in her relief, “Ev’thin fine,”

Gently, Twilight set Rarity back on the ground and the unicorn flashed her a bemused smile, “Not that I’m not happy to see you too, Twilight, but are you sure you’re alright?”

“Fine, better than fine actually. It’s a long story,” Twilight sighed, wiping away the last of her tears.

“I’m sure we can discuss this during tea?” Twilight chuckled at the subtle dismissal.

“‘Course, sorry about that,”

“None of that darling. Never apologize if it was something so small as this,” Rarity smiled gently, “I really must get back to work now. I look forward to your tale, Twilight,”

When the unicorn turned, Twilight blew out a breath she hadn’t known she was holding and she began to walk back to the library. She was getting too old to deal with this amount of stress. Anger flashed through her as she took off back to Canterlot. Copper had a lot of explaining to do. Savagely, Twilight hoped he would be jailed for his stunt.