• Published 9th Aug 2021
  • 7,456 Views, 525 Comments

Twilight Sparkle the Dragon - PlutoMilo



What if Twilight was the dragon and Spike was the pony? What would happen with Nightmare Moon? Discord? The Crystal Empire?

  • ...
15
 525
 7,456

The Notebook (Does not Explode)

It was one in the morning and the moon was high in the sky, bathing Twilight’s room with its rays. The only sound that could be heard was the rustling of the leafy ceiling. The dragon snored softly on the floor, smoke puffing out every so often out of her nose, and an open fire flickered on the floor next to her, contained within wards.

The tranquility was abruptly shattered when one of the books on the shelves above her head started to buzz. Immediately, purple-slitted eyes blinked into existence and stared rather blankly at the buzzing and glowing book. The frayed gold edges pulsated with the tell-tail glow of Magic. After the book buzzed three more times, each time with more insistency, Twilight sprang up in a panic.

Her vision went white and her paws nearly gave out from how quickly she tried to run to the book. Blankets flew into the air and Twilight sat back down heavily, shaking her head in an attempt to make the dizziness go away. Staggering to her paws again, Twilight dove forward in time to catch the book as it trembled and fell from the shelf. She landed with a thud.

As she held the glowing book in her claws, splayed out on the floor, she blinked again as her brain worked a mile a minute. She cracked her head on her side-table as she got up and she let out a muffled curse as her spines grafted themselves to several of her blankets. She stumbled blurry-eyed down the stairs, trailing blankets, and finally, she managed to get herself into the basement and slam the door closed.

Tiredly shoving on her safety glasses, Twilight peeled back the first page of the book, wholly expecting something to happen. Twilight prematurely flinched back. The book stopped vibrating, but a page nearer to the middle of the journal still rhythmically glowed. She sighed and almost lit her horns to turn the lights on. She stopped short just in time. She did not want to be cleaning up shattered lightbulbs on top of everything. She was simply too tired to concentrate properly.

After successfully turning on the lights, Twilight carefully observed each of the entries. They dated back almost forty years. They told of a young unicorn filly writing to their mother in the beginning. But as the time between each entry grew longer, the warmth and expected tone of the writing turned more professional. ‘Mom’ transformed into ‘Princess’. ‘Your Daughter’ turned into ‘Your Student’.

Twilight knew what this book was. The number of wards and runes weaved into it should’ve been clue enough. Breathing deeply through her nose, Twilight shook off the last dredges of sleep and finally flipped to the glowing page.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I know it has been years since I wrote you, but I need your help. I’ve made a home here and it’s really nice. I have friends, can you imagine? I have an apartment that I pay for all by myself. I have a job and interesting coworkers. They’re the friends I was talking about. My job is a school counselor. I talk with all the kids that need help. Sometimes I’ll even fill in for teachers that can’t find a substitute in time. Is this why you decided to take students, Princess? To see how their eyes light up when they finally understand something? To be proud of them when their hard work pays off? I’m rambling, sorry. It’s really early and I haven’t had my coffee yet.

Back to the point. There are three new students in the school and they remind me of the Sirens. It’s been too many years since I’ve read about them and this world is hopeless with things like this. These three students have wonderful voices, but anytime they sing, everyone around them starts to fight. I’m sorry to bother you, but there’s no other way for me to find out if my hunch is right. I’ve come to care for this world and I don’t want any Equestrian Magic to come and muck this all up.

Your former student, Sunset Shimmer

Former Student of the Sun

Twilight dragged a paw down her face and sighed unhappily. Guilt stirred when she realized that these words weren’t for her and grimaced when she picked up a quill and slid her inkwell closer.

Hello Miss Shimmer. Unfortunately, Celestia is no longer ‘Princess’ and very recently Princess Luna cleared out all of Celestia’s old things. This journal is in my possession now. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Head Archmage Twilight Sparkle of House Sparkle and a former Student of the Sun.

Twilight didn’t get to write anything else since more writing appeared beneath. The words were decidedly more scrawled and they appeared at an alarming speed.

Oh, thank God. Ok, I can just treat this like a texting thing now. Hi Archmage Sparkle, as you’ve seen I have a little predicament and need a little help.

Twilight released a breath and thanked the stars that Shimmer didn’t become angry. In fact, Shimmer actually seemed relieved if anything.

Certainly, Miss Shimmer.

Ok, so these kids are a little freaky. I talked to one of them but she was very closed off. I’m not sure if they’re actually achieving anything with their singing. My magic was stripped from me when I went through the portal.

Twilight redipped her quill.

I can pull some reference books, but it is around two in the morning here. Can this wait until the morning?

Twilight chuckled at the reply.

Oh shit, sorry. This can wait, thanks for helping me so far. Us Students of the Sun gotta stick together am I right?

Technically former Students. I graduated a year ago. I’m sorry I can’t stay and chat for longer, my eyes are about to close and I have work tomorrow as well. I’ll pull the books for you as quickly as I can in the morning.

All Twilight got back was a hand (without claws for some reason), drawn in an ‘ok’ symbol. She didn’t think anything of it. Leaving the book open for the ink to dry, Twilight tottered back into her room and was asleep before her head was fully tucked into her wings.


In the morning, as Twilight was pouring her tea and plating the pancakes, she realized that Sunset Shimmer didn’t exactly sound upset or torn up about the fact that Celestia wasn’t the one that answered her message. After Spike left for school and Twilight finished washing the dishes, she pulled the reference book as requested.

Walking back down into the basement, she became aware of the fact that the journal was once again glowing. Flipping to the correct page, she came across several scrawled messages.

Hey, it’s been 12 hours already. You there?

Day 2 of waiting here. Did you forget?

I’m honestly about to give up here. Please, please see this.

Fascinated, Twilight wrote back.

Hello Miss Shimmer. I assure you that I just finished breakfast. The sun has just been risen.

Within a few seconds, a new reply was scrawled onto the paper.

Oh God, don’t tell me we have to deal with a time difference too!

Unfortunately, it does look like that, Miss Shimmer. I have the reference book ready for any questions you might have.

Twilight almost heard the sigh Sunset must’ve let out.

Just anything important about the Sirens, please. I want to know what I’m working against.

Certainly, one moment.

Twilight flipped through the pages and began to take notes, putting it in bullets to make it easier. Twilight finished about an hour later.

So Star Swirl the Bearded banished them here of all places? Sunset complained.

Amused, Twilight wrote back. Well it’s not like he had the Elements of Harmony to turn them to stone. Perhaps those three were drawn to the school by the portal. That’s Equestrian Magic is it not?

Sunset’s next message appeared so quickly, Twilight wondered if her quill had a special refill feature.

Holy crap, what if they’re trying to come back? We need to stop them right?

Frowning, Twilight thought about it. There’s a guard schedule around the mirror. Nothing goes in or out.

What good will that do if they sing their way out of the situation???

Twilight sighed when the familiar urge to save and protect welled up beneath her scales.

Logically thinking, if they showed up yesterday on my end, then the portal should be open for two more days here. So a week or so for you. Twilight wrote. I suppose I can come through to see what I can do.

For a full minute, Sunset didn’t write back. You’re asking a lot for a school counselor to hang out by the school statue for God knows how long.

Twilight hummed, tapping the end of her quill against her chin. We wait until night? That will give me a few hours to come up with something.

Alright. I’ll text when I’m ready. Leave the book in Equestria, don’t know what will happen if both come over. Don’t want the magic dying.

Twilight agreed and threw her quill down. She dragged another sheet of paper near her and scrawled a note to Spike. As much as he wanted to leave school for two days, Twilight wouldn’t allow it. She sent another letter to Fluttershy, asking for her to pop in once a day to check on Spike. With all that taken care of. Twilight sighed and prepared to teleport to Canterlot.

As she packed her bags, she face-palmed. She forgot to ask why Sunset Shimmer knew what a hand was.

Author's Note:

I'm just loving y'all's speculations about Twilight. I already have some of this Arc outlined (depends if school is liberal or not with hw tho), this is goin' to be fun!