• Published 21st May 2021
  • 961 Views, 66 Comments

Rising From Avarice, Gaining New Friends - KingReptarAlmighty



Post-Secret of My Excess, Spike runs off from Ponyville, trying to distance himself from the Ponies who he could have hurt. The real question, is how did he end up thinking the Changeling Hive was any better?

  • ...
2
 66
 961

Chapter 1: The Satyr

The rain fell as heavily as the tears streaming down Spike’s face as he sobbed, trying to reign in his tears so he could finally get some sleep. He’d been here for nearly an hour, and what had started out as wails had subsided to quiet sputtering, his eyes having gone red from crying for so long. If he’d been at home, the Golden Oaks, he’d be sleeping like a baby, but he wasn’t home. He wasn’t even sure he could call that place home anymore. This was ten times, no, fifty times worse then when Owlicious had showed up, this wasn’t just jealousy, he’d done something horrible, for real. Thinking about it made the lump in his throat jump and renewed his sobbing, right as it was subsiding, but it came to an end even quicker this time, in the end turning to nothing but heavy, gasping breaths and tears streaming down his face. In the end he simply laid down on the cold grass, trying to force his brain to shut down so he could finally have a moment of peace, so he could get some sleep and keep moving in the morning. Whether it be his brain finally giving in, or an unseen Luna taking pity on the tired, miserable dragon, but he finally fell asleep.

At least he was blessed enough to not have dreams.


He groaned as he woke, and he opened his eyes to the same dirt road he’d fallen asleep aside. Maybe it was the crying, or just the situation hitting him in full force, but Spike woke up exhausted, not even wanting to move an inch from his sleeping position under the tree. He layed in the grass, eyes half lidded, but awake, and he stared at the ground next to him, watching a band of ants trailing along to their anthill. He flinched as he felt a ladybug of all things land on his nose. He stared at it angrily, and given the reason he was out here, he felt it was well deserved. A twist of good birthday luck spurred on an instinct that he didn’t even know he had and a power that he didn’t even know he had turned his happy birthday and the next few days into the worst bad luck he’d ever experienced.

And if this ladybug was meant to represent good luck like ponies said it did, he really could’ve used it two days ago.

Still, his anger crumbled to pieces at a thought that he’d shied away from, because he wanted to believe more than anything that it wasn’t true, he had every reason to think it wasn’t true, but still, it cropped up, like an annoyingly persistent weed that the farmer of his field of thoughts had to tend to and yank up every few minutes.

Even if he hadn’t known this would happen, he could’ve stopped it. He could’ve stopped taking things, stopped trying to build a hoard and now what? He didn’t and he was paying the price for greed. What was the word Twilight used? Avarice. It was Avarice he’d had, and now he was paying the price.

It was all his fault, and he was stuck with the results.


Twilight stood over him, her face somewhere between utter vexation and bitter disappointment. He kicked at the ground like he tended to when he felt guilty or ashamed, and he avoided her eyes, hoping to not have to see that those emotions were directed at him.

“Honestly, I have never been this disappointed in you, Spike.”

He closed himself off, like he was trying to protect himself from a predator, he tried to get out an apology, but she cut him off before he even got the chance to speak.

“Look at me, Spike.” He looked up at her, cringing at her expression. She sighed, and pointed all around them. “Do you see this? Do you see how much damage you caused? You dragged Rarity around like a trophy, broke a water tower, destroyed the market, and smashed up half the town! We’d struggle to rebuild half of this in any reasonable amount of time, not to mention the rain that’s supposed to be coming soon, that the pegasi can’t postpone because they already missed the last one, and look at me when I’m talking please!” He snapped back to looking at her, and given any other situation he would’ve questioned the point of pointing if she didn’t want him to look.

“I’m really sorry. I don’t even know what happened, I barely remember anything from after my birthday!” She gaped at him, like he’d said something terrible, and he took a step back.

“You don’t even know how you caused all this!? You did all of this and you don’t even know how? Ugh…” She shook her head and walked off, trying to calm down. “I need to go write Princess Celestia. She can help fix this.”

“I can help-”

“No.” Her tone of voice was so firm that Spike stopped in his tracks, stunned. “I want you to think about what happened here.” She kept walking, and Spike didn’t follow. He sat down on the edge of the crater shaped like a giant version of his foot, And he stared at the dirt there, trying to stop the tears from welling up in his eyes.

And then she said the words that might have broken him.

“Equestrian scientists said dragons were so haunted by their own avarice they’d stop at nothing to acquire more of everything, even if they didn’t need it. You saw it for yourself, and this still happened. How did you turn out so… so… this.” He whipped around, and stared at her retreating silhouette, his ears just barely catching the last of her words. “I thought that I had done a good job raising you.”


He couldn’t stop them anymore, and he clamped his hands over his mouth, trying to stop himself from sobbing out loud. He hopped up and ran as fast as he could, neglecting to bring anything from food to even just a blanket in his haste to get as far away from Ponyville as possible.


Eventually Spike managed to drag himself up and started on trying to find something to eat, or anywhere besides under a tree to sleep. He screwed up his eyes, trying to remember the wilderness survival book he’d read a few days ago.

The one Twilight had gotten him.

For his birthday…

He sighed, and shook his head, trying not to let his own sadness consume him again. He wasn’t going to waste another day crying, he couldn’t afford to. Twilight was probably looking for him, and he really didn’t want to be found. As he trudged along the muddy dirt path, he thought about the things he’d seen for founding food.

“Okay, white, yellow, and green are bad, and rub it on your skin first if you aren’t sure.” He wasn’t sure if it’d work with scales, but also, he could digest gems, so he had little to worry about to begin with. He just really hated the feeling of being sick. Eventually, he happened upon a stream., and there he came in contact with an unfamiliar sight. A goat-like creature, standing on its hind legs, distinctly tall and lanky, and covered in pristine white fur, except on it’s torso, where brown skin was seen beneath the long coat it was wearing. Spike didn’t make any moves to approach, but he did observe as the creature rolled up its sleeves, and placed flowers in the water from a pile at his side. The flowers opened up as they were placed in the water, and the creature smiled at the sight. Eventually, he dusted himself off and stood up, and before Spike could get out of his line of sight, the creature spotted him, and hiked it’s coat up to make it’s way across the stream.

When he made it across, Spike became well aware of their difference in height, and marveled at the creature that might have stood at Celestia’s height. Still, it wasn’t attacking him, and he was willing to admit that he was a little desperate for a positive social interaction. The creature sat down, now low enough to look Spike in the face.

“Hello, young dragon out all by yourself. Is there a momma or daddy dragon I should be waiting for, or are you here alone?” Spike sheepishly waved, but shook his head.

“Oh, I’m alone. I kind of ran away from my friends…” The creature raised an eyebrow at him.

“Well that’s no fun. What’d they do to make you run?”

“It wasn’t them. It was my fault.” The creature looked like he didn’t believe him, but he didn’t press it further. Spike was happy about that, he wasn’t sure he’d be able to tell him without crying. The creature scratched it’s chin.

“Well, if you ran away, and it’s this early in the morning, you probably ran away last night, meaning that you probably haven’t eaten in like 12 hours. Based on your size, I’d guess you’re around 13, but even then you still need to eat around twice your bodyweight a day to grow, so I’d assume you’re-” Spike’s stomach gurgled before he could even finish talking. “-Pretty hungry. Dragons are big eaters, so it was pretty easy to make that guess. That said, it’s right around breakfast, so if you want to eat, I’m making.” Twilight had warned him about strangers, but he was hungry, and tired, and honestly didn’t care. He nodded, but the creature didn’t start walking in any particular direction, looking between the trees like he was trying to decide the best one. When he noticed Spike looking confused, he hissed.

“Oh boy, I’m already off. Well, that’s one today. I forgot to explain that to you. Alright, so , I’m a satyr. That means nature magic is my big deal, and we don’t build our homes out of trees,” He stood up, and walked over to the nearest tree. He tapped the bark, and the cracks in the wood seemed to fill with a mysterious glow, the light was soft, but bright, and Spike’s jaw dropped as he witnessed the unfamiliar magic. “We live in them. Now, it’s best if you get as close as possible and focus on the light. If you don’t get close enough you’ll probably just smack your forehead on the tree.”

Spike walked up to the tree, and took another look at the Satyr, who nodded encouragingly. He allowed himself to get as close as possible without his nose bumping into the tree, and focused in on the light streaming through the cracks in the bark, seeing what looked like a room inside. He pitched forward, and he came up standing in a room, looking something like a combination living area and dining bar. The floor was, to his surprise, carpeted, and the walls were a beautiful finished oak, making it look much more like he’d walked into a house than a tree. The Satyr came in behind him, and went straight to work, assessing the contents of his fridge, before pulling out a mound of various ingredients and herbs. He moved with a purpose, turning the pile of vegetables and fruits into a number of large plates of food. Spike sat at the bar, watching as he moved, when something dawned on him.

“Excuse me, I don’t know your name.” The satyr paused, before springing right back, throwing the last of the meal, a few fried eggs, on a plate to avoid them burning.

“Ugh, two today. In any case-” The satyr grabbed himself a plate full of a bit of everything, leaving the vast majority of the food to Spike, who nearly went into a fit of hysterics at the sight of it all. This was how much he was supposed to be eating at meals? No wonder he was so small. “My name is Kipkirui. You can call me Kip, or Kirui, or the full thing. It doesn’t bother me much. I’m seventeen. Nice to formally meet you.”

“Well, my name is Spike. It’s nice to meet you too. I’m actually sixteen, by the way.” An expression flashed briefly on Kip’s face, but Spike didn’t catch what it was.

The two ate rather quickly, and while Spike finished a ridiculous amount of food in the same time it took Kipkirui to finish his significantly smaller plate, Kipkirui, upon finishing, got up and got himself a glass of water, waiting until Spike finished eating. Spike stacked the plates neatly as he finished, not wanting to leave a big mess. He was a guest after all. Outside of that, he felt absolutely buzzed with energy, and for the first time… well, ever really, he felt completely satisfied. It suddenly dawned on him that he probably had been undereating his whole life. No wonder Kip thought he was only 14. He briefly considered that he would probably be a lot taller if he kept eating like this, but that line of thinking was interrupted by Kip speaking up.

“Alright, I can handle those plates later. For now, do you have somewhere you need to be? I have the time to join you if you’d like.” Spike shook his head, already grabbing the plates.

“No, I don’t have anywhere to go right now. I can handle the dishes, I am the guest in your house after all.” Kip stopped him by grabbing the stack out of his hands.

“Typically the host is the one that cleans. If you’re really that worried about leaving a mess, I’m giving you full permission to sit down while I handle these. Otherwise, we can leave them here, and work out where you want to go, either until you find a place to stay and set up a hoard,” Spike discreetly shivered at the thought. He didn’t want a repeat of the past few days. “Or, until you find someone to stay with. There’s a few roaming dragons around here that wouldn’t mind taking you with. Or even if you just wanted to stay here, that’s fine too. I can’t say I’m the best roommate, I stay up late, and I’m either very organized or pretty messy, no inbetween.” Sounded like Twilight. “But, if you’re willing to stay, I’m willing to have you.” Spike thought it over. He always thought living by himself would be pretty cool, but he really didn’t want to go out and start a hoard or something. If it was anything like last time, he would start hoarding random objects, and then start stealing. And meeting other dragons was something he always wanted, but he liked the idea of having a home. Somewhere to sit down and rest. Being a roamer didn’t seem like something he’d enjoy. Honestly, staying with Kip didn’t seem half bad. He was used to Kip’s habits from living with Twilight, and the Satyr knew more about dragons than he did.

“Are you really sure you’d be fine with me staying here?” Kip nodded, and Spike smiled. “Then yeah, I’d like to stay with you!”

“Well then, let me show you around. My house isn’t exactly huge, but it’s big enough for maybe 3 people, so it might not be easy to get lost, but there’s also a few specialty rooms that you might want to have a look at.”


Wow, okay, that’s a problem.

He’d had two ‘skips’ today, and he hadn’t even had the most important one. The kid was massively underweight and undersized. He was a whole 3 years older than Kipkirui had thought he was, and that was a problem that Kipkirui had not anticipated. That said, at least he knew now.

He stood up from his chair, and stretched. He’d definitely have to show Spike the botany room and the Observatory, but probably not the sanctuary. That’d be a little overwhelming.

“Alright, so there’s this floor, which is just the general living space.” He pointed out the bookshelves, telling Spike to ask first if he wanted to borrow anything, and the desk, saying that he could go over there, but to try not to mess with the crystals. When questioned about the crystals, he went into a bit more detail about their creation:

“See, the crystals themselves are just amethysts, but there’s this little floaty light spell that you can use which makes them weightless, and they glow.” He grabbed one out of the desk drawer, an old topaz that he didn’t really need, and quickly cast the spell, his horns glowing with what mostly appeared as a bluish-purple plasma, which was quickly reabsorbed upon the completion of the spell. The Topaz glowed a dull orange, and he passed it to Spike, who simply let it float over his open hands like it was the coolest thing he’d ever seen. “They’re fun to have around, and they glow different colors depending on the gem. Diamonds are really cool, they have like a weird rainbow thing that happens. Next time I go gem hunting I’ll see if I can find one.”

“Awesome…” Spike’s next question was about what he called the “weird flat stone” by the couches.

“Oh, that is the Pictolith. See, Satyrs like figuring out spells that work with the natural world rather than transforming it too much. It’s made of this kind of glassy rock that works really well for transmitting magic, so it’s enchanted to play a bunch of shows and things made by satyrs and creatures that work with satyrs. Mostly because who has the time to constantly go see plays?”

“How has no one else come up with this!?”

“Satyrs are secretive, but I wouldn’t guess that most races are far behind. Ponies already have projectors and radios, this is probably the next step. C’mon, you can try that out later, for now, let’s go see the upstairs.”

Author's Note:

Definitely better than the original. Rhel's name has been changed, as I found that I liked the new name better. That said, I'm also gonna be attempting to forge a realer connection between him and Spike in this one. If you know a decent about JJBA, think of this as the Steel Ball Run to the original's Phantom Blood.