• Published 21st May 2021
  • 960 Views, 66 Comments

Rising From Avarice, Gaining New Friends - KingReptarAlmighty



Post-Secret of My Excess, Spike runs off from Ponyville, trying to distance himself from the Ponies who he could have hurt. The real question, is how did he end up thinking the Changeling Hive was any better?

  • ...
2
 66
 960

Ch. 7: Jupiter Optimus Maximus

“So… I just touch the podium.”

The podium in question was a beautifully carved stone pillar, likely marble, with various letters Spike didn’t recognize etched into the sides of the base, leading into an intricate swirl pattern that eventually went from one solid piece to multiple floating pieces, likely sustained by magic. It positively radiated power, and Spike felt like there was a weak repulsion field, something keeping him from touching it if he tried without actually putting his weight behind it. It was beautiful, it was powerful…

And it was absolutely gods damned terrifying.

“Yep. You should be careful not to touch the runes on the base, that’ll turn you into a conductor for the magic, and while that won’t exactly hurt, residual magic usually leaves your mouth tasting like you’ve been licking copper for the past few days.” Spike felt saliva well up in his mouth in a semi-sympathetic reaction. He swallowed, somehow feeling both a mild sense of existential dread and overwhelming peace. His body wasn’t reacting to his fear at all, it was just kind of… there.

“Alright.” Spike reached out a claw, and the moment his palm made contact with the swirl of the podium, it felt like he’d been sent careening down a river, getting tossed around and scraped against the edges of an invisible barrier that held the current in place. He tried to open his eyes, but he might as well have kept them shut for all the good it did to see surroundings moving so fast he couldn’t begin to make sense of. He felt himself rush through several different locations, one like the familiar heat of fire, one bearing the cold darkness of the underground, a few that felt like meadows or fields, even one the felt like being underwater. He lingered in some for longer than he did others, but eventually he came to a hard stop, perfectly deposited on his feet as he opened his eyes.

He found that he was standing on a cloud.

<hr>

Jupiter had to fight for this one.

It was simple. A pure hearted dragon with an absurd amount of innate magical potential and a willingness to learn. Even Ares wanted him, something Jupiter and nearly every other god was not comfortable with.

Ares might not actively work to incite war, but he certainly incites conflict, and that is <i>not</i> something the world needs more of at this moment.

The dragon landed on his cloud, and Jupiter was quick to gather his bolt and approach.

He did not expect the young dragon to scream at him.

<hr>

Spike slammed his hands over his mouth, looking at the clear visage of the Dragon he’d seen multiple times over while looking through the book. This was Jupiter. He was too stunned to even move as the god sank into sitting down on the floor, legs crossed. He seemed…

Way too dad-like to be a god.

The image depiction of him wasn’t inaccurate, it was just too sharp. Jupiter looked, for want of a simpler term, kind. He had a strong jaw, but it was more on the round side, and while visibly muscular, he wasn’t all sharp angles and hard muscle. He really just felt like your average neighborhood dad. Or a chill ranch farmer, like Big Mac.

“Hello.” It was really all Spike could think to say. He wasn’t quite sure how you address a god. It’s the type of thing people don’t exactly teach you. Jupiter simply held out a claw and shook his, smiling.

“Hello. I have a feeling that you already know who I am. I can’t say that I’ve been watching you directly, but I did have to make my case for you to show up here instead of in any of the other deities’ domains.”

“...Other gods wanted to talk to me?”

“Most of them. Excluding Artemis, nothing personal, she only ever accepts female Clients, so you wouldn’t have ended up there, and Hestia, because she doesn’t take Clients. Ever. There were a large number of minor gods too, but they don’t have the kind of pull we do, so you’d have to actively seek them out in your free time.” Spike’s mouth had fallen slightly agape at the news, and Jupiter chuckled. “Now, it’s time to discuss what you’re here for. Most Dragons take on the patronage of Hephestus or Notus. We are creatures of fire, it’s in our nature. But I’d like to make you a rare offer. You will be one of my Clients, an agent of the skies and thunder. Now, that means emulating my duties in the mortal realm.”

Spike felt, and probably looked positively awestruck. He managed to blink himself out of it, asking: “Well, what are your duties?”

“Among the gods, as king I work to ensure fairness among my fellows and protection of the living world. My job is to protect, and to make liars and the deceitful be honest before their fate so that they may make peace with it. I am the keeper of oaths, protector, and the least exciting, patron of the market.” The last one had a bit of mirth to it. “In short, you will act as a shield for the common man, placing yourself firmly in their aid. Do you think you can handle that?”

This could not have been more perfect.

“Of course! Helping people is what I love most! Even when I’m not the best at it, I’m still glad to try! This is perfect, it’s what I love to do!” Jupiter gave a soft smile, and rose to his full height, grabbing the bolt that he’d sat down, and holding out the handle to Spike.

“Then, I officially take note of you as a protege and client of myself, Jupiter. Take hold, and it’ll become your new reality.” Spike hesitantly grabbed hold of the handle of the javelin, and Jupiter let go, allowing Spike to carry the full weight on his own. Despite being absurdly large for the small dragon, he somehow managed to hold it confidently, and he even smiled, holding it above his head like a symbol of victory.

And suddenly, it was like he was being pulled back up the same way he’d came. But something about it felt more controlled, like he was moving with the current instead of simply ragdolling through it.

He opened his eyes, which were suddenly seeing much higher up on the podium. He whirled around, and looked at Kipkirui, who seemed shorter.

No, he was definitely taller. Spike looked over himself, and felt a wave of confusion as he saw that he’d shifted into some new, much larger body. He wasn’t overly muscular, but he was strong. It was sort of how Rainbow Dash had said fliers were built. They needed to be lean because size increased drag, but they needed to be muscular in order to generate the proper strength necessary to turn and twist and do tricks in the air.

He also had wings.

And not just regular wings, huge wings. So huge that they seemed nearly disproportionate. It was when he folded them that he considered them being magical in nature, because they seemed much smaller than they would naturally fold when he folded them up. It was… odd.

“So… I’m guessing it’s a god having something to do with the sky…”

“...Yes…” His voice even sounded different. Kipkirui started pacing around him.

“Let’s see here… Lean build, so it’s probably not Notus. Your scales haven’t gone white, so it’s probably not Boreas. Eurus likes shifting patterns, and your scales are uniform, and Zephyrus is as much a nature god as a wind god, and I’m not getting the vibe that I usually get from nature gods…”

“Do you want a hint?” Kipkirui nodded. “Storms.”

“Well, I already guessed Eurus so-” And just as quickly as he started guessing again, Kipkirui whipped his head around. “No way.”

Without even thinking about it, Spike raised his claw and electricity crackled between his fingertips as the smell of ozone filled the air. “Way.”

“Jupiter himself… that hasn’t happened in years…” Kipkirui seemed awestruck. Not even, flabbergasted was the better word. “You need to be on the lookout for the next storm. Jupiter is notorious for giving gifts to his followers during storms. And because you’re a new protege…”

Somehow, the distant boom of thunder penetrated the layered pocket dimensions, ringing through the Forest of Hope. Kipkirui gave Spike a split second glance before sprinting up and out, Spike in tow as the two raced outside the tree, looking as the downpour formed above them, with no help from pegasi.

Distantly, in Ponyville, ponies complained as the sky turned dark with no one’s influence, and families scrambled indoors as thunder boomed and lightning flashed. Twilight and her friends looked in the vague direction that they’d last encountered Kipkirui and Spike, and saw as a lone lightning bolt struck mere minutes away from where they’d seen them last.

And in front of Spike and Kipkirui, a tree was struck, splitting in two as a lone piece of wood remained, carved divinely from the two broken halves, and forming the distinct shape of a wooden staff, topped with a lone piece of shimmering tanzanite.

Author's Note:

It's good to get this story moving again. Now, I only showed Jupiter, but pretty much ever greek god you can think of exists in my version of Equestria, so if you want to see what one looks like, shoot me a message on my tumblr and I might draw them up for you. Aside from that, I'mma fuck witchyall.

Leave a comment, tell me if you would've chosen a different god for Spike. He's planned to have a second patron, so I might switch up my plans a little if you give me a good reason.