• Published 13th Sep 2012
  • 4,510 Views, 147 Comments

Ponyville-class - totallynotabrony



Equestria's got a brand new ship, but what dark secret is behind it?

  • ...
8
 147
 4,510

Chapter 10

The destroyer had been experiencing more and more problems. First with the electronics, and then with other things as well. The engines were responding strangely and several other pieces of equipment head experienced malfunctions. It was an incredible relief to pull into Yokosuka Harbor.

Commander Delgado observed as the ship laid out its anchor chain. As soon as things were secure, he left the bridge feeling somewhat ill. Worryingly, he knew that in the past few hours other men had complained of sickness.

A harbor ferry boat had come alongside with about three dozen ponies in it, most of them unicorns. Shining Armor met them. “All right everypony, get aboard. We’ve got a lot to do and it needs to happen as soon as possible.”

Most members of the group were civilians from the Royal Magic Institute. The rest were the security detail Shining had requested. He gave them all a brief on the situation.

“Why are we doing this again?” asked Solar Flare, the lead researcher from RMI.

“Princess Celestia wants to help,” Shining replied.

“What is Equestria getting out of it?” pressed Solar.

Shining gave him a look. “I don’t know, but ponies and people have already died over this. I should think that preventing more of that would be reward enough.”

Solar nodded to his team and led them below deck without another word. The officer of the military unit, Lieutenant Gumdrop, asked, “What do you want us to do, sir?”

“Stand by for now. If there’s a problem, we’ll need your help.” Shining nodded to him and departed to find Delgado. They would need to work together to make sure there was nothing that would hold either the sailors or the ponies back from completing their joint mission: saving the ship.

The Equestrian Army detail set up on the helicopter deck to wait. A couple of Navy men were there, either smoking or merely relaxing and taking in the sight of the city across the water. As international military members often did, the two groups found some common ground and soon had a lively conversation going. Information, jokes, and stories were traded. For a while, it was easy to forget the catastrophic events that had brought them together.

In Canterlot, the Equestrian Secretary of the Navy reclined at his desk, hooves folded behind his head. From a telephone in front of him, a voice asked, “Mr. Seas, are you there?”

Calm Seas leaned forward. “Yeah, I was just thinking for a moment.”

The man on the other end of the line, the United States Secretary of the Navy, sounded annoyed. “I hope I wasn’t interrupting anything.”

“No, not really. It was kind of a silly idea that you probably wouldn’t be interested in.” The pony leaned back again, letting the speakerphone do its thing.

After a moment, the man sighed. “Let’s hear it. We haven’t been able to come up with anything else in this conversation.”

“Well, you were thinking of getting rid of that ship soon, right?” said Calm Seas. “I don’t know extensive the magical cleanup will need to be, but it’s pretty clear we’re more qualified to handle that. Why don’t you just give us the ship and let us take care of it?”

There was a pause. In a different tone of voice than before, the man said, “It’s a very interesting idea. I personally would have no problem with you taking care of the ship. We can’t just give it to you, though. It’s still a perfectly serviceable vessel, and Equestria isn’t poor.”

The stallion winced. The Americans had a strange sense of what things were worth. They supplied billions in foreign aid, but wouldn’t let one old ship go. To get the funds, he’d have to go talk to Celestia.

Balancing that, however, was the fact that it was a really great ship, or so Calm Seas had been told. The Equestrian Navy owned a few man-made vessels. This one—Cushing, was it?—had missiles! If there was an opportunity to grab a really sweet new ship for cheap, he wanted credit for authorizing it.

"All right Mr. Seas, I'll talk to my people and you talk to your ponies. We'll come up with a figure, and you tell us if you want to pay that."

"Sure." A sudden thought occured to the pony about the size of the ship versus the size of the dimensional doorways. He wanted to ask if it would fit through, but decided that the Secretary probably wouldn't know technical details like that. He would wait until later.

The call was disconnected. Calm Seas sighed and reluctantly began dialing Princess Celestia's number.

The Japanese Police were good at their jobs, but they certainly weren’t US Navy SEALs. Custody of the prisoners from the fishing boat had only just been turned over when fighting broke out.

The detainees were not armed, and in fact the unicorns had been hobbled by magical suppressors provided by the Equestrians. Several police officers were injured though, and a few attackers were shot. Order was restored fairly quickly, but it took several hours for things to settle out enough to take another roll call. Four names were missing: River, Island Breeze, Star Show, and Smith.