• Published 13th Sep 2012
  • 4,510 Views, 147 Comments

Ponyville-class - totallynotabrony



Equestria's got a brand new ship, but what dark secret is behind it?

  • ...
8
 147
 4,510

Chapter 9

“That’s right, we need magical containment, Spellbreakers, a security team wouldn’t hurt…” Shining had finally gotten something to eat to make up for his skipped lunch, but now he was missing sleep. In the hours since the takedown of the fishing boat, the frantic activity had continued.

Dealing with the prisoners was the least of their worries. When the full situation had been realized, a C-130 loaded with SEAL paratroopers hadn’t been long in coming. They had swept the boat and rounded up all hostiles. Shining was told a tug was on the way to bring in the disabled vessel.

Cushing had stayed for security and would leave as soon as the tug showed up. All those aboard were worried about the mysterious magical object buried in the destroyer’s keel.

Meanwhile, Shining was on the phone. Equestrian assets were mostly on the other side of the dimensional doorway and would take a while to mobilize. His task was made more difficult by the communications equipment. For whatever reason, it seemed to be developing more and more static.

“Sorry sir, didn’t catch that,” said the voice on the other end.

Shining drew back a hoof to smack the radio console in anger, but resisted. It might make the stupid thing stop working completely.

“The destroyer’s going to go back to Yokosuka,” the stallion said. “It’s not far. The Japanese have already been informed about the situation, and they told us that we are not tying up to the pier. Can’t blame them. There’s no telling what this thing is capable of.”

He was about to go on talking about preparations to anchor out in the harbor, but there was no response from the radio. Shining regretted not hitting it. Heturned to a sailor. “Can you fix this thing?”

“It’s some kind of interference, sir. Could be atmospheric.” The man glanced up. “Could be magic.”

Great, thought Shining. He went topside. The tug had arrived, and Cushing was maneuvering to depart the area. The sun had almost set, and night was coming on. He decided to go see what Commander Delgado was up to.

In his stateroom, the senior officer aboard the destroyer sipped coffee and listened to his chief engineer describe a recurring problem. “It’s strange sir, we keep having breakers trip. We reduced the electrical load, and that helped, but it seems to be a traveling problem. Every system is affected differently.”

The Commanding Officer nodded. “Very well. Do your best, and keep me informed.”

The unicorn, Giga Watt, came in, looking at Shining and Delgado. “Good, you’re both here. I really need to speak to you. There’s good news and bad news.”

“Go ahead,” said Delgado.

“The good news is that the Nightmare is not aboard.”

“You’re sure?” said Shining.

“Believe me, I was very careful in coming to that conclusion,” said Giga.

Shining nodded, but then frowned. “Where did it go?”

Giga threw up his hooves, upset. “I don’t know! I tried to track it, but the trail faded quickly. You might get some better ponies out here, but by then all the evidence will probably be gone.”

Shining knew that magical remnants often disappeared quickly. “I’ve got some some Spellbreakers on the way. You don’t have a single hint where the Nightmare might have escaped to?”

The other stallion sighed. “No, not a one. Outer space, for all I know.”

“Is that the bad news?” asked Delgado.

“Um, no.” Giga took a breath. “The Nightmare may not be here, but that…thing down in the bilge is still pretty serious. It’s not a personality or a consciousness, it just sort of is. There’s still a lot of magic there, though, and I think it might have a self-preservation instinct.”

“Is it going to attack us if we mess with it?” Delgado had read a little about magic, but had never heard about anything like this.

“It might,” said Giga. “We can’t just leave it there, though. I think it has a spreading tendency and might be technology-adaptive.”

“What’s that mean?” asked the man.

The unicorn looked at him. “Picture this: your warship gains an evil sentience and learns how to fire cruise missiles all by itself.”

The three of them were silent for a moment. Finally, Shining asked, “What are our options?”

“We might be able to set up some kind of containment on it,” suggested Giga.

“Like a force field?” asked Delgado.

“Something like that.” Giga paused. “Or…we could scuttle the ship.”

Delgado jerked back as if slapped. “No. Not while I’m in command. Besides, what if it doesn’t want to sink?”

As if agreeing with him, the overhead lights flickered just a little.

By this point it was becoming clear to Princess Celestia that something big was happening. Shining sounded worried, and communication from him had been abruptly cut off. She didn’t want to overreact, but…

The phone rang. Celestia lifted the receiver to her ear. “What is it?”

“Princess, it’s a call from the American President.”

“Put him on.” Celestia was reminded of an old human joke. How do you know you’re living in an action movie? The phone rings. It’s the President.

The conversation got right to the point. “Do you have any idea what’s going on in the Pacific?”

“I could ask you the same thing. I’ve temporarily lost contact with the ponies out there.” Celestia hoped it was temporary.

“Princess, I understand that this is the kind of thing you have more experience with, but I don’t recall asking for help.”

“Begging your pardon, Mr. President, but I didn’t think you were adequately protecting my little ponies.”

“What am I supposed to do?” he demanded. “The ships are adapted to shield from from nuclear, biological, and chemical attacks, but that doesn’t cover magic!”

“Then it’s a good thing that I have teams of experts headed out there,” Celestia told him. “I think you’ll agree that this needs to be resolved quickly.”

“We have a couple of options,” said the man. “The ship was about to be decommissioned, so destroying won't cost us much.”

“Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.” The conversation appeared to be over, so Celestia said goodbye.

Instead of putting down the phone, she dialed the communications center. “Has there been any more contact from Shining Armor?”

“No, Princess, we’re still working to establish communications.”

Celestia put the phone down, worried.