• Published 16th Jul 2021
  • 2,710 Views, 248 Comments

A Completely Normal School Board Meeting - Mouse-Deer



How did Sunset not get expelled, anyway?

  • ...
4
 248
 2,710

The Alternate Principal

Princess Celestia trotted up the throne room’s marble dais and sat down in front of the Canterlot High School Board of Education. “I have not been completely honest with you all,” she said, “and I apologize for deceiving you.”

The Board looked on in shock as where was once the principal of their school now stood a god-like alicorn.

“Ah knew it,” said Granny Smith. “I’ve known our Celestia for many years, and I don’t think she coulda wrangled Discord like you did.”

“Yes,” Celestia admitted, “Discord forced me to come to your world on short notice, so I did not exactly have time to blend in.”

“Wait, if you’re here . . . “ wondered Fancy Pants aloud, “then where’s the real Celestia?”

“W-what did you do to my Auntie?” Blueblood exclaimed, pointing a finger at the princess.

“Your Celestia is safe, Blueblood,” Celestia responded quickly. “I would not bring any harm to her. I can promise you that.”

Discord cringed a little. “Yeah, she’s fine . . .” he muttered off to the side.

Discord,” Celestia warned, “if you did something bad to the other Celestia, this whole agreement is off.”

The draconequus scratched the back of his head with a claw. “No, no, I didn’t do anything bad to her, really. She’s fast asleep right now, and will wake up feeling like a million bucks. At least, if I remember to untie her, haha . . .” he chuckled nervously.

Celestia turned on him. “Untie her? I recall asking you to send her on a beach getaway.”

“She is at the beach!” Discord defended. “The beach is just . . . in her head. No harm, no foul.”

The princess sighed. “The only limit on your magic is imagination, and you still chose to tie her up?”

“Sometimes the simplest solution is the most chaotic,” he rebuked. Celestia’s expression didn’t lighten up any.

“This alters our agreement, and not in your favor,” Celestia said coldly. “We’re going to have a talk about this later.”

“Oh, fine,” Discord rolled his eyes and snapped his claw. “There, she’s untied and teleported to the finest hotel in Maui. I’ll teleport her back tomorrow morning before she realizes what’s going on.”

“Sorry, just, hold on for a second,” said Shining Armor. “How long have you been pretending to be Celestia?”

“I arrived here with Discord shortly before the start of your meeting, although I have been working throughout the past week on making sure this situation is kept under wraps. I assure you that I never intended to interfere with your deliberations beyond placing Discord in the room. He was not supposed to be quite so . . . imposing, so I unfortunately needed to step in. And once again, I apologize for that.”

“Hey!” said Discord, “I’m putting in a lot of work over here!”

“But not on my terms,” she responded disappointedly, “and that was the most important part of our agreement. I’m going to have to take away a few more of your acres.”

Discord deflated like a balloon. “Oh, that’s not fair!”

“This is what happens, Discord, when your actions have consequences.”

“Phooey.”

Filthy Rich raised a hand. “Sorry, but, you’re taking some of Discord’s what now?”

“Discord and I have an arrangement—” she emphasized the word while staring the draconequus down, “—that I give him several acres of uninhabited Equestrian land for personal use anytime he wishes to help me with some of Equestria’s affairs. Those acres are his reward for helping me today, so long as he is on good behavior.”

“I have my own dimension and all, but it just isn’t as fun to play by my lonesome,” Discord whined.

“Enough of this,” said Blueblood. “What gives you the right to interfere with our business? You should stick to your own world; clearly there’s enough for you to meddle in there.”

“You’re right,” said Celestia, “But I only want what is best for all of my citizens. And that includes Sunset Shimmer, whichever world she finds herself in. I hope you can understand why I felt the need to do this, nephew.”

“Oh, no no no,” Blueblood said quickly, “You can’t call me nephew. Just as you’re not my Auntie. I won’t even entertain that notion.”

“I apologize,” said Celestia. “It’s just a force of habit.”

“So what’s really going on between you and Sunset, Your Highness?” Shining asked. “Was what Discord told us true?”

“Most of it, I’m sure,” although Celestia’s smile stayed eternally serene, her eyes appeared to soften as she thought back on the mare. “Sunset was a former pupil of mine. I had initially trained her with a specific future in mind, but by the time I realized she was not the right mare for the role, Sunset had already let it get to her head. I . . . did not handle Sunset very well. I did not want to admit it at the time, but I failed her.”

“So everything that happened with Sunset is your mess, then?” asked Blueblood. He paused, rubbing his chin in thought, and a small smirk rose onto his face. “Would you be willing to claim responsibility for Sunset’s actions, as her guardian?”

“Are you trying to entrap me?” the princess remarked, her mouth twitching up in a grin. “I claim as much responsibility for creating your issue as I do for ending your issue. I was the one who directed Princess Twilight to stop Sunset from taking her fury any farther, after all.”

“It still sounds like you might owe us for some damages,” Filthy Rich quickly added.

“If you’re worried about paying for the construction, that will not be an issue. But that is a separate topic. For now, I implore you all to give Sunset another chance. Let her stay in Canterlot High so she can learn the things I failed to teach her.”

“And how exactly would our high school be any better at helping her than you were?” asked Fancy Pants. “If what you say is true, then she is clearly beyond our help. And I don’t think I need to go into the specifics on how her presence will, ahem, affect our students.”

“Sunset does not need CHS because it’s going to be easy,” Celestia rebutted, “She needs it to interact with people, socially and emotionally, even if she has a bad reputation. I encouraged her to do these things as her mentor, but she would not listen. I chose to take a stern stance on it, but that was a mistake: it only opened a rift between the two of us. I had hoped that she would eventually sort herself out, with or without my intervention.”

“But she was a stubborn kid, I reckon?” asked Granny.

“Of course. Anytime we had a disagreement, she would double down. I had to intervene eventually, and remove her from my mentorship. That was when she ran to your world, and enacted a plan for revenge. Once again, I am truly sorry for getting all of you and your school wrapped up in my mess, and I understand I am asking you all a lot.” Celestia returned to her throne and sat down upon it. “If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.”

“I have one,” said Filthy. “It’s the same one that I asked Princess Twilight, but she evaded it. How do you expect us to get around the policy, here?”

“I don’t,” she said curtly.

Filthy paused. “I . . . I’m sorry, could you repeat that?”

Celestia chuckled slightly. “I understand that this is going to come across as a bit absurd coming from me, but I ask that you seriously consider it. Even if your policy says you must expel her, I am asking you to forgo following the policy and consider this situation too atypical to apply as a standard case.”

“I’m sorry, your highness, but we cannot do that,” said Filthy Rich, somewhat apologetically. “Unless you plan on revealing yourself and your country to our world, this is not an atypical case in the eyes of the school system and public. We’re operating on different terms, here.”

Blueblood nodded in agreement. “There’s just no way around it, and this board has enough on its plate in regards to regaining respect within the community.” He turned to the other three members, not even bothering to glance at Discord. “Wouldn’t you all agree?

Granny Smith snorted. “I’ve been helpin’ out at CHS for as long as I can remember, and I can promise you this ain’t the first time we’ve had some leeway on the policy. It doesn’t affect me none to let her stay—she’s practically almost out of the school anyway.”

Shining Armor shrugged. “Like I said before, there are other ways to enforce punishment that don’t require total expulsion.”

Blueblood sighed in disappointment at the two. “You’re lucky we’re in the presence of royalty, because I have only a small sliver of my decorum left.”

“Ah think you’re past that point, Blueblood,” Granny retorted.

Choosing to ignore her, the president turned to Fancy Pants. “And how about you, Vice President?”

Fancy Pants, never the one for confrontation, nodded in agreement. “Yes Blueblood, giving Sunset Shimmer a pass would delegitimize us in the eyes of the school and the community. Unless there’s a valid, legally-explainable reason, we cannot bluff ourselves out of this one.”

“Are you sure?” said Princess Celestia.

Fancy Pants looked up at her and furrowed his brow. “Um . . . yes? Why?”

“Oh, well, it’s just,” Celestia glanced out the window into the afternoon sun, “I figured the counterpart of Fancy Pants held himself to a higher standard of kindness than that.”

“How do you mean?” asked Fancy, the insult seemingly flying over his head.

“Well, the Fancy Pants in our world is one of Equestria’s most influential philanthropists. Has Discord taken the time to tell all of you about your alternate selves here in Equestria?”

“Oh, I briefly skimmed through it,” Discord said nonchalantly. “If you want to tell them, be my guest.”

Celestia smiled. “Is there anypony that would like to hear?”

Fancy Pants turned to the others. “It could be interesting. I’d like to hear it.” Granny, Shining, and Filthy nodded in allowance, and Discord flashed a mischievous grin.

“She’s trying to suck you in, Fancy,” said Blueblood. “Take what she says with a grain of salt.”

“I’m well aware, Blueblood,” responded the gentleman. He turned to the princess. “Please, tell us about ourselves.”

“Very well. Fancy Pants, in Equestria, you’re one of the most influential nobles in the country. Known for your philanthropy and passion for the arts, even most commoners love and respect you.”

“Oh,” Fancy uttered, a blush crossing his face. “That’s nice.”

She turned to Shining Armor. “And you, Shining, as you already know from your visit with Twilight, are a prince of the Crystal Empire due to your marriage with Princess Cadance. You are also the Captain of the Royal Guard, which is quite an esteemed position.”

“That sounds . . . unbelievable,” he said.

“Filthy Rich,” Celestia said, “Although I am not as acquainted with you personally, Barnyard Bargains has quickly expanded across Equestria, which has made you quite wealthy.”

Filthy smirked. “I sure hoped that was the case.”

“And Mrs. Smith,” Celestia turned to her, “The Apple Family is one of the largest clans within the nation, and as a matriarch, you hold a surprising amount of sway within the apple farming market. Of course, you really just want to relax and bake pies all day. They’re absolutely delicious, too. Anytime Twilight and her friends visit, Applejack brings me a few.”

“Sounds like she’s got her head on straight, then,” Granny said.

“And Blueblood—”

“No, no, no, I don’t want to hear it,” he interrupted.

“Are you sure you don’t want to hear about Prince Blueblood?” asked Celestia. “It just seems a bit unlike you, is all.”

“Well, you don’t know me, you’re basing me off of your Prince Blueblood,” the president responded, “and even though I would like to know, I can’t take your word for it.” He turned to the rest of the members. “Can you really trust what she just said? She lied to us about her own identity, but suddenly everything else she says is fine? Be a little bit skeptical for once in your lives!”

Princess Celestia’s smile turned down a twitch. “The only deception I committed was falsely pretending to be your Celestia, which was not a hard task. Everything else I said was completely true. I would not be so indecent as to lie directly to your face about this. You may not believe me, but I am telling the truth, and were we to have more time, I could show you myself.”

Blueblood folded his arms. “Well, understand this: those people you described are not us.”

“Couldn’t they be?” asked the princess.

“What? No.”

“Well, why not?,” Celestia asked, “Why can’t they be you, or at least of equivalent standing in your world? I believe that all of my little ponies are special, and I believe that you all, by extension, can be just as unique and successful as your counterparts. Could I tell you all a quick story?”

The members looked around at one another, and since Blueblood chose to stay quiet and simply glare at the Princess, they nodded.

Celestia smiled. “I hope you don’t mind me singling you out, Fancy Pants,” she said, glancing toward the man, “But this story is about you. Or at least, your counterpart.”

Fancy Pants, slightly taken aback, blushed a little. “Oh, well, if you think it best, then please, go on.”

“Thank you,” she said. “The Fancy Pants of my world was the foal of two prominent nobles. As such, I saw him constantly throughout his foalhood and teenage years. There’s a tradition among the nobles that a pony’s first appearance in my royal court is a sort of ‘rite of passage’ into adulthood. As such, I expected to see Fancy Pants petitioning before me very quickly once he reached adulthood, just like his other noble peers. But Fancy Pants didn’t appear until several years after the usual time I expected to see him.”

Her face lit up as she recalled the memory. “I remember the day quite well. As I went over the agenda for the morning and saw Fancy’s name on my list, I was quite excited to see what his first appearance would be for. But he was presenting in the latter half of court, so I tucked that excitement away for later.

“There was an odd aura in the air that day, however. I could hear a large commotion from outside of this room, and my mind was quite occupied at what was going on in the castle. Anytime a guest opened the doors to this chamber, a crowd of ponies packed around the outside, but that was not unusual for a busy court morning.

“What was odd was that, despite all of the commotion outside, the list of ponies attending court was actually shrinking; ponies were cancelling their appearances left and right. Soon enough, your name appeared next on the list, several hours before you were slated to speak with me.

“I called your name, and as those double doors down the hall opened, in comes a flood of ponies with sleeping bags slung across their backs, carrying tents and lanterns and foldable chairs. You should have seen my face when they started setting themselves down for camp, right there on the marble floor! I don’t get surprised that easily, trust me. And there you were at the front of the group, trotting up to me as if this was an everyday occurrence.

“I of course asked what the meaning of this was, and you were quite happy to explain. It turns out, deep in one of the less affluent districts of Canterlot was a neighborhood of homes that were suffering a great deal of weather damage. The homes were very old, and as such there was a lot of dispute over who owned them. Anypony with the rights to those houses would not touch them in fear of a lawsuit, so it was ultimately cheaper to let them crumble. Despite Fancy’s attempts to help the inhabitants of this block, no authorities in the city were willing to listen. He revealed to me that he had been working for the past several years on rebuilding and renovating various areas of Canterlot, but this one block was seemingly impossible to break through.

“You told me that it was supposed to snow that night, for the first time that season. You said that you could not watch these ponies freeze all night in the snow while you went back to your warm bed. And sure enough, you dropped a sleeping bag right there on the floor and joined them.” She chuckled.

“Of course, no pony actually slept in my throne room that night. We relocated everypony to various spare housing, and began renovating some of the more downtrodden areas of Canterlot. You got exactly what you wanted, and many ponies suspected it as nothing more than a political stunt. But no, once you were satisfied with that you moved on to investing in the arts and fashion, holding parties for budding new performers and paying for public works across the city. It seemed to me that Fancy Pants felt the best usage of his time and money was encouraging others to grow. This is the type of pony you are, Fancy. One who gained influence through supporting others, not by hindering them.” She smiled as the beams of the sun appeared to shine down upon them all. “That’s what I mean when I say you all can be your counterparts. You all have that same level of good within you. It’s just up to you all to decide whether or not you will act upon it.”

Fancy Pants swallowed. “Wow, that’s . . . wow. I don’t know what to say.”

Blueblood walked up to Fancy Pants and placed a hand on his shoulder. “Just remember, Fancy, that wasn’t you. She’s trying to trick you—”

“I am doing nothing of the sort,” Celestia butted in. “I’m only asking you to appeal to your greater sensibilities, Fancy Pants. I may not know you specifically, but I do know that any Fancy Pants would fight for justice and decency, at any cost.”

“You’re just grasping at straws,” spat Blueblood, “you’ve got nothing left up your sleeve. This isn’t even related to us at all!”

Celestia shook her head. “No, that’s not the case either. There’s a second part to this story as well. When we helped all of those desperate ponies you brought into court that day, Fancy, some families were reallocated to the dorms at my School for Gifted Unicorns. Typically, the school is only reserved for the best unicorns in the nation. Well, one filly we had moved there had decided to attend several lectures to stave off her boredom. She had magicked her name onto several class rosters, and impressed her instructors so much that they decided to let her stay, even after realizing she was not supposed to be attending class. Eventually, word came back to me that there was an undocumented prodigy causing a stir at my school. And that’s how I found out about Sunset Shimmer, and later took her under my wing.”

Fancy Pants opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. He was too stricken to form a coherent answer. “I . . . I’m honored, but . . . this all seems like a bit too much.”

“I apolgize if I overwhelmed you,” Princess Celestia said. “I just felt like it was important to say. I know that all of you have goodness in your hearts, and I just wish to remind you of that.” She turned to the other members of the Board. “I implore you all to live up to your name. There will be backlash if you let Sunset stay in your school, but if you do, I promise you Sunset will not let you down. And, if it matters at all, each of you will have my eternal gratitude.”

Several loud bangs echoed from the back of the room, and the Board members flinched, turning all heads to the double doors.

“This is the Royal Guard! Trespassing is prohibited!” exclaimed a voice on the other side.

“Oops!” Discord exclaimed. “Looks like time is up, unless Her Majesty would like to explain to the royal guard who set off the royal alarm.”

Celestia frowned, disappointed that she had been cut off. “No, I’d rather not. Let’s return back the meeting room. There is not anything to be discussed here that will not be suitable in your world.”

“Fine by me,” said Discord, and snapped his fingers, sending the Board back through space. Interdimensional travel had gotten quite dull to them at this point, especially after Discord toned down the antics. “Aw, it’s just not fun anymore,” he murmured to himself.

They landed back in their seats with a thud. Discord flew over to his pipe on the table and placed it over his lips, blowing out a few bubbles. “Welcome back, everyone.”

“How much time has passed since our trip?” asked Shining Armor.

“It’s a little past three in the morning,” Fancy Pants said, glancing at his watch. “I guess we might as well take the rest of the night on this.”

In the corner of the room, Princess Celestia cleared her throat.

“What is it?” Discord asked, turning to the alicorn. “Ah, I see.”

Celestia had not been transformed back into a human, her equine figure wobbling dangerously off of the small wooden chair Discord had placed her on. “Ah, I see. I forgot that only the mirror portal changes species.” He snapped his fingers, and Celestia found herself back in her chair as a normal-sized human.

“I’d like to ask for an ultimatum,” Blueblood said aloud.

“Yes?” Discord asked, blowing a few more bubbles from his pipe, “You have that right.”

“Since we’re clearly going to be here all night, if we have not reached an agreement by seven this morning, we call it off.”

“We can’t, remember,” Celestia said. “The Principal needs your decision by Monday morning.”

“Right,” said Blueblood, “So all of us will go home and get some rest, and then Sunday morning we’ll come back and set things straight, solely among members of the Board. You cannot expect us to go on here forever. And considering you two have been tampering around all week, I think we deserve something to level the playing field.”

“Hmmm . . . " Discord stroked his goatee in thought. “Well, I suppose you’re right. It would be awfully rude of me to keep you all here into the weekend without any sleep.”

“Thank you,” said Blueblood, sitting back down in his chair with a grin.

“Should we hold another vote again, then?” asked Shining. “Just to see where everyone stands.”

“That sounds like a good idea,” said the draconequus. “All not in favor of expulsion, please raise your hand.”

Discord raised his claw.

Granny Smith raised her hand.

And, warily, shakily, half-heartedly, Fancy Pants willed his hand upwards, a troubled expression crossing his face.

“Oh, look what you’ve done to the poor man,” Blueblood exclaimed, “You might as well be threatening him at gunpoint!”

“W-well,” squeaked Fancy, “I’m just a little uncertain yet, is all. I’d like to talk a little more, and develop a better understanding of how I feel about the case.”

“Nothing about how you feel about this case is making you raise your hand. Miss Golden-Voiced Preacher over there waxed poetic about how special you are, and that’s making you feel obligated to let Sunset stay. See through it, Fancy Pants. You can still love your underprivileged brother and also not let a criminal run wild in our hallways.”

Fancy Pants sighed and lowered his hand. “I suppose you’re right.”

“Now hold on,” Princess Celestia replied, “Don’t try and take your feelings out of the equation, Fancy Pants. Blueblood may not want to admit it, but he’s not approaching this from a place devoid of emotion either.”

“Now listen here, Princess,” Blueblood growled, “I’m quite familiar with your tricks. Fancy Pants may have fallen for it hook, line, and sinker, but I’ve been seeing through you for years.”

“Oh, I was under the impression that I’m not like my counterpart, according to you,” said Celestia.

“You know that’s not what I meant. The only thing you’ve got backing you is that you want Sunset to stay. Well, guess what? You’re not a member of the Board, nor the decision-making counsel. You don’t have the right to influence our decisions. Right, Fancy?”

Fancy looked at the two, eyes wide. “Um, uh . . .”

“It’s okay Fancy Pants, there’s no need to answer just yet,” said Princess Celestia. “Blueblood is trying to not let you appeal to your higher senses—”

Higher senses? Why, that’s rich coming from the pony who’s sent us this bully in the first place!”

“Now, Blueblood, I don’t take kindly to you referring to Sunset as just a bully—”

“What do you want me to call her, your failed lapdog? Cause that sure seems like what you wanted her be—”

Enough!” Discord boomed, enlarging himself to encompass the whole room and blocking the argument between the two. “I thought I was supposed to be the childish one! You’ve got poor Fancy Pants going back and forth like a tennis ball!” A quick glance at Fancy revealed his eyes had gone wide and he’d leaned back in surprise. “He doesn’t know how to feel yet! Let him reach a decision on his own instead of forcing him to make a choice.” He took a deep breath, and then pulled out a bar of soap and stuck it in his mouth, violently scrubbing back and forth. “Blegh, reason never tastes good on my tongue.”

As the draconequus finished cleaning out his mouth and returned to his pipe, Celestia and Blueblood awkwardly shifted in their seats.

“I agree with Discord on this,” said Filthy Rich. “There’s no need to get rude about things. There are other tasks we can discuss first, and then come back to how Fancy feels later.”

“You are right, Discord,” Celestia said. “And I apologize to all of you, especially you, Blueblood. I am putting myself in the center of what should be a private discussion between the six of you. I’m just looking out for Sunset’s wellbeing, but I understand and will be mindful that this is not my place.”

Blueblood loosened himself up a little. “It’s fine, just . . . stick to observing. I won’t try and stifle your opinion, but you are not deliberating with us. Don’t forget that.”

Discord smiled. “Good enough, for now. Now, does anyone have an actual argument they would like to bring up?”

“I do,” said Filthy, clearing his throat. “Discord, despite you, Mrs. Smith, and Officer Armor’s apt persuasion regarding the personal and social importance of allowing Sunset to stay, none of you still have yet to offer an explanation as for how we are going to explain to the school and community that we are letting her stay.” He turned to Princess Celestia, “And I won’t take ‘we don’t’ for an answer. That is not how this board operates. Unless you all have found a genuine reason within our school policy that prevents Sunset from being expelled, then I see no reason in continuing this conversation.”

“That is completely right,” said Blueblood. “You can throw everything else out of this whole argument we’ve had tonight. Unless you have the policy to back this up, we can’t proceed forward.”

“Excuse me,” said Shining, “I’m not exactly familiar with the School Board’s policy. Could we bring it out or something? Just to refresh ourselves.”

Discord snapped his fingers and with a thump, a large stack of papers appeared on the table.

“You really could have just pulled it up on a computer,” said Filthy Rich dryly. He stood up and began flipping through the pages. “Let’s see, ah, right here. This is Policy 5410. The Board may expel a student if it is in the best interest of the school, and, if the student’s conduct on school grounds results in the damage of property, health, or safety of others. There’s more, but that’s the general gist of it.”

“Let me see,” said Shining Armor, taking a peek at it. “Yeah, I don’t see anything that doesn’t essentially agree with that.”

Each of the members passed the policy around the table, each taking their turn reading it, ending on Granny Smith. “Do y’all mind if I keep takin’ a look at this? Truth be told, Ah’ve never spent much time staring it down. I was always more focused on the students then the policy. Er, no offense, Rich.”

“None taken, it’s important to have people of different strengths on the Board,” he said. “But there we have it. As far as I am concerned, Sunset Shimmer meets the requirements for ‘damage of property, health, or safety of others’ with plenty of room to spare.”

“. . . yeah, I suppose you’re right,” said Shining. “It would be tough to find a way around this.”

“I have to reluctantly agree. We can’t go out and make a fool of ourselves if we don’t have something in the policy that can actually back up allowing Sunset to stay,” added Fancy Pants.

“Exactly,” said Filthy Rich, a smile crossing his face. “I just don’t know why it’s taken you all so long to see this. I say we hold another vote—”

“Sunset’s a bit of a skinny girl, ain’t she?” Granny butted in. She was squinting at the board policy papers, holding a pair of glasses up to her eyes. “Gosh, who wrote the text this small?”

“I-I’m sorry?” choked out Filthy. “What does that have to do with anything?”

“Well, I just saw some policy that made me think of it. You know that she’s one of them vegetarians? Anytime I’d help out at lunch, she’d refuse anything with meat. I tried to give her extra veggies to make up for it, but you can only do so much. Hey, Princess,” she turned to Celestia, “Discord mentioned that most ponies don’t eat meat. Is that true?”

“Yes, in a general sense,” said Celestia. “Even disregarding the ethical concerns, meat isn’t necessary for a pony’s diet. It’s just not something we do.”

“That’s great, but could we get back to the conversation at hand, please?” asked Blueblood.

“Sorry, it’s just, it makes me wonder, you know?” Granny said quietly. “This is a growing young girl who has some very specific dietary requirements. I don’t think she’s getting her adequate amount of nutrients.”

Filthy looked at her. “This really isn’t the time, Mrs. Smith.”

Granny let out a small laugh, her cheeks reddening. “Ah, sorry y’all, but I swear I’m going somewhere here. Apple family values and all that, they make me worry. You see, I want to know how her parents are feeding her. Maybe there’s some trouble at home. You think we can try giving them a call?”

“At three in the morning? They haven’t answered all week, they certainly won’t now,” said Blueblood.

“Well, didn’t Sunset say they were on a business trip?” asked Granny slyly. “Maybe three in the morning is the afternoon for them, or something. You never know.”

“There’s no use,” Celestia jumped in. “You’ll never get an answer. Sunset doesn’t have—” Celestia paused abruptly, her face growing pale. She jumped up out of her seat over to Granny and hunched over her shoulder, eyeing the policy book. “Oh my word,” she uttered, “How did I not even realize . . .”

“Realize what?” asked Filthy Rich. “What is this about?”

Shining Armor leaned over the table and looked at the text, his eyes going wide. “You’re telling me that you’ve been dealing with this girl for years and none of you figured this out?”

“What? What is it?” Blueblood asked.

Granny looked up at them. “You keep on talkin’ about Policy 5140, but that’s only half the picture. We also need to take a closer look at Policy 5113.”

Immediately understanding the gravity of the situation, Filthy Rich draped a hand across his face. “Of course, this girl . . .”

“Forgive me for not knowing the policy numbers by heart,” said Blueblood, “But which one is 5113?”

Filthy Rich turned wearily to Blueblood. “Homeless Students.”

And as a heavy silence settled across the room, Discord leaned back in his chair and blew a few more bubbles out of his pipe, the corner of his mouth turning upward ever-so-gently.

Author's Note:

The following chapter(s) will focus on the topic of homelessness, so if this is a triggering or uncomfortable subject for you, please do not force yourself to read further. I intend to handle this topic seriously and with care, and I want to make clear once again that what some of these characters say are not representative of my opinions as an author. If you have any concerns about this, please feel free to contact me privately; I am happy to talk.