• Published 10th Apr 2021
  • 2,375 Views, 203 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 13 - twilightsparkle3562



Welcome to Season 13 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

  • ...
12
 203
 2,375

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 14: "The Midnight in Me, Part 1"

Author's Note:

Episode Summary: Twilight faces some harsh criticism at a press conference and has a panic attack which causes her to end up back in the hospital, while Grogar opts to create a clone of Chrysalis for his own plan

Cast:

Tara Strong as Princess Twilight Sparkle

Doc Harris as Grogar

Ashleigh Ball as Applejack/Rainbow Dash

Andrea Libman as Pinkie Pie/Fluttershy

Tabitha St. Germain as Rarity

Cathy Wesluck as Spike

Alvin Sanders as King Sombra

Julie Andrews as Gentle Breeze

Dick Van Dyke as Gentle Gust

John De Lancie as Discord

Patrick Stewart as King Vorak

Robert Morse as Sendak

Kathleen Barr as Queen Chrysalis' clone

David Kaye as Dirty Scoop

Maurice LaMarche as Dirty Laundry/News Stand Attendant

"My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" Season 13, Episode 14

"The Midnight in Me: Part 1"

Written by Jeff Snyder (TwilightSparkle3562)

Edited by SuperPinkBrony12

Gentle Gust and his partner Gentle Breeze held a major responsibility for helping ponies deal with their mental health. Ever since they'd taken on Twilight Sparkle as a patient, they'd both felt more important than ever before in terms of their position.

Early one morning as Gentle Gust arrived at his office, he stopped at the newsstand right outside Canterlot Hospital. "Chim chiminee chiminee, chim chim cheeroo," He sang to himself as he approached the stand. "I does what I likes and I likes…what I do."

"Morning, Dr. Gust," The news attendant greeted as he handed the elder pony his daily newspaper. "How are things at the office?"

"Oh, fine, fine," Gentle Gust reapplied as he paid with a bit. "Another day of keeping an eye on my special patient."

"You might want to check out the front cover," The news attendant nervously advised and Gentle Gust studied the front cover showing a picture of Twilight with the headline "SUPREME PRINCESS MENTALLY FIT TO RULE" on the top. Below the picture was a small picture of Hopper, the Changeling Twilight had executed.

"What in…why are they putting this in as a headline?!" Gentle Gust asked himself. "Don't they know her highness is…?"

"Yes, I've often wondered about that myself, Dr. Gust," The news attendant remarked. "What is wrong with the news of Equestria?"

Taking his eye off the newspaper, Gentle Gust bade the news attendant good day and made his way into the hospital. Deep down, he had a feeling that Twilight was once again going to end up back in his care again. Stepping into the office, he placed the newspaper down on the desk as Gentle Breeze came in.

"Well, I can't seem to understand it, Gentle Gust," Gentle Breeze declared, causing Gentle Gust to turn around and see that his partner was holding the same newspaper in her aura. "How could…? Oh, it seems like you've read."

"Yes, Gentle Breeze. Why would they write such a comment about Twilight?" Gentle Gust remarked. "I don't understand it either."

"Personally, I have a feeling that Twilight's going to be affected strongly by this. What someponies will do to make a living." Gentle Gust sighed deeply and once again looked down at the newspaper headline.

All Twilight could do was stand in front of her mirror with a troubled look on her face. She had not gotten the newspaper with her picture on the front page, but had a suspicion that her recent decisions were about to come back and bite her in the flank.

"Hey Twilight," Spike said as he made his way into Twilight's bedroom. "Did you…?"

"I had not, but I have a suspicion that the latest news isn't good," Twilight declared, turning away from the mirror. "They're after me, Spike, and with a war coming."

"Don't they understand about your mental health and how sensitive you are?" Spike remarked. "So you made a bad decision? Why dwell on it now? It's not gonna change it."

Twilight placed her crown on her head and proceeded to look down at Spike some more.

Immediately, Spike thought of a way to diffuse the situation. "Well, there are plenty of ponies and creatures who approve of your leadership so far in the war against Grogar."

"Yeah, you guys," Twilight huffed as she stepped out of her bedroom. "Grogar is the most dangerous enemy to Equestria, and all this one paper can do is attack me, saying that I am a bad leader and that I am worse than Celestia or Luna. Well, at least I can try and defend myself at the press conference later today."

All Spike could do was take a deep gulp, fearing that his big sister would be suffering another mental breakdown.

Meanwhile, Grogar sat on the throne of his new base of operations in the Distant Lands. The predacons may have conquered them, but he was the true ruler. "Take a look at this, Scarface," he said to his pet bear, stroking his head. "This kingdom will serve as my launching pad for our ultimate conquest."

The grizzly huffed as he let out a small sneeze. "But after discovering those fools attempting to assassinate me, I cannot tolerate such treason," Grogar remarked. "No, I shall deal with them in due time. But, there is always room for one more servant…" Looking down at his bewitching bell, the wheels in his head were once again turning with an evil idea. "SOMBRA!" he bellowed, his voice loud enough to cause a crack in the throne room roof. "SOMBRA!"

Just then, the deposed king of the Crystal Empire floated into the throne room, bowing down to Grogar. "You summoned for me, my emperor?" Sombra asked, looking up at Grogar.

"Yes, you simpleton!" Grogar declared while gesturing for Sombra to rise. "I have an idea and I want you to listen to me."

"Can I first give you the news that Arabus and Squirk have already taken up their positions?" Sombra asked.

"That's not important right now." Grogar replied.

"Then what is important, my emperor?" Sombra wondered. "Are we planning to attack Canterlot soon?"

Sensing Sombra's hunger, Grogar chuckled to himself in amusement. "Not quite, my friend. I have an idea to bring strong leadership to our legion. Tell me, what are your thoughts on Princess Twilight's…mental capacities?"

This caused Sombra to become slightly confused at his emperor's question. "I…I know not, my emperor. But she seems to be strongly supported by those friends of hers. I should know, they sent me back to the ether."

Tapping his rear hoof, Grogar summoned a donkey servant to bring forth a journal with a brown cover on the front with a picture of the old Equestrian flag bearing Celestia and Luna.

"What is that, my emperor?!" Sombra gasped!

"This, Sombra, is The Journal of the Two Sisters," Grogar explained while opening the cover. "A story of the former royal sisters whose parents banished me to the moon."

"And the same royal sisters who turned me to shadow," Sombra grumbled before questioning. "Why must you obtain this journal?"

"Because…" Grogar answered, turning to the section where Celestia described Luna becoming Nightmare Moon. "The princess formerly known as Princess Luna had issues that hindered her ability to rule alongside her sister and thus…became the creature known as Nightmare Moon."

Still, Sombra was confused."So?"

"What if I were to create such a physical manifestation of Princess Twilight?" Grogar asked, closing the book. "An evil manifestation that will serve me and only me? It would be the perfect weapon!"

"My emperor, such sounds like when the traitor Chrysalis created clones to obtain the Elements of Harmony," Sombra cautioned. "I wish you would reconsider. It did not end well for her, and it won't end well for us. Such a clone would surely try to destroy us and take over."

But Grogar remained steadfast in his decision. He was going to have another minion under his command whether anyone liked it or not. "I will have a manifestation of Twilight Sparkle if it's the last thing I do! It'll be the perfect way to bring Equestria to its knees!" Grogar declared, rising to his hind legs and activating his bell's powers. "And I know just who to recruit to help me."

Swinging his bell back and forth, Grogar chanted an incantation and Sombra stood back, wondering just what Grogar was going to do. Sure enough…a green smoke came out and formed in the shape of a changeling. But not just any changeling. It was Chrysalis with her green armor, crown and green eyes.

With his servant released, Grogar let out an evil laugh as Sombra grew more and more confused.

Aboard the royal train to Canterlot, Twilight continued to ponder the possibility that the Equestrian press was out to destroy her reputation as supreme princess. The more she thought about it, the more anxious she became.

"Guys, I'm really concerned about Twilight," Applejack said to the rest of the princesses as she looked from the end of the train car. "These rumors of that newspaper saying all this stuff about her is really gettin' her down."

"Yes, I can't seem to imagine why such ponies would do such a thing," Rarity added in a hushed voice. "For that matter, why don't they target us along with Twilight? We've been supporting her decisions, have we not?"

"Because they think we're just side acts and she's the main act," Pinkie Pie remarked, causing her friends to give her a stare. "What? That's probably true for them. And Twilight has been making a lot of decisions on her own lately."

"Well we can't let her go through with this alone!" Rainbow Dash declared, flexing out her wings and hooves in preparation for a fight. "If those press ponies want to give her a hard time…"

"Careful, hothead," Applejack cautioned. "Don't forget that they may be goin' after you next. This ain't the time to be fightin' with each other."

"Whatever you say, AJ." Rainbow replied.

Soon the train neared Canterlot and immediately, the press was already waiting on the platform.

Twilight took an enormous gulp as the door to the train car opened. Following two guardsponies, Twilight walked past the flashes of photographs and the screaming of questions from reporters. The more she walked, the more uncomfortable she felt about what was happening.

A few moments later, Twilight and her friends boarded the chariot for the short ride over to Canterlot Castle for the weekly press conference.

Upon arrival, Twilight and her friends proceeded to the throne room where the press was already in place.

"They sure are hungry for information," Fluttershy declared, herself feeling her knees shaking. "Ooh, I can only imagine what Twilight is feeling."

"We have to face it, girls," Twilight firmly replied. "Follow me and let's get this over with."

So all did as they were told and proceeded into the throne room as the trumpets sounded, announcing their arrival.

Standing in front of the microphone, Twilight began the press conference. "Good morning, everycreature," She began. "I'm sure that you are probably all wondering the latest on where we go with how we stand against Grogar. To this end, I have ordered that strict lockdowns will occur from sunset to sunrise. In addition, the Equestrian forces are continuously taking applications for any type of service. Every bit counts."

As she spoke, Twilight noticed a pair of ponies with pencils on their ears looking right at her. "Furthermore, I also wish to report that intelligence reports claim that Grogar is planning to attack neighboring kingdoms using his minions. To this end, I implore that all kingdoms up their defense. All we can do is work to the best of our ability to defeat Grogar. This is it, the war is finally about to come home! We must be alert if we're to prevail!"

Once Twilight finished her sentence, one of the two ponies took down notes on a notepad. Twilight tried to ignore them as she continued the press conference. "Finally, I wish to point out…" But a clearing of the throat from one of the pencil eared ponies caused her to direct her attention towards them. "Yes?" Twilight asked. "You wish to ask me something?"

"That is correct," One of the reporters replied. "I'm Dirty Scoop, Canterlot Chronicle and this is my partner, Dirty Laundry. Both of us were wondering about something…"

"Do you think these strict lockdowns will be enough?" Dirty Laundry asked in a grouchy voice. "Or are you just tooting your own horn? Be honest, do you really believe the citizens of Equestria will support such measures?"

Twilight gave them a nervous glance as she tried to politely answer them. "The lockdown measures my fellow princesses and I have imposed are only meant to help protect, not hinder innocent ponies. You know that along with everypony else in this room."

"Perhaps you also are aware that your failures to protect the Distant Lands are a sign of things to come?" Dirty Scoop proposed.

This caused Twilight to be taken aback. "Why is that even a question?"

"Because, your highness, the ponies of Equestria would like to know," Dirty Scoop answered. "If you…the supreme princess of Equestria…are making the right decisions in defending her subjects."

"What?!" Twilight asked in a shocked voice. "What does that have to do with anything we are talking about?!"

"Because the public has a right to know," Dirty Laundry remarked. "The decisions you've made as of late have given many ponies cause for concern."

Immediately, Twilight began to feel the pressure turn up and her friends began to notice.

"And it's to our opinion," Dirty Scoop added. "That you seem to be mentally unfit to be supreme princess. The writing has been on the wall for a long time now."

Appalled, Twilight could feel the anxiety starting to creep back up inside of her along with a growing anger.

"Any other questions?" Twilight asked other journalists, trying to ignore the two journalists. This caused the other princesses to become nervous as well.

"Princess Twilight," Dirty Scoop asked again. "Your recent decision to execute the changeling criminal, Hopper. My partner and I believe that decision was made because you were out of character."

"The decision to execute Hopper was based on the fact that he committed a war crime!" Twilight argued! "I didn't like doing it, but it had to be done. He was too much of a dangerous influence to be allowed to live."

"A war crime?!" Dirty Scoop remarked while chuckling slightly. "I doubt that because we weren't really at war then. Grogar hadn't launched an attack, Hopper was no threat to anyone anymore."

"The verdict was clear and precise," Twilight nervously cried. "He threatened to pull off my wings for one. I… I couldn't let that stand! It would've been an insult against the crown!"

"So it was for your own personal revenge then?!" Dirty Scoop cried. "Well, that further clarifies our decision to put your decision to execute Hopper on the front cover. How could you stoop so low, princess? You used to believe in second chances!"

Right away, Twilight stepped back from the podium, tears forming in the corners of her eyes.

"Tell the truth, your highness," Dirty Scoop demanded. "We have a right and the rest of your subjects have a right to know, what has happened to the Twilight Sparkle we once knew? Why isn't she here now, leading us instead of this impostor?!"

Shocked and appalled, the other princesses came to Twilight's side as Rainbow Dash flew up to the podium, her eyes darted on the two journalists. "Hey you!" Rainbow Dash yelled into the microphone, her eyes locked on them. "Leave this meeting at once! You're not helping anything!"

"Princess Rainbow Dash, we are well within our rights as journalists to get the truth," Dirty Laundry protested. "Princess Twilight is clearly unfit to rule Equestria. She should just admit it!"

"Why don't you ask me that?" Rainbow Dash hissed, angrily glaring at them with her wings stretched out. "Come at me, I'm a mare! I'm a princess! I'm a wonderbolt! Why don't we take this outside?!"

But this only added fuel to the fire. "Why don't you just stick with the wonderbolts, then?" Dirty Scoop asked. "I'm sure balancing being a princess and a Wonderbolt is a lot for you."

The sounds of the yelling caused Twilight to further start shaking and crying and soon, she was curled up into a ball while her friends looked on.

Immediately, the other reporters became concerned and Applejack took charge of the situation. "Sorry, everypony," she said. "We are ending the press conference early."

But Twilight's cries continued, causing further concern. And at that moment, several guardsponies ran over to Twilight's aide to surround her and the other princesses. Then the rest of the guardsponies began to usher the ponies out of the throne room.

"What do we do?"Rarity asked in a concerned voice.

"Better get her over to the hospital," Spike said solemnly with a deep concern in his voice. "Aww, Twilight…"

And once again, Twilight was on her way back to the hospital because of another mental health breakdown.

Meanwhile, Sombra could only watch in disbelief as Grogar admired the clone of Chrysalis that he created.

"I am Chrysalis, Queen of the Changelings," The clone declared while bowing to Grogar. "Here to serve you."

"Yes, yes," Grogar laughed, pointing to the clone. "You shall serve me well as I have created you. You shall serve me by retrieving a sample of the blood of Princess Twilight Sparkle."

"As you command, my emperor," The clone laughed. "It shall be done."

"Wait!" Sombra cried running in front of the Chrysalis clone, feeling his position deeply. "I don't understand, my emperor! Why must you create a clone of a traitor?!"

"Because I need a traitor's clone to serve me. That's why, you weakling!" Grogar thundered, using his magic to move Sombra out of the clone's way. "Now stand aside! This clone will obey me, I shall personally see to it. I have ensured that this clone has no desire to do anything other than obey my commands."

As Sombra got to his feet, Scarface let out a growl that caused Sombra to nervously back away.

"Now my loyal servant," Grogar instructed to the Chrysalis clone. "You shall infiltrate Canterlot Hospital and bring me a vial of Twilight Sparkle's blood, so I can create an evil servant in her likeness."

"Twilight Sparkle's blood shall be yours, my emperor." The Chrysalis clone declared, bowing to Grogar once more.

"Good, now go at once!" Grogar ordered, using his magic to send the Chrysalis clone away. Then, Grogar was left alone with Sombra once more. "Nothing against you, Sombra, but you cannot always get the glory that comes with being my second-in-command, yes? For I need another second-in-command for my planned conquest of Equestria. Somepony that can take out the princesses themselves."

And Grogar walked over to his map of Equestria, looking down at the spot on the map where Ponyville and Canterlot stood.

"And who do you plan on naming this clone of Princess Twilight's, my emperor?" Sombra asked.

"All in due time, my friend," Grogar muttered, turning to Sombra with a sinister smile on his face. "All in due time." And Grogar tapped into his bell's powers yet again, this time teleporting him and Sombra out of the throne room.

From a corner of the throne room, a large flag hung over along with several other flags. The flag somehow jumped off and landed down on the floor before manifesting into Discord. "A clone of Twilight?" He remarked, running his lion paw through his face. "Oh, boy. As if things weren't bad enough for her."

"I propose we take out Grogar and his fools at once!" King Vorak's voice declared as another large flag fell and landed next to Discord, before manifesting into Vorak himself. "The throne is left unguarded!"

"Are you stupid, you silly centaur?" Discord whispered, hastily covering Vorak's mouth with his lion paw. "It doesn't go that easily! Besides, you heard the orders, we are to spy and provide intelligence on Grogar's moves! We if try to make a move on Grogar we'll blow our cover and be of no help to anyone."

"Now you listen to me, spirit of chaos!" Vorak retorted. "I only joined with you to reclaim my kingdom, not to help Equestria!"

But Discord looked flatly at the stubborn centaur. "Yea of little faith," Discord said, briefly transforming into a pea. "Says the old centaur who has a pea for a brain."

"What?" Vorak blinked in confusion.

"It's the truth," Discord hissed, turning back to his normal self. "Now be quiet and help me gather more intelligence. If Grogar thinks what he is trying to do…"

"It doesn't concern me what happens to the ponies of Equestria," Vorak declared, much to Discord's shock and dismay.

"Doesn't concern…doesn't concern you?" Discord cried in a frustrated voice. "Look, I've dealt with many stubborn ignoramuses in my life…but you take the cake! You were even brought back to life, you got a second chance!" And to prove his point, Discord turned into a cake.

"So what if I am being stubborn?" Vorak grunted as Discord turned back to his normal self. "I am not a part of this war…"

"Oh, yes you are, Vorak!" Discord cried while grabbing Vorak's beard. "You lost your kingdom to Grogar, or have you been so blinded by your desire to eliminate your eldest son? I'm beginning to wonder just how much of a sourpuss you really are. Furthermore, I don't really get the picture of why Starswirl listened to you. You weren't trying to redeem yourself…"

"Can't we just end this please?" Vorak groaned as Discord teleported himself onto the throne with a glass of chocolate milk in his eagle claw.

"Of course we can end this, but it won't be the way you wanted it to be," Discord cautioned. "In many cases, you will probably end up like the Storm King…who just happens to be buried right here in this kingdom."

Snapping his eagle claw, Discord produced a picture of Grogar and Sombra standing in front of a makeshift grave.

"So what? Grogar will join him and all his ilk," Vorak cried, turning his back on Discord. "And I don't care if anyone else hears me…"

Suddenly, they heard the sounds of the doors opening and Vorak could not believe what he was seeing before his eyes.

"I care," Sendak declared, much to Vorak's dismay. "How could you be so selfish, my king?"

Vorak said nothing, but could only look at the disappointment on his counselor's face.

Meanwhile the Chrysalis clone proceeded closer and closer to Canterlot as Twilight was being admitted. Very soon, Grogar would have a new lieutenant to serve him.

PreviousChapters Next