• Published 10th Apr 2021
  • 2,329 Views, 203 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 13 - twilightsparkle3562



Welcome to Season 13 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

  • ...
12
 203
 2,329

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 19: "Desperately Seeking Gusty"

Author's Note:

Episode Summary: Twilight and her friends seek the spirit world for the one ally that could help them defeat Grogar for good...Gusty the Great herself!

Cast:

Tara Strong as Princess Twilight Sparkle

Ashleigh Ball as Applejack/Rainbow Dash

Andrea Libman as Pinkie Pie/Fluttershy

Tabitha St. Germain as Rarity/Luna

Cathy Wesluck as Spike

Nicole Oliver as Celestia

Brian Drummond as Chancellor Puddinghead

Nancy Cartwright as Gusty the Great

Hugo Weaving as the Tantabus

"My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" Season 13, Episode 19

"Desperately Seeking Gusty"

Written by Jeff Snyder (TwilightSparkle3562)

Edited by SuperPinkBrony12

Twilight's late night visit with Maa had made her aware that Grogar was not all pure evil. But she knew that the only way Grogar could truly be free was to destroy his earthly form and free his spirit. Gathering her friends and fellow princesses at the Castle of Friendship the next morning, Twilight relayed her story of Maa's visit.

"Let me get this straight," Rainbow Dash questioned, looking over at Twilight. "Some sheep comes here in the middle of the night and then just disappears before your eyes? You sure you weren't just having a bad dream while you were awake or something?"

"I don't think Twilight was having a bad dream because I was there to witness it too Rainbow," Spike replied. "I mean, here we were asleep and all of sudden, Maa comes and relays the truth about Grogar."

"Spike has a good point," Twilight declared. "Grogar is a creature of evil, perhaps the most evil foe we have ever faced, but we can try and help him."

"And how do you propose we do that?" Pinkie Pie asked. "Invite him here for cupcakes and tea? Some party that would be."

But Twilight wasn't thinking of a party. She had far better ideas in mind. "It will not be a party, Pinkie," She explained. "If what Maa said is true, then Grogar must be rid of this earth, even though it may seem crazy. But I'm thinking that we can try and find Gusty the Great and bring her back from the dead. She may know how to help us."

"Not by digging up Gusty's grave, right?" Spike shivered, feeling his scales stand up on end. "I don't think a night in a cemetery is a good idea."

"I should certainly hope not." Rarity added, recoiling at the thought of setting hoof in a cemetery.

"We aren't looking for Gusty's earthly remains, just her spirit," Twilight reminded, activating her horn and producing a large purple cloud over the friendship map. "This spell that I am casting can detect living spirits in the afterlife."

"Is Granny Smith in there?!" Applejack excitedly asked. "Is she, Twilight?!"

Suddenly, Twilight motioned for Applejack to look at a green orb on the spot where Sweet Apple Acres was. Seeing her grandmother's spirit made Applejack feel slightly emotional.

"Take it easy, Applejack," Rainbow Dash advised, patting the Princess of Honesty on the shoulder. "Take it easy."

"So what do we do, Twilight?" Fluttershy asked.

"I propose we go into the spirit world and bring Gusty back here for this one mission," Twilight firmly answered, looking carefully at the spell she had cast on the map. "The fate of Equestria...is at stake."

"Going into the spirit world?!" Pinkie Pie gasped! "But isn't the spirit world where ponies go to die?"

"Yes, but under certain circumstances they can be temporarily brought back to life," Twilight explained, stamping her hoof down on the friendship map. "Take a look at the spell I cast on the map."

Doing as they were told, all the princesses looked down at the map. All saw floating dots representing the spirits of deceased ponies and creatures.

"Each dot represents a floating spirit that now resides in the heavenly Equestria, the afterlife" Twilight explained. "Gusty is among these spirits."

Just then, a white dot flashed on the spot where Canterlot Castle was located.

"Was that Princess Platinum?" Rarity asked. "And she's living in Canterlot in the other life?! I'm so jealous!"

A pink dot flashed as Pinkie looked towards the spot on Sugarcube Corner. "Chancellor Puddinghead must like cupcakes," She remarked, already fantasizing about meeting the Chancellor. "What I wouldn't give to sit down with her and have cookies and donuts."

"Look, I get that we all want to see the ones who went before us," Twilight spoke up. "But just remember whom it is we are seeking...Gusty the Great."

"And where is Gusty supposed to be?" Rainbow Dash asked. "Which of these dots does she represent?"

Twilight looked all over the map "I can't tell," She said while squinting tightly. "But this is the one and only way by which we can seek her out…"

Immediately, Spike stood up at what his big sister was about to say. "And how do you propose we do that, Twilight?"

"There is only one pony who can help us," Twilight replied. "And she just so happens to live here in this castle, and help take care of it while I am in Canterlot."

...

Knowing what needed to be done, Twilight made her way next door to the School of Friendship just as the day was coming to an end. Once the students had all left, Twilight made her way to Luna's classroom and knocked on the door.

"Come in!" Luna called and Twilight stepped into the classroom as Luna was packing her things up at her desk. "Oh, Twilight. I wasn't expecting to see you until later."

"Hi, Luna. This may seem like an inopportune time to ask as I know you are getting ready to leave, but it's important." Twilight greeted.

Sensing the concern in her younger sister figure's voice, Luna stopped what she was doing and gave Twilight her undivided attention. "Of course, Twilight," She offered. "Even though I live next door and…"

"-I have to ask you," Twilight interrupted in a gentle voice. "My friends and I have made a decision."

"What decision?" Luna asked, sitting down behind her desk and undoing the bun in her flowing mane.

"There is only one way we can win this war against Grogar," Twilight said. "We need to go into the spirit world and bring back Gusty the Great."

Luna sat back in her chair silently and took in what Twilight had just said, trying to process how to respond. "Twilight Sparkle," She sighed, lowering her head slightly. "Are you sure that this is what you and your friends wish to do? Gusty has been dead for as long as I can remember."

"We have to take this chance, Luna!" Twilight firmly declared. "She's the only one who can help us. I mean, you've been to the spirit world before haven't you?"

Luna reluctantly answered. "Yes, but…"

Twilight could sense that Luna was keeping something from her. "What is it, Luna? Please, you have to tell me!"

"The gatekeeper of the spirit world also happens to be a creature that I created, a creature that you helped me to defeat." Luna confessed

Twilight's eyes widened with shock and her jaw dropped!

"The tantabus?!" Spike cried as he and Twilight were in the library. "Since when did the tantabus get mixed up in all of this?"

"The tantabus was exiled to the spirit world after its defeat and forced to serve as gatekeeper," Twilight explained, as she looked through her book of memories to the moment when Luna confronted the tantabus. "Do you remember that after Luna forgave herself, we had the tantabus extracted from her body and sent away? There was only one place it could go when it no longer dwelt inside of Luna. A place where it could no longer have a chance of escaping into the real world."

"Still can't believe we even did that," Spike remarked. "And now we're seeking it's help in seeking Gusty the Great? You're forcing Luna to reface her past again! You must be out of your mind!"

"Not exactly, Spike," Twilight protested. "Gusty the Great is the only one who will know how to defeat Grogar. Confronting the Tantibus was never part of my plan until I learned it was the gatekeeper."

"Twilight, I really think we should think of something else here," Spike cautioned. "You saw how difficult it was for Luna to let go of her past last time."

"But I also saw how resilient she was in doing so," Twilight said, shutting the book. "We need to face the Tantabus again, and seek it's help in getting Gusty the Great back to help us. I see no other way."

Not wanting to be anymore a part of the conversation, Spike decided to leave the library. "Twilight, I want to support you on this decision, but…" He sighed, stopping at the door and turning to her. "You know better than to disturb the dead. And what if Gusty doesn't wish to help us?"

"She will help us, Spike! Against Grogar of all creatures, how could she pass up the chance?" Twilight declared. "Only if she refuses to help will I know that I made the wrong choice."

This made Spike stay at his friend's side, but he could only wonder what Twilight was thinking at that point in time. "So what happens now?"

"Tell the rest of us to meet me tonight after sunset," Twilight ordered. "We all have to do this together."

And so, reluctantly, Spike left the library to carry out Twilight's orders.

When Twilight lowered the sun and raised the moon, all she could think of was hoping that Gusty would join their cause. It made sense to her seeing as Gusty was the one who defeated Grogar before, and would be more than willing to defeat him again, at least in Twilight's mind.

Once the moon was in position, Twilight returned to the Castle of Friendship's throne room and saw her friends were all gathered along with Celestia and Luna.

"You all know your presence here is voluntary," Twilight reminded them. "If you wish to leave now, you may do so," She waited for an answer or an objection, but no one said anything and so she continued. "Thank you for joining me," She went on, before looking over to Celestia. "Um, Celestia, are you sure you wish to join us? You have no power over the realm of sleep."

"That's not true," Celestia said while turning to Luna and giving her a look. "I do have some power now thanks to Starlight. It's a lingering side effect of the swap. Plus, that swap made me realize I was foolish to relinquish full control over the dream realm. Besides, you are my daughter-figure. There is no way I would let you do this all alone."

Having heard this from her mother-figure, Twilight stepped forward and looked over to Luna, who took a gulp and activated her alicorn powers.

"Is everypony ready?" Luna asked and everyone nodded. Closing their eyes, all felt Luna's energies envelop them. Ssoon, in a flash of light, all found themselves in what looked like Ponyville, but the town was now inhabited by ponies and creatures that had once been amongst the living.

"Is this the spirit world?" Applejack asked, admiring the surroundings that they were now in. "I've never seen these ponies before."

"These are all ponies who lived long before any of you were born," Luna explained. "Now come, we must seek out Gusty the Great."

Immediately, Twilight couldn't help but notice Luna's distressed look as they walked through the spiritual town square. Soon, they passed Sugarcube Corner and there in the shop was a pink pony wearing a pudding hat.

"Sorry," Pinkie excitedly apology. "I've got to go! No way I'm missing this chance!" Dashing into the shop, Pinkie hastily grabbed a cupcake and joined Chancellor Puddinghead at the table. "Chancellor Puddinghead, such a super duper delight to meet you!" She squeaked. "I played you once and…"

"Ohh, so you are the one who portrayed me for that pay on Hearth's Warming Eve? Did everypony like it?" The chancellor

"They sure did," Pinkie answered, her eyes catching one of the cupcakes on the table. "I mean, not everypony was interested, but…"

"Pinkie, what are you doing?! We can't take a cupcake break!" Rainbow Dash cried from afar! "We've got to find Gusty the Great!"

"Who are these guys?" Chancellor Puddinghead muttered. "I don't have enough cupcakes for them."

"They are my friends and fellow princesses, silly!" Pinkie declared in a joyful voice, much to Chancellor Puddinghead's confusion. "Oh, didn't anypony tell you? I'm a princess now!"

"Yeah," Puddinghead sheepishly replied while nodding his head. "So, who or what did you in?"

"No one and nothing did us in, Chancellor," Twilight explained. "We actually are from the land of the living and…"

"-You mean you used to be from the land of the living, right?" Puddinghead insisted. " All right, be honest. Who did you in? Was it that mean goat?"

"Grogar? No, he didn't kill us or set some kind of illness upon us!" Applejack cried in protest. "He's back and is plannin' to take back Equestria for himself!"

"In fact, he's declared war!" Rarity added, leaping forward and clutching Puddinghead's shoulders. "Please, you've got to help us find Gusty!"

Suddenly, Rarity felt herself pulled by Celestia's aura as Twilight stepped forward.

"Chancellor, this is really important," Twilight firmly declared as she approached the table. "Grogar is already launching attacks on Equestria and we have to stop him before he goes another step further!"

"Okay, it seems like you really do want to seek Gusty's help, don't you?" Puddinghead asked.

"Does it look like we have a choice?" Applejack snorted. "I don't want that goat and his goons messin' up my farm! In fact, my grandmother is buried on the grounds!"

"If you are looking for Gusty," Chancellor Puddinghead explained. "Chances are, you'll have to seek out the head honcho around here."

"Do you mean…?" Luna asked as she suddenly felt a sudden chill down her spine and a shadowy black figure hovered behind her and the others. "No, it can't be!"

"Um, I think I'd better be going now," Chancellor Puddinghead nervously declared as he stood up. "Hi, Mr. Tantabus, sir! Lovely day, isn't it?"

As Chancellor Puddinghead magically disappeared, Twilight and the others stared at the cloaked dark figure.

Twilight and the others looked up at the Tantabus nervously, but no one was more nervous than Luna. The creature of her creation was standing before them.

"So, we meet again," Luna remarked, taking a gulp. "The creature of my own making."

The Tantabus looked over at Luna with a firm glance, before turning back to Twilight and bowing its head in respect of the supreme princess. "Your highness," It acknowledged. "The ruler of the living Equestria."

"Ain't that a shock?" Applejack whispered to Rarity in a hushed tone. "It knows who Twilight is?"

"I understand you have a request to make of me," It remarked. "You wish to bring the one known as Gusty the Great back to the land of the living?"

Twilight was briefly taken aback by this confession. Up until that moment, neither she or her friends were aware that the Tantabus was omnipotent.

"And before you ask why," The Tantabus added. "I have the gift of knowledge from my creator." He then turned to Luna, who backed away slightly, only for Celestia to push her back towards it with her wing.

"Yes, we are seeking Gusty the Great," Twilight firmly explained. "Grogar has returned to Equestria and has declared war."

"Grogar is free?!" The Tantabus remarked in a confused voice. "Grogar is a monster. If we do not hurry, your homeworld is doomed. Follow me. I shall take you to Gusty the Great."

Turning into a shadow, the Tantabus floated out of Sugarcube Corner and Twilight reluctantly followed.

But Luna was still uneased by seeing her creation. "Celestia, it knows too much," She whispered, looking over at her big sister as they proceeded through the other world's version of Ponyville square. "How can that be?!"

"Well, you were a creature of knowledge, Luna. Never forget whose knowledge it inherited." Celesita explained.

Proceeding behind the Tantabus, the group was led to an all too familiar place for Twilight and Spike...it was a stumpy tree that had an all too familiar setting.

"Tantabus, is this the Golden Oak Library?!" Twilight asked, shocked at what she was seeing.

"Of course it is, Twilight, it's got everything from the interior to the beehive," Spike added. "Spooky."

Manifesting in front of the group, the Tantabus looked over at them. "The library was reborn in this world and it has become the home of Gusty the Great ever since." It then motioned for Twilight to step forward.

Nervously, Twilight obliged.

"Do you think Gusty really lives here?" Pinkie asked, catching the Tantabus by surprise. "I mean...these trees don't grow overnight."

"In the spirit world anything is possible," The Tantabus replied. "I have made it my purpose to make anything possible for whoever comes here. That has been my responsibility since I became the gatekeeper."

Taking a deep breath, Twilight knocked on the door three times and a few moments later, a white colored unicorn mare with a flowing ivy green mane emerged from the other side. "Who might you be, man?" Gusty asked, causing all to be taken slightly aback.

"Gusty the Great?" Twilight acknowledged. "I am Princess Twilight Sparkle, the Supreme Ruler of Equestria."

"Ay Caramba, so you are," Gusty chuckled. "The Tantabus here told me so much about you."

"Did it?" Twilight asked. "And why are you living here...in my old library?"

"Needed to go somewhere, man," Gusty answered. "Can't be a wandering spirit forever, man. Come on in, man."

Despite being slightly distrubed by the constant use of 'man' Gusty's sentences, Twilight followed her into the library with her friends right behind.

"Um, Gusty," Twilight asked. "What is this word you keep using? 'Man'"?

"It's a bit of lingo I use," Gusty answered as they walked right up to the fireplace at the further end of the library. "Care for anything? Any soda or booze?"

"I don't think any of them drink that, Gusty." The Tantabus replied.

Just then, Twilight looked up at a picture of Gusty staring down Grogar in what appeared to be a confrontation. "Gusty, I'm sure that the Tantabus briefed you on what has happened?"

"He's returned hasn't he?" Gusty inquired. "Grogar is back?"

"Yes, and he's going to make us bow to him if you don't help us," Rarity pleaded. "There's so much at stake if we lose!"

"You'll have to excuse her, Ms. Great," Rainbow Dash acknowledged, flying in front of Gusty. "Rarity can be a little over dramatic at times."

"Eh, I'm used to it," Gusty remarked, shrugging her shoulders at Rainbow Dash. "I'm also used to how Grogar acts. The guy is dangerous. I should know, I fought against him." As Gusty spoke, she walked up the stairs to her bedroom and came back down holding what appeared to be a large red book.

"What is that?" Twilight asked.

"A diary I have kept since I passed on," Gusty answered. "You aren't the only one who published a journal, Princess Twilight."

Looking at the journal, Twilight was stunned to see that it was the same journal that Maa had shown her. "This is the same journal that Maa had!" She gasped. "Where did you get this?"

"Maa asked if I could make copies to share with the other spirits. Apparently, she wants to ensure that Grogar is brought back to the spirit world in one piece," Gusty explained. "She also thinks that Grogar is a good dude. But I don't believe that for a second, man."

"He isn't a good soul, at least not now," Twilight protested. "He's dangerous and we must do whatever we can to stop him. In fact, he's recruited our greatest enemies to join in his conquest."

"Sombra's his second in command." Applejack added.

"Tirek, Cozy Glow and Chrysalis have been freed from stone." Rarity chimed in.

"And he's got a mean old bear!" Pinkie Pie concluded. "A really mean old teddy bear!"

"You mean, Scarface?" Gusty remarked, turning to a section of the book that showed Grogar and Scarface. "Took him in after killing the wolf king. Apparently, Scarface was an orphan...his mother killed by a hunter."

Stepping back slightly, Twilight absorbed what had been said and immediately understood that both Grogar and his pet had one thing in common. "So both their mothers were killed?"

"Indeed," Gusty replied. "But I can't sympathize with Grogar or his pet. Not after what they've done."

"And those donkeys, what about them?" Fluttershy asked.

Turning to another section of the book, Gusty showed them the picture of a small village that was once inhabited by donkeys. "The donkeys used to live in a village not far from Ponyville, called San Donkeyo. They were a poor village and Grogar promised them riches if they would serve him." Gusty explained.

"Promises that obviously weren't kept." Spike remarked.

"Gusty, you can see why we need your help," Twilight pleaded as Gusty placed the book on the base of the unicorn statue in the center of the library. "I've read this journal and the more I remember, the more help my friends and I need to stop Grogar."

"Of course you do!" Gusty declared. I can never truly rest in peace until Grogar is defeated once and for all, man!"

"So what do we do now?" Luna asked as Gusty activated her magic and gathered several more books along with several swords and shields.

"We return to your world," Gusty declared. "And prepare for our fight with Grogar. If you are going to defeat him, you are going to need some help. Tantabus, take care of things while I am gone."

"At once." The Tantabus acknowledged as it disappeared.

Activating her magic, Twilight transported herself, her friends and Gusty out of the spirit world and back to the world of the living.

They all had returned, but Gusty found herself in a very familiar position. Opening her eyes, she found herself in an earthly form. "Am I back, man?" she asked, trying to get to her feet.

"You are back in Equestria, Gusty," Twilight answered, helping Gusty to her feet. "Welcome to my Castle of Friendship."

All Gusty could do was take in what she was seeing before the real training was about to begin.

...

PreviousChapters Next