• Published 10th Apr 2021
  • 2,352 Views, 203 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 13 - twilightsparkle3562



Welcome to Season 13 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

  • ...
12
 203
 2,352

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 8: "A Hen into the Wild"

Author's Note:

Episode Summary: Fluttershy takes in a young hen and her duckling son after saving them from a rabid weasel.

Cast:

Andrea Libman as Fluttershy

John De Lancie as Discord

Stacey DePass as Leafie

Xander Berkley as One Eye

Brian Dobson as Guard Pony #1

Nicole Oliver as Dr. Fauna

"My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" Season 13, Episode 8

"A Hen Into the Wild"

Written by Jeff Snyder (TwilightSparkle3562)

Edited by SuperPinkBrony12

All she could do was run for her life through the Everfree Forest. Being a chicken, she could run fast. But this was different for this chicken. She had a weasel on her tail, with a look of hunger on its face. Taking shelter behind a tree, the chicken looked down at the small baby bird she had in her wings. "It's okay baby," She panted in a hushed voice, looking out to see if the weasel was no longer in view. "It's okay. I'll get you out of this…somehow."

Just then, the chicken poked out from behind her hiding spot to see a glowing eye from behind one of the bushes. Taking a nervous gulp, the chicken sharply turned away and realized that she was trapped and there was nowhere left to run. The next move she could make would be her last.

"Come out, come out, wherever you are!" She heard the voice of the weasel cry out in a taunting voice. "Not like there's anywhere for you to go."

Hearing the weasel's voice caused the chicken to shake with fear. She needed to get out of this situation and fast! Suddenly, the chicken saw a small light in the distance at the edge of the forest! Looking down at the baby bird in her possession, she closed her eyes and prepared for the daring escape she was about to make.

But before she could move, the weasel came out from the bushes, his teeth sharpening and his one eye glowing right at the chicken's chest. "Well, well, well, chicken," The weasel laughed as he advanced towards the chicken. "There's nowhere left to run!"

Knowing that she still had an opportunity, the chicken closed her eyes and bent down.

"Come here!" The weasel growled, letting out a sharp yell! But the chicken jumped over the weasel and ran towards the light. "You won't escape from me, chicken!"

Panting loudly, the chicken ran further and further towards the light, not knowing who or what was the source.

Meanwhile, Fluttershy was fast asleep in her bed when she suddenly began to get a feeling all over her body. Slowly opening her eyes, she turned her attention over to Angel Bunny, who was lying in his basket next to her. "Angel?" She whispered, trying to get the baby bunny's attention. "Angel!" Trying to sleep, Angel pulled down his ears and turned on his stomach. "Angel! Do you hear something?"

Not wanting to keep her number one pet from getting a decent sleep, Fluttershy walked over to her bedroom window and began to hear a faint sound of growling in the forest behind her cottage. "Oh no!" Fluttershy whimpered and without a sudden urge, she darted out of her bedroom going faster and faster towards the back door of her cottage.

This caught the attention of one of her guardsponies who was guarding the back door. Seeing the door open, he stopped her from going further. "Your highness, what are you doing?" He asked, holding his spear out to stop Fluttershy.

"Let me through!" Fluttershy cried. "There's a creature in trouble out there! I command you to let me pass!"

But the guard wasn't convinced until he suddenly heard a sharp growl and saw a chicken race out of the forest with a one-eyed weasel right behind.

As the chicken struggled against the clutches of the weasel, the guardspony allowed Fluttershy to pass. Taking to the air, Fluttershy opened her eyes and used her animal disciplinarian technique known as "The Stare". This caused the weasel to become entranced immediately.

"Capture the weasel!" Fluttershy cried to her guardspony in a commanding voice. "Now!"

Acting on her orders, the guardspony immediately detained the weasel by containing it in its aura. With the weasel secured, Fluttershy turned her attention to the chicken and the young baby still clutched in her wings.

"It's okay," Fluttershy whispered to the chicken. "You're safe now." But the chicken was still too frightened to acknowledge Fluttershy and the Princess of Kindness realized that this chicken had psychological damage that was not an easy fix.

Looking down at the frightened chicken, the first thing Fluttershy needed to do was to get her away from the weasel.

"Your highness, what shall I do with the weasel?" The guardspony asked.

"Cage him for now," Fluttershy answered while looking over to the weasel still entrapped in the guard's aura. "I'll deal with him later."

Turning her attention down to the chicken, Fluttershy attempted to touch her, but the chicken pulled away. "Don't touch me!" The chicken cried, her eyes still closed tightly. "Don't touch my baby! Just leave us alone!"

Slightly taken aback, Fluttershy felt nothing but sympathy for the chicken. But she needed to get the chicken and her baby inside the cottage where they would be safe. Just then, Fluttershy noticed that the chicken was not only shivering but sweating as well.

"Listen to me," Fluttershy whispered, bending down on the chicken's level. "Open your eyes. I'm not going to hurt you."

Slowly opening her eyes, the chicken looked up at Fluttershy with a blank expression, partially due to her frozen fear. "What…what do you want with me?" The chicken asked, but Fluttershy didn't answer. Instead, she gently picked up the chicken and her baby with her forelegs and standing on her hind legs, carried them into her cottage.

Terrified, the chicken began to tremble even more in fear as Fluttershy began to feel the chicken's sweat dripping onto her body.

Once inside the cottage, Fluttershy laid the chicken down on her back on the kitchen table and turned on a lantern to inspect the chicken for any injuries.

"Please…don't hurt me, whoever you are," The chicken whispered. "I just want to protect my baby!"

"Why would I want to hurt you?" Fluttershy remarked as she took a damp washcloth and placed it on the chicken's forehead. "I found you being hunted by that weasel. He would have killed you had I not found you."

"He killed his parents," The chicken gasped with her eyes locked on Fluttershy. "I wasn't going to let him take my baby!"

Right away, Fluttershy began to diagnose the chicken's profusion sweating. "Well, I promise that I will do everything I can to protect you," Fluttershy promised, feeling slightly confused. "But I can't help but wonder something. What were you doing out in the woods?"

"Well…" The chicken gasped. "I…I was tired of my past life. I didn't want to spend the rest of my life in a chicken coop. I just knew I had to go somewhere else, somewhere safe."

Turning her attention over to the baby bird, Fluttershy inspected it for any injuries, but couldn't help but notice that this baby bird looked different from the chicken. "How is he?" The chicken asked.

"He's fine," Fluttershy stammered. "But there's something different about him. He's…"

"-He's not like me," The chicken interrupted in a gasping voice as she slightly sneezed. "I was told to take care of him by his father…before he was killed by that weasel."

Looking down, Fluttershy placed her hoof on the baby bird. "He's a duckling," She declared in a shocked voice. "You mean this is your adoptive…?"

"Yes," The chicken cried with tears forming in the corners of her eyes. "He's my son!"

Immediately, Fluttershy was stunned by this revelation. She had rescued a chicken raising a small duckling!

The next morning, Fluttershy had the chicken and the duckling placed in a small basket next to Angel Bunny, who suddenly felt drips of sweat on his back, causing him to wake up and stare at the chicken. Slightly confused, he turned over to Fluttershy with a shocked expression.

"Now Angel," Fluttershy cautioned as she climbed out of bed. "She's only to be with us temporarily. Please be respectful."

To Angel Bunny, that was easier said than done as he curiously went over to inspect the small duckling.

But just before he could touch the duckling, the chicken used one of her claws to pin Angel Bunny to the floor! "Keep away from my baby!" She cried in an angry voice, causing Angel Bunny to cower slightly. Releasing her grip on Angel Bunny, the chicken turned her attention over to Fluttershy, who had heard what just happened. "You hear me?!"

"Calm down," Fluttershy cried as she raced over to the chicken. "Angel may be mischievous but he was just curious about your baby."

Looking over to the duckling, the chicken saw him climb out of the bed and wander around, trying to get a sense of his surroundings. "He's been through enough," The chicken cried to Fluttershy. "Look at him!"

But Fluttershy saw nothing wrong with the baby duckling in terms of serious injuries. "He wasn't hurt badly from what I can see," Fluttershy said in a reassured voice as the chicken got up. "In fact, you are very lucky to be alive, uh…uh…"

"Leafie, my name is Leafie." The chicken said as she walked over to collect her duckling charge.

"Okay, Leafie," Fluttershy said. "Either way, you are very lucky to both be alive. Had we not rescued you from the weasel…"

"Where is he?" Leafie asked as she suddenly let out another sneeze. "Where did you take him?"

"Somewhere where he won't hurt you and your young," Fluttershy replied. "But you're safe here until we find your home."

"I don't want to go back to where I was," Leafie protested, suddenly letting out another sneeze. "I want to put it all behind me. My old land was dominated by monsters from the king of monsters himself, Grogar. That weasel was one of his worst creations."

Just then, Fluttershy heard a knock on the door as a guardspony came into her quarters. "Your highness?" He asked while peeking into the bedroom. "The veterinarian has been summoned."

"Good," Fluttershy acknowledged. "Have her meet me at the sanctuary."

The guard nodded. "Of course."

Hearing this, Leafie suddenly became scared again. "What are you doing?!"

"I just want Dr. Fauna to take a look at you, Leafie," Fluttershy instructed. "You've been sneezing a lot and I feel that you being away from your home might have something to do with it."

All Leafie could do was shake some more, fearing what was possibly going to happen.

Making her way over to Sweet Feather Sanctuary, Fluttershy placed Leafie on a wooden table while the rest of the animals looked on at what was happening. "This is my own sanctuary, Leafie. My dream come true," Fluttershy told her. "This is where all my animal friends live."

Leafie gulped. "Are they all…?"

"Most of them are friendly," Fluttershy chuckled. "But they all came here to make a new living for themselves."

At that moment, a bright flash in front of Fluttershy and Leafie revealed Discord wearing farmer's attire and holding a bucket of scraps. "Of course they do," Discord declared. "Oh, Fluttershy. Who do you want me to give these scraps to? You know, aside from the pigs."

"Well, I think the boars would like them," Fluttershy nodded and then gestured to the chicken. "Discord, this is Leafie. Leafie, this is Discord."

Discord placed his lion paw on Leafie and immediately felt the perspiration of sweat coming out of her. "Seems to me like this chicken is not of this world," He declared, producing half of a magnifying glass. "Where exactly did you find this chicken, Fluttershy?"

"A weasel tried to attack her and her adopted baby duckling last night," Fluttershy answered. "I just want Dr. Fauna to look them over to make sure there's nothing wrong with them."

"Do you mean that weasel caged in your basement?" Discord questioned. "I've heard about weasels, they are sneaky and extremely dangerous creatures to mess around with."

As Discord spoke, Leafie let out another sneeze and Fluttershy placed a hoof on Leafie's forehead. "Oh my!" She cried while letting out a yelp of pain! "You're running a fever!"

"A fever?" Discord remarked. "It can't be! It's not hot out today!"

To prove his point, Discord pulled the sun towards him and shined it right on the animal sanctuary. "Discord!" Fluttershy cried out in a stern voice and Discord returned the sun to its place in the sky.

"All right, all right," Discord remarked. "I'll go feed the boars. Honestly, I don't know why you keep two sets of pigs when I have one half of my magic. I'm surprised Grogar hasn't already figured out what to do with the other half." With a snap of his lion paw, he disappeared and left Fluttershy alone with Leafie.

At that moment, Dr. Fauna arrived on the scene escorted by two of Fluttershy's guards.

"Thanks for coming, Dr. Fauna." Fluttershy cheerfully greeted.

"It's my pleasure, Fluttershy," The vet replied. "So this chicken, you say you found her being attacked by a weasel?"

"Yes, last night," Fluttershy answered as Dr. Fauna placed her stethoscope on her ears. "I was lucky to get her when I did. Her name is Leafie by the way."

Dr. Fauna blinked. "Leafie?"

Fluttershy nodded. "Yes, she told me as much. And this is her adopted offspring," Fluttershy showed Dr. Fauna the small duckling "His parents were killed by the same weasel."

"Shameful," Dr. Fauna sighed as she began to examine Leafie, placing the stethoscope on Leafie's chest to listen for a heartbeat. "All right, give me some deep breaths."

Leafie gave Dr. Fauna some deep breaths, only to cough a few times. Dr. Fauna then proceeded to feel Leafie's stomach. "Bowel movements seem slightly out of place," Dr. Fauna remarked, taking the stethoscope off. "From the looks of it, this is a domesticated chicken that intentionally strayed away from wherever she came from. Do you know of anypony that might be missing a chicken?"

Fluttershy shook her head. "The only one I know who raises chickens is Applejack, but I've never seen Leafie there before. If I did, I would have known immediately."

Dr. Fauna then proceeded to look through Leafie's feathers and she saw bite and claw marks from the weasel. "Oh dear," She muttered with a concerned look on her face. "The marks here…they are from a rabid animal."

"As in…rabies?!" Fluttershy gasped in horror! All Dr. Fauna could do was nod her head in confirmation of Fluttershy's worst fear not just for Leafie, but of her animals as well. "Oh, my!"

Fluttershy had no idea of what to expect. The chicken she had rescued was now possibly infected! "Rabies in my animal sanctuary?! This is bad! Very, very bad!" She began to pace back and forth!

"Well, rabies can be prevented," Dr. Fauna advised, causing Fluttershy to stop pacing. "Tell me, have you ever considered having every animal here vaccinated against rabies and other infectious diseases?"

"Well, I'd considered it even before I became a princess," Fluttershy answered as she walked over to Leafie and stroked the top of her head. "But I just haven't had the time to think about it."

"I would strongly recommend it, Fluttershy," Dr. Fauna advised as she pulled out a syringe from her medical bag. "Rabies is a dangerous disease and if it spreads, it would not be a good thing for every animal here. If they got infected and then attacked somepony, they could contract it too, and that would be a whole new problem."

Fluttershy then watched the vet take a vial containing the vaccine out of the bag. Seeing what was happening, Leafie became nervous.

"If you could just roll her on her side, Fluttershy…" Dr. Fauna encouraged, and Fluttershy gently rolled Leafie over on her right side while Dr. Fauna gently rubbed alcohol on Leafie's wing. "This will only hurt for a second or two, it's for your own good."

Closing her eyes, Leafie felt the needle go into her wing for a second.

"Great job, Leafie. You were very brave." Fluttershy whispered as Leafie let out another sneeze.

"Now, Fluttershy," Dr. Fauna declared. "About this weasel you captured…where is he?"

"He's under guard in my basement, why?" Fluttershy asked with concern.

Dr. Fauna sighed. "Well, I hate to say this with Equestria being at war and all, but…"

Fluttershy could tell on the look of Dr. Fauna's face that something was about to be aired and it wasn't a very good something. "I think the weasel needs to be put down."

Fluttershy took an enormous gulp upon hearing those words "Put…down? But, what if the weasel has young? What if he…?"

"What if he bites another one of your animals?" Dr. Fauna declared. "The virus will spread like wildfire and soon ponies will end up getting it. Plus, rabies can do terrible things to the animals that contract it."

Fluttershy realized that as one of the princesses of Equestria, it was her duty to protect her subjects from any threat. "Very well then," Fluttershy sighed. "I'll take you to him."

Honoring Dr. Fauna's request, Fluttershy led the veterinarian down into the basement, only to be stopped by Discord. "Fluttershy, what's going on here?" He asked. "I was feeding the boars when I felt a strange vibe."

"I have to put a rabid animal down, Discord," Fluttershy solemnly replied to her chaotic friend. "The last thing Equestria needs right now is an outbreak of rabies. Keep an eye on Leafie and her duckling until I get back." She declared, leaving Discord alone with the sick Leafie who coughed up some more and began shivering.

Leafie then opened her eyes and began to feel scared of Discord. "Who are you?"

"Shh, shh, shh. It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you," Discord whispered. "I'm a friend of Princess Fluttershy's."

Leafie was anything but convinced. "A friend?"

"It's a long story, but…Fluttershy wants me to protect you, so…" Snapping his fingers, half of a police uniform was placed on Discord, much to Leafie's confusion. After she let out another sneeze, Discord then proceeded to produce half of personal protective equipment. "Hey, you don't want me getting sick, don't you?" Discord remarked.

Down in the basement of Fluttershy's cottage, the caged one eyed weasel paced nervously back and forth while he was flanked by two guards. His solitude was interrupted with the arrival of Fluttershy and Dr. Fauna.

"Good," The weasel muttered, thinking he was going to be freed. "I suppose you came to get me out of here."

"Mr. Weasel," Fluttershy solemnly declared. "You have an illness that is dangerous to other animals. To that end, there is only one course of action."

A few moments later, there was silence as Dr. Fauna placed a hoof on Fluttershy.

"It's over, Fluttershy," Dr. Fauna whispered. "It's over."

"What do you wish us to do, your highness?" A guard asked.

"Have him buried in the cemetery behind the sanctuary," Fluttershy answered. "He may have been evil, but he is an animal nonetheless. He deserves a proper burial."

Returning to the sanctuary a moment later, Fluttershy saw Discord anxiously awaiting her return.

"How is she, Discord?" Fluttershy asked.

"Fine, just sneezing up a storm, if you ask me," Discord said, wiping away the half of a visor he had on his face. "Okay, not a literal storm, but still…"

"Leafie," Fluttershy said, bending down at her level. "Are you sure that you don't want to leave here?"

"Fluttershy…I can't go back to the life I used to live," Leafie whispered. "I want my adopted son to grow up among creatures who will care about him as much as I do."

"But you can't do it alone in the wild," Fluttershy cautioned. "If you do, then you are going to be more sicker than you already are. Besides, all the animals here are friendly and they will accept you and your son for who you are."

Leafie then saw her duckling son clutch himself onto Discord's goat leg, much to the chaotic creature's confusion.

"That's funny," Discord remarked as he looked down at the duckling. "I never expected to be huggable."

After sharing a brief chuckle, Leafie then thought of something else. "You know, it's funny," She declared. "I never thought of giving my adopted son a name."

"Oh? What were you thinking?" Fluttershy asked.

"His father's name was Wilson," Leafie declared. "So, maybe that's what I will call him…Willie."

So, Leafie now accepted the fate that she and her son had in front of them now. She was now going to live her days with her son in Fluttershy's sanctuary.

"Sounds like a good name to me. Here he'll be safe from Grogar's monsters." Fluttershy smiled as she welcomed the newest member of her animal sanctuary.

PreviousChapters Next