• Published 16th Jul 2021
  • 7,571 Views, 111 Comments

Midnight's Arrow - Hydreigon_Omega



I am stuck in equestria as a shiny rowlet. It’s not all that bad, at least I am Luna’s favorite pet now.

  • ...
23
 111
 7,571

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

After writing this chapter, I now know how hard it is to constantly write bird sounds other than “who” or “tweet”

Where am I?

Why am I so thirsty?

Huh, is this water?

Looking down I saw water right below me, my body was so dehydrated that it overpowered the higher functions of my brain. I couldn’t help myself, even if it was somehow poisoned or contaminated, it tasted like the best thing I ever drank. I felt the cold fluid flow through my body as it slowly woke me up. Now that I’m awake, I can answer my first question. There were trees, flowers, all of which were completely nicely kept. Apparently wherever I am is some sort of garden, and an expensive looking one from the likes of it.

But closer around me were modeled cement birds, which only meant one thing, I was in a massive bird bath! I looked down and whatever my reflection was, it wasn’t human. My body’s natural instinct made me jump in terror from what I saw. By the time I regained control back from my instinct, I already slipped and fell off the edge.

I heard a small snapping sound when I hit the ground. I was glad that it was just a twig I landed on, but the fall still hurt nonetheless. Now that I am alone, I was able to know the truth. I am truly no longer human, but now I am a rowlet. When I stretched out my arms, or rather wings, it was then that I realized that I didn’t just break that stick.


It was late at night when Luna decided to take a small walk through the royal gardens, her sister recommended it to her for rare nights of insomnia. So many thoughts swirled in her head, it had only been about a month since her return, but she still felt so alone. Now that she had been gone for a thousand years, many of what used to be her duties suddenly were forced upon her sister, and now Celestia had even less time to spend with her.

Luna couldn’t help but blame herself for this, maybe if she had just controlled herself all those years ago, something might have happened that would’ve allowed her to step out of her sister’s shadow and into the light. Every time she saw the moon, it was a constant reminder of this, her deeds that she committed. She found it painful yet somehow humorous that the princess of the night would be ashamed of her own moon.

Somehow, she didn’t see how this would help clear her mind, if anything, the garden only filled her with only more grief over her past actions. Luna closed her eyes, wanting to only block out those memories, but to no avail. Right before Luna went back into the castle, she heard a cracking sound.

“Who's there!?” She shouted, the only response she got was a small flock of birds flying away in fear.

She knew that it may have been a rabbit or some large rodent, but just as likely, it could have been an assassin sent to kill some noble. Despite this fearful thought, her curiosity took over her as she began to walk further into the garden. She made sure to keep her eyes peeled for any potential threats. She turned the corner where the sound came from, but there was no pony there.

“brrrr?”

Luna heard the sound of a confused bird not too long after she arrived in this section of the garden. When she looked down she saw a mint colored owl looking back up at her with a confused expression, almost like it knew she wasn’t a threat but it had also never seen a pony before.

“Oh, hello there you little owl.” Luna said in a calming tone, “Why aren’t you with all your friends?”

“Huh?” the odd colored owl cooed in confusion.

Luna looked at the off colored owl, he didn’t seem very comfortable as something was keeping him from fully retracting his wing. Upon closer inspection, she noticed it was not supposed to be bending that way.

“Oh my, your wing is broken.” Luna said, “How did that happen?”

“Brr-e-ou” The small owl said in bird gibberish, almost as if he was trying to speak.

Luna looked down below the owlet, there was a broken stick. “You somehow broke your wing on this stick?”

Luna didn’t expect the mint color owl to give much of an answer, so when it nodded its head she was completely dumbfounded. Whether or not he was intelligent or got distracted by an insect for a moment didn’t matter. What did matter though, was that the small injured owl needed help.

“You poor thing, come here.” Luna said as she grabbed the owl in her magic, scaring him, “don’t worry I won’t hurt you.”

Luna’s comforting words work to no avail. The small owl only stopped squirming when he felt his claws rest on her back side. She could tell that the owl didn’t want to be held, but at the same time knew he was completely at her mercy.

Luna brought the small owl into her room so she could help him better than what she could’ve while outside. She walked over to her cabinet and pulled out a first aid kit her sister had given her. Though she was on the moon for a thousand years, she hadn’t forgotten the basics of first aid. She made a makeshift cast for the owl so his wing would be able to heal faster, even if she was a bit rusty, it was better than nothing.

“So how’s that?” Luna asked,

The owl looked at the new cast on his wing, while he may have been in mild discomfort, he gave a happy coo. Luna didn’t want to bring a wild bird into the castle and call it her pet, but at the same time the poor little owl needed help after he broke his wing. She knew that when he’d recover, Luna would have to release him back into the wild.

“You're probably going to need a name while you are recovering.” Luna said, “You may be here for a while.”

“Hm?” The owl hummed confusedly

He looked confused, not at what Luna said, but rather that something else was bothering him.


“So how about Otus?” The giant blue unicorn asked

“No” I replied, with a shake of my head

“Then how about Ace?”

“No, I know that’s not my name.”

“Then why don’t you try to come up with your own name if you’re going to deny ever Idea I come up with.” The large mare replied frustratedly

“Fine, I will.”

I really wanted to blurt out my own name, but I think I hit my head pretty hard. But now I am no longer human, so I don’t think it wouldn’t be fitting for me to use a human name. But what names would be good for a rowlet? Minty? Robbin hoot? Eh, probably not.

Wait! I know one!

“My name is Arrow!” I cried out


“Coo” The small owl said

“What was that?” Luna said, “I don’t understand you.”

“Who!” He was starting to get frustrated that there was a small language barrier between them.

“If you are not able to give me an answer,” Luna said, “we’ll just have to go with Ace instead.”

Luna looked at the owl hopefully, though she wasn’t sure if she was hopeful that he’d speak or that he couldn’t. Looking really disgruntled, the owlet inhaled a fairly large amount of air, before he opened his beak to speak.

“A-air..” to Luna it almost sounded as if he was choking, “R-r-row”

Luna couldn’t believe it, the mint colored owl really just spoke. Animal vocal chords are only meant to make certain sounds, but mimicking pony linguistics was nearly impossible for a wild animal to do.

“Arrow?”

The young owl nodded, affirming that was in fact his name. Luna didn’t know where to be amused, impressed, or terrified that what she once thought was just a wild owl was actually intelligent and it wasn’t just her imagination. Luna let out a yawn as she felt her start to return to its sleepy state.

“It was a pleasure to help you Arrow,” Luna said as she yawned again, “but we must once again return to sleep, our body demands it.”

“Brrr?”

“Are you asking if you can sleep with us?” The owl nodded his head and Luna sighed. “We’ll make an exception for you this time, but expect to have your own bird swing by tomorrow night.”

The owl happily chirped as he hopped over to Luna’s bedside where she picked him up in her magic and brought him onto her bed. Arrow snuggled himself right up against Luna’s chest fluff, she slightly blushed not having had any physical interaction with any creature for so long. Being mindful of his broken wing, Luna wrapped her front leg around the rowlet as they drifted off into blissful sleep.