• Published 11th Mar 2021
  • 4,101 Views, 129 Comments

Sun's Butler - Hydreigon_Omega



After fleeing from the holy knights of Liones, Escanor finds himself in a land of talking ponies and ends up scoring a job as Celestia's Personal Servant

  • ...
14
 129
 4,101

Chapter 1

Escanor sat in an alleyway covered in dirt and the trash from the ponies which wandered the land. He had forgotten how he had been here but it no longer mattered to him. What he had once proudly called his fighting uniform was nothing more but torn rags, and a pair of oversized boots. He had started to grow facial hair from not being able to properly shave his face ever since he had arrived in Equestria.

The buttons that kept his sleeves were stolen from him seeing as how that was the only thing of value he had on him. He pulled out what was once his beloved poetry notebook as it was the only thing keeping him sane in this bizarre world.

His life was horrible, it was like being cast out of the Kingdom of Castellio all over again. His life was a cycle, something of minor enjoyment happens, he loses it and has nothing left, he wishes to die, and repeat. Escanor missed his friends, he missed the rest of the sins, especially Merlin. He would give all he had to return home, but he didn’t have much to give. Escanor took out a pen and began to write down his thoughts in a poem:

‘Oh bitterist gale, oh how you strike my heart,

Life and joy run overflowing down the trail,

Yet ‘tis only the sour wine you give to me,

The life I had once had has resumed its part,

All I wish before I see death's face is a small cup of ale,

For then it’ll rest easy on my heart when I cease to be.’

“Last page.” Escanor said, very saddened and disappointed at this, “I need some more paper,”

He crossed the street, all of the small ponies made way for him as they all despised him for being different. While they all walked on four hooves he had two feet, while they had magic and gifts, he appeared to have none. How wrong they were about that. Escanor entered the book shop, even though it was in the poorer parts of the town, it was still a store, he noticed that several of the ponies had become visibly uncomfortable. He approached the front counter, with only a simple request.

“Get lost ya monkey.” The stallion behind the counter said in a gruff tone. “Nopony wants ya here, would be best for you to wither away and begone”

“Please sir, I come not for food all I ask is that you can spare me a piece of paper.” Escanor pleaded as he fell to his knees, “please that’s all I ask.”

“You don’t have anything to pay with it,” he replied, “and even if you did, I wouldn’t serve your kind here even if they were the second most common race of equestria.”

“Please sir, if you can’t spare this old man some paper,” Escanor continued to plead, “then could you at least spare me some bread?”

With only a tilt of the stallion’s head, he had signaled the staff to begin dragging Escanor out of the shop. Escanor continued to plead all the while he was being dragged out, only to make a scene as he was thrown out to the road, landing face first in the ground bruising his face greatly. When he had landed he heard something break but only a few seconds later did it finally register to him.

“MY GLASSES!” Escanor shrieked as his left lens now had three cracks running through it. “These are the only pairs I have, I can’t believe I broke the pair Miss Merlin gave me!”

He began to cry his eyes out as he tried to keep his glasses from falling off. Once Escanor had recomposed himself, he began walking back to the alleyway he spent most of his time in, only to be knocked out of breath as he walked into what felt to be a soft and furry log. His vision was blurred by tears and damaged glass that he didn’t even see what had obstructed his path.

“Watch where you are going next time, foul creature.” It was the voice of a stallion, “You walked straight into the princess, you’ll be executed for that” Such a poor turn of events, he’d never thought that today would be the day he’d beg for his life.

“Shining armor,” A much more feminine voice said with a calm yet almost condescending tone, “While I do appreciate your concern for me, but look at the creature who you threatened, can you not see he is almost skin and bones, he also wears glasses so he may not see that well.” She turned her attention to Escanor, and in a much more caring voice asked, “tell me, what is your name?”

“If you ask to know what to put on my grave, you shouldn’t waste your time.” Escanor said as he hung his head low, averting her gaze, “It would be best if you go ahead and kill me now.”

The princess brought a hoof to lift his gaze to meet hers. “I wish for no harm to come to you,” She said, “So I’ll ask you again, what is your name?”

It’d been so long since anyone had treated him as an individual and not some sort of freak, he almost forgot the feeling once more. “My name is Escanor,” he said as he stood up to let out a stiff bow, “and m-may I know your name?”

“I am princess Celestia, I am the one who raises and lowers the sun every morning and evening.” She said, “It is not everyday I meet someone who I can speak with eye to eye.”

“I-it’s an h-honor to speak with you Princess Celestia.”

“I ask that you would come with me.” Celestia said, “I may find a use for you at the castle.”

‘Oh no, I’m going to die for public entertainment aren’t I?’ Escanor though, before he said “y-yes ma’am,”

“Guards go ahead and send a message with the chariot group that we’ll be taking an extra individual back with us.”

Following close behind her Escanor tried to spend what he thought was going to be his last few hours with pride. Celestia looked at him worriedly as she couldn’t help but see the fear and depression in his eyes. Those eyes were the same she saw whenever she looked in her reflection after banishing her sister. She didn’t wish this upon any creature if she could help it.

Getting on the chariot, Escanor sat down beside Celestia as who Escanor presumed was the captain of this world’s version of holy knights sat behind them staring daggers into the back of his head. The chariot didn’t make it that far before it began to fly off the ground, when it did so, Escanor was clutching onto his seat and the side railings of the chariot for dear life.

“Not a fan of heights?” Celestia asked worriedly, “If you rather us ride on the ground it’d only be a little while longer.”

“N-no I’m alright,” he was not alright, yet Celestia believed him

What felt like hours of holding on for dear life was only but a few minutes, when they landed Escanor thought that he had never been so happy to be on land again. He had shaky knees barely keeping himself standing. When they entered the castle its immense size dwarfed him.

“Sister? *Yawn* hast thou returned?” Another voice asked as hoof steps brought a blue pony into sight. Once she had looked eyes with Escanor a cold shiver ran down his spine. A blue aura wrapped around him and brought him to float right around the blue mare and began spinning him in several directions as she examined him. “An excotic pet? Male, no signs of utters. Fur? No, it's closer to hair and, garment? He must be hungry, quick, we shall go prepare food for him.”

‘At least this is better than dying.’

“LUNA,” Celestia snapped making the magical grasp drop Escanor, “He is not an exotic pet, he is a sentient creature like us.” She turned to Escanor who was laying on his back on the cold floor, “I’m sorry my little sister’s actions, she’s been acting like a little filly whenever she sees something that didn’t exist before her return.”

Luna looked down to Escanor who was laying on the ground, “We also apologize, for we have not seen of thou kind before, we should’ve acted more fairly to thoust.”

‘Old English?’ Escanor thought, as he got to his feet and dusted himself off, “It’s quite alright, really. I have no doubt you would’ve taken good of me if I was an exotic animal.”

“Now back to why I have brought you here.” Celestia said, “Do you know why you're here Escanor?”

A feeling of fear and terror overwhelmed, “I-i uh, d-d-do-on’t know your majesty.”

“Well let's say because of your unique body compared to us ponies, you have certain advantages that most can’t access,” Celestia said, “So I have an offer where you couldn’t refuse in your right mind.”

“Y-you mean-” Escanor asked before he cut himself off for the princesses to continue

“So here is my offer, come work for me as my butler,” Celestia said, “And in return, I’ll make sure all your needs are taken care of and not cut short.”

Escanor fell to his knees with tears in his eyes, “Y-you mean it?” When Celestia nodded her head, he fell upon his face. “T-thank you.” Those were the last words he said before he became overwhelmed with tears of joy.