• Published 11th Mar 2021
  • 4,087 Views, 129 Comments

Sun's Butler - Hydreigon_Omega



After fleeing from the holy knights of Liones, Escanor finds himself in a land of talking ponies and ends up scoring a job as Celestia's Personal Servant

  • ...
14
 129
 4,087

Chapter 5

The everfree forest was a dangerous place to be, especially at night. Celestia knew this because both she and her sister used to rule over it, before they moved to Canterlot to be more involved with their ponies. Celestia had made sure to pick up Escanor’s glasses as memorabilia in case she found him dead in the everfree. Seeing the old black bark trees of the everfree brought back memories of when they ruled together before the Nightmare Moon incident. Celestia didn’t want to lose somepony, or in this case someone, close to her, not again.

She had always appreciated the poems that he made for her, all of which shined either, or in some cases both, Celestia and Luna as being some sort of positive light. Ever since Celestia had banished her sister, she had struggled with her own self image being clouded with guilt, and his poems had a way of helping her when no other pony’s word could. She was happy to always know that she had a friend near her whenever she needed one after a long day. Now it was her turn to be a friend when he needed one.

As Celestia progressed through the forest, she saw a familiar axe, it was the same giant golden axe that Escanor had used to defeat Discord. She never knew that it was so big, the axe head itself was taller than Celestia, even if she did stand on her back hooves for extra height. Escanor shouldn’t be too far away now. Celestia kept a watchful eye on her surroundings, not only for timberwolves, but also Escanor who probably was weeping while scared for his life in this forest. Celestia felt ashamed at herself that Escanor felt like he’d keep such a secret, like his ‘curse’, as he called it, hidden from her.

“Escanor?” Celestia called out, “where are you?”

Celestia’s call for her friend was echoed back by quiet weeping, not quite balling somepony’s eyes out, but quiet sobs. Barely audible, but she could still hear it. Celestia made sure to be quiet as to not scare Escanor when she would see him. A small cave came into view, the weeping only grew louder as she entered it. A familiar body shape came into view, bipedal like most dragons, but he was frail and wingless, but something she hadn’t seen before was a red lion tattoo on his back. Celestia didn’t know that Escanor had hidden something like that under his shirt.

“I can’t believe I lost control again.” Escanor sighed not hearing Celestia enter over his sobs, “Now I’ve gone and lost my only chance at having a life here. At least I managed to protect her.”

‘Protect her?’ Celestia though, ‘is… is he in love with somepony? Or is he just talking about me because I’m royalty?’

“Now the princesses fear me and probably already sent thousands of guards to get rid of me.” Escanor said with a sniffle, “Why was I born with such a curse? It was foolish of me to think that I could stay here with this curse of mine.”

Celestia didn’t know what to do as she watched her friend cry. Escanor was crying so much that his body was shaking. Celestia wanted to help, but it was impossible for her to think of any kind or caring words for this occasion. She tried to rummaging through her memory for any words she could comfort him with. Then she recalled what Luna had said earlier that day.


“This must be his curse he told about.” Luna said as her body began to tremble slightly

“Curse?” Celestia couldn’t believe what her sister said, “What do you mean ‘his curse’?”

“Last night he told us about his curse. That he turns into a monster at sunrise and goes back to normal after sunset.” Luna explains, “If he’s able to hold his own against discord like this, equestria could be in grave danger if he turns against us.”

“Then why hasn’t he told us until now?” Celestia demanded, she felt enraged after being lied to, even though she didn’t show it.

“He didn’t wish to harm the bonds he shared with both of us.” Luna said, “up until now his glasses kept it dormant, but now, the curse is in full effect. He won’t be back to normal before nightfall.”

Celestia felt ashamed for even being angry at him, he didn’t keep this a secret because he was a traitor, but rather he feared Celestia fearing him for it. She watched Escanor with her enhanced vision. Escanor wasn’t a monster, at least not what she would call a monster, he was still her friend. Even if he was now completely jacked, for lack of a better term, he was still Escanor, her butler and more importantly, her friend.


Celestia came out of her memory and back into reality, Escanor sat in front of her and did not notice her in the slightest. Celestia approached him, trying her best to not scare him. At least until she stepped on a branch she didn’t see making Escanor almost jump out of his skin, before he quickly backed up against the wall in fear.

“Please don’t hurt me.” Escanor whimpered as he tried to backup more but was stopped by the wall.

“Escanor…” Celestia said, “please, I just want to talk.”

“Why would you want to talk to a monster like me?” Escanor said, sniffling, “You're better off leaving before you have to raise the sun. I can’t control myself after you do that.”

“Escanor, even if you view yourself as a monster, I will never look at you in such a way.” Celestia said, “You’ve always been a great friend to both me and my sister. Please come back, you’ve saved the entirety of Equestria, you’re so much more than the monster you think you are. Please come back.”

“I can’t,” Escanor said, “I would just be putting others at risk if I ever lose control again.”

“Then you're probably going to need these.”

Celestia illuminated her horn as she levitated Escanor’s enchanted glasses over to him. Escanor the pair dropped down into his hands as he just looked at them as the sorrow refused to escape his eyes. He just continued to cry as he looked down at the glasses, Escanor felt that he owed something to Celestia for going out of her way to get his glasses, but he had lost everything and was once again at the lowest he could be.

“This is only a temporary solution…” Escanor wept, “If they ever fall off I’d probably lose control immediately. Just let me live out the rest of my days with other monsters like me.”

“Escanor…” Celestia’s heartfelt words weren’t getting through to him, maybe this trick would work, “Escanor, if you want to spend the rest of your life in this forest I'll let you do just that. But I won’t let you go without a challenge.”

“Huh?” Escanor stuttered out in surprise, “W-w-what do you mean?”

“Tomorrow at high noon, my sister and I will duel you.” Celestia said, “And it will be on your terms of victory. If my sister and I win, you have to return to being our butler, but if you win you win, you can continue living out here in the everfree.”

“B-but princess! It is suicidal to fight me when I’m like that.” Escanor said, “If I lose control… I don’t even want to think about what’ll happen.”

“Look, Escanor, you are my friend. And true friends will do anything to help one another,” Celestia said, “And I am willing to do whatever it takes to help you.”