• Published 16th Feb 2021
  • 1,293 Views, 370 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Blue Destiny - MagnetBolt



Far above the wasteland, where the skies are blue and war is a distant memory, a dark conspiracy and a threat from the past collide to threaten everything.

  • ...
11
 370
 1,293

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 127: Rip & Tear

“Is it done yet?” I asked. The ritual cathedral was a carefully organized mess. Star Swirl had built an array out of candles and chalk circles that looked like astronomical charts sketched by a madpony trying to map the orbits of invisible dark stars in an imaginary sky. Destiny was using circuitry and wires to build an altar around the metal icosahedron she’d built on the Exodus Red.

On the border where the two methods met, the two wizards were arguing about how to join their creations into one cohesive whole. Destiny looked up at me with obvious annoyance.

“No, Chamomile, it’s not done yet,” she growled. “But maybe we’d be done by now if somepony would stop trying to use an alchemical array when they’ve been outdated for centuries!”

“I would stop if you had a suggestion on a replacement that didn’t involve the phrase ‘in theory’ or rely on guesswork,” Star Swirl retorted. He sounded dangerously calm. “I shouldn’t be surprised you think they’re outdated. You can’t draw a chalk circle to save your life, and it might if you ever get caught in a daemon summoning!”

“Is there anything I could help with?” I asked. “I could carry things! Or… I could bring you some drinks! It’s important to stay hydrated!”

Destiny sighed. “A bottle of water would be great, Chamomile. Go get one and pour it over this old fogey’s head!”

“I wanted an expert, not a diva,” Star Swirl grumbled. “I’d have better luck going back in time and teaching myself everything there is to know about megaspells!”

“That’s what we really need, temporal magic in the middle of a giant spell array,” Destiny snorted. “You’d have even odds of turning yourself into a foal or a pile of dust!”

Magic crackled around their horns, and I was absolutely sure I was about to have to jump between them and take a giant magic bolt to the face to keep them from killing each other -- but then the red alert siren sounded, to the relief of everyone involved.

Wait, actually, it wasn’t a good sound at all! It was a bad sound!

“That’s not good,” I said, repeating my thoughts in case I hadn’t said them out loud like I did with a lot of my inner monologue. I carefully avoided candles and chalk lines and danced over to an intercom. “This is Chamomile. What’s happening?”

“Oh hey, Chamomile,” Quattro replied. “Nothing you need to worry about.”

I frowned. I couldn’t tell if she was lying. I was pretty sure she had to be lying, though, because it was Quattro and I only had a limited amount of brain damage. “Are you sure? Because that sounds like a big alarm.”

“Let me rephrase that. It’s nothing you can do anything about. The Exodus Red just peeked over the horizon and we’re staring at each other while we get into weapons range. Your friend Midnight is talking to them. How’s that spell going?”

“Uh…” I looked back at Star Swirl and Destiny. “Tell Midnight to keep them busy.”

“That could be an issue. Did you know she’s not very diplomatic?”

The deck rocked under me. Just a tiny bit. More alarms blared.

“What was that?” I asked.

“Um.” Quattro paused significantly. “I’m being told it’s plasma. Can you ask Destiny if there are any big guns on this ship? It might be really important soon.”

“We don’t need guns, we’ll have this megaspell working soon!” Destiny shouted over at me. The lights flickered around us. Destiny swore. “Assuming we don’t get blown out of the sky!”

“I’ll be on the bridge in a minute,” I said. “Or I could do damage control! Do we need damage control?”

“This isn’t a problem you can punch, Chamomile,” Quattro said. “Wait, belay that. I’m being told there’s a problem you can punch. We’ve got a boarding party incoming.”

“Right! Okay!” I tried not to tap my hooves on the deck in excitement. It wasn’t blood thirst, I just needed to do something to help. Also maybe a little literal blood thirst since I was probably a little vampireish. “I’ll go to the tram!”

I ran out of the cathedral and the complicated math and arguments inside. The tram slid into the station just as I arrived, obviously sent just for me to take me to the party. I skidded on my hooves inside the private train and impatiently waited for the door to close.

The pneumatic door hissed shut and a recorded voice spoke up on the ancient, crackling speakers. “Next stop: Shuttlebay C. Next stop: Shuttlebay C.”

I mentally prepared myself. I had to be ready for a fight.

Just as I was getting myself prepared to take the lives of a squad of semi-innocent ponies, the tram lurched.

“What was that?” I asked.

A new alarm started, and I felt the tram leave the tracks. Everything descended into chaos very quickly. I couldn’t see out, but I felt the speeding train crash into something, turn halfway over, fill with sparks, and I was hanging on to things and screaming. There was a sudden stop that flung me into the front of the tram hard enough to go through the thin wall, and I fell into an open space, rolling to a stop with fire everywhere around me. The armor I was wearing saved me from the worst of the road rash but I still felt like I’d had my oil changed by the least delicate formula one team in the Enclave.

“Where am I?” I groaned, getting back on my hooves. It had to be a cargo bay of some kind, but it was more accurately described as a disaster zone right now. Burning metal and broken walls stretched across the ceiling, and I could see into several other decks, debris falling down from the ragged, glowing edge.

More alarms whooped around me. I squinted through the flames and smoke. Something screeched above me. I looked up.

The broken tram was right at the edge of the track. It slid forward. I swore and ran for it. The car came down , crashing into the deck with an apocalyptic sound. Something in the floor ruptured, and flames shot out in a geyser of doom like a dragon’s breath.

“This isn’t what I wanted!” I told the universe, running for the first door I saw and slamming my hoof into the controls. “Come on, come on,” I mumbled. The cargo door squealed, starting to slide open from the bottom up. It made it a hoof-width above the deck and came to a halt. I cursed fate again and squatted down, trying to lift it up.

I managed to get the heavy door open a tiny bit more and something inside the mechanism snapped, slamming the door shut, the sudden release of weight making me lose my grip.

“Oh come on!” I shouted. This was when I remembered I had claws that could cut through metal. I was not a very smart pony, and things were on fire around me, so some panic and lack of awareness was forgivable. I flicked the claws open and attacked the hatch, carving an opening through it.

Sparks exploded from it, the edge molten when I kicked the rough circle out of the metal and stepped through to the other side. The corridor here seemed normal, but I had no idea where ‘here’ was, aside from the fact that it was somewhere near the tram line and what was probably plasma cannon damage.

“Intercom…” I muttered to myself, walking down the hallway and looking at the walls. I finally spotted one at the next junction. I ran to it and hit the button. “Hello? Quattro? Is anypony there?”

“Chamomile, is that you?” Quattro asked.

“Yeah, there was an accident with the tram. I need directions on where to go from here.”

“It looks like you’re in one of the sealed parts of the ship.”

“Sealed parts?”

“Midnight said they’ve been running with a skeleton crew and-- wait, no. I totally misunderstood what she said. She meant--”

I heard something rattle in the shadows behind me. “Thanks, I think I understand.”

I turned around and saw animated bones in the tattered remains of a flight suit. Bright stars of light blinked in empty eye sockets. It hissed. I don’t know how. It didn’t have a tongue. It didn’t even have lungs!

“Hey,” I said. “I know you’re the walking dead, but maybe we can be cool about this?”


“That was not cool,” I said between panting breaths, my back to the sealed bulkhead door. I had no idea how many skeletons had attacked me. I started running when they started reassembling themselves.

“Chamomile!” a voice said in my ear. I yelped and swiped at the air, lightning claws popping out of my leg and slashing through the empty space.

A mote of light hung there. I stared at it for a moment, then squinted and focused on it.

“Hello?” I tried. “...are you a magic breezie?”

“What? No! Chamomile, it’s Destiny.”

Come to think of it the floating spark was the same color as her magical aura.

“Oh,” I said. “How are you doing this?”

“It’s a sending spell. Like a radio only it’s giving me a headache trying to keep it going for more than one sentence. I need you to get me a blank talisman.”

“Uh, okay, I can try that,” I said. I got up. “What kind?”

“The biggest you can find.”

‘Big’ isn’t a type of gemstone.”

“I’ll make anything work as long as you get here fast!”

The spell fizzled out, the spark disappearing. I took a deep breath. A talisman. I knew about them a little. I’d spent a few years in a school in a Stable that was really focused around teaching young unicorns magical vocational trades.

I trotted down the hallway to the next junction and hit the intercom button.

“Chamomile to the bridge,” I said. The speaker crackled to life, and I heard distant yelling and alarm bells before I heard a voice.

“Chamomile?” Quattro asked. “Hey! Midnight says you don’t need to worry about the boarding party.”

“Because of the skeletons?”

“How did you guess?”

“I’m lucky like that. I need directions. I’m lost and Destiny asked me to bring her a talisman.”

“Hold on.” Quattro paused.

I waited, my hoof tapping. Was I hearing scraping from somewhere? I looked around at the shadows. I didn’t see movement, but I could have sworn there was a rattling sound somewhere behind me.

“Herr Doktor pulled up your location. There should be a cargo bay full of supplies near you.”


The directions hadn’t been much better than ‘head west and look for signs.’ Quattro had been too distracted by something more important to walk me through every step. The deck kept vibrating in the distant, worrying way an earthquake could be a tiny tremor here but collapse entire cities elsewhere, and every time I felt it in my hooves I worried about what that meant.

Old pneumatics squealed, mechanical force overcoming centuries of being sealed shut with oil having long turned to sludge and dust. The noise was loud enough to wake the dead. I shoved my way in, grunting and squeezing through the half-open hatch.

I looked inside, and confused ponies looked back at me.

“Uh,” I said. They were filthy, ragged, and naked aside from jewelry that seemed to be made from wire and the shinest components a pony could pry out of a circuit board. Body paint swirled across their faces and chests in abstract swirls of red, gold, and blue.

The bravest of them approached me. She carried a spear made from a long metal pipe topped with a chevron-shaped piece of deck plating hoof-ground to a fine edge. She poked my chest. The tip tinked against my armor.

“I come in peace,” I said. “You seem like a very nice feral tribe. Do you have any-- oh!”

Right in the middle of the room was exactly what I needed. They’d built a sculpture that looked something like the Princesses Luna and Celestia merged into one being, complete with two heads, four wings, and the most intimidating expression of divine anger the artist could manage. A huge talisman the size of my hoof had been added as the center of the eclipsed sun it had as a cutie mark.

The tribe looked at the statue, then at me. I pushed the spear aside.

“Would it be okay for me to borrow that talisman?” I asked. “It’s for a good cause. I don’t know how much you ponies are aware of what goes on outside of here. There’s some really crazy stuff going on and… have you been living here for two hundred years?”

“Demon!” the lead mare shouted. She stabbed me.


I ran faster, the talisman held tight against my side by a wing. A spear narrowly missed my head, thrown by the entire tribe of ponies that I’d offended.

“It’s for a good cause!” I shouted back at them. They didn’t seem to appreciate how much more I needed the big, magically pure chunk of sapphire than they did. Actually, I wasn’t entirely sure how much more I needed it.

It was still for a good cause.

I ran out into the next intersection and got blasted in the face by lasers. I didn’t even get warning! Just lasers, right in my face. The talisman went flying for entirely related reasons and I fell on my stupid face.

“Hostiles at six!” a panicked pony shouted. “Down!”

“You shot me!” I yelped. “Why did you do that?!”

Not down,” somepony corrected. “It’s still talking.”

Another burst of bean fire scattered across the hallway. I rolled to the side, taking cover behind one of the elaborate support arches. My face felt like it was on fire. I gingerly touched it and hissed. That was a bad burn.

“We should take her captive and make her head us to the bridge,” one of the armed ponies suggested. I leaned around the corner and looked at them.

“Are you from the Exodus Red?” I yelled over to them.

“If you surrender, we can promise you’ll be shown mercy,” the pony with the biggest hat assured me. “Our great leader, Cozy Glow, is the rightful ruler of all Equestria and-- oh buck!”

The floor started vibrating harder and faster. It felt like a train was coming down the hallway. Behind the dozen ponies in the boarding party, the wall tore open. Dark magic and ivory rolled out into the light, tightly packed bones holding themselves in a single mass, glaring at us with baleful eyes.

“They followed me through the walls?” I groaned. I ran across the corridor while the soldiers were distracted and grabbed the talisman where I’d dropped it. The shapeless dead thing started rolling towards me like a juggernaut, picking up speed.

I yelped and ran the other way. The soldiers shot at the skeleton, blackening bone and leaving scorch marks on the deck. The smartest parts of their fireteam ran after me.

The feral tribe of ponies ran into us at the intersection. They held up spears and crude bows made from spring steel and twisted mane hair. They looked past us at the avalanche of death and proved that they were the wisest of us all, running without even needing to think about it.

“I’m sorry for however much of this is my fault!” I yelled over all the screaming.


“You’re one of the bravest ponies I ever met,” I assured the small stallion. He’d been one of the members of the boarding party, and he’d saved my life with an act of heroism that I would never be able to forget.

I squeezed his hoof. He squeezed back, his grip weak. Blood pooled around his other hoof. He coughed, blood bubbling from his lips.

“Tell my wife… I…”

He went limp before he finished. I closed his unseeing eyes.

“What was his name?” asked the feral tribespony standing next to me.

“I have no idea,” I said. “I never asked and it didn’t come up.”

I stood up and brushed myself off. I looked around.

“Hey, does that elevator still work?” I asked, walking up to it and pressing the call button. The tribespony looked at the crumpled form of the soldier with obvious unease. I was pleased to note that the button lit up and a bell chimed when I pressed it.

“How are you going to find his wife?” she asked.

“Huh?” I blinked.

“He made a last request. To--”

“Oh. Nah, I’m not doing that,” I said dismissively. “I’m really busy right now.”

I waited in front of the door. Where was that elevator? Things were really getting awkward.

“It seems wrong to just leave him like this after he sacrificed his life in such a brave and heroic way,” the tribespony said. Her accent was really bothering me. Not because it was unpleasant. It was actually very nice, I just couldn’t place it. Somewhere in Eastern Unicornia? But then other times she sounded practically like she was from Olde Trottingham, complete with extra vowels.

The elevator arrived. I stepped inside.

“You can have him,” I told her. “You girls are probably cannibals, right?”

“What?!”

“I’m just assuming! There’s a limited food supply and-- I’m just saying if you wanted to eat him, I won’t tell anypony.” I gave her a conspiratorial wink.

“We are not cannibals.”

“Sure,” I said. “Anyway, thanks again for the talisman!” I pressed the button for the highest floor. It lit up and dinged. Things were finally going my way.

I held up the sapphire. It had survived despite the amazing adventure that we’d been on. The trials and tribulations, the room full of whipped cream cans, the biggest skeleton I’d seen since the last giant skeleton I’d seen.

“That’s a holy relic of my tribe and we need it to protect--”

The elevator door slid shut between us.

“Okay, glad that’s over,” I sighed. It had gotten really weird towards the end. “They seemed like nice people. I’ll make sure to come back and apologize later.”


“I’m back!” I called out.

“What took you so long?!” Destiny shouted back. I took that as permission to enter and stepped past the threshold into the cathedral. Wires were strung halfway to the ceiling like an insane spider had built a copper web. I could feel magic thick in the air.

“What did you need the talisman for?” I asked, looking up at the tangle and trying to figure out what it was for.

“It’s to keep her bloody horrific machine from killing us all,” Star Swirl grumbled. He took the sapphire out of my hooves and looked at it, flipping it around in his magic. “Good enough. Diamond would be better.”

“Diamond wouldn’t be better, we don’t have a diamond engraver,” a second Star Swirl said, looking slightly more frazzled than the first. He snatched the sapphire away from the first. I blinked and rubbed my eyes.

“Oh no,” I said. “I think something’s gone wrong.”

“Nothing’s wrong, I just looped myself a few times to get the work done faster,” a third Star Swirl assured me. His hooves were covered in grease. “It’s the only way we’re going to get this done before we get shot out of the sky.”

“Hey, Chamomile,” Destiny said, waving to me absently. She squinted. “You got shot in the face.”

“A little,” I confirmed.

“I know Star Swirl has a healing potion,” Destiny said. “Hey, one of you--”

“I’m not giving it to her, she’ll just end up hurt again and I need it more,” one of them said instantly. A second one nodded in agreement. The third Star Swirl rolled his eyes and took it from the complainer’s pack.

“I remember being annoyed at myself for taking this,” the third Star Swirl said. “Don’t drink it yet. You’ll know when.”

“Oh, that’s ominous,” I mumbled. I took the healing potion gingerly. The bottle was more ornate than the standard kind.

“You think you’re so smart just because you know what happens in the next few minutes,” the Star Swirl that had been stolen from scoffed.

“No, you’re all idiots,” said a fourth Star Swirl. He wasn’t working at all. He looked much more relaxed than the others and was reclining in a chair. “It takes you until my loop to decide to go back an extra hour and get a shower and a drink.”

“Are you from a time loop where we’re lazy bastards?” Star Swirl demanded. I’d lost track of which was which.

The relaxing Star Swirl smirked. “I recall telling myself to work smarter, not harder.”

“Good advice,” Destiny said. “That’s why I’m here.” She was hard at work with a few small tools, making marks on the sapphire’s surface.

“Is there anything else I can do to help?” I asked. “I don’t want to be in the way. I know I’m big and clumsy.”

You can bugger off--” the earliest Star Swirl groused.

“Don’t go anywhere,” the fourth, oldest Star Swirl said. “There’s about fifteen seconds before we need you.”

“Need her for what?” the technically youngest Star Swirl asked. The oldest one held up a hoof and waited, counting down. The deck started vibrating in a new and exciting way that didn’t feel like weapons fire. The air filled with a ringing tone. It was a sudden change in pressure, like being trapped in a flooding tunnel.

The air tore open. A huge claw ripped right out of nowhere and into somewhere, slicing through dangling wires and opening the way for the rest of it. It was almost like a pony, but with smooth, pink skin that glittered with metallic slime. Chitin covered parts of it, and its mane was a mass of tentacles hanging down around its face and neck.

It was beautiful, with unearthly grace and an aura of power and heat that--

Star Swirl shot it with a bolt of magic. The thing’s too-perfect face split open on hidden seams and peeled back around a screaming octopus-like beak.

“Daemons,” Star Swirl swore. “I should have known they’d show up. Bloody things love poking their heads through the fabric of reality when it’s thin enough. Bunch of scavengers is what they are!”

“Should I…” I hesitated.

“Yes, you need to kill the damned thing, and I don’t use that term ironically! Shove it back in that portal!”

I charged forward and shoulder-checked it while it was distracted by a bolt of hot spellfire from another copy of Star Swirl. The oldest one cleared his throat and motioned above me. I looked up and dodged to the side, narrowly avoiding a strike from a long scorpion-like tail with a spade-bladed tip.

The thing raised its clawed hoof. I knocked it aside with a crackling claw of my own, blistering its flesh and sending it back a step. It was still halfway out into the real world, and this close to it I could see where it had come from. A chaotic tangle of images, colors without names, shapes that couldn’t be seen in three dimensions alone.

“Don’t look directly into the Warp!” Star Swirl shouted.

“I looked!” I yelled back.

“Well stop looking at it!” he commanded. I shook my head and knocked another blow from the daemon aside, spinning around and kicking it in the chest. It had strangely soft, spongy flesh, like its whole body was made out of rubber.

“Chamomile, please get rid of the daemon, I’m trying to work!” Destiny shouted over at me. “You’re being too loud!”

“I’m sorry?” I apologized. I ducked under a scything claw that would have taken my head off.

“Don’t apologize, just fix it!” she ordered. I turned around and slashed, cutting through the thing and earling a gout of horrible yellow ichor spraying all over me. It screeched and vomited up something purple and gelatinous. I kicked it again and shoved it into the portal. One of the more frazzled Star Swirls cast a spell on the edges of the portal itself, the seam closing as if a giant zipper was pulled across it.

Hate these things,” Star Swirl mumbled.

“I need a shower,” I whined. The ichor smelled like lavender oil and musk.

“Why do you think I went back and got one?” the oldest Star Swirl asked from where he was still reclining in his folding chair.

“Good idea,” the most frazzled Star Swirl agreed, vanishing in a flash of light and tachyons.

“Are there any other issues I should know about?” I asked. “More demons? Ghosts? I haven’t had to wrestle a robot yet today.”

“Yes,” Destiny said. “We might have encountered a small problem with the spell.”

I looked around the cathedral. “Small?”

“We’re trying to patch the issue!” Destiny yelled defensively. “It turns out somepony forgot to mention that the Banishment spell has a range of zero!”

“Range of zero?” I asked. “But I know it can grab a whole city, or one of these ships. The whole thing with the Exodus White is what gave me this idea to begin with!”

“That’s an area of effect, not a range,” one of the Star Swirls said. They were starting to vanish now, loops closing and finishing up their small tasks getting things ready. “What would be a metaphor you insane, violent ponies from the wasteland would understand…”

“I already understood you,” I said.

Nevertheless, he persisted. “It’s the difference between a land mine and a grenade. This spell is a land mine. The only way to trigger it is to step on it. The caster gets banished along with the banish-ee. The same thing happened when I used it on the Pony of Shadows. We’re trying to turn it into a grenade we can throw.”

“And?” I asked.

“It’s not working,” Destiny sighed. She put down her tools. She kicked a candle over in frustration and trotted over to me. She was about to hug me for support, then stopped herself, cast a cleaning spell on me that wiped the ichor away, and resumed the hug.

“It’s that bad?” I asked.

“I’ve never sympathized with you more,” Destiny said. She let go after a moment, looking slightly more composed. “Star Swirl, tell the bridge we’re going with Plan R.”

“Plan R sounds pretty far down the list.”

“It’s for ramming speed and it’s definitely not my first choice,” Destiny confirmed. Star Swirl stepped over to the intercom and started arguing with the ponies on the bridge. “We already discussed it with the others after we found the problem. I’m sorry, I didn’t have time to talk to you about it.”

“The spell is only going to work at point-blank range,” I said. “So…”

“So we’ll set it off right as we crash into them,” Destiny said. The deck lurched under my hooves. The engines were in high gear now. I could feel their urgency in my bones. Maybe the Black Dragon’s influence was putting me more in tune with the ship.

“I think it’s an excellent plan,” the relaxing Star Swirl said. He pulled a pocket watch from his robe and looked at it. He nodded to the version of himself on the intercom. That one vanished back into a time loop, and we were left with only one smug wizard.

“We’ll get banished along with them, but it’s still the best option,” Destiny said. “I’m just sorry so many ponies got caught up in my mistakes. Most of them didn’t deserve it. Presumably. I assume that statistically, some of them were decent ponies.”

The ship shuddered around us. More alarms went off.

“So, uh,” I looked around. “How long do we have before--”

There was a bone-shattering crunch of metal. Screams filled the air. Everything was happening all at once.

“The spell should have gone off!” Destiny yelled in alarm, shouting over the noise. She looked around. “Oh that stupid-- the daemon severed the wires for the detonator!”

I looked at the tangle of lines the thing had cut with its claws. Some of them were sparking intermittently. “Can we fix it?”

“Do you trust me?” Destiny asked.

“Of course I do.”

“And you’ve got that healing potion?” she continued, giving me a nervous smile. When I nodded she pointed to two wires. I grabbed onto them. A surge of electric power thundered through me, seizing every muscle in my body.

“This really hurts!” I yelped. “Is it working?!”

“The trigger mechanism isn’t firing!” Destiny said. “Hold on! I need to rig something up to set it off!”

“Right, time for Star Swirl the Bearded to save the day,” the oldest, refreshed Star Swirl said. He stood up and put his drink down, revealing that he’d been sitting next to a huge red button. “You ponies need an adult just to press a bloody button for you. Shameful.”

He casually depressed the button. The icosahedron at the center of everything erupted with green lightning. The candles in every spell array drawn on the floor flared, fire reaching to head-height, the wax melting almost instantly. A cascade of sparks danced around the wires above us. Talismans glowed.

It all happened in an instant, but it was the kind of instant that gets fixed in your mind and you see every part of it in slow motion. The megaspell went off. The sky went white above us. The surge of power through the wires hit a crescendo and threw me back, slamming my into the wall.

I groaned. That had hurt. I was pretty sure my heart wasn’t working properly.

Destiny pushed a bottle into my mouth, and I drank the healing potion.

“I told you it was smart to wait a bit before you took that,” Star Swirl said. He looked up through the skylight of the cathedral. I followed his gaze. There was something massive outside. Stone arches curving through space, roads at impossible angles that were also walls and ceilings. I recognized it instantly.

It was the cage at the center of Limbo. The place where space and time were most twisted.

“Welcome back,” Star Swirl said. “So, what’s the next part of your brilliant plan?”

PreviousChapters Next